Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 Toplef10Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 I22gcj10Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 Toplef10Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 I22gcj10Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Compost Tea Maker

+8
MrBooker
AtlantaMarie
CapeCoddess
sanderson
No_Such_Reality
yolos
jimmy cee
has55
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 Empty Re: Compost Tea Maker

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/21/2016, 8:21 am

Jimmy, can you talk about the differences between tea & leachate?

I don't know the difference and/or when to use one over the other.

Thanks.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 3/21/2016, 12:07 pm

Never use leachate.

Leachate is the water that runs off, percolates out of the compost/worm bin.  The main reason to never use leachate is that harmful bacteria/pathogens haven't cooked or rested out of the compost.

Essentially, using leachate could mean you're pouring water contaminated with e-coli or nasties on your plants for immediate take up.

Compost tea is the leaching of the nutrients from the compost into the water for application and take up.  

Even with compost, one should be aware of their harvest schedule.  Organic farming rules, if I remember correctly, calls for a 90 lead time from compost application to harvest (need to check that it may be manure application I remember).
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/22/2016, 7:25 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Jimmy, can you talk about the differences between tea & leachate?  

Thanks.
Tea is using a controlling factor pulling microbes out of their places in compost. Once their out they multiply depending on the aeration bubbles.Aeration cannot be to violent, otherwise microbes are destroyed..
Compost tea is made with an aerobic procedure.

Leachate is as N-S-R states a liquid that is soaked/percolated, etc out of a material that is anaerobic, meaning lack of oxygen,
Anaerobic for gardening is dangerous according to what I read in the microbe book. It can harbor very harmful bacteria, E-coli, salmonella, and others..

A few months ago, I knew nothing about this, all came about because it seems now that I have time to read rather than trying to make a living, I'm making good use of it, at least in my spare retirement time.
Anyone, interested in gardening or growing anything should read the Teaming with Microbe book.., it is so very interesting knowing what is going on down below plants. I mark up a book badly while reading it...
Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 Books_11

Last edited by jimmy cee on 3/22/2016, 7:38 am; edited 1 time in total
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/22/2016, 7:26 am

jimmy cee wrote:
AtlantaMarie wrote:Jimmy, can you talk about the differences between tea & leachate?  

Thanks.
Tea is using a controlling factor pulling microbes out of their places in compost. Once their out they multiply depending on the aeration bubbles, along with nutrients they like, molasses, etc. .Aeration cannot be to violent, otherwise microbes are destroyed..
Compost tea is made with an aerobic procedure.

Leachate is as N-S-R states a liquid that is soaked/percolated, etc out of a material that is anaerobic, meaning lack of oxygen,
Anaerobic for gardening is dangerous according to what I read in the microbe book. It can harbor very harmful bacteria, E-coli, salmonella, and others.

A few months ago, I knew nothing about this, all came about because it seems now that I have time to read rather than trying to make a living, I'm making good use of it, at least in my spare retirement time.
Anyone, interested in gardening or growing anything should read the Teaming with Microbe book.., it is so very interesting knowing what is going on down below plants.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/22/2016, 6:56 pm

I've gotta find this book....

Thanks Jimmy & N-S-R! Good explanations... And it makes sense!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 3/28/2016, 11:23 am

SOMEWHERE, someone else already posted information about making a tea brewer, "Dewey's Tea maker"?  Anyway, I got the information from this forum somewhere.  This is a different set up than Jimmy's, but the concept is basically the same.  I built it this weekend, haven't "brewed" anything yet, just did a "dry" run to make sure it was functioning and air bubbles are distributed in the bucket.  Planting time is coming up and I plan on brewing my own liquid "starter".  Brew some compost and maybe add some fish emulsion and use that to water the transplants.  
Anyway, was tickled with it, so I thought I'd share.

Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 Set_up10
Here's everything hooked together.  2 bigger airstones in the bottom and 2 smaller ones inside the bag that will hold the compost.

Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 Brew_t10
Turned on pump to wath it bubble.  Weeeeeeee  bounce

Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 Closed10
Once you have it loaded, just put the up on and set the pump on top, looks "tidy" to me.
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/28/2016, 11:27 am

Looks good and easy to use and I am sure it will be beneficial to your plants.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/28/2016, 2:58 pm

May I ask the total cost?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/28/2016, 3:31 pm

sanderson wrote:May I ask the total cost?
 I'll take  jab ob $25.00 should get you started, one or two air pumps, or one with 2 outlets, a  bit of tubing and stones, , five gallon bucket...assuming you have your own compost or worm waste molasses, should get you started.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/28/2016, 4:24 pm

Very reasonable. Aren't we a clever (and cheap) group of gardeners!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/28/2016, 4:28 pm

Zmoore ... is this the one you were referring to (i.e., Deuley’s Own Little Texas Tea Brewer)?

http://dchall.home.texas.net/organic/teamaker/PDFs/brewer.pdf
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/28/2016, 10:23 pm

I am getting ready to make a batch of fungal dominated tea. This involves compost, with powdered baby oatmeal, orange peels, to feed to fungi and help them reproduce a bit. My understanding is fungi only grows, it does not reproduce..It is extremely fragile and will perish even if moderate aeration. Fungi forms a symbiotic relationship with plants roots in the rhizosphere. It aids plants by allowing more  moisture in root area than if no fungi was there, also feeds certain nutrients to the plants, in return, the fungi is rewarded by receiving carbon from the plant that it needs and cannot get elsewhere.
A picture in the microbe book shows with and without fungi, with was close to twice the size .Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 Fungi_10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 3/29/2016, 8:49 am

trolleydriver wrote:Zmoore ... is this the one you were referring to (i.e., Deuley’s Own Little Texas Tea Brewer)?

http://dchall.home.texas.net/organic/teamaker/PDFs/brewer.pdf
That's It!  Thanks.

Total cost was in the ball park of $37.  I bought the pump with 2 outlets, which came with tubing and 2 small air stones, but I went ahead and got a full set of 1" and 6" air stones and the tee connectors.  I think it was about $31 total from PetCo and most of that was the pump, the other stuff is fairly cheap.  Then spent another $6 in Home Depot for a bucket, lid, and paint strainer mesh bags.

The pump is key on cost, I'm sure you could shop around a save a few bucks there and the bucket with lid can be gotten cheaper as well.  Did you know they sell the lids separate?  The bucket was $2.97 and the lid $1.68 plus tax.  I remember that because I was like "you gotta be.... Evil or Very Mad "
Zmoore
Zmoore

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 4/15/2016, 7:55 am

Brewing!  
Started a batch.  Thought I'd try some as a soil prep treatment for upcoming planting.
Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 Brewin10
Zmoore
Zmoore

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/15/2016, 8:42 am

Zmoore
Looks like some nice bubbles there...good luck with it..I did 3 batches already. each time I did the temperatures dropped to the low 20s..don't know if it did any good on my nix, I also drenched a spot of grass in front of the house... I am hoping to use lots on my grass...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 5/13/2016, 8:05 am

Well, started my second batch.  Added fish emulsion to this one, plan to use it as a transplant soak for sitting plants this weekend.  Bought my peppers and tomatoes yesterday, stick 
em in this weekend  bounce   

Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 Tea_br10
Zmoore
Zmoore

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/13/2016, 3:50 pm

Nice!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/15/2016, 4:59 am

I used this type of compost tea maker from bountea compost tea co. I was able to get this when aquajet ask 4 of us to go in for demo testing. I did not pay this price. Which is too high to me. I like the system because the netting goes all the way to the bottom and I don't have to tie it up, just put the compost in. The air aerator slips over the bucket edge and goes to the bottom of the bucket, so I don't need any stone or weights like I use to do with the aquarium air stone I bought from walmart.
I'm putting this here, because someone might be able to duplicate the design. I noticed it all PVC parts. I was going to create another one for another 5 gallon bucket, but I got stuck trying to figure out where to buy that screw on aeration tube. The PVC part is easy to create. the tube is simple to clean and remove.
Bountea Compost Tea Brewer 5gal

