Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016? - Page 4 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016? - Page 4 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016? - Page 4 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016? - Page 4 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016?

+7
sanderson
AtlantaMarie
p14shooter
CapeCoddess
Scorpio Rising
trolleydriver
Kelejan
11 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016? - Page 4 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016?

Post  Kelejan 3/23/2016, 8:03 am

You are right, Marie, about being involved. I am a great believer that when you stop moving, you die. 

Another tenet I have, attitude makes a world of difference. e.g. I do not have the material things that many have, but I am richer than many as I appreciate everything that I do have.

ETA: One of the best things to happen to me was when sanderson invited me to host this Canadian Region.  It did take me a while to think about it, but I am so glad I did even though I was a little scared that I would be out of my comfort zone.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016? - Page 4 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016?

Post  trolleydriver 3/23/2016, 9:21 am

Kelejan wrote:Another tenet I have, attitude makes a world of difference. e.g. I do not have the material things that many have, but I am richer than many as I appreciate everything that I do have.
+1 (again)

I remember years ago hearing an interview with a lady who was well over 100 years of age. I think she was the oldest person in the USA at the time. The interviewer asked her to what she attributed her longevity. For me her answer was profound. She said it was because she "did not have things". As a result she did not have to worry about them or take care of them like other people do. She also mentioned having friends and family. So a simple, uncluttered (few material things) lifestyle and a focus on maintaining relationships with other people is the way to live.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/23/2016, 10:01 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:That certainly helps, KJ.  But you're also INVOLVED.  

You're always going hither & yon to hang out with friends, hand out worms, working in the garden, walking LOTS to do all of that.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of older folks just stop and that's when they really start going downhill quickly.  I don't know if they think they don't have much to contribute anymore or what...  They withdraw from life, it seems like...

I'm glad you're not like that!  You add so much here on the forum.  I just enjoy reading your posts.  And I'm sure your nearby friends feel that you add so much to their lives!

+1+
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/23/2016, 12:41 pm

OK, folks, this should be about Canada, not me. But your comments are appreciated.

Back to topics in Canada.  I see the far east has been having snow and electrical failures  and I feel so sorry for them.  I do know that when summer arrives, it always seems endless to me and I forget the long dark days and the cold.

I see my grass greening and while out walking yesterday a few people were actually mowing their lawns.  Then I realized that I was on the floodplain of the Columbia River and that is where they get the sunshine about two weeks earlier than I do situated under a north facing mountain. Hill really.  Sometimes I wish I could slice off a couple of hundred feet to expose the southern sun.  You know, something like a laser beam?  If they would only cut down the trees on the skyline would bring more sunshine to our sub-division.  Wishful thinking as it will not happen. Very Happy

Anyway, I found my daffodils where I did not remember planting them, they are coming up and had not been  eaten by the deer, unlike the grape hyacinth.  Garlic are coming up nicely and I can see growth coming up from the perennial plants, including the blueberries.  So all is OK with my little gardening world.

Now I need to concentrate on where I am going to plant stuff and get those spaces ready. Always something to look ford to.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/25/2016, 12:29 am

How is the weather doing all you far Easterners? Lots of talk of ice build-up.

glad you\'re here Great White North happy hi known as Marc.

I already welcomed you on your introductory thread, so this is just another welcome for when you get here.

Kelejan
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  p14shooter 3/25/2016, 8:04 am

The weather is changing.  Constantly.  It was supposed to be somewhat sunny today, now it is rain and cold.  Tomorrow is supposed to be the best of the worst days for a week, but I have to work so no garden work/planting will be done tomorrow.  Sunday is the next best day and thanks to Easter, I am off, so I will have to do something whether the weather is ideal or not as time is ticking away. 

No ice build up here, just cold.  I could plant as I have my cover ready, and my garden is still covered, if it would just stop raining on my days off so I get out and do it.
p14shooter
p14shooter

Male Posts : 97

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/25/2016, 9:12 am

KJ ... we got a few centimetres of snow, ice pellets, freezing rain and high winds. We are expecting more rain showers and snow flurries today. Then on Saturday things start to warm up with a sunny day. It's looking good for next week with high's getting up to 11 C but still going down as low as -6 C overnight. Still weeks away from any planting outside.

Question:  I put a milch of leaves on top of my SFG beds last Fall. Should I remove the mulch now so that the MM is exposed to the sun and will warm up faster?
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  StrongAsMeat 3/25/2016, 9:21 am

Kelejan wrote:How is the weather doing all you far Easterners? Lots of talk of ice build-up.

glad you\'re here Great White North happy hi known as Marc.

I already welcomed you on your introductory thread, so this is just another welcome for when you get here.

Kelejan
Hi Kelejan, nice place you got here. Yes we're very icy here today. I was worried about being too late to start going but clearly not the case.  Wink
StrongAsMeat
StrongAsMeat

Male Posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/25/2016, 10:00 am

Marc, You've got lots of time to get things going.

If you go to my "A First Time SFG in Canada" thread (see link below) from last year, you will see that my first post was on May 12! I had nothing built up to that point. I didn't do any indoor seed starting so I bought some transplants for the things I could not seed directly outside. But things like radish, carrot, bean, lettuce, swiss chard, spinach, beet and turnip did very well from direct seeding outside. I was able to get those two SFG beds built and planted and then had a bountiful harvest until Fall. By the way, I am retired so I had plenty of available time to set up the SFG boxes.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t19481-a-first-time-sfg-in-canada
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/25/2016, 1:14 pm

trolleydriver wrote:KJ ... we got a few centimetres of snow, ice pellets, freezing rain and high winds. We are expecting more rain showers and snow flurries today. Then on Saturday things start to warm up with a sunny day. It's looking good for next week with high's getting up to 11 C but still going down as low as -6 C overnight. Still weeks away from any planting outside.

Question:  I put a milch of leaves on top of my SFG beds last Fall. Should I remove the mulch now so that the MM is exposed to the sun and will warm up faster?
I would take note of your  consistent  night time temperatures.  At the moment mine are consistently around the plus/minus 3C mark depending on the cloud cover.  When the sun shines all day it is temping to take off the mulch but then you find that is when the temp drops and things get so cold.   No problem when it is raining or cloudy as the temp remains above freezing.  I haven't any real advice except that if you take off the mulch, make sure you can put cover on if it freezes.
It seems you still have plenty of time before you need to remove it.  You are still having nasty stuff like ice pellets aren't you?
I have garlic and strawberries under mulch right now, I will be be removing it soon but it is not as cold as you in Ottawa. My mulch will  either be added to the compost heap or placed on top of my wood chipped area.

Last edited by Kelejan on 3/25/2016, 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/25/2016, 1:27 pm

Thanks KJ ... sounds like a plan.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/25/2016, 3:01 pm

Been doing a bit of thinking about how to build a Table Top SFG to put nearer to the house for herbs. Then this strange thought came into my mind ... i.e., would it be possible to have a "double decker" table top SFG?  This would be a regular table top with a lower shelf for another SFG box. Maybe the lower shelf would be too shaded for good growth. Crazy idea?

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016? - Page 4 274447
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/25/2016, 6:15 pm

TD Use cool weather plants; lettuce, chard etc. Or cool weather herbs and the hot one on top.

Or store some stuff there.  Peat, vermiculite, pots etc. small hand tools well wrapped against moisture.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/26/2016, 8:46 am

Looking forward to the rest of the weekend, hoping it will not rain so that I can get on with finishing all the stuff that should have been done by last fall.

There should be no distraction for me as everyone I know seem to be going away so I should be able to accomplish a lot.

Have a great weekend everyone and stay safe if you are travelling.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/26/2016, 9:38 am

KJ ... Have a great weekend
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/26/2016, 1:45 pm

Beautiful day here.  Put some of my onion seedlings outside on the front porch to give them some sunshine.

My 8 year old grandson who is visiting us today said he saw a Robin on our front lawn. That's the first Robin for us this year. Always a good sign of Spring.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/26/2016, 3:08 pm

A friend has just offloaded five x 5 gallon buckets of coffee ground and veggies scraps and I don't know what else until I investigate.

Off to build my compost with  these goodies.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/26/2016, 3:35 pm

Good to hear my northern cousins are getting some nice weather. Nice score, KJ.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/26/2016, 10:25 pm

sanderson wrote:Good to hear my northern cousins are getting some nice weather.  Nice score, KJ.  

Yes, very lucky, sanderson.

My 4x4x4 compost box is now full to the brim.  I will check the temperature tomorrow and keep an eye on it until it loses heat then fork it all into the adjacent 4x4x4.
I am hoping for extra good stuff this year.

I really do need to build some 3x3x3s. I don't want to cut my current compost boxes down to 3x3 as that would be a lot of effort and waste. I think I will make some 4 x 2 boxes and use some extra wood I have for the three  x threes are these planks I have are six feet long.

My current 4 x 4s were originally built as I had purchased a job lot of wood that were 10ft long so I made too many of them.

Last edited by Kelejan on 3/30/2016, 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/28/2016, 11:05 am

glad you\'re here sandijack happy hi  for when you visit this Canadian thread.

from Kelejan :canada: your Regional Host.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/29/2016, 8:00 pm

Seen this evening on the road in front of our house ... wild turkey. Sorry for the grainy picture which I took with my smartphone and then cropped/zoomed. Still some snow on the neighbour's front lawn.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2016? - Page 4 IMG_1421_zps08y17pno
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/30/2016, 12:34 am

I don't want to boast, TD, but we have a flock of about 35 roaming around, but since the local government slapped a fine of $50 on anyone who gets caught feeding them, they seem to have disappeared.  They are quick learners.

We even have Turkey Crossing signs on our main Columbia Avenue and it even appeared on our Vancouver Global News one day.

Lovely day today here, temperature reaching about 14C with another three days of cloudless skies.  Wasn't able to do any gardening except for putting some eggshells and fridge leftovers on my compost pile as I had other stuff that had to be seen to.

Tomorrow is our big day when every householder gets a new bear-proof garbage can and two blue recycle bins, one each for paper and metal.  I notice that nothing has been said about vegetable refuse. This will leave me with another container to use perhaps in storing dry leaves. I wonder what will happen to the majority of the 4,500 old garbage containers? My own container is looking a bit battered after nearly 20 years of use, including teeth marks from a bear who tried to break into my  container when it was empty; so I do know it was bear-proof.

Garbage is being collected bi-weekly and recyclables the next.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/30/2016, 3:47 am

Wild turkeys and bear proof cans. Shocked If I had to contend with the possibility of running into a bear it would put a damper on my night time snail hunting! A wild turkey I could handle. . . I think. I have an opossum that got into some ripe veggie waste I put on the ground under the new leaves under the orange tree. They were so bad he just left the mess. tongue

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  StrongAsMeat 3/30/2016, 6:38 pm

Hey gang, I have a few questions. I haven't done anything with my sfg yet, they are calling for snow again Monday. Sad  I noticed when I got home at 5 that my designated area was completely in the shade, I figure it sets in around 4:30 or so. It gets the first light of day but is that enough?  

I also want to know if I do use fill for my hole and put my SFG with MM on top, do I need anything in between or is a weed fabric enough?

Thanks!
StrongAsMeat
StrongAsMeat

Male Posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/30/2016, 11:48 pm

Don't forget, StrongAsMeat, that we have only just passed the Spring Equinox so that means you will be getting more and more sunshine up to midsummer's day, then another three months to where you are today with the amount of sun you are getting.
So IMO there should be no problem.

Weed barrier on top of your fill, then your Mel's Mix should be fine.

How deep will your SFGs be?  Mel says 6" of mix but my beds are 8 inches deep, allowing for mulch on top to hold in the moisture in the hot summer.

A mantra I have for myself is always to keep the soil covered with mulch or anything else to keep the soil from being exposed to wind and sun.

Last edited by Kelejan on 3/31/2016, 8:44 am; edited 3 times in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum