Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Butterfly Junction - Page 31 Toplef10Butterfly Junction - Page 31 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Butterfly Junction - Page 31 I22gcj10Butterfly Junction - Page 31 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» All I Want For Christmas....Holiday Garden Wish List!
by recoush Today at 9:08 pm

» weed plant that has caused some frustration around the yard
by recoush Today at 8:54 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by countrynaturals Today at 6:17 pm

» N&C Midwest: November/December 2019!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 5:32 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by countrynaturals Today at 11:19 am

» Tomato Tuesday - 2018 & 2019
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 8:24 pm

» Update on Marie's mom
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:38 am

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 12/10/2019, 9:27 pm

» What's your favorite kitchen/garden gadget?
by markqz 12/10/2019, 9:20 pm

» Sanderson - On the Road
by sanderson 12/10/2019, 8:04 pm

» What I learned this year...
by Scorpio Rising 12/10/2019, 6:29 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/10/2019, 10:32 am

» Serrano Peppers
by countrynaturals 12/9/2019, 11:36 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing October to December 2019
by Kelejan 12/9/2019, 7:02 am

» Homemade Christmas
by countrynaturals 12/9/2019, 12:22 am

» Grapefruit
by countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 6:25 pm

» Container Gardening
by countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 10:08 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 12/8/2019, 7:25 am

» Potato Seeds, not Seed Potatoes
by Dan in Ct 12/8/2019, 6:20 am

» Hydrogen Peroxide
by has55 12/8/2019, 3:50 am

» New England, December, 2019
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 5:07 pm

» Steam canning?
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 4:47 pm

» De Jours 18 Radish
by markqz 12/7/2019, 4:11 pm

» Gardening Life hack - fixing bucket handles
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 4:05 pm

» Is this the right place?
by sanderson 12/7/2019, 3:30 pm

» ROOKIE TOPIC XVII Seed Starting Dates
by countrynaturals 12/7/2019, 12:15 am

» TD - A Journey Through Prostate Cancer
by Scorpio Rising 12/6/2019, 8:37 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 12/6/2019, 1:23 pm

» Bee Balm
by countrynaturals 12/6/2019, 9:34 am

» Hi I’m new
by AtlantaMarie 12/6/2019, 6:47 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Butterfly Junction

Page 31 of 35 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Go down

Butterfly Junction - Page 31 Empty Re: Butterfly Junction

Post  countrynaturals on 8/26/2019, 1:50 pm

OG? Do you do anything special to care for the lilies? Fertilizer? Mulch? Compost? Mine are finished and the bulbs are sticking out of the ground. Do yours do that?
Butterfly Junction - Page 31 Lilyro10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5024

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener on 8/26/2019, 6:15 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:OG? Do you do anything special to care for the lilies? Fertilizer? Mulch? Compost? Mine are finished and the bulbs are sticking out of the ground. Do yours do that?

No, I don't do anything to care for them, except ignore them. When I planted them years ago, I used the bulb planter to bury them about 6" deep (the top of the bulb is about 6" below ground level), and mixed the soil I took out of the ground with compost and put it back in to cover the bulbs. I've never done anything with them since. The grass has grown over them, and when the leaves are not up in the early spring, or the flowers are not in bloom in August, it is impossible to tell where they are. Each year a few more flower stems show up from the bulbs multiplying. The bulbs have not come up to ground level.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/26/2019, 6:59 pm

@OhioGardener wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:OG? Do you do anything special to care for the lilies? Fertilizer? Mulch? Compost? Mine are finished and the bulbs are sticking out of the ground. Do yours do that?

No, I don't do anything to care for them, except ignore them. When I planted them years ago, I used the bulb planter to bury them about 6" deep (the top of the bulb is about 6" below ground level), and mixed the soil I took out of the ground with compost and put it back in to cover the bulbs. I've never done anything with them since. The grass has grown over them, and when the leaves are not up in the early spring, or the flowers are not in bloom in August, it is impossible to tell where they are. Each year a few more flower stems show up from the bulbs multiplying. The bulbs have not come up to ground level.
Thanks, OG. I'll cover them over, tomorrow.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Butterfly Junction - Page 31 Empty Gulf Fritillaries

Post  countrynaturals on 8/27/2019, 2:33 pm

Never had so many Gulf Fritillaries! I swear there's at least one on every blossom in the yard -- sometimes 6 at once on the Mexican Sunflower -- and they're huge this year -- almost as big as a small monarch.

