Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed Toplef10First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed I22gcj10First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed Toplef10First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed I22gcj10First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 15:02

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 5:13

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 22:38

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:38

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Tue 26 Mar 2024 - 14:56

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna Mon 25 Mar 2024 - 13:31

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Sun 24 Mar 2024 - 12:01

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Sun 24 Mar 2024 - 10:28

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Sat 23 Mar 2024 - 15:02

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 21:33

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 16:50

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 14:07

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 11:09

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 8:53

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Fri 22 Mar 2024 - 8:43

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn Thu 21 Mar 2024 - 16:09

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed 20 Mar 2024 - 7:34

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson Tue 19 Mar 2024 - 13:51

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Mon 18 Mar 2024 - 7:34

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Sun 17 Mar 2024 - 14:54

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Mon 11 Mar 2024 - 7:28

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Sun 10 Mar 2024 - 17:38

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener Sun 10 Mar 2024 - 5:16

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 15:07

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 12:09

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson Sat 9 Mar 2024 - 10:46

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy Fri 8 Mar 2024 - 16:56

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 19:28

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising Thu 7 Mar 2024 - 6:33

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener Wed 6 Mar 2024 - 13:36

Google

Search SFG Forum

First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed

+8
trolleydriver
sanderson
ralitaco
countrynaturals
CapeCoddess
Scorpio Rising
johnp
cannonball
12 posters

Go down

First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed Empty First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed

Post  cannonball Sun 8 May 2016 - 7:59

We read the Square Foot Garden Book, cover to cover, and are super excited about starting our garden.    Yesterday, we completed the build of our 4x10 grid garden, using 2x10 cedar lumber, making our Mel's Mix as best we could with Peat Moss (Lowes), compost (mix of 3 types from Lowes), and course Vermiculite (ULINE).   That's my wife who will be doing the actual gardening, and is looking forward to picking the vegetables to plant.

First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed Newgar10
cannonball
cannonball

Back to top Go down

First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed Empty Re: First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed

Post  johnp Sun 8 May 2016 - 8:05

Great job, looks nice. Just got one more 4x8 ready to go this morning. Got it all recharged and wetted down. The hardest part to me is getting the MM wet throughout. Takes a lot of mixing. Good luck. First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed 3170584802
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed Empty Re: First Ever Square Foot Garden - Completed

Post  Scorpio Rising Sun 8 May 2016 - 8:09

Great looking bed! Post often and let us know your progress!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Sun 8 May 2016 - 8:20

Oh sweet! A nice new pristine pallet ready to paint.  Makes me drooling
glad you\'re here
What were the three composts you used?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals Sun 8 May 2016 - 8:33

Good job! Looks perfect.  cheers
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cannonball Sun 8 May 2016 - 9:01

CapeCoddess wrote:Oh sweet! A nice new pristine pallet ready to paint.  Makes me drooling
glad you\'re here
What were the three composts you used?

CC
The 3 composts which I used (all from LOWES) were:

• Earth's Finest - which says it is a blend on the label
  • Mushroom compost
  • Cow manure compost

The next project for us is to build a backyard compost rotating barrel...to get the best compost of all.
cannonball
cannonball

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco Sun 8 May 2016 - 9:17

CANNONBALL!!!!! (sorry, I couldn't help myself...memories from childhood jumping in the pool)

Welcome from Coastal NC!

Your bed looks FANTASTIC! And so does the rest of the yard. You were so smart to leave that space b/n the fence and the bed so you could get around the BIG, BUSHY PLANTS that are going to be there before too long.

I read some of your other posts: it looks like you went with the string for the grid. What did you decide for filler...sand or no sand?

As for the compost, that is ALWAYS the hardest part to get...5 varieties!!!! I started with three also...Cow manure, mushroom and chicken manure (sold as a fertilizer not compost) and had decent success. Last year, I found some bags of leaf compost, it was ok but wasn't screened well and wasn't really composted. I also found worm castings. As I understand it, they count as 1 of the 5. There are several companies that sell it so you should be able to find some near you. This year, I started making my own compost.

