Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens Toplef10The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens I22gcj10The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens Toplef10The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens I22gcj10The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens

4 posters

Go down

The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens Empty The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens

Post  has55 3/23/2016, 3:20 am

Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens Empty The SFG Journey 2- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens

Post  has55 3/23/2016, 5:13 am

this a article about vermicomposting and vermicomposting tea. Look at the two link at  the end of the articles. Impressive results. I would had put the links here, but was unable to do it. the link would open up into a MS word document.
The Castings Conundrum – Part I
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens Empty Re: The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens

Post  Kelejan 3/23/2016, 7:58 am

With my worm bin I never get any leachate.  When I get around to it I will be making worm tea from the castings.

Note to has55. I think you should have a thread all to yourself as you put so many interesting things on this forum.  Then when we want to look something up, all we have to do is put has55 in the search box.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens Empty Re: The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens

Post  ralitaco 3/23/2016, 9:11 am

Kelejan wrote:With my worm bin I never get any leachate.  When I get around to it I will be making worm tea from the castings.
how is your bin built? Looks like the one here has a wood top that would allow rain to seep in, that may be the difference

Kelejan wrote:Note to has55. I think you should have a thread all to yourself as you put so many interesting things on this forum.  Then when we want to look something up, all we have to do is put has55 in the search box.
You get my vote, but what would that thread be called? It would need an interesting title
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/23/2016, 10:08 am

has55 wrote:Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens
from the link near the bottom of the first article of this thread. This is the professor results from his testing.

What’s in the Worm Juice?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens Empty The SFG Journey 2- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens

Post  has55 3/23/2016, 10:42 am

has55 wrote:this a article about vermicomposting and vermicomposting tea. Look at the two link at  the end of the articles. Impressive results. I would had put the links here, but was unable to do it. the link would open up into a MS word document.
The Castings Conundrum – Part I
I decided to add one of the links from that page. this ones has a 3 min video at the top of the cornell university research page on vermicomposting. Now, as I see it from reading the TWM book, that vermicomposting tea would have the highest impact on our plants and also provide large amount of beneficial nematodes. Think about it, instead of carry around large amount of material, the tea would provide these material, lower our cost significantly for buying beneficial insect and nematodes.Now we still need to add compost, because we have to replace the soil, but the research is showing a powerhouse of benefits , even against powdery mildew, cucumber beatles , aphids and mites. This is getting exciting, because it would cut our work load down significantly. Well, let's face it, everyone knows I'm a lazy gardener, looking for the backdoor out of work and just sitting back eating the plants or enjoying their appearance as the blow in the wind. If I can figure out how to grab that document, I will add it. 
Enjoy the video/ Get your popcorn out and :beer chug:soda float
Vermicompost: a Living Soil Amendment
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens Empty The SFG Journey- Liquid Worm Juice; Superfood for Organic Gardens 2

Post  has55 3/23/2016, 11:26 am

Found a link to the articles. scroll down to the pictures and graphs. Title is a little different, but same article.

[url=http://www.bestgro.com/SUPPRESSION OF PLANT PARASITIC NEMATODES AND ARTHROPOD PESTS BY VERMICOMPOST.pdf]SUPPRESSION OF PLANT PARASITIC NEMATODES AND ARTHROPOD PESTS BY VERMICOMPOST ‘TEAS’[/url]
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 3/23/2016, 5:12 pm

I wouldn't use the worm juice leachate from my worm bin.  I let it drain under the Japanese Maple tree.  My reasoning is simple.  I eat eggs.  I occasionally put egg shells into my worm bin as I've heard they're good for the worms.  I'm phasing it out, but that said, since my worm bin has raw poultry product in it, I wouldn't want to spray water contaminated with it over my plants. 

Most everything else in my worm bin is straight up veggies.  Lots of store bought.  Which means, lots of store handled, large scale farmed veggies.  Sometimes I'm wasteful, I don't use it as soon as I thought, I don't use all of it, and basically throw it in the composter or worm bin.  

It's probably a bad habit, but I only wash my veggies when I'm going to use them.  If I don't they're going in the bin unwashed.  That means I can count them as clean as the dirtiest person in the store in the Los Angeles/Orange County area.  (aka, not very clean.)

Are you spraying hexavalent chromium, lead and arsenic on your plants?  If you're watering your plants from municipal water in California, you almost certainly are.  Both the EPA and California have guidelines on acceptable levels.  Can't say for other places, well, I can, lead and arsenic, pretty sure especially in the southwest.  Lead everywhere for sure.

Given my above true statement, please keep in mind the viewpoint of the site when reviewing claims.  I think they have a variety of valid concerns expressed geared towards a Vegan lifestyle, Your municipal water supply is virtually 100% certain to be contaminated with 'heavy metals'. Lead, arsenic, etc.  not to mention chloramines, flouride and anticorrisives.  

Also important to understand, your local water district or company (at least in the USA), most likely doesn't need to and does not test for APIs. (Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients).  Keep in mind organic certification requires that plants for consumption in contact (lettuce etc where the eaten part is in contact) with soil have a minimum 120 days lead time from manure integration.  Non-contact plants (corn), are 90 days.  

That said, there's very limited studies so far on the half life of common lifestock anti-biotics in the soil, their uptake rates or the impacts of continual low dosage.  

For all the above reasons, I try to only use my home made plant based compost for supplementing my SFG.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/25/2016, 1:23 pm

ralitaco wrote:
Kelejan wrote:With my worm bin I never get any leachate.  When I get around to it I will be making worm tea from the castings.
how is your bin built? Looks like the one here has a wood top that would allow rain to seep in, that may be the difference

Kelejan wrote:Note to has55. I think you should have a thread all to yourself as you put so many interesting things on this forum.  Then when we want to look something up, all we have to do is put has55 in the search box.
You get my vote, but what would that thread be called? It would need an interesting title

My worm bin is the usual indoor one known as The Wiggler Hilton. Rubbermaid bins are used with holes drilled in them so they do not get rain on them as I keep them inside during the winter and keep them moist with veggie food etc  and supplemented with  a little rainwater when needed.
During the summer they are outside on my deck and under cover.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/25/2016, 1:42 pm

Mind you, I have never done anything with worms other that use them as bait so I probably shouldn't even chime in, but I cannot understand how he gets that much tea from that bin either. those pans look full to the brim so I am guessing it is from the rain passing through the bin and picking up the nutrients.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/25/2016, 6:32 pm

I think you are right, ralitaco.

So the rain would collect the nutrients produced by the worms and the moisture would be collected so nothing is wasted. In other words, making compost tea in a passive manner.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 3/25/2016, 8:24 pm

Sounds right to me. and the top of that bin may not allow much rain to pass through so it does not run everywhere.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down