Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New to gardening.... Toplef10New to gardening.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New to gardening.... I22gcj10New to gardening.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New to gardening.... Toplef10New to gardening.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New to gardening.... I22gcj10New to gardening.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New to gardening....

+3
Wyldflower
camprn
dansamy
7 posters

Go down

New to gardening.... Empty New to gardening....

Post  dansamy 5/10/2010, 6:31 pm

It started with a Boy Scout project. Really. It did. We built a 4x4 box for my son for his BS gardening badge. He had to plant 3 veggies from seedlings, 3 from seeds, 3 flowers from seedlings and 3 from seeds. So, we built a box and bought "garden soil" for it. This was prior to buying the SFG book. Those plants are just gonna have to suck it up and make do! (We don't have topsoil here. We have clay. Red clay. Which you can't get out of clothing. No matter what you wash it with.)

I had been thinking about starting a little garden for a while. My son's project just kind of ignited that fire a little more. We bought lumber and we have built a box 3x12. (I know the book is negative towards 3ft wide boxes, but that's what fits where this box has space available to put it. I plan to plant accordingly.) If the 3ft wide box poses a problem, our next one will be built 2ft wide.

Now for an actual introduction....

My name is Amy. I am married and have 3 children. We live in lower Alabama. We're probably 50-75 miles from the coast. I think our "zone" would be 8A. I'm not even sure what that means! This is my first foray into trying to actually keep a plant alive. I plan to plant my new box tomorrow and Wednesday. And we'll see what we get!
dansamy

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

New to gardening.... Empty Re: New to gardening....

Post  camprn 5/10/2010, 6:58 pm

glad you\'re here It's a strange affliction, wanting to grow lots of plants. Welcome to the mysterious and rewarding , though at times aggravating, world of gardening. Cheers!
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 5/10/2010, 7:07 pm

Welcome, Dansamy... It's amazing how hard that gardening "bug" can bite!

No worries about a three-foot wide box.... there's nothing wrong with that. The only thing, I think, that Mel said was NOT to make your boxes wider than four feet. Anything wider would be difficult to reach the middle squares. I've got a three-foot wide box, and it works well for me. OH... are your boxes up against a wall or a fence and you can only reach them from one side? In that case, this may be an adventure!

Do what works!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 5/10/2010, 10:25 pm

Welcome to the world of SFG! I have a raised bed that is 3' wide and 24' long and can assure you that 3 feet works just fine. Granted I have access from both sides... if your's is up against a wall or fence, just be sure to plant the tall stuff in back and short stuff in front.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 5/10/2010, 10:27 pm

One more thing... if you want some local area specific advice, check out the Regional Forums by going to the main forum page and scrolling down a bit. You'll see one for Coastal & Tropical South. There should be other coastal SFGers there that you can get help from.
Best of luck with your garden! Very Happy
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

New to gardening.... Empty Merit badges gone wild

Post  SirTravers 5/10/2010, 11:47 pm

I can attest to the merit badges gone wild. My brother and I did rabbit raising merit badge. That turned into a 3 or 4 year ordeal, but we had plenty of compost material and plenty to eat as we did gardening at the same time haha! Welcome to the group. Smile
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 5/11/2010, 1:07 pm

Welcome to the forum! Our family has done a little bit of vegetable growing in the past but it was my twins 4-H group that really got us started! I think your 3' wide beds will be great especially for the kids. We went with 4' wide just because I wanted as much garden space as possible but the middle of the beds are a bit of a reach even for me!

How old are your kids? My three are 10, 10, and 15. (Yup, twins) New to gardening.... Icon_lol

We look forward to hearing more about your garden. Please post pictures if you get a chance!
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dansamy 5/12/2010, 1:58 am

DS10, DD9 and DS8. The eldest is in BS. The youngest is still in Cubs. In the Boy Scout box, we have:

• 2 tomato plants, which if they bear anything at all will be way more tomatoes than we normally eat! (Except my dd, she'll eat them like you would any other fruit. Plain, raw...just bite it and chew.)
  • 1 burpless bush cucumber hybrid. The label claims it will only vine about 2'
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 2 strawberry plants, which I don't expect to do very much this year since we are so late starting this project
  • some mixed wildflowers and marigolds
  • some carrot seeds
  • some cilantro seeds (it'll be a miracle if any of the seeds actually sprout, much less provide any edibles)

We did not divide the Scout box into any squares or plan anything at all regarding it. Pretty much, DH asked DS what he wanted to plant and that's what they planted. The only planning that went into it was building a sturdy box.

My 3x12 box is indeed by the house. There's a small space behind it but certainly not a 3ft wide path. I needed it to not jut in front of the steps by too much. If it proves too difficult to tend plants in the rear row, we'll make it into 2 rows deep by spacing future plantings a little wider. It'll be 24 large squares instead of 36 smaller ones. They'll just have a little more room. New to gardening.... Icon_biggrin In it, I have planted:

• 8 squares corn
  • 1 square lima beans
  • 1 square radishes
  • 3 squares cabbage
  • 2 squares string beans
  • 2 squares purple hull peas
  • 2 squares lettuce
  • 1 square endive
  • 1 square thyme
  • 2 squares chard
  • 2 squares squash
  • 1 square eggplant
  • 3 squares okra
  • 1 square cantelope
  • 4 squares watermelon (which is just one planting of watermelon in the center of the 4 squares. It's on one end of the box.
  • I'm missing 2 squares that I can't recall off the top of my head. I'm not going outside in the middle of the night to look! New to gardening.... Icon_razz

I'll be thrilled if any of it even sprouts. Like I said, I've never deliberately attempted to grow anything. I can kill an air plant. Some of that stuff is a little late in our season to really do much. I think the okra will probably die. I picked out the best looking seedlings from the store, but they were still sort of pitiful. It amazes me that our forefathers were able to keep themselves fed with far less information and technology than we have. I know that it was due to the fact that they had to plant 10x what was needed because they'd only harvest 10-20% of the crop and that was considered a good crop. When I read about soil pH, nitrogen, acid, etc, my eyes glaze over! I'd have starved 100 years ago!

I know I need trellises and cages for the cucumbers, tomatoes, squash and melons. What about okra? Will it need support? A whole cage or just a stick? (That's if it lives!)

And is it just me, but does 1 square foot look awfully tiny?
dansamy

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 5/12/2010, 5:59 am

I know I
need trellises and cages for the cucumbers, tomatoes, squash and melons.
What about okra? Will it need support? A whole cage or just a stick?
(That's if it lives!)

And is it just me, but does 1 square foot
look awfully tiny?

Howdy Amy:

Yep, one square foot does look small. However, it works! And the grids show you just how much you can grow in a small space.

Okra does not need any support. In the south they can grow up to 7 feet tall and will be just fine as a free standing plant.

God Bless, Ward.

WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down