I look forward to seeing the pictures of the progress you and your wife make.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sun 8 May 2016 - 11:01

Congratulations Mr. & Mrs. Cannonball, great looking bed! Please keep us updated.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Sun 8 May 2016 - 12:56

Nicely done Cannonball. You will get a lot of enjoyment from your square foot garden.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere Mon 9 May 2016 - 6:22

Very nice work Cannonball.  Everything looks textbook perfect!
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore Mon 9 May 2016 - 6:33

SWEET!!!
That's "textbook" perfect.
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  cannonball Mon 9 May 2016 - 7:28

ralitaco wrote:CANNONBALL!!!!! (sorry, I couldn't help myself...memories from childhood jumping in the pool)

Welcome from Coastal NC!

Your bed looks FANTASTIC! And so does the rest of the yard. You were so smart to leave that space b/n the fence and the bed so you could get around the BIG, BUSHY PLANTS that are going to be there before too long.

I read some of your other posts: it looks like you went with the string for the grid. What did you decide for filler...sand or no sand?

As for the compost, that is ALWAYS the hardest part to get...5 varieties!!!! I started with three also...Cow manure, mushroom and chicken manure (sold as a fertilizer not compost) and had decent success. Last year, I found some bags of leaf compost, it was ok but wasn't screened well and wasn't really composted. I also found worm castings. As I understand it, they count as 1 of the 5. There are several companies that sell it so you should be able to find some near you. This year, I started making my own compost.

I look forward to seeing the pictures of the progress you and your wife make.
We went with the string instead of wood....I figured that string can be replaced every year or two without great expense.  Plus, it doesn't take up the extra real-estate of 1" wood or other such.   Someone on the forum mentioned that once the plants are growing, the grid becomes hidden by the vegetation anyway.

I elected to do "NO SAND."    I first roto-tilled the existing soil to hopefully get rid of any remaining weeds (not sure if that was necessary or not), and then covered that existing soil with landscape fabric before putting in the Mel's Mix.

Thanks to all on this wonderful and informative forum!
cannonball
cannonball

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Mon 9 May 2016 - 15:31

I have a confession, I also have 3 beds with "temporary" string grids, the oldest which is still going strong after 2 years.  Plain cotton string.  The rest are all thin wood, removable grids which are 3 years old and still in solid condition.  Mel was very insistent that durable, permanent grids be used because "without grids, it is not SFG."  As string/twine is not durable, and human nature is to not replace string when it wears out, he just really didn't like it.

All of that said, I think any grid system that consistently works for the person, their budget, their personal visual idiosyncrasy, is so far ahead of any other gardening method out there that it becomes a secondary issue.  The screws for the string are permanent, don't rot, are tactile and the strings can be a variety of colors and materials. Just a personal opinion and not an endorsement.

How cool! http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=fancy+string&view=detailv2&qpvt=fancy+string&id=8A8FA066A5AD801C9FAA43516046813CAF052D9B&selectedIndex=33&ccid=fqrrvYB6&simid=608020800048204366&thid=OIP.M7eaaebbd807a7f8c8c717aa79d4bd6e3o0&ajaxhist=0

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts Mon 9 May 2016 - 18:03

Beautiful job!  Welcome to the forum and to gardening the easy way :-)

My first Mel's mix was a disaster - I didn't measure the fluffed peat moss so I ended up with double the % and it took a couple years to recover from it.  If you find any deficiencies with yours, you can amend by adding compost as a side dressing all during the growing season.  

Don't hesitate to post pictures and ask if your plants aren't performing as well as you would like - WE ALL HAVE BEEN THERE!!!!  I probably would have given up gardening if so many kind souls hadn't chimed in and helped me through the rough patches.

Enjoy!
Audrey
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Mon 9 May 2016 - 21:02

glad you\'re here  cannonball happy hi  and your missus
from Kelejan :canada: in British Columbia.

Sure looks a nice, neat setup, it looks almost too good to spoil it. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum