Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 Toplef10WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 I22gcj10WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 Toplef10WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 I22gcj10WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins

+21
sanderson
otherook
CapeCoddess
brianj555
Greenbeard
ColleenW
GrowRunner
Triciasgarden
llama momma
StrongAsMeat
reynajrainwater
camprn
yolos
jimmy cee
katjohn83
landarch
FeedMeSeeMore
audrey.jeanne.roberts
countrynaturals
has55
ralitaco
25 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 Empty Re: WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins

Post  trolleydriver 9/5/2017, 11:05 am

ColleenW wrote:Hey, TD, thanks! I'm a little  Embarassed! I bought the bin and then learned about the 3'x3'x3' rule and then looked at the bin and thought oh, that looks about right! LOL. Oh well. I'm very glad to hear that you have used it successfully and you've confirmed my prediction that it will work fine for a spring "harvest" of compost. Now I'll look for another spot for a true 3'x3'x3'. Most of the rest of the available space in my yard is rather shady, though. Hmmmm thinking will have to think this through.
Colleen, keep in mind that a 3x3x3 bin takes a lot of material to fill it. It also produces a lot of compost. It will soon be time for me to collect leaves in the neighbourhood. I noticed yesterday that some leaves are already changing color.  Unbelievable. Last year I think I had over 40 bags of leaves. I ended up with a few left over after I filled the compost bins and I am still using those leaves. Before putting the leaves in the bin I run over them with a mulching lawnmower to cut them into smaller pieces. I've also used a weed trimmer in a large plastic garbage bin to turn the leaves into smaller pieces.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 Empty Re: WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins

Post  Greenbeard 9/16/2017, 12:40 pm

WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 20170726

I started with this thing.   IT worked alright but as you can see the compost can only go so far before it started spilling out.   So i built a slightly bigger 2nd one and did not put it upright but on its side.   We then moved the dirt and such from the first bin, to the 2nd bin.   I made this video a few weeks back now.  Hope it helps.   I do not turn mine at all.. I do nothing at all but add grass when i mow.. or charcoal once we have a fire.

Just for completion factor..  This is what it looks like right now out there.WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 Img_0256
WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 Img_0311
WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 Img_0310
Greenbeard
Greenbeard

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 9/16/2017, 7:33 pm

I don't really think this could be considered a compost "bin" , but it contains my compost heap and makes it relatively easy to turn it.  It certainly isn't very nice to look at, but only cost $3.00!Wink
WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 Img_3914
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/16/2017, 7:40 pm

brianj555 wrote:I don't really think this could be considered a compost "bin" , but it contains my compost heap and makes it relatively easy to turn it.  It certainly isn't very nice to look at, but only cost $3.00!Wink
WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 Img_3914

Looks like a compost bin to me.  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/17/2017, 8:33 am

trolleydriver wrote:Looks like a compost bin to me.  Very Happy
+1

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 9/17/2017, 8:47 am

Hey Brian, look very similar to mine, check them out on the first page of this thread almost to the bottom. Sometimes simple is better sunny
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 9/17/2017, 7:57 pm

Having a little time today, as I finished mowing I saw that all my composting places, bins, cages, whatever you want to call them, are just about full. I seem to fill them pretty fast this time of year, and I am getting ready for the big finale, leaves galore! In years past I have had 8 foot tall piles, I might do it again this year if everything works out right. If it stays standing, which it usually doesn't, (unless I go to great lengths to keep it up.) by the middle of next year it is down to 2-3 feet. But I started thinking about what these would look like after the winter, so I will share it with everybody. As soon as my last bed is done I am going to take the little black bin apart, (fix it by wiring it or putting bolts or rivets in it to keep it from separating) and getting all the black gold out of it. Two of the three shown are ready, the first little one and the last one by the cinder blocks. There is a third that I didn't get a pic of, a round with wire about four feet high, there is a good foot of black gold in it.WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 110
WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 210
WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 310
WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 410
WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 510
WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 610
WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 710
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/18/2017, 4:19 pm

