Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N & C Midwest:  June 2016! - Page 2 Toplef10N & C Midwest:  June 2016! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N & C Midwest:  June 2016! - Page 2 I22gcj10N & C Midwest:  June 2016! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
N & C Midwest:  June 2016! - Page 2 Toplef10N & C Midwest:  June 2016! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

N & C Midwest:  June 2016! - Page 2 I22gcj10N & C Midwest:  June 2016! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

N & C Midwest: June 2016!

+7
Suzy
countrynaturals
landarch
CapeCoddess
CitizenKate
greatgranny
Scorpio Rising
11 posters

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

N & C Midwest:  June 2016! - Page 2 Empty Re: N & C Midwest: June 2016!

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/5/2016, 9:49 pm

Dang, girlfriend! That is the bomb! You got it goin' on! cherry bounce N & C Midwest:  June 2016! - Page 2 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 6/5/2016, 9:50 pm

I like that watering system CK.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 6/5/2016, 10:44 pm

Thanks - I like it, too. It works so nicely, has made gardening so much easier, and is still fairly water efficient.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 6/6/2016, 11:23 am

I typically have great luck with carrots...I work some hard wood ash and bone meal into the carrot squares after the first of the year...and plant in special carrot boxes that are 12" deep.  The only thing I've done different is planted all Tendersweet (bough bulk seed, instead of what I typical do (Kuroda, Scarlet Nantes, Danvers Half Long, Royal Chantenay, Atomic Red).

We've picked more carrots since and its about 50/50 on a nice long carrot vs. multiple "legs".

B
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/6/2016, 8:24 pm

landarch wrote:I typically have great luck with carrots...I work some hard wood ash and bone meal into the carrot squares after the first of the year...and plant in special carrot boxes that are 12" deep.  The only thing I've done different is planted all Tendersweet (bough bulk seed, instead of what I typical do (Kuroda, Scarlet Nantes, Danvers Half Long, Royal Chantenay, Atomic Red).

We've picked more carrots since and its about 50/50 on a nice long carrot vs. multiple "legs".

B

I have Tendersweet in as well, did really well last year, just one square. This year I have Tendersweet, Kaleidoscope, and Sugar Snax in. The sugar Snax got shaded out by the turnips, so thinking of putting in some more of those.

They taste so so completely greater than regualr carrots...juicier....so much sweeter and juicier!

I have grown Nantes & Danvers in regualr garden. Meh. Still kinda hard like the grocery ones....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/7/2016, 1:53 am

Sweet watering system. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 6/7/2016, 1:49 pm

I was looking at Sugar Snax in a Johhny's catalog last night...need to get seeds ordered for the fall garden.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/7/2016, 3:57 pm

landarch wrote:I was looking at Sugar Snax in a Johhny's catalog last night...need to get seeds ordered for the fall garden.
I might have to try some of those, too. They sound interesting.  Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/7/2016, 10:22 pm

They are new for me, too. Just had Tendersweet last summer! When should a fall crop of carrots go in? August?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 6/8/2016, 9:38 am

I think so...early August seems to be the time to seed fall beets and carrots...and plant cole crops...the key is to keep them well watered in high heat conditions (August heat can be brutal).
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 6/8/2016, 3:31 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:I am pretty much the only one eating the kale.  Kids don't seem to like it or give it a chance!  I might need to blanch and freeze it too!  
Maybe try kale chips?  Should be a recipe here on the forum.  I like kale any which way; raw in salads, sauteed, in stir fries.  I blanch and freeze it for the winter to add to soups and casseroles.  I haven't tried it in smoothies; the idea puts me off for some reason.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 6/8/2016, 3:33 pm

greatgranny wrote:You who are in Ohio are so far ahead of we who live in Minnesota.  (Not that I'm complaining)  It is just that I hate to go to the store to purchase salad greens, etc.
Totally understand that!  Almost as bad as buying a tomato!
herblover
herblover

