Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016?

+9
petee_c
CapeCoddess
StrongAsMeat
Scorpio Rising
yolos
Kelejan
sanderson
trolleydriver
Margay77
13 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016?

Post  trolleydriver 7/7/2016, 9:13 am

Kelejan wrote:... the trouble is that I cannot harvest much of it because it is out of reach of me even standing on a ten-foot ladder.  The problem with the ladder is that the ground underneath is not level and I dare not go up more than a rung or two,  as it wobbles.  What I need is some scaffolding.

Are you kidding me???  Kelejan, please be careful.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 59px-Ladder-Icon-Aufstieg-mitte
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016?

Post  yolos 7/7/2016, 10:08 am

trolleydriver wrote:
Kelejan wrote:... the trouble is that I cannot harvest much of it because it is out of reach of me even standing on a ten-foot ladder.  The problem with the ladder is that the ground underneath is not level and I dare not go up more than a rung or two,  as it wobbles.  What I need is some scaffolding.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 59px-Ladder-Icon-Aufstieg-mitte
I have had the same problem with a wobbly step ladder trying to wash the windows or clean the gutters.  What worked for me was to buy a sheet of 2 ft by 4 ft plywood at home depot and put that under the legs.  If the ladder is on a slight slope, I just put pieces of 2"x10" pieces of lumber under each leg.  Sometimes a brick paver to level it off enough to keep it from wobbling and pressing unevenly into the ground.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/7/2016, 5:35 pm

I decided to work on my compost today. Bad idea.  Temp is 85 F, humidity 50%, feels like 96. When I went indoors after doing the work I started to feel quite ill. The cure was to lie down and watch France and Germany play a semifinal match in Euro 2016.

The compost is actually working out quite well even though I am using an "unscientific" approach.  I don't measure anything.  I have no idea what the ratio is to greens and browns.  I just throw in chopped leaves, coffee grounds, non-diseased plant material, and kitchen scraps (banana peels, eggshells, unused veggie bits, cardboard, etc.). One of the best things I did earlier this year was to build a compost screener.

Today I got two and half wheel barrows of compost from my plastic composter.

Composter puking compost.
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 IMG_2111-001_zpstdo5frib

Screened compost.
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 IMG_2117_zpswmcwtogk

Looking down inside the composter.
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 IMG_2122_zpsh8wtmfb3

Looking up into the light from the door at the bottom of the composter after most of the material was removed.
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 IMG_2123_zpsereos6wl

This material was screened out, then mixed with more leaves and coffee grounds, before being put back into the composter.
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 IMG_2125_zpsion4gd18

Finished compost being stored in bins.  Mrs TD also took some to put around her potato plants.
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 IMG_2126_zpsg5cz3tft
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/7/2016, 6:44 pm

lovely! You're so funny taking that photo from the bottom up in the compost bin. That gave me a good chuckle. I don't measure anything in my compost pile either. It's all good. Be careful of that heat, TD. It's been brutal here too with the high humidity.

CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/7/2016, 8:09 pm

trolleydriver wrote:

Darling, what you need is a teenager! Call the probate court, ask for the probation officers for the juveniles, and I bet that they have several supervised jobs situations that will get the job done under your direct supervision, and that of their probation officer. sunny
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/7/2016, 9:08 pm

That sounds like an idea.  I would not let them do it unless under the supervision of the probation officer.

What I would be bothered about, is that the worker would know that i need help so I   could be vulnerable.  I will look into it, thans for the suggestion.

In the past I have had help from my Mormon Neighbour who has supplied free help from the Mormon Elders, young men between the ages of 18 and twenty who have to go out into the world and, apart from trying to preach, have an obligation to help people like me with actual labour. They have all been very nice young men.  At the moment my neighbour and his wife are away for a couple of months, maybe more.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/7/2016, 9:12 pm

yolos wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:

I have had the same problem with a wobbly step ladder trying to wash the windows or clean the gutters.  What worked for me was to buy a sheet of 2 ft by 4 ft plywood at home depot and put that under the legs.  If the ladder is on a slight slope, I just put pieces of 2"x10" pieces of lumber under each leg.  Sometimes a brick paver to level it off enough to keep it from wobbling and pressing unevenly into the ground.

