Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! Toplef10Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! I22gcj10Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! Toplef10Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! I22gcj10Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!

+12
zackshea
walshevak
landarch
Dunkinjean
AtlantaMarie
yolos
bigdogrock
Scorpio Rising
BeetlesPerSqFt
sanderson
trolleydriver
sfg4uKim
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! Empty Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!

Post  sfg4uKim 7/1/2016, 6:44 pm

Hubby and I went on two weeks vacation. We hired the same gal that took care of our dogs and garden last year. She was recommended by a friend of mine who is a garden writer so I KNOW she knew how to water a garden.

It looks like she barely watered and then realized we were on our way home. affraid

Sooooo what was different this year?

She graduated high school, turned 18 years old and got a boyfriend! rock on

What do YOU do if you go on vacation during growing season? thinking

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! Empty Re: Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!

Post  trolleydriver 7/1/2016, 8:18 pm

I pray for rain.  It worked last summer when we were away. Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! Empty Re: Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh!

Post  sanderson 7/1/2016, 9:11 pm

Oh, the dreaded boyfriend syndrome. Actually, she needs to be told she failed at her job. A life lesson young people don't get anymore. You have always done great at watering my garden, but this year something went wrong . . .

I'm on drip and set it for every day when we have to leave, City regs or not. At 106*F like today, with a hot breeze, everything is suffering. My "see America" vacation time is Sept or Oct when the weather is more reasonable and there is a chance most plants will survive. I'm sorry it happened, Kim.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/1/2016, 10:56 pm

Yeah, cross-my-fingers and hope for rain. My friends don't know gardening, or/and don't listen to directions... or forget. They want to help, but I don't want them trying to take short-cuts or 'helping' without understanding. I could totally see something like this happening: "I know you said don't do any weeding but it looked like you needed some help!"  pale I don't make it easy, because I do intentionally grow edible weeds, and some more unusual plants... and even *I've* nearly pulled out two of my herbs. (Vietnamese coriander is closely related to, and looks like smartweed; and my little lemon basil looks like something I know is a weed but don't know the identity of... you'd think having them be in squares would do the trick, but sometimes the dirt gardener in me still assumes the big plants must be the weeds!)

I've got a new friend this year that I think will be available during vacation time... so I'll cross my fingers and hope for availability and competency!
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/1/2016, 11:22 pm

Pray. There is no one who is responsible enough to do the little that needs to be done.  Maybe one of my daughters friends ...dang it.... pale

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 7/1/2016, 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Ridiculous typo)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 7/2/2016, 6:42 pm

What is a vacation? Shocked pale
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/2/2016, 8:22 pm

bigdogrock wrote:What is a vacation? Shocked pale
+1
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 7/2/2016, 8:42 pm

It was actually a "working" vacation. Hubby and I were volunteer camp hosts at Cape Lookout National Seashore. We were at Long Point Cabins an undeveloped barrier island in North Carolina. No paved roads and nothing for sale except ice and gas.

We met the ferry boat which came an average of three times a day to greet people coming to the island. There were a lot of fishermen who camped out in their big trucks with campers. Some camped in the dunes near the beach, some were walk-ons who just spent the day at the beach and the rest stayed in the cabins. There are 20 cabins -- all had electricity, none had refrigerators, 8 had a/c.

Other duties included cleaning the bath house (used by the campers) and driving up and down the beach (and the back road -- sand) picking up trash.

Here's how we commuted to work (5 days on the island, off work Wednesday afternoon, back on early Saturday morning). Coming back our first Saturday it was raining and our "captain" flew over the waves like it was a race boat.

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! Img_3412

On our day off we went to Shackelford Island to see the wild horses.

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! Img_0111

On trash patrol along the beach.
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! Img_3610

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/3/2016, 8:52 am

Kim, that sounds really nice! Even if you DID have to work!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 7/7/2016, 9:27 pm

This year I finally convinced hubby that we need to put in soaker hoses on a timer for our veg and flower gardens since we were going on vacation to Punta Cana for a wedding.
Came back and the all the gardens and vases are doing well. If we relied on others to water or not water, the gardens would have been dead.