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 6/8/2016, 3:36 pm

landarch wrote:I think so...early August seems to be the time to seed fall beets and carrots...and plant cole crops...the key is to keep them well watered in high heat conditions (August heat can be brutal).
I actually succession plant carrots; I have 3 squares in varying degree of maturity now, the first will be ready to start picking in about 2 weeks.  I made out a succession planting schedule a couple of years ago which works really well for me.
herblover
herblover

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/8/2016, 4:50 pm

herblover wrote:
landarch wrote:I think so...early August seems to be the time to seed fall beets and carrots...and plant cole crops...the key is to keep them well watered in high heat conditions (August heat can be brutal).
I actually succession plant carrots; I have 3 squares in varying degree of maturity now, the first will be ready to start picking in about 2 weeks.  I made out a succession planting schedule a couple of years ago which works really well for me.

Geez you guys...well done. I plant carrots in spring and they aren't ready until fall.
Rolling Eyes
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/8/2016, 9:55 pm

Okey dokes, got my last gifted (looked like a determinate to me) mater in the container and watered. I have never grown a determinate tomatoe before. I put a cage around it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained? Just the container, soil, cage...oh yeah....lol

Cool here. I will probably need to water...yuk! Chance of rain, but that never gives any reassurance. MM gets pretty dry. Plants look healthy. Hope the tomato staking went OK. Felt kind of like I was twisting them... No

I agree with you guys. GGranny, I hate to buy tomatoes! In my opinion, you can at least get decent leaves, but never decent tomatoes.....worth the wait! N & C Midwest:  June 2016! - Page 2 3170584802

Herblover: I suck at succession planting! I know I should do it but I am just so impatient! Why? And very year, this is what I say??????? I need your calendar!???
bounce

CC, that was me last year. I got a better jump on it this Spring, but worked against me. We had late frosts, and hurt my spinach, and weather (hail) did some damage as well. Mother Nature! She does rule (remember those margarine commercials with Mother Nature in the cute halo thingy on her head? "Don't mess with Mother Nature"?

Any ways, all in but the apparently highly controversial Wild CArrot Dara...Queen Anne's Lace. Supposed to be a pretty variety. I had 4 make it. Apparently they are "invasive"....but I really have never seen fields of QAL lining the roads....gonna plant it and see what happens.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 6/9/2016, 9:19 am

SR,
This is what I did.  I made a list of what I want to plant, looked up my first/last frost dates ( I actually used the 50% chance dates except for the definite warm weather plants and still use our traditional May 15, which usually ends up being closer to Memorial Day to plant).  Then using the succession planting charts in the back of ANSFG I made up a schedule.  This is my third year using it and it works well for me.  I just look at it and plant what is says; no thinking or figuring out and I have my succession in place.  I can send you mine, but you are a bit farther north and maybe half a zone colder?  If you want it as a template let me know and I will try to figure out how to post it.
herblover
herblover

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/9/2016, 9:10 pm

Herblover, nope, as long as I know where your source came from I am good. And yes, we are about 2 weeks behind you guys. And you tend to get more rain. Don't know why, My sis lives in Lewis Center....

Thanks!

I did not water the garden tonight, hoping for rain....will have to if it doesn't happen. I need to get a light weight extension to get out to my beds....after the graduation party! Planters were parched, but they dry out fast.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 6/9/2016, 10:47 pm

herblover wrote:SR,
This is what I did.  I made a list of what I want to plant, looked up my first/last frost dates ( I actually used the 50% chance dates except for the definite warm weather plants and still use our traditional May 15, which usually ends up being closer to Memorial Day to plant).  Then using the succession planting charts in the back of ANSFG I made up a schedule.  This is my third year using it and it works well for me. ...
Great planner, I'll have to try that. Every year so far I've tried planting/harvesting schedules that ended up being awkward for one reason or another. I'm finding I also need to factor in what kind of protection the plants need - some need bug netting, others need more protection from varmints. Then there's annual crop rotations, etc.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/9/2016, 10:53 pm

CK, I will give this thought but I have NEVER EVER done succession planting well. Maybe my first year in the original SFG, I was very academic about it because Mel was also on PBS doin' the show! Not sure? Striving....lol

Switching gears; when do you start your fall stuff? I have never done fall plantings?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 6/10/2016, 10:52 pm

In the KC area fall seeds for cole crops are started indoors in early July (less than a month!) and planted about a month later in early August.  The challenge is keeping small cold season seedlings alive in brutal August heat...if they survive heads should be forming with perfect cooler fall temps.  
Cabbage worms are a problem even after the first frost.

