Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rookie with drooping plants.. Water or my compost mix? #1 Toplef10Rookie with drooping plants.. Water or my compost mix? #1 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rookie with drooping plants.. Water or my compost mix? #1 I22gcj10Rookie with drooping plants.. Water or my compost mix? #1 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Rookie with drooping plants.. Water or my compost mix? #1 Toplef10Rookie with drooping plants.. Water or my compost mix? #1 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Rookie with drooping plants.. Water or my compost mix? #1 I22gcj10Rookie with drooping plants.. Water or my compost mix? #1 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Rookie with drooping plants.. Water or my compost mix? #1

+4
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
donnainzone5
RosemaryPlants
8 posters

Go down

Rookie with drooping plants.. Water or my compost mix? #1 Empty Plants drooping? Not enough water or is it my compost mix? #2

Post  RosemaryPlants 5/29/2016, 5:58 pm

Hello fellow SFG! This is my first year using the SQF method and second years gardening. We bully beautiful raised garden beds covering half our yard. They were doing great until this last week. Then they all started getting droopy. Am I just not watering enough? 

We went with this mix: 

Als Premium 3 way garden mix: mixture of top grade sphagnum peat moss, fine bark and pumice, mixed with aged composted plant material from Al's growing operations and stores. then combined with composted manure.  Adds microbial activity that plants thrive on  Perfect for new plantings and amending soil.

I thought from what I've read that I should be fine with this even though it's not exactly Mels Mix. Financially this was all that made sense for us to get. I called the garden center who have "plant experts" and asked if maybe my broccoli and cauliflower have a root beetle... They don't! But he said what I planted in was not providing nutrients and I needed to add in garden/top soil. What are your thoughts? 

I'm thinking I try watering more (though the soil feels damp when I put my finger down) and maybe apply a kelp or seaweed fertilizer? My compost bins haven't been able to get hot enough for me to use yet.
RosemaryPlants
RosemaryPlants

Back to top Go down

Rookie with drooping plants.. Water or my compost mix? #1 Empty Re: Rookie with drooping plants.. Water or my compost mix? #1

Post  donnainzone5 5/29/2016, 9:26 pm

From your description, it sounds as though you have enough hydration, but lack nutrients.

I'd find a way to add a couple of other composts, one plant-based and the other manure based, but without added peat moss, rice hulls, etc. 

You did not use an actual Mel's Mix, although I do understand your financial constraints.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Rookie with drooping plants.. Water or my compost mix? #1 Empty Re: Rookie with drooping plants.. Water or my compost mix? #1

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/29/2016, 9:46 pm

RP, can you post a picture? Are the plants growing? Are they green? Is the new growth green?

glad you\'re here by the way!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/30/2016, 3:57 am

Hi Rosemary,  Welcome to the Forum from California!   glad you\'re here

Al's 3-way mix is only 15% organic material with 85% soil [dirt].  Mel's Mix is 33% compost, or twice as much. And that is only when you first make Mel's Mix.  After that, all you do is add more 5-blend compost that you pull together.  As the compost is what feeds the plants, the garden center man may be correct in that it is not nutritious enough.  You can top dress with bagged composts such as chicken or steer manure compost, Ecoscraps compost (Home Depot), Whole Foods veggie-based compost, mushroom compost, or worm casting, kelp meal, Espoma organic garden Tone.  Composts also really help hold water.  I will tell you right now, that you are not the only folks that tried to do SFG without investing in the 7 ingredients, me included! Embarassed   For me, I used 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 fluffed peat moss and 1/3 Kellogg's bagged mix!  Evil or Very Mad  After just a few weeks, everything stopped growing!  I had to use weak fertilizer to keep things going until I could round up bagged composts and start my own compost pile.

However, you stated that the plants are drooping but the soil is moist.  What is your weather like?  Are you having a sudden heat?  Please post some photos to help us see what is going on.

You also mentioned that your compost pile is not heating up.  It takes a balance of browns (carbon) and greens (nitrogen), water, and a large enough volume for it to heat up.  Maybe you can also describe what you did to build the pile.  If you use the Search box, you will find 300 threads on compost!!  That's how important compost is. Here are just 2 threads.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t9365-are-you-a-hottie?highlight=are+you+a+hottie

for a fast batch:  https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18500-compost-berkeley-18-day-hot-method?highlight=compost+101

We are here to help so provide info and photos to help us figure out ways to improve your situation. Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/1/2016, 7:01 am

Hi Rosemary. Welcome from Atlanta, GA. You've certainly come to the right place.

I'd have to agree that your plants have run out of nutrients. Same thing happened to me my first year. And for the same reason: Didn't set up exactly according to Mel. (For the same reason, btw.)

Please don't use top soil. Go with NUTRIENTS - you might try the kelp/seaweed/fish emulsion. You might also try blood meal, bone meal, etc. Look at the directions carefully before you go spending money & putting too much on there...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FeedMeSeeMore 6/2/2016, 9:48 am

I'll  second the seaweed suggestion. A teaspoon of kelp powder in a gallon of water and used generously is my first go to fix for anything that's not doing well. Works miracles in many cases. I also have to shade my plants when the sun gets too intense. They droop badly even though the soil is wet. Do the plants wilt and then recover when sun goes down? Sanderson's idea for top dressing sounds like a winner, too. Anything that gets the good soil microbes activated.
FeedMeSeeMore
FeedMeSeeMore

Female Posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 6/2/2016, 10:14 am

how long can you grow cool weather crops like broccoli in Oregon before they bolt? If it's getting hot, then they won't stand straight and tall, except in the morning and night after they are not exposed to sunlight. What is your temperature range now? 
If temp is cool 40's-lower 70's use the seaweed, kelp, fish emulsion for a pick me up. Use compost tea to get the protozoa's, beneficial nematodes and earthworms to eat the fungi and bacteria, thus releasing the nutrient into the plant root zone. You don't need to add top soil. Compost yes, topsoil no. basically eliminate that from your mel mix recipe. If the manure was not sterile, it will inoculate the soil, but compost tea will cause an explosion of the beneficial microbes that you need.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/2/2016, 9:34 pm

When you can post a photo of your droopy plants please do. Little plants don't need a lot of water, so go sparingly until they get bigger.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Rookie with drooping plants.. Water or my compost mix? #1 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down