Well worth the trouble.
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/7/2016, 9:50 pm

yolos wrote:
bigdogrock wrote:What is a vacation? Shocked pale
+1

I haven't been away for some time.  I would also try not to go until September/October. 
The vacations I have taken have been big ones, when I did not have a garden.  Six weeks in Europe (from England).  Three weeks in Canada (from England). Six weeks in England (from Canada).  I have never had a cruise and do not think I would like to be shut up in a ship with two/three/six thousand people and have to dress up every day for Dinner.

Sorry you were let down, Kim.  It would break my heart now if that happened to me
Now that my Jazz has gone, I will probably take a few two/three day trips.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/22/2016, 5:17 pm

Came back from my 5-day vacation to Cape May, NJ and overall everything looks great! My garden is currently water-by-hand (no hose to the garden right now... long story), so I had my friend water just the EarthBoxes/other containers/pots, tomatoes, potatoes, curcubits, peas, and celeriac... which is still quite a chore.

I lost my turnip and rutabega seedlings, and some bean seedlings -- but those weren't on the list of things to water, so that's on me. There's still time to replant, but I may start the turnips and rutabegas indoors this time so they all get off to a good start. It would be nice to have full squares of 4 of those instead of 2s and 3s.

There was some Japanese beetle damage, but it's pretty minor. Based on the amount of damage for the number off beetles, it looks like they were only there after my friend's last scheduled watering, and I told her only to bother with them if she wanted to anyhow. The eggplant flea beetles showed up. I see they like potatoes and tomatillos, too - haven't grown those before, but it makes sense since they're nightshades, too. I picked off a few dozen of them. I'm grateful they are so much easier to catch than the stripey flea beetles that like my arugula.

The brassica seedlings that were indoors, I watered and threw into plastic bags before I left. They are a little lanky, but alive, and ready to be hardened off. 

I think it's time to harvest the garlic! The test square I pulled looks about right, so I'll do the rest soon. The soup peas are starting to die back and the pods are drying out. I'm starting to see a little color on a few tomato fruits. There are tiny cucumbers forming, 3 cue ball sized watermelons, a zucchini for me to harvest (I had my friend grab the first one and enjoy it), and lots of tiny yellow summer squash growing up. I had to do some careful tendril unwinding and vine moving -- the trellis is that way, not this way! How did you squash get so far astray in five days?
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/22/2016, 8:26 pm

It sounds like you are pleased at what survived, what with being away for 5 days and having someone else water. Actually, it sounds like you got use a hose bibb/spiget out there!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 7/22/2016, 10:20 pm

This year I asked a neighbor to water my SFG beds while we were away on vacation...I mentioned not getting the leaves wet...came back after 10 days to find the hose and lawn sprinkler set up right next to the boxes.  (sigh)
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/22/2016, 10:27 pm

Sad

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/24/2016, 10:20 am

Beetles, sounds like you did pretty well!

Landarch, any PM or DM visible?  Maybe it drowned....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 7/24/2016, 10:39 am

sanderson wrote:It sounds like you are pleased at what survived, what with being away for 5 days and having someone else water.  Actually, it sounds like you got use a hose bibb/spiget out there!

Yup, I'm pleased. Very Happy I'm pretty sure the watermelons in the Earthbox would have died without someone to water them - I didn't set the box up quite right, so it needs more frequent watering than it should, but even so, 5 days is a lot with big plants transpiring away in the heat with no access to any water besides that in their planter. The ANSFG and SFG garden areas all would have survived without watering...and pretty much did since I was only having my friend water selected areas, but the tomatoes would have been sad and would have been set back by the experience. It's just been too hot and windy for tall, leafy tomatoes to go without water, even with the wondrous water holding properties of MM.

There is a spigot fairly close to the garden, but I can't currently use it with a hose because something is broken inside the spigot. So I've been filling one of those big 30 gallon round buckets (the thick plastic ones they used to make... I'd buy more if I could find them...) right underneath, and dipping a pair of ~2.5gallon water cans into it to fill them, toting them to the garden, water squares, repeat. In retrospect I'm glad I didn't have a hose set up... the friend might have been tempted to do something like landarch's neighbor. It's a farther 'trek' to the planters in the front yard, but only about 23yds. So not that bad.  I'm sure the exercise is good for me, but it's time consumptive, and it eats into the limited "time outside before it gets too hot." There's a spigot in the front yard, too... but it's decorative. It goes into the house, but it's not connected to a pipe! Evil or Very Mad
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/24/2016, 4:45 pm

And that's another reason I go to the Phlippines during the winter months.  This year is Dec, Jan , and Feb.after I plant mustard greens for soil cleaning during the late fall.   Back in time to get a spring garden going.

I will say that when I lived in Elizabeth City I set up overhead sprinklers on a timer and still got good results.  I sprinkled for 15 minutes at 5am and 5pm to allow for drying before the sun could scald and so the plants could dry before nightfall.  

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! Empty Update

Post  zackshea 7/27/2016, 9:40 am

After the poor spring and early summer weather, my garden has finally really taken off.  Even after moving my beds from one house to another in March, my MM has been really productive this year.  This is the first year I have made and used compost tea.  I use the vermicompost available on Amazon and brew the tea according to Teaming with Microbes.  I have the biggest plants I have ever grown and this is with only 4-5 hours of direct sun because of poor location. I have beautiful watermelon, squash, beans, lettuce, onions, radishes, eggplant, various peppers, and cucumbers.  The Brandywine tomatoes are enormous.  I cannot believe how much I have harvested this year.  I have never been successful growing eggplant but this year I have harvested 5 of the best eggplant I have ever seen, homegrown or farm grown. Also, I used MM and compost tea in all my cedar boxes and pots that I have for flowers all over my deck.  It looks like Longwood Gardens set up a display on my deck.  I will take pictures of everything and post them.
zackshea
zackshea

Male Posts : 79

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/27/2016, 10:18 am

Excellent zackshea!  Always good to hear success stories. way to go

BTW a couple of years ago Mrs TD and I visited Longwood Gardens after spending in the Lancaster area. What a beautiful place.

Any chance you can post some photos of your garden and deck?
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 7/27/2016, 11:11 am

Wanted to give you an update.

The tomatoes still look like crap, but I'm getting a few fruits on each of the 16 varieties. The plants look bad but I'm getting a LOT of large fruits on my Cosmic Eclipse tomatoes.

SOOOOO as the fruits ripen, I'm saving seeds using the fermentation method. Six varieties down ten to go.

Hope the rest of the Cosmic Eclipse fruits ripen quickly -- we're having fencing installed in a week and I'm going to have to move the 2' x 23' SFG. It's going to be a pain, but since the garden is so crappy this year it really doesn't matter.

We also had a LOT of wind and I've got more weeds than usual. I'm going to take this opportunity to throw the Mel's Mix into dark contractor bags and solarize it since it's so hot.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/27/2016, 11:19 am

trolleydriver wrote:Excellent zackshea!  ...

Any chance you can post some photos of your garden and deck?

Yes, please zackshea! I need to see some success photos right about now. My garden is behaving...very thirstily. Rolling Eyes

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/27/2016, 12:05 pm

zackshea wrote:After the poor spring and early summer weather, my garden has finally really taken off.  Even after moving my beds from one house to another in March, my MM has been really productive this year.  This is the first year I have made and used compost tea.  I use the vermicompost available on Amazon and brew the tea according to Teaming with Microbes.  I have the biggest plants I have ever grown and this is with only 4-5 hours of direct sun because of poor location. I have beautiful watermelon, squash, beans, lettuce, onions, radishes, eggplant, various peppers, and cucumbers.  The Brandywine tomatoes are enormous.  I cannot believe how much I have harvested this year.  I have never been successful growing eggplant but this year I have harvested 5 of the best eggplant I have ever seen, homegrown or farm grown. Also, I used MM and compost tea in all my cedar boxes and pots that I have for flowers all over my deck.  It looks like Longwood Gardens set up a display on my deck.  I will take pictures of everything and post them.
WOW! I am so jealous I might have to go outside and kick something. Twisted Evil
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! Empty Pictures

Post  zackshea 7/30/2016, 9:26 am

Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160714
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160711
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160712
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160720
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160710
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160713
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160715
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160716
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160717
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160719
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160718
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160721
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160722
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160723
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160724
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160726
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160725
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160727
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160729
Mid-Atl - Jul 2016 - Wwwwaaaaahhhhh! 20160728
zackshea
zackshea

Male Posts : 79

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/30/2016, 9:46 am

Beautiful, Zack!  It does look like a garden show at your house!  Love the pics, thanks for sharing!

Everything is so green there...brown here, except the crabgrass and weeds....

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 7/30/2016, 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wanted to mention how green it is there!)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next