I think one can direct seed asian greens a bit later as they are relatively quick to mature.  I do Tatsoi, Toy Choi, and Napa Cabbage.

Post-fall crops like garlic and spinach can be seeded in early November and over-wintered.  Possibly another second fall crop of Tatsoi (matures in maybe 25 days and can survive down to 15 degrees.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/11/2016, 10:11 pm

landarch wrote:In the KC area fall seeds for cole crops are started indoors in early July (less than a month!) and planted about a month later in early August.  The challenge is keeping small cold season seedlings alive in brutal August heat...if they survive heads should be forming with perfect cooler fall temps.  
Cabbage worms are a problem even after the first frost.

I think one can direct seed asian greens a bit later as they are relatively quick to mature.  I do Tatsoi, Toy Choi, and Napa Cabbage.

Post-fall crops like garlic and spinach can be seeded in early November and over-wintered.  Possibly another second fall crop of Tatsoi (matures in maybe 25 days and can survive down to 15 degrees.

See, I think I am waiting way too long for the fall cropping! I have 2 unoccupied squares, and wanted to put another Yukon Gold tater in......

But also interested in greens. I am not a smoothie person. Hmmmm
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/12/2016, 4:50 pm

I am in the process of amending some south facing soil for my Egyptian Walking Onions!  They are so cool!  Thanks, Judy!

Other items are growing...had to water Friday....no rain here.  Hot Saturday, nice today.  Windy...stuff is growing.  Tied tomatoes up again.  Melons slow but alive....cukes with blooms, peppers and maters with blooms.  Pole beans getting to climbing stage!  Sugar snaps harvesting a few at a time...yum!  Beets, carrots growing...need pics! Wink

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 6/12/2016, 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Climbing. Not claiming!)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 6/13/2016, 1:04 pm

We recently picked 3-4 squares of carrots...tendersweet...I did succession planting so we have another 20 or so squares of carrots that could be ready in a few weeks.
N & C Midwest:  June 2016! - Page 2 Carrot10

With the recent warm temps the summer veggies have looked really good in the last week or so since the deluge of rain has stopped (we could actually use a bit more, just spread out a bit).  I mulched yesterday with clean wheat straw to keep the watering down.  Harvested squares get blue lake 274 beans.  Tomatoes, green beans, cucumbers, bell peppers coming on strong.  Maybe more pics this evening.

On another note, I was growing 8 squares of Tuscan kale...a friend said to brush leaves with olive oil and sea salt, then grill.  Tasted alright but a lot of work.  They get crispy like a really think kale chip.  Needless to say, I removed all the kale to free up extra space for green beans.  My family will eat tons of green beans...kids will much right in the garden.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/13/2016, 8:36 pm

True, Landarch, with the high temps the hotties are really taking off! And I am in a kale conundrum....I like it, but a little goes a long way. Not a smoothie girl, and honestly a terrible planner/packer for lunch.

The kale I am growing is wayyy better milder and less cabbagey than the stuff I had previously had from the store or other places....just so prolific! And the leaves get big fast! I only put 2 plants in!

Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 6/13/2016, 9:56 pm

This year I decided to focus on growing only the veggies we like to eat...I got bored and decided to grow a couple new items; Tuscan Kale and Trombone Squash.  Kale was so-so...ripped it out and probably won't do it again (waste of space)...hoping the squash will be worth it...it's a vining squash that needs a trellis.

I did mess up and missed getting radish seeds in the ground this year...wife and kids like them...me not so much.

I just did a new post with a few garden update pics...chance of needed rain tonight through tomorrow.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next