I like their instruction manual. It has great info on compost tea, bacteria and fungal.
BOUNTEA CATALOG_2015

Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 Bounte10

Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 Bounte11
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/15/2016, 9:19 am

has55
Yes you're right about their instruction manual. They have done a very nice job along with descriptions and images.
I didn't notice prices anywhere, I am sure it may be pricey, however, for some it could work out nicely.
I tend to look at these items, then figure out a way to do it myself., then there are those who do not and cannot.
I paid $30.00 for a aerator gadget that is working $15.00 for shipping, now that I look back, I wouldn't have done that.
I love walking around our local Lowes store, up and down aisles, look at everything and just imagine how I could use it, put it together with something else, etc.
Items always stick in the back of my mind for future use.
As far as that compost liner / filter, I think I am preferring the woman's stocking. It keep everything out of the fluid and so easy to remove, a lot less expensive I imagine.
All in all though, I would say it looks like a quality product and very interesting .
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 5/15/2016, 7:48 pm

Hey all, this thread got my attention. I have been a "composter" (spelling has never been my strong suit, the eighth grade was the six hardest years of my life) for over 40 years. I don't know as much as I think I should, but I have the basics down extremely well. I have always held the belief that the key to the garden is soil and watering, with some other things coming very closely behind.
    I was raised (not far from Sanderson) where the soil was very rich and fertile. When I was a little shaver, my Grandpa had a pile of just vegetation, (NO MEAT SCRAPS!) where he put anything that would rot. A few times a year he would borrow a tractor or his neighbor usually turned the pile. It was done without asking, he had a tractor and everybody had a pile that "needed turnin'." When the pile was mostly black Grandpa would add it to the garden, just mixed it in when he roto-tilled.
         I have heard about compost tea, and I have used a variation of this for making compost, but will definitely read more about it.  When I make a new pile of mixed greens and browns, I will take a bucket and fill it half way with the real black compost, the stuff under the pile that was previously there. I add warm water in the morning of a sunny day and let it soak. I try to keep the water warm to help grow the organisms that will be added to the new pile. I let this stew for a week or so, letting the pile cool a little, then I just pour it on top and let them go to work. Not that I have any scientific data to back me up, but it seems like the piles that I added this "Tea" to seemed to "bake down" for a much longer time than the ones that didn't have it. Both would rapidly go down for a few weeks or so, but then the one that had the tea kept going at a faster rate then the one that didn't have it. Like I said, not scientific, but it is a reasonable observation on my part.
    So when I saw this thread it peaked my interest. I started by Googling   compost tea   and found this site,

http://www.homecompostingmadeeasy.com/composttea.html

It gave me a little more information about it, and then it caught me, hook line and sinker. Being one to be as frugal (otherwise known as CHEAP tongue ) as possible, it shows a way to make compost tea without much work or equipment. I am sure there are other frugal folks on this site that will probably benefit from this method, and I would like to share it. I hope it helps those that don't use compost tea to start and hopefully benefit from it.
    Rock
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/15/2016, 9:47 pm

bigdogrock wrote:Hey all, this thread got my attention. I have been a "composter" (spelling has never been my strong suit, the eighth grade was the six hardest years of my life) for over 40 years. I don't know as much as I think I should, but I have the basics down extremely well. I have always held the belief that the key to the garden is soil and watering, with some other things coming very closely behind.
    I was raised (not far from Sanderson) where the soil was very rich and fertile. When I was a little shaver, my Grandpa had a pile of just vegetation, (NO MEAT SCRAPS!) where he put anything that would rot. A few times a year he would borrow a tractor or his neighbor usually turned the pile. It was done without asking, he had a tractor and everybody had a pile that "needed turnin'." When the pile was mostly black Grandpa would add it to the garden, just mixed it in when he roto-tilled.
         I have heard about compost tea, and I have used a variation of this for making compost, but will definitely read more about it.  When I make a new pile of mixed greens and browns, I will take a bucket and fill it half way with the real black compost, the stuff under the pile that was previously there. I add warm water in the morning of a sunny day and let it soak. I try to keep the water warm to help grow the organisms that will be added to the new pile. I let this stew for a week or so, letting the pile cool a little, then I just pour it on top and let them go to work. Not that I have any scientific data to back me up, but it seems like the piles that I added this "Tea" to seemed to "bake down" for a much longer time than the ones that didn't have it. Both would rapidly go down for a few weeks or so, but then the one that had the tea kept going at a faster rate then the one that didn't have it. Like I said, not scientific, but it is a reasonable observation on my part.
    So when I saw this thread it peaked my interest. I started by Googling   compost tea   and found this site,

http://www.homecompostingmadeeasy.com/composttea.html

It gave me a little more information about it, and then it caught me, hook line and sinker. Being one to be as frugal (otherwise known as CHEAP tongue ) as possible, it shows a way to make compost tea without much work or equipment. I am sure there are other frugal folks on this site that will probably benefit from this method, and I would like to share it. I hope it helps those that don't use compost tea to start and hopefully benefit from it.
    Rock

Hi Rock
Nice article, interesting also.
I knew nothing about compost till a few years ago when starting this SFG. Nothing about compost tea until I came upon the section in this book...According to info provided in it, They claim little or no positive results to compost leachatte. Aeration must be used to build up beneficial microbes, I haven't read any other read about it yet, however I am sure there is more on this topic as interesting as it is.

Compost Tea Maker - Page 2 Microb10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/15/2016, 10:49 pm

Jimmy Cee, the net is a paint strainer for 5 gallon buckets. Her's one. cost 2.19. I'm sure it cheaper. painter's strainer
when I'm finish with the tea, I just lift out the one piece aerator, then the  netting with all the compost material and placed it on one of the SFG beds. Then I rinse out the netting. No need to tie it up or place a air stone in the bag, since everything is in the bag anyway. The aerator extend the entire length of the bucket and paint strainer.  

Can you or anyone on the forum figure out how to build that aerator? has anyone seen that type of screw on  aerator?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/15/2016, 11:29 pm

it called a  non-clogging plastic air diffuser, but I could not find a image.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/16/2016, 7:45 am

has55 wrote:Jimmy Cee, the net is a paint strainer for 5 gallon buckets. Her's one. cost 2.19. I'm sure it cheaper. painter's strainer
when I'm finish with the tea, I just lift out the one piece aerator, then the  netting with all the compost material and placed it on one of the SFG beds. Then I rinse out the netting. No need to tie it up or place a air stone in the bag, since everything is in the bag anyway. The aerator extend the entire length of the bucket and paint strainer.  

Can you or anyone on the forum figure out how to build that aerator? has anyone seen that type of screw on  aerator?
It really looks simple enough to do. A typical 2 outlet air pump attached to one line, then adapted to larger piping.
A trip through plumbing sections at HD or Lowes should give one ideas.
Personally I think it's a waste, not needed, unless somehow that larger air filter emits correct size aeration bubbles.
States in the microbe book larger bubbles are not what's needed to tease microbes out of the compost. Small bubbles and lots of them are preferred, however, cannot be to small or they will cut up microbes..
This could be another one of those simple is better.. I think I am going to stay with the simple aerator and stone, maybe 2 stones with a second aerator.
I do like that bucket filter though, another trip through Joann Fabrics...may turn up something.
Everytime I try to make a batch of tea the weather get frigid...hopefully next week.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 5/16/2016, 12:54 pm

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. On the weather side,"Everytime I try to make a batch of tea the weather get frigid...hopefully next week." 
your bouncing between warm and cold. We're bouncing between warm and getting to hot 90's
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next