Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PVC Panel Toplef10PVC Panel 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PVC Panel I22gcj10PVC Panel 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PVC Panel Toplef10PVC Panel 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PVC Panel I22gcj10PVC Panel 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PVC Panel

2 posters

Go down

PVC Panel Empty PVC Panel

Post  ralitaco 3/7/2016, 12:11 am

I saw this while shopping at HD and thought it would make a great base for a TableTop bed.
PVC Board

I couldn't find any MSDS on HD or the manu's site but was wondering if anyone has used this. I know that there are lots of opinions out there against using any PVC or vinyl but I know that the SFG site sells Vinyl SFG frames.

They also had some PVC that could be used for the sides. 

thoughts?
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

PVC Panel Empty Re: PVC Panel

Post  Zmoore 3/7/2016, 10:36 am

A bit pricey IMO, but I don't see why it couldn't work.  Should be long lasting and durable.  I might consider this for my "final" garden design.  I don't think PVC is considered "harmful" from leaching from a gardening aspect.  I think pressure treated wood is a concern, but even that is debatable.

I have two beds with pressure treated wood (I'm not dead yet Wink) and I have added several more using untreated wood (cheaper) and I painted everything except interior face where the dirt goes.  I did this more out of the hopefully temporary nature of the beds instead of any major "leeching" concerns.  I have a plan for where I want my final permanent garden(s) to go, but not the funds so far.  When I go to build the permanent garden location this would be something to consider.  For "permanent" beds I was thinking cedar or redwood (also costly), this might be an even longer lasting solution.  

I'll have to keep an eye out for this in my local stores next time I'm out "looking".  To use as a bottom for a table top you'd still need support under it even for a 4x4 I would think.  Wood would be my first "go to" for the frame and support, which then almost defeat the purpose of going plastic.  I have a PVC picket fence and it has PVC runners that are about the same size a 2x4, just hollow in the middle if I recall correctly.  It's been in place now for..... 15 years or so?  It's been hit by a couple falling branches that broke the tops off some of the pickets, but the runner and posts are fine.  I bet they even make PVC corner pieces for going on a corner of a house that you could use to form joints where the sides go together.  I bet going all PVC would really be pricey up front, but if you're sure of the size and plan to use it long term, it could literally last you a lifetime.
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

PVC Panel Empty Re: PVC Panel

Post  ralitaco 3/7/2016, 11:06 pm

Zmoore,
Thanks for your thoughts. I have been looking for a Plastic/PVC/Vinyl to use so I don't have to paint or worry about it rotting, etc. I had seen the ones like the 2x's and have thought about using them as sides, but I wanted a bottom panel too. I currently have a 4x4 with plywood and a couple of 2x8's with wire shelving. I know I will have to build a frame underneath it but for that I can use treated 2x's but if I can figure out a way to avoid that too, that would be great. I have plans to build a couple more boxes this season and I may try that for the bottom on those.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

PVC Panel Empty Cellular PVC Panel MSDS

Post  ralitaco 4/25/2016, 7:08 pm

I am still considering this PVC panel for the bottom and possibly sides of some new beds. I am not an organic gardener nor a "No PVC for me" adherent. Having said that, I also don't want to use something that I know will be harmful - e.g. Lead Paint. Since I am uneducated in matters of science and plastic/vinyl, I thought I'd ask the manufacturer.

Here is what I emailed this morning:
I wrote:I was looking at your 4'x8'x1/2" PVC Panel at Home Depot. I am considering using it to build a raised vegetable bed. I want to use it on the bottom and the sides.
Would it be safe for food? I know we use PVC pipe for water, but I was told not all PVC is the same.
Should I be concerned about chemicals leeching into the soil?
Do you have an MSDS that I could look over?

Here is their email response:
Interplast World-Pak wrote:Thank you for your interest in Veranda HP.  

Please note that our ½” x 4’ x 8’ sheets will work great for projects such as a raised vegetable bed.  I have built several flower/vegetable boxes using the Veranda HP PVC trim and have not encountered any issues.  You should not be concerned about chemicals leeching into the soil as our boards are rot resistant.    I have attached a copy of the MSDS per your request.  Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

They also attached an MSDS sheet but I cant figure out how to post a PDF. I will have to save it as something else.

ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

PVC Panel Empty PVC Panel MSDS

Post  ralitaco 4/25/2016, 8:12 pm

Here is the MSDS
PVC Panel Img1010
PVC Panel Img1310
PVC Panel Img1510
PVC Panel Img17_10
PVC Panel Img1910