Butterfly Junction - Page 31 Frits211
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 8/27/2019, 3:40 pm

Suz,

I've never seen one of these!  They're spectacular.

I see yellow swallowtails and painted ladies here, but nothing like this species.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2410

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener on 8/28/2019, 10:24 am

Black Swallowtail on Tuberose bloom.  This butterfly is showing a lot of wear on its wings.

Butterfly Junction - Page 31 Black_14
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/28/2019, 3:13 pm

@donnainzone5 wrote:Suz,

I've never seen one of these!  They're spectacular.
You ain't seen nuthin' yet! The underside of their wings is iridescent. They shimmer in the sunlight. This one is in the shade, so you don't get the total effect, but still beautiful.
Butterfly Junction - Page 31 Frit10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/28/2019, 3:15 pm

@donnainzone5 wrote:I see yellow swallowtails and painted ladies here, but nothing like this species.
If Passion Vine grows there, you might be able to attract them, but zone 5 may be too cold. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/28/2019, 3:19 pm

GUILT TRIP!

I got tired of trying to keep my artichoke alive, so I cut it off at ground level and planted my beefsteak tomato in its spot. Here's what I found when I checked on it this morning:
Butterfly Junction - Page 31 Guiltt10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 8/28/2019, 3:33 pm

Suz,

Hmmm...  The artichoke I overwintered in the garage appears to have keeled over and died.  Perhaps I'll gently dig around to ascertain whether anything beneath the surface remains alive.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Butterfly Junction - Page 31 Empty Volunteer

Post  countrynaturals on 8/29/2019, 11:13 am

Volunteer-Of-A-Thousand-Blosssoms! I love you 

This baby turned up on the kitchen balcony. No clue to its origin, since I didn't plant cukes last year (or much of anything else for that matter), so if it came from compost, it's from 2 years ago or store-bought. I'm wondering if there might be cuke seeds in our wild bird mix??

Anyway, you can see a little cucumber in the lower left, so that mystery is solved.

I have never seen any plant with this many blossoms. What you see in the pic is only a fraction of them, but they all seems to be male except for the one female that's barely visible.
Butterfly Junction - Page 31 Volunt15
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 8/29/2019, 11:28 am

Lucky you!

Weather permitting, I may have a few cukes this year.  I started them indoors, potted them up in Mel's Mix, then again in larger pots.  They languished for a while, so I moved them into full sun.  

I haven't any success with them here in the past.  Here's hoping!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/29/2019, 12:32 pm

@donnainzone5 wrote:Lucky you!

Weather permitting, I may have a few cukes this year.  I started them indoors, potted them up in Mel's Mix, then again in larger pots.  They languished for a while, so I moved them into full sun.  

I haven't any success with them here in the past.  Here's hoping!
Good luck! Fingers crossed for you. I know they don't like to be transplanted. Are you using peat pots?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 8/29/2019, 1:04 pm

That's what I'd always heard.  However, some local gardeners report successfully transplanting cukes, so I thought I'd give it a try.  So far, so good.  

No, I don't use peat pellets or pots.  I find that the plant roots can't be freed from the netting, so I don't bother with them.  I use a seed starting mix, expandable discs without netting, or Mel's Mix now.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/30/2019, 11:33 am

Made the mistake of thinking a bean is a bean is a bean, and planted limas behind the kale. WRONG! They don't just climb and get out of the way. They try to take over the world. Yesterday, Katie decided to transplant the kale -- full grown plants -- but they were being smothered by the beans. I didn't think it would work, but it did. We now have an SFG box of 4 happy kale plants and the bully limas can claim total victory over one side of the Salad Bar. Butterfly Junction - Page 31 1280598131
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener on 8/30/2019, 12:59 pm

Speaking of Beans, this year we have been dealing with something I have never seen before. The Mockingbirds have been eating the beans as the sprout out of the ground. They see the bean halves hanging on the sprout and zoom down to get them. In the process, they kill the new seedling.  So, I have had to cover the raised bed with bird netting about 10" above the edge of the bed so that the birds can't get into it.  After having gardened for some 60 years, with 38 of them in the present location, I have never had birds eat the seedlings before. Also had to put bird netting around the tomato cages since they were pecking holes in the tomatoes as soon as they start to turn red. Reminds me of a Hitchcock movie....
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/30/2019, 1:41 pm

@OhioGardener wrote:Speaking of Beans, this year we have been dealing with something I have never seen before. The Mockingbirds have been eating the beans as the sprout out of the ground. They see the bean halves hanging on the sprout and zoom down to get them. In the process, they kill the new seedling.  So, I have had to cover the raised bed with bird netting about 10" above the edge of the bed so that the birds can't get into it.  After having gardened for some 60 years, with 38 of them in the present location, I have never had birds eat the seedlings before. Also had to put bird netting around the tomato cages since they were pecking holes in the tomatoes as soon as they start to turn red. Reminds me of a Hitchcock movie....
I guess it could be just one aggressive bird?? When we were volunteer lighthouse keepers, we all stayed in a campground, together. One of the other couples had a little bird that was absolutely determined to peck out the windows of their camper. We had never seen anything like it. That bird was relentless. Nothing scared it or stopped it. Finally, it got so bad they had to move to a different campsite. Shocked
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 8/30/2019, 1:47 pm

Speaking of beans, yesterday I discovered that something had been nibbling off about the bottom 1/8" from two or three of my pole beans, the ones closest to the ground.  The very tips of some delicate new growth on some of the rugosa roses also received that treatment.

It seemed too delicate for deer work, although anything's possible.  But what else could it be?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 8/30/2019, 2:05 pm

@donnainzone5 wrote:Speaking of beans, yesterday I discovered that something had been nibbling off about the bottom 1/8" from two or three of my pole beans, the ones closest to the ground.  The very tips of some delicate new growth on some of the rugosa roses also received that treatment.

It seemed too delicate for deer work, although anything's possible.  But what else could it be?
Grasshoppers? I had something similar happen to my pumpkin plant last week, and there's no way the deer could have gotten to it. thinking
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 on 8/30/2019, 2:07 pm

Suz,

That's certainly possible.  I've seen a few around this summer.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 9/1/2019, 9:21 am

@Me wrote:I am amazed at the production this year, considering the relentless heat. We still have 4 more days of temps at 110+, then, just maybe, we'll be done with it for this year, even though we'll still have several more low triple-digit days before the heat gives up for this year.

That was from 2017. No wonder I'm almost giddy this year with our mild weather. Our 10 day now includes nothing but 90s, with 3 days in the 80s coming up at the end.

I am planting seeds for all 4 seasons. I can't wait to see what works this year. bounce
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 9/1/2019, 10:46 am

Just got back from the Salad Bar. Hauled 3 bucketfuls of aged horse manure to build up the box to the left of the gate for radishes and carrots. (Breathed in some of the dust like a fool -- never thought to wear a mask.)

I have a nice, big Sun Gold tomato plant in there that gave me a surprise. There's a full-size tomato on it. Shocked It's been producing normal little ones all season. Took a break during a heat wave. Now it's in bloom again. I can't wait to harvest the big one. Later this morning I'll take the camera over. I also have to prop up that branch. The plant can't support the weight of that monster. Rolling Eyes 

I have never had so much fun gardening. Part of it is due to the automatic watering system. Part of it is due to the weather. Part of it is due to the kitchen balcony garden and bedroom south-facing indoor garden at the new place. Part of it is due to missing a year to the move and fires. Part of it is due to getting Katie involved. She has always been interested, but never had the time until this year.
LIFE IS GOOD! Butterfly Junction - Page 31 1787710427
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener on 9/1/2019, 11:17 am

That is great to hear, CN!

Butterfly Junction - Page 31 Life_i10
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 9/1/2019, 2:31 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:I have a nice, big Sun Gold tomato plant in there that gave me a surprise. There's a full-size tomato on it. Shocked It's been producing normal little ones all season. Took a break during a heat wave. Now it's in bloom again. I can't wait to harvest the big one. Later this morning I'll take the camera over. I also have to prop up that branch. The plant can't support the weight of that monster. Rolling Eyes 
Here are the normal fruits from this plant:
Butterfly Junction - Page 31 Sungol10

Here is the one I found this morning, hanging almost to the ground, almost as big as my fist:
Butterfly Junction - Page 31 Sungol11
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals on 9/5/2019, 3:12 pm

I just found out the deer got our only 2 pears and seriously damaged the tree. This was to be our first harvest. We don't even know what a homegrown pear tastes like, and now we have to wait another year to find out -- if the tree survives. Butterfly Junction - Page 31 671790 Butterfly Junction - Page 31 671790 Butterfly Junction - Page 31 671790
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 35 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum