Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Toplef10Butterfly Junction - Page 22 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Butterfly Junction - Page 22 I22gcj10Butterfly Junction - Page 22 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Toplef10Butterfly Junction - Page 22 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Butterfly Junction - Page 22 I22gcj10Butterfly Junction - Page 22 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Butterfly Junction

+23
CapeCoddess
AtlantaMarie
DorothyG
Roseinarosecity
donnainzone5
BlackjackWidow
Ginger Blue
farmersgranddaughter
sanderson
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
Avinash
Turan
Greenbeard
GWN
Mimi2
Windmere
BeetlesPerSqFt
trolleydriver
yolos
ralitaco
hammock gal
Kelejan
27 posters

Page 22 of 38 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 30 ... 38  Next

Go down

Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Empty Re: Butterfly Junction

Post  countrynaturals 3/1/2019, 9:51 am

sanderson wrote:Bamboo?
You betcha! Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/1/2019, 12:26 pm

Beautiful day! Grabbed my camera and went back to the old house to make garden plans, find a new avatar, and harvest asparagus.

DISASTER!

Remember the Rescue Garden? Here's how it should look:
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Rescue10

Here's how it looks today, after the snowstorm, 6" of rain, and 45 mph wind gusts for 2 days, with 2 huge branches covering the whole thing. (This shot is from the opposite direction.)
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Rescue11

Here's my asparagus bed (left-front -- not even a sprout, yet), with a huge, loose branch hanging precariously over it, SFG bed in the middle (no damage),  and BTE on the right, with another big branch in the middle of it. (I may be able to haul this one out by myself.)
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Aspara10

Here is the back part of the Salad Bar with the shade frame collapsed on the rosemary. (It was time to replant that bed, anyway.)
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Rosema11

Here's the right side of the Salad Bar, with the shade frame smashed from the weight of the snow, and the outside beds with more downed branches.
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Saladb11

Boy, do I have my work cut out for me this year.  Rolling Eyes  The only good news is that I have a huge harvest of pinecones.  Razz
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/1/2019, 3:06 pm

Oh, no... So sorry, Suz!!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/1/2019, 4:35 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Oh, no...  So sorry, Suz!!
Thanks, Marie. The good news is that we probably won't have to buy firewood next winter. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/1/2019, 6:12 pm

You do have some cleanup and maybe rebuilding, but it looks like the infrastructure of the salad bar and rescue garden survived. You have had some excitement in recent months but you have survived it! Butterfly Junction - Page 22 3170584802

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/6/2019, 10:01 am

sanderson wrote:You do have some cleanup and maybe rebuilding, but it looks like the infrastructure of the salad bar and rescue garden survived.  You have had some excitement in recent months but you have survived it! Butterfly Junction - Page 22 3170584802
I'm too old for excitement. affraid  

Started milkweed seeds and restarted kale seeds, yesterday. That's my full gardening report. Looks like another week of mostly rain, so there won't be much more news from here. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/6/2019, 3:51 pm

Oh Suz...I know the feeling.  I had that last March when my neighbors 50' pine fell across my SFG.  SMASH!  Nice thing was, he took care of it all and I was able to plant in a couple of boxes that weren't hit until he finished the cleanup and repairs. (of course I helped...how could I not.)

Little by slow....it'll all come together again.  And like you say, free firewood.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/7/2019, 2:19 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Oh Suz...I know the feeling.  I had that last March when my neighbors 50' pine fell across my SFG.  SMASH!  Nice thing was, he took care of it all and I was able to plant in a couple of boxes that weren't hit until he finished the cleanup and repairs. (of course I helped...how could I not.)

Little by slow....it'll all come together again.  And like you say, free firewood.
CC
YIKES! Sounds like you had it worse. Our damage is mostly cleanup and superficial. Now my problem is a major case of cabin fever from this never-ending rain. I'm actually knitting cord covers and waste basket covers. How desperate is that? silly me
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/7/2019, 2:50 pm

That's desperate. silly me

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/9/2019, 7:49 pm

Me wrote:I got one spaghetti squash. I will start them much earlier next year. Maybe plant the seeds in Feb. inside.

Tomatoes were okay, but I will choose different varieties next year and start them earlier inside. Again I'm thinking feb. 1.

Just re-reading all this to get ready for the season. Already blew it on these 2. I'll plant them, tomorrow. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/9/2019, 8:35 pm

countrynaturals wrote:These little zinnias bloomed all through the winter. No more guilt about not having nectar plants ready for the early butterflies (saw a Gulf Fritillary this morning). I don't know for sure what variety these guys are, but I'm off to collect seeds right now. I plan on filling a whole bed with these happy little campers. sunny
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Zinnia10

Dang! Blew it again! I should have planted zinnias a month ago. Tomorrow fer shure. Embarassed
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/9/2019, 9:19 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Huge garden expansion in progress. I'm planting the Rescue Garden in a combination of containers and BTE. Went to my favorite nursery and scored HUGE! They had 11 asparagus plants that didn't sell last year so they potted them up in 1 gal. pots. They wanted them gone so they let me have them for $6 each! These are now 3rd year plants, already producing spears. I can't believe I could get that lucky, to have a 2 year head start on an asparagus bed.  cheers
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Aspara10
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Aspara11

My next lucky break was strawberries. I have always bought them mail-order and got puny little twigs with a couple of half-dead leaves on them. I'd try to nurse them back to life and always figure on losing half (last year they all died). These babies were only $6.50 a dozen and they're HUGE -- already blooming! All 24 are happy today. I cut the bottoms out of the 1 gal. pots and put them around the bed as a chicken-barrier. I think I'll plant marigolds in them.
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Strawb10
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Strawb11

The tree trimmers came last week and left me a beautiful new pile of wood chips from our own trees. I still have plenty to use from last year, so this pile will be for 2018.
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 New-pi10

We have a huge pair of Century Plants (agave) which I hate, but the crazy thing bloomed last year and the skeleton of that blossom is pretty kewl so we had the trimmers take it down for us. We have a huge trunk from it -- don't know what we'll do with that -- and 2 pieces of the "blossom." They also cut down a rotten vine maple, right by the butterfly/greenhouse. Hubby got the brilliant idea to make the stump into the base of a plant table and put that blossom in the middle like an umbrella in a patio table. I probably won't get that until fall, with all his other projects ahead of, but I'm really excited about it. I will definitely be the only kid on the block with one of those. rofl(The tabletop will be on top of the 3 stumps with the agave "tree" supported in the middle.)
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Agave10

Also, the trimmers showed me a whole bunch of "agave pups." They're baby agave plants that sell for $6 to $9. We have about a dozen of them. I don't like them anyway, so we will probably put an ad on Craigslist and see what we can get. rock on
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Agave-10

The asparagus bed seemed to survive the fire and get through the rest of the year okay, but there's still no sign of life there this year. Last year we had sprouts by the end of January. I'm not up to starting over on this project, so I'm just hoping it's getting a very late start for some reason.

Looks like at least a few of the strawberries made it. Too soon to tell about anything else. I won't be able to work out there until at least Monday, but all of next week looks good, weatherwise.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/9/2019, 9:58 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:Nice on the free zinnias!  I like the look of them planted around that tree, too.

Keep us updated on the pineapple please?  I'm so curious.
I wish we had more inside space to grow pineapples inside in the winter, but these puppies are BIG and not very friendly. Shocked

I'm done with pineapples. Another winter went by without a single fruit. These guys are way too much trouble. Even though the single pineapple we got was hands-down the best we ever had. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/9/2019, 10:11 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Thank you, thank you. Cool I can't believe how excited I am about this project. bounce I forgot to mention that I'll be filling the rest of the box with leaves for the winter, so I can start out with a nice bed of leaf mold next spring when I plant the rest. Don't know if it will be OSFG or ANSFG, but it will definitely be SFG. rahrah

Did I mention how much the cats love this bed, too? Butterfly Junction - Page 22 671790 This year, I'm going to figure out a way to make bamboo fence panels that will keep the cats out without blocking the light, and still be easy to remove and put back for gardening. I have an almost limitless supply of bamboo at the new house, so all it will cost is labor and creativity. geek I will also make bamboo grids, which will be much more substantial than the corn stalks.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/9/2019, 10:23 pm

countrynaturals wrote:JACKPOT! 2 years ago Hubby built a huge extension on the chicken coop, for the rescues that couldn't be free-range like the others. That area is like an aviary, with trees and dirt. Last night I had to shoo the ladies back into the main coop. When I walked across the back, I almost bounced. That dirt/hay/leaves/poo/food/etc. had turned into the most perfect compost imaginable. AND THERE'S A TON OF IT! 

My biggest garden problem has been dirt. What we have here only grows rocks. I've spent hundreds of dollars on store-bought soil, with mediocre results. I used leaves and chips to stretch my purchases, but all that did was decompose and shrink until my beds are all down about 8". This year's compost bed, plus the mother-load I found in the chicken yard, will give me the richest soil imaginable for my spring planting. I * AM * A * HAPPY * CAMPER! 🐢So, who wants to come help me move all that compost? Hmm? I love you

Here's a closeup:
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Chicke12

Here's the long view, so you can see how much I have. (Eat your hearts out. Twisted Evil)
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Chicke13

Here's a sunflower plant, happily growing in this rich medium, behind a chair where the chickens haven't found it, yet. Looks like I'll have a flower by next week.
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Sunflo10

OMG! I forgot all about this, and I'm completely out of compost to start this season. I can't wait to get back out there and see what I have. Can I use it, now? Should I peel off the top layer and only use the aged stuff from underneath? I could put the top layer in the compost heap for fall.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/9/2019, 10:36 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Yesterday we got a call from our grandson-in-law. He wanted to get rid of a bunch of large landscape rocks and a huge load of topsoil and dead grass from their front yard. He was going to pay to dump it. WHAT?!  Shocked Anyway, we had him bring it to the new place and dump it in front, where I'm going to mound it into a gentle curve and turn it into a pollinator garden. He was afraid he was imposing on us. I'm looking at about $800 worth of beautiful dirt WITH NO ROCKS!  🐢I've already named the finished garden "Allan's Knoll." I can't wait to get it finished, but I'm already exhausted from the other projects involved in this deal, so I may still be looking at that pile of dirt in October.  Sad 
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Allans10

I'm still looking at that pile of dirt. Embarassed
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/9/2019, 10:42 pm

countrynaturals wrote:OMIGOSH!!!!!

The new house has a partial walk-out basement that the previous owners forgot to clean out. Most of it went into the dumpster, but at the very back, we found A COMPLETE GROW LIGHT SETUP! YEE HAH! I AM ALL SET FOR WINTER GROWING!  happy turtle 
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Plantr10

Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Lights10

Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Lights11

Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Lights12

I never did anything with this. Maybe it's time to start thinking about it again. thinking
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/9/2019, 11:17 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
sanderson wrote:Very Happy It's so manageable!

Yeah -- that's it -- just the vibe I was going for! Actually, I may throw caution to the wind and plant a few artichoke seeds. I lost my 2nd year bed to the fire and they take so long to establish, that I need a head start. I still have one little plant that survived in a 1-quart pot -- amazing!

I'm giving up on artichokes. I just read that they like mild, damp weather -- not exactly our situation. Also, the one in the container -- tho still alive -- loses an old leaf for every new one it sprouts. Time to throw in the trowel! Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/9/2019, 11:25 pm

countrynaturals wrote:2019 looks to be a "back to nature" year. We finally hiked the land behind our daughter's house, which will probably go to our granddaughter, eventually. Katie and I fell in love with it and got excited about clearing it out for hiking trails and "points of interest." That project will probably take the rest of our lives (mine at least) and definitely eat into our gardening time, so my posts may be more about "square foot brush clearing" than "square foor gardening" this year. Rolling Eyes I'll post some "before" pics, later.

It has done nothing but snow, blow, and rain since I posted this, so we haven't been back there since, but maybe next week -- or maybe not, since we still have the Rescue Garden and Salad Bar to clean up from all the storm destruction. Shocked
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/9/2019, 11:29 pm

donnainzone5 wrote:Beautiful!

Needless to say, I still think about Sienna.

I just re-read this whole thread, in prep for the new season, and saw the photo where she photo-bombed my sfg bed. I hope she found a happy new home.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/9/2019, 11:32 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Turns out the only plants the deer won't eat are bulbs, so that's what my island garden will have to be -- those, rocks, yard art, etc. We're having our second batch of daffodils right now. We had the little white ones in January. Now we have the big yellow ones.
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Daff2011

I'm also gonna stick the pineapple plants out there.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/9/2019, 11:54 pm

I can't believe I didn't post any snow pics, here. Now they'll be out of sequence, but our place was a winter wonderland for a day, so here they are.
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Snowpo11
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Snowpo12
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Deer11
Butterfly Junction - Page 22 Edslan11

These were all taken February 12. The snow knocked our power out for a whole week, so I couldn't post on time, anyway. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/10/2019, 1:16 am

I read all of today's posts here. The snow photos are awesome!

I was going to try artichokes this year. They sell them at HD and I was going to try them. Maybe I can mist them in the morning? They do great in the Paso Robles area and it gets hot there.

I would love to try a pineapple.

I'm afraid to ask what happened to Sienna.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/10/2019, 10:29 am

sanderson wrote:
I'm afraid to ask what happened to Sienna.

She just disappeared one day. She was young, healthy, used to being on her own, and there was no sign of violence, so we think she found a new home. That happens on rare occasions when they don't like the other cats. Sad  In her case, since she was so beautiful, she could have been cat-napped. She was so sweet and friendly, I can't imagine anthing else. Our neighbors and visitors are all nice people. It's sad, but I really don't think anything bad happened to her. We also don't have any fast vehicles, so I doubt she could have been hit, either. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/10/2019, 10:34 am

sanderson wrote:I read all of today's posts here.  The snow photos are awesome!

I was going to try artichokes this year.  They sell them at HD and I was going to try them.  Maybe I can mist them in the morning?  They do great in the Paso Robles area and it gets hot there.

I would love to try a pineapple.

Your read it ALL? Shocked  The snow was amazing, but the price was way too high -- 7 days with no power and months of cleanup.

I'm taking the easy way out this year in the garden. If something doesn't want to live here, I won't try to force it. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 38 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 30 ... 38  Next