Boy, Rock...you really have that composting thing down pat!  Nice! Are those cattle panels containing the piles?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 9/18/2017, 7:03 pm

Hey CC, I hope you do well as Jose passes by.
I found a bunch of rolled up 4X4 cement wire, (it is probably called something else, but I have heard it called that since I was knee high to a grasshopper.) It is very thick, but not as thick as a cattle panel, and this was FREE. I have three, four foot tall, and about six feet wide.  Since I don't have a bucket loader, it is almost impossible to turn it by hand, but the trick is to make sure it gets some water, if you can cover it with anything plastic it helps too. these will be ready by the end of the summer next year, unless I combine them, which is a lot of work. If my neighbor has the time he will move and mix them for me if I ask. As of tonight, WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 3170584802  they are all over flowing with future black gold. WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 3170584802
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 9/19/2017, 9:03 am

CapeCoddess wrote:Boy, Rock...you really have that composting thing down pat!  Nice!  Are those cattle panels containing the piles?
+1
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 Empty best compost bin ever

Post  otherook 2/19/2018, 9:31 am

Although I am a rank beginner in gardening, this seems to be the best designed bin I have seen, hands down.
http://www.vegetable-gardening-with-lorraine.com/homemade-compost-bin.html
I am planning on making it as soon as I collect the materials and tools and somewhere to build it.  I am planning on making it 4 ft square however; the 28in might be a typo for 48in is what I'm thinking.
otherook
otherook

Male Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/19/2018, 9:51 am

Otherook, Did you look through this thread? There are photos of compost bins folks have made. 4' x 4' x 4' takes a lot of material to fill! 3' x 3' x 3' is easier.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 2/19/2018, 5:46 pm

sanderson wrote:Otherook,  Did you look through this thread?  There are photos of compost bins folks have made.  4' x 4' x 4' takes a lot of material to fill!  3' x 3' x 3' is easier.
And 4x4x4 (64 cubic feet) is a killer to turn the materials. I struggle turning 3x3x3 (27 cubic feet) of material.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/19/2018, 6:21 pm

I'm right with you, TD!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 2/19/2018, 10:28 pm

Hey TD and Sanderson, that is why I have so many piles, I don't turn them much, I have it down so one or two are ready at the beginning of each season. Turning piles this big is only easy when my wonderful neighbor comes over with his tractor, and it still makes my back sore the next day.
 I do like the bins of Otherook's, great idea. Thanks for sharing! Make sure you post some pics of how they do for you.
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Back to top Go down

WANTED: Pictures of Compost Bins - Page 4 Empty Why do you cover compost bins?

Post  Beachmom 1/17/2019, 5:58 pm

Stupid question, but most people seem to put a cover of some sort on their compost bins.  Why?  Aren't you also watering them?   Wouldn't mother nature water them if you didn't cover them?

Thanks
Beachmom
Beachmom

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 1/17/2019, 6:39 pm

Beachmom wrote:Stupid question, but most people seem to put a cover of some sort on their compost bins.  Why?  Aren't you also watering them?   Wouldn't mother nature water them if you didn't cover them?

Thanks
The cover stops the pile from getting too wet which would be bad. You want to be able to control the moisture content for best results.  The cover also helps to slow down evaporation and drying out of the top layers. A third thing is to keep out animal pests (assuming the pile is also protected on the sides).
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 1/17/2019, 6:53 pm

trolleydriver wrote:The cover stops the pile from getting too wet which would be bad. You want to be able to control the moisture content for best results.  The cover also helps to slow down evaporation and drying out of the top layers. A third thing is to keep out animal pests (assuming the pile is also protected on the sides).

+1

Because of the varmints we have, I can't even have a compost bin - I use compost tumblers that varmints can't get into, and rain doesn't get into the either.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/18/2019, 4:31 am

+2

Being able to control the moisture is important.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4