Before I read your reply, I suddenly remembered that I have a sheet  of plywood tucked away in my shed. I must dig it out and see if it will go completely under the feet.   Then I could go up another rung at least. I hate to waste all those cherries as I know a couple of people who would love some. Just so long as I do not have to pit them. Very Happy
ETA: I have finished making jam with the four pounds I collected.  Such a lot of work but I know I will enjoy them.  One seldom sees cherry jam in the stores, and they will not be organic at the price they are offering them for. Now to cool the jam and see if it has set.  If not, I will use them to top off yogurt etc.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/8/2016, 1:20 am

trolleydriver wrote:

I second this!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/8/2016, 1:25 am

Kelejan wrote: Now to cool the jam and see if it has set.  If not, I will use them to top off yogurt etc.
What a great idea for using up my peach jam that didn't set. I didn't read the instructions carefully so I only used one packet instead of two. Embarassed

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  petee_c 7/8/2016, 11:00 am

My son picked our 1st snap peas yesterday out of our garden. He got just over a dozen. Small but tasty. Only 2-3 peas per pod. 

We are away for a week, excited to see what else will be edible when we get back. 

Garden has been running on a gravity fed drip timer for the past couple weeks. Doing well on 3 minutes each morning around 8am.

Peter
petee_c
petee_c

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/8/2016, 11:55 am

Nice petee_c.

I just heard on the radio that this part of Ontario has received less than 60% of the average rainfall for the past three months. Hot and dry has been the word. My front lawn is like hay.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  petee_c 7/8/2016, 1:10 pm

Yeah, definitely dry. 

With the timer and drip irrigation from Lee valley, I think I am watering about 4 gallons or so in the 3 minutes the timer has been on. 

I have two 55 gallon rain barrels plumbed together and it's been working decently. The one barrel is supposed to syphon into the 2nd barrel which has the spigot but for some reason, there is still about a 6" difference in water height between the 2 barrels. 

I think there is some resistance in my syphon hose, but not sure how. I m using about 10' of 1.5" drain hose to connect the 2 barrels. 

Peter
petee_c
petee_c

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/8/2016, 1:16 pm

That's a great setup Peter.  I would like to have something like that.  Lee Valley's HQ and store is within walking distance of my house.  We will be going away for a period of time and I will have to rely on nature's rain to water my garden. It worked last summer when we were away.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/8/2016, 3:38 pm

Went out and bought a bale of straw today. We have a few strawberry plants in one of the new SFG beds that were built this year. The few strawberries that we are getting are rotting underneath when they sit directly on the MM. So we will be putting straw underneath them. Wow is that stuff messy. The trunk of my Camry is full of loose bits of straw and as I moved the bale I left a trail of straw from the car to the backyard.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  petee_c 7/8/2016, 5:00 pm

Sorry for the duplicate and sideways photos. Trying to do this on my phone while riding in a car. 

Irrigation black parts from LV. timer which works on low pressure systems from Amazon.ca blue barrels $5 each from kijiji. 

Peter 
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 20160712CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 20160710

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 20160711

Last edited by sanderson on 7/9/2016, 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Admin deleted duplicates)
petee_c
petee_c

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in July 2016? - Page 2 Empty straw

Post  Margay77 7/8/2016, 5:09 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Went out and bought a bale of straw today. We have a few strawberry plants in one of the new SFG beds that were built this year. The few strawberries that we are getting are rotting underneath when they sit directly on the MM. So we will be putting straw underneath them. Wow is that stuff messy. The trunk of my Camry is full of loose bits of straw and as I moved the bale I left a trail of straw from the car to the backyard.

I know of a place that delivers these for $35 I think....all over Ontario but I'm not sure about Ottawa.

http://www.truecoloursproducts.com/

And speaking of straw, our lawn is like straw as well, and one of the city trees on the boulevard has died.   Sad
Margay77
Margay77

Female Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/8/2016, 7:31 pm

Margay77 wrote:

I know of a place that delivers these for $35 I think....all over Ontario but I'm not sure about Ottawa.

http://www.truecoloursproducts.com/

The bale I bought cost me about $10 including sales tax.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  p14shooter 7/8/2016, 8:24 pm

well, in july I am now eating my first harvest of peas.  A month later than the plan, but plans gotta change with nature.  I keep eating some beet greens, but they do not seem to me bulbing up.  The carrots seem to be growing a little, and when I pulled back the peas, a lonely swiss chard seems to be growing.  The onions are bulbling up a bit, although I did figure the would be harvested by now, but this is my first half success with onions anyway.  The beans are growing good.  The spinach and leaf lettuce which I put in a planter at the front of the house seem to be doing ok.  Only one spinach has bolted so far.  I am just letting them grow to see how big they do get, and do see when they bolt so I know for next year.  The garlic is just starting to dry up so that should be coming up in another few weeks.  I did dig around a bit and one seems to be doing ok, and the other seems quite small.  Should find out soon how well they did.  As a note.  The peas I planted were little marvel.  I planted them as they were supposed to be short bush peas at 18-24" and I did not want to steak them.  However, they are 36" and would probably grow higher.  I guess if I am going to grow peas, I just gotta steak them.  They are quite a sweet pea.  Much better than the frozen ones we eat all year of course.  I just can't wait for the beans.  I love bush beans.  Especially yellow.  Although I did plant a square of red just to see.
p14shooter
p14shooter

Male Posts : 97

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/9/2016, 12:54 am

It rained again this morning so I did some painting instead.  I hope to do some work in the garden tomorrow, (Saturday) but the forecast is heavy rain and thunderstorms.
I did not get a chance to pick any more cherries so hope to pick some more before they all fall off the tree and attract the wasps.  The cherry jam I made still seems a bit runny but perhaps it will thicken up over time.  Maybe the cherries had far too much juice in them this year.

Time also to harvest the garlic, I am wondering if I left them too long in the ground.
I am looking forward now to the planting for the fall veggies, I missed the boat this year spending so much time dealing with wood-chips. Thank goodness I did not have two loads, the one load was enough for me to shift.

p14shooter, I agree we have to be adaptable with Nature.  She Rules! Enjoy your harvest.  I have not had too much success with beets either.  I believe it must be due to too much nitrogen, they grow leaves instead of bulbs. The same with radishes.  Last yer I did do better with the fall plantings.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/9/2016, 9:50 am

We have a monsoon going through Ottawa at the present time. The sky just opened up. It's raining so hard I can barely see the house across the street. We can sure use the rain but this is too much in a very short period (minutes) so most of it will probably flow away into the storm sewers. At least the straw I put down yesterday will be wet down and not blow away. And as I complete the paragraph it has tapered off to a more gentle rainfall. Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/9/2016, 10:31 pm

Once again the rain pelted down this morning and it seemed as though it was settling in for the rest of the day.
So I decided to go to our tiny farmer's market and took my large brolly and wore my gardening clothes under my raincoat. I arrived there and then had coffee with a friend.  Would you believe it, the rain stopped, the sun appeared and it got far too hot.  I was completely dressed the wrong way as I could not take off my raincoat without displaying my garden gear that makes me look like a bag lady. I hurried home, passing young girls with completely bare arms and legs, etc. Luckily I was only ten minutes walk away.

I am afraid I am not one of those ladies who dress up for gardening, snipping a flower here and there. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Margay77 7/10/2016, 5:49 am

Kelejan wrote:Once again the rain pelted down this morning and it seemed as though it was settling in for the rest of the day.
So I decided to go to our tiny farmer's market and took my large brolly and wore my gardening clothes under my raincoat. I arrived there and then had coffee with a friend.  Would you believe it, the rain stopped, the sun appeared and it got far too hot.  I was completely dressed the wrong way as I could not take off my raincoat without displaying my garden gear that makes me look like a bag lady. I hurried home, passing young girls with completely bare arms and legs, etc. Luckily I was only ten minutes walk away.

I am afraid I am not one of those ladies who dress up for gardening, snipping a flower here and there. Very Happy

The weather has been so unstable lately.....yesterday was supposed to be quite rainy here, but it was sunny and pleasant most of the day.  There was a brief torrential downpour just about 5.30 - 6, but then it cleared out nicely and we were able to go for a stroll after dinner.

We sure do need a couple of days of rain here tho.
Margay77
Margay77

Female Posts : 40

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/11/2016, 2:12 am

Today was a lovely day for working in the garden.  Not too hot, but bright and sunny and a little windy.  spent some time On my compost heap, sifting out enough for a new small bed.  Loads of worms, so I put some of those in my Wiggler Hilton.

I am thinking of harvesting some potatoes tomorrow that are in the adjacent 4x4, thereby freeing it up to take the turned compost. I really want to make some 3x3 for the compost boxes as 4x4 is simply too much for me to handle comfortably.  That's 27 cubit feet compared to 64 cubic feet. It's amazing what a difference adding one foot to a 3ft plank.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/11/2016, 2:37 pm

Kelejan wrote:I am afraid I am not one of those ladies who dress up for gardening, snipping a flower here and there. Very Happy
You are not alone!  Since my garden is in the back yard, it's seasonal PJs for me unless we are going somewhere.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/11/2016, 7:02 pm

Another heat wave has arrived in Southern and Eastern Ontario including Ottawa. A heat warning has been issued by Environment Canada. I will soon get to cool off for a few days in Alberta and British Columbia. The SFG will have to take care of itself.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum