Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! - Page 3 Toplef10Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! - Page 3 I22gcj10Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing October to December 2019
by Kelejan Today at 7:02 am

» Update on Marie's mom
by Kelejan Today at 6:52 am

» Homemade Christmas
by countrynaturals Today at 12:22 am

» Grapefruit
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 6:25 pm

» Sanderson - On the Road
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 5:27 pm

» All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List!
by markqz Yesterday at 2:13 pm

» Serrano Peppers
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:16 am

» Container Gardening
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:08 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 10:03 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 7:25 am

» Potato Seeds, not Seed Potatoes
by Dan in Ct Yesterday at 6:20 am

» Hydrogen Peroxide
by has55 Yesterday at 3:50 am

» New England, December, 2019
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 5:07 pm

» Steam canning?
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 4:47 pm

» De Jours 18 Radish
by markqz 12/7/2019, 4:11 pm

» Gardening Life hack - fixing bucket handles
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 4:05 pm

» Is this the right place?
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 3:30 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by donnainzone5 12/7/2019, 12:47 pm

» ROOKIE TOPIC XVII Seed Starting Dates
by countrynaturals 12/7/2019, 12:15 am

» TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer
by Scorpio Rising 12/6/2019, 8:37 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 12/6/2019, 1:23 pm

» Bee Balm
by countrynaturals 12/6/2019, 9:34 am

» Hi I’m new
by AtlantaMarie 12/6/2019, 6:47 am

» Friday Rookie Topic XIV: Potato Onions
by countrynaturals 12/5/2019, 8:03 pm

» Mid-South: December
by sanderson 12/5/2019, 2:30 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/5/2019, 12:58 pm

» What are your best Greenhouse tips for a first timer?
by countrynaturals 12/5/2019, 10:54 am

» new member needs help
by Dan in Ct 12/5/2019, 9:56 am

» Brand new in SW Idaho
by AtlantaMarie 12/5/2019, 8:48 am

» What, no French Fries?
by Kelejan 12/5/2019, 6:19 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! - Page 3 Empty Re: Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!

Post  Scorpio Rising on 8/6/2016, 6:11 pm

@AtlantaMarie wrote:Ah, kids...  They do the darnest things!
Yes....good thing they are cute, otherwise they would be extinct!  LOL!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7208

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! - Page 3 Empty Wwwwaaaaahhhh!

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 9/20/2016, 9:09 pm

I went on a family vacation near Torrington, CT for a week. I got back Sunday. I expected some bad things:  the bush zucchini died (too much SVB-surgery), the cuke plants are almost dead, the butternuts got CMV, there's bug damage (including a new-to-me pest, the cross-striped cabbageworm,) some transplants/seedlings died, some sown seeds either didn't germinate or didn't survive...

I thought I had left good enough instructions for my inexperienced garden-sitter, but I was wrong. Watering seems to have gone as planned but harvesting sobbing
I checked the garden and went straight to... ...my large winter squash were gone.
Apparently one got harvested like zucchini. I retrieved that one, a Lakota, and it looks mature (skin is hard to fingernail), but I don't if it will keep, and it's not the right color yet. The other - my Tetsukabuto that I was really REALLY looking forward to, was described as having been attacked by a rodent, and the remains chucked somewhere into the grassy wetlands at the edge of the property - so I can't sleuth the rodent size. My best guess is a squirrel dared venture into the fenced in garden due to me not being there frequently enough, and somehow managed to escape without getting stuck in the fence.  Perhaps I have an overhanging branch that should be trimmed.

The vining zucchini got picked very large, and I think the vine is on hiatus for producing female flowers as a result - or maybe it's been the cold nights - several below 55*F... or maybe both. The plant is also quite mildewed, and I pulled another big SVB out of a leaf stalk today; stress doesn't help flowering either.

The Neckargold pole beans didn't get picked (though they are getting obnoxiously hard to reach, even with the step stool provided.) I had them in dinner and I'm amazed they were still edible. When bush beans get that mature I've typically found them unpleasantly/inedibly fibrous.

The cantaloupe didn't get picked, but I suspect it dropped between the last garden-sitter visit and when I came home.

The tomatoes got picked as intended, but the singular Lucky Cross tomato I wanted to taste so I could decide whether to consider the variety for next year seems to have vanished.

To top it off, it looks like someone hit the mailbox. Evil or Very Mad It's propped mostly upright now, but the post needs to be repaired/replaced.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1439

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! - Page 3 Empty Re: Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!

Post  sfg4uKim on 9/20/2016, 9:29 pm

YIKES!   Shocked

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2040

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 9/20/2016, 9:55 pm

That's a sad story. Sad Somebody should start a garden-sitting service. It would be well worth a few $$ to come back from vacation to a thriving garden.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5009

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/21/2016, 3:40 pm

Oh my gosh!

Last edited by sanderson on 9/22/2016, 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 18489

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 on 9/21/2016, 9:27 pm

I had double back up when I went on vacation- which was lucky. Because when I asked the one lady about how it had gone, she said: It rained lots so I didn't feel the need to water. Yeesh!
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan on 9/22/2016, 1:02 am

Beetles, that was a disaster for your garden.  It is so hard to get people to look after things as mostly they mean well but do not listen to instructions and often are not reliable anyway.

Many will happily water, but when it comes to harvesting, forget it, unless they are gardeners like us. They do not know that harvesting on a regular basis is as important as watering.

Better luck next time.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5627

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt on 9/24/2016, 8:03 am

Thanks for the sympathy/empathy, all. I do wish garden-sitting services were a common thing! I know of someone locally who basically gardens for people in their yards, but I suspect I'd just have different problems if I tried to hire him as a sitter because my garden/gardening style is quirky. Row gardens are more common here, especially in my neighborhood. It looks like there was a event or group and they all got the same instructions and have the same fence, but very little walkway between vegetable rows.

There's plenty of good things still happening in the garden, but I've been pouting and having a hard time convincing myself to go out there. I'm trying to psych myself up to go do a thorough watering before the sun comes out from behind the clouds.

I'll eventually get my garden-sitter trained. She has very little gardening experience but plenty of enthusiasm. I talked her through setting up a little SFG this summer and gave her some leftover plants. Her garden has done quite well considering her experience. Since she bought seeds last week I'm pretty sure she's eager to grow again next year!
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1439

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising on 9/25/2016, 6:07 pm

Sorry about the failures, but in the long run, ya gotta go with it, baby!  I had a friend water, but no harvesting late ?July.  Catastrophe for 3 of the tomatoes, too heavy, broke supports, and plant too.  

Plus stuff that turns off unless you are pulling regularly.  Beans especially.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7208

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum