Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Toplef10Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 I22gcj10Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Photo Op?
by countrynaturals Today at 6:07 pm

» Fifth Year SFG in Canada
by trolleydriver Today at 12:30 pm

» Mildew/ mould resistant infections of humans
by plantoid Today at 10:50 am

» Frankenflowers (moved it to the correct spot)
by countrynaturals Today at 10:43 am

» Hello from Southern Illinois!
by ispinwool Today at 7:48 am

» N&C Midwest: April is here! 2019
by sanderson Today at 4:45 am

» Happy Easter!
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 9:41 pm

» Northern California & Coastal Valleys - What are you doing this month?
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 9:04 pm

» Buying Compost
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:32 pm

» Puff Ball Bush???
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 1:03 pm

» How's the Weather Where You're At?
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 6:50 am

» Lemon Balm
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 6:49 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing APRIL 2019
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:15 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:01 am

» Garlic - Transplanting garlic in mid-season
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:56 am

» New England, April, 2019
by RJARPCGP 4/20/2019, 1:38 am

» April Avatar: Spring is HERE!
by trolleydriver 4/19/2019, 7:15 pm

» 2019 SFG Adventures in Hampstead, NC
by sanderson 4/19/2019, 3:54 pm

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by sanderson 4/19/2019, 2:20 pm

» Anybody Make or Use Homemade Bar Soap?
by sanderson 4/19/2019, 3:30 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/19/2019, 3:29 am

» Mel's Mix. How strong is your backbone?
by sanderson 4/19/2019, 3:27 am

» Tomato Tuesday - 2018 & 2019
by countrynaturals 4/18/2019, 12:36 pm

» Lemon Balm & Splenda
by countrynaturals 4/18/2019, 9:44 am

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 4/17/2019, 7:21 pm

» Sugar Magnolia snap peas, anyone?
by Roseinarosecity 4/16/2019, 12:56 pm

» Lavender Farming for $$
by sanderson 4/16/2019, 2:44 am

» Hand & Body Sugar Scrubs
by sanderson 4/16/2019, 2:44 am

» Infused Oils from Herbs & Flowers
by countrynaturals 4/15/2019, 11:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  sanderson on 3/14/2019, 2:55 am

Totally jealous. Thanks

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 17655
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 70
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  has55 on 3/15/2019, 7:44 am

@has55 wrote:that's good healthy fungi. I have to find the ratio per view chart to tell what a good ratio for each organism. If I find it, I will post it.
Using a microscope, assess the compost: using a 1:5 dilution of compost, 400x total magnification, there should be a minimum of thousands of bacteria in each field of view, 1 strand of fungal hyphae in each 5 fields, 1 flagellate or amoebae in each 5 to 10 fields of view and 1 beneficial nematode per drop.
has55
has55

Posts : 1978
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  OhioGardener on 3/15/2019, 10:13 am

Yesterday I found Teaming with Fungi at the discount book store at 40% off, so now I have all 3 books in the series.  Can't wait to read it!  Teaming with Microbes really changed my views on the living soil web, and now I'm in pursuit of fungi....  Smile
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 674
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  OhioGardener on 3/15/2019, 11:34 am

@has55 wrote:Using a microscope, assess the compost: using a 1:5 dilution of compost, 400x total magnification, there should be a minimum of thousands of bacteria in each field of view, 1 strand of fungal hyphae in each 5 fields, 1 flagellate or amoebae in each 5 to 10 fields of view and 1 beneficial nematode per drop.

It will be interesting to see the microbe count/activity in the firest batch of compost from the compost tumbler this spring. I don't expect to see much fungal hyphae or nematodes due to the closed environment of the compost tumbler - it is pretty much a closed environment - but, it should be very heavy with microbes.

In a couple weeks I will be making the first batch of Actively Activated Compost Tea to use in charging some Biochar, and plan on testing that at various times, i.e., 12-hour, 24-hour, 36-hour, to compare the microbe activity. That should be a good learning process.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 674
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  has55 on 3/15/2019, 2:49 pm

@OhioGardener wrote:
@has55 wrote:Using a microscope, assess the compost: using a 1:5 dilution of compost, 400x total magnification, there should be a minimum of thousands of bacteria in each field of view, 1 strand of fungal hyphae in each 5 fields, 1 flagellate or amoebae in each 5 to 10 fields of view and 1 beneficial nematode per drop.

It will be interesting to see the microbe count/activity in the firest batch of compost from the compost tumbler this spring. I don't expect to see much fungal hyphae or nematodes due to the closed environment of the compost tumbler - it is pretty much a closed environment - but, it should be very heavy with microbes.

In a couple weeks I will be making the first batch of Actively Activated Compost Tea to use in charging some Biochar, and plan on testing that at various times, i.e., 12-hour, 24-hour, 36-hour, to compare the microbe activity. That should be a good learning process.
look forward to the results.
has55
has55

Posts : 1978
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  OhioGardener on 3/16/2019, 2:49 pm

The Trilogy of Organic Gardening books.....I now have the full set.

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Lownen10
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 674
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  Kelejan on 3/17/2019, 8:25 pm

Good for you, Ohio Gardener. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 5471
Join date : 2011-04-24
Age : 84
Location : Castlegar, British Columbia

View user profile http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  jimmy cee on 3/17/2019, 10:17 pm

@has55 wrote:
@OhioGardener wrote:
@has55 wrote:Using a microscope, assess the compost: using a 1:5 dilution of compost, 400x total magnification, there should be a minimum of thousands of bacteria in each field of view, 1 strand of fungal hyphae in each 5 fields, 1 flagellate or amoebae in each 5 to 10 fields of view and 1 beneficial nematode per drop.

It will be interesting to see the microbe count/activity in the firest batch of compost from the compost tumbler this spring. I don't expect to see much fungal hyphae or nematodes due to the closed environment of the compost tumbler - it is pretty much a closed environment - but, it should be very heavy with microbes.

In a couple weeks I will be making the first batch of Actively Activated Compost Tea to use in charging some Biochar, and plan on testing that at various times, i.e., 12-hour, 24-hour, 36-hour, to compare the microbe activity. That should be a good learning process.
look forward to the results.
You can make up a batch of fungi to add to the tea at the very end. I believe the section on tea in the Microbes book explains how. I added a bit of compost, to a closed container, then a bit of oatmeal, a couple pieces of fruits. etc. closed the container, then placed in a couple brown bags, stored in a dark section,you want no light getting into container... closet would be good. relatively warm temps and in a few days you will see the mycelia developing. quite interesting.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2099
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 83
Location : Hatfield PA. zone 6b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  has55 on 3/18/2019, 2:25 am

Jimmy Cee, so good to hear from you. How long do you brew the fungi after you add it to the compost tea? How much did you make to add to the tea?
has55
has55

Posts : 1978
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  jimmy cee on 3/18/2019, 10:27 pm

@has55 wrote:Jimmy Cee, so good to hear from you. How long do you brew the fungi after you add it to the compost tea? How much did you make to add to the tea?
I used a 2 gallon container half full of material. I don't think it really matters as far as the size. proportion maybe yes. I always winged everything. The fungi (mycelium ) grows like a spiders web ( cobweb ) in that container. I found interesting instructions were a bit vague, mentioning to add it toward the end of the brew. I know the mycelium is very fragile and can be destroyed quickly in rough use. Before using  your blend on plants, try this...I did and it was unbelievable...Take a bit out of the finished tea. Strain it well, I used wifes old nylon stockings. Fill a spray can I used a hand held. Select a group of veggies....I selected bell peppers. ..Spray half of your selection and do not spray the other half. My sprayed peppers almost doubled in size in 4 days. I have so,e photos I'll try to dig them out
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2099
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 83
Location : Hatfield PA. zone 6b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  jimmy cee on 3/18/2019, 10:32 pm

Here is one I saved showing difference in size...back ground sprayed with compost tea.....foreground sprayed with nothing.....4 day period...amazing ...huh ?Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Pepper10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2099
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 83
Location : Hatfield PA. zone 6b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  OhioGardener on 3/19/2019, 8:21 am

@jimmy cee wrote:Here is one I saved showing difference in size...back ground sprayed with compost tea.....foreground sprayed with nothing.....4 day period...amazing ...huh ?

Yes, yes it is! But, it is very similar to what I have seen after starting to spray high quality compost tea on the plants. Another amazing thing to me was that the plants that were sprayed had virtually no insects - I don't know if it was because the spray prevented the insects, or if it was because the plants were so healthy that the insects weren't interested in them.  I am looking forward to monitoring the tea under the microscope this year to see how active it is at the time it is sprayed.

Thanks for posting this, Jimmy!
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 674
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  has55 on 3/19/2019, 12:29 pm

Thank you Professor Jimmy Cee. Question, going back over the time to add the fungi to the tea, when did you add it and how long did you allow it to brew, esp since the mycelium is fragile in rough water? Is the purpose to get the fungi to separate from the feed mix, then spray or to separate it and get it to grow in the tea, then spray?
has55
has55

Posts : 1978
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  jimmy cee on 3/19/2019, 10:15 pm

@has55 wrote:Thank you Professor Jimmy Cee. Question, going back over the time to add the fungi to the tea, when did you add it and how long did you allow it to brew, esp since the mycelium is fragile in rough water? Is the purpose to get the fungi to separate from the feed mix, then spray or to separate it and get it to grow in the tea, then spray?
I just do not know and never went far enough to find out..
Description was to add at the end of the cycle. I think I added it to the can a few minutes before it ended. Used an open spray can to just drench the soil. I made so much I used it all the time, one can never have or use to much.
Do not spray or distribute compost tea in the sun. Suns rays quickly destroy microbes....
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2099
Join date : 2013-02-16
Age : 83
Location : Hatfield PA. zone 6b

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  has55 on 3/20/2019, 1:27 am

@jimmy cee wrote:
@has55 wrote:Thank you Professor Jimmy Cee. Question, going back over the time to add the fungi to the tea, when did you add it and how long did you allow it to brew, esp since the mycelium is fragile in rough water? Is the purpose to get the fungi to separate from the feed mix, then spray or to separate it and get it to grow in the tea, then spray?
I just do not know and never went far enough to find out..
Description was to add at the end of the cycle. I think I added it to the can a few minutes before it ended. Used an open spray can to just drench the soil. I made so much I used it all the time, one can never have or use to much.
Do not spray or distribute compost tea in the sun. Suns rays quickly destroy microbes....
THANK YOU.
has55
has55

Posts : 1978
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  has55 on 3/20/2019, 2:18 am

OG this may be helpful. KIS ORGANICS has 12 videos of old microscopy research done 1-2 yrs ago. It's a cannabis channel, but still, good info to glean some experience. Go to the bottom of the page to the 1st video.
Tad Hussey-compost tea research.
has55
has55

Posts : 1978
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  has55 on 3/20/2019, 2:31 am

This is KIS organics using the microbulator.
has55
has55

Posts : 1978
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  OhioGardener on 3/20/2019, 9:34 am

Last summer the Living Web Farms did a 5-part video series, titled "Assessing Soil Health Using a Microscope", that did a great job of teaching the types of microbes, the desired ratios of them, etc.  I have referred back to the videos several times to pick up things I missed or wanted to review again.

Assessing Soil Health Using a Microscope Videos:

Part 1:


Part 2:


Part 3:


Part 4:


Part 5:
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 674
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  has55 on 3/20/2019, 5:18 pm

thank you.
has55
has55

Posts : 1978
Join date : 2012-05-10
Location : Denton, tx

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  OhioGardener on 4/7/2019, 4:25 pm

Made a 15-gallon batch of Actively Aerated Compost Tea (AACT) to use for inoculating 2Ft3 of Biochar to add to two different raised beds.

I did two different microscope analysis of the compost tea - once at 16 hours, and once at 24 hours - and, and was happy with the microbial activity I saw.  Many active bacterial, a lot of hyphae, some flagellates, and a couple amoeba. I was surprised that the microbial activity at 16 hours was nearly as great as it was at 24 hours (Note: I had planned to test at 12 hours, but since I started it at 4:00pm the 4am test was delayed for a few hours due to sleep desires). So, it may not be necessary to brew for 24 to 36 hours to get good compost tea. I will continue monitoring with the scope for future brewing to see if this is always the case.  This is the first time I made tea using a thermostatically controlled heater to ensure the microbes had ideal temperature to multiply, so that may have been part of the difference.

This has been a great learning experience, and hopefully will lead to continued improvement for the gardens. The microscope has been a great tool in this endeavor.

Here is a short video of the microbial activity in the compost tea at the 24-hour point, viewed at 400X on the microscope.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 674
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  OhioGardener on 4/11/2019, 12:20 pm

This morning while checking out a new batch of Compost Tea, I found this most interesting critter among all of the bacteria. Not sure what it is, but it was fascinating to watch. Still trying to identify it, though.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 674
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  OhioGardener on 4/13/2019, 10:15 am

@OhioGardener wrote:This morning while checking out a new batch of Compost Tea, I found this most interesting critter among all of the bacteria. Not sure what it is, but it was fascinating to watch. Still trying to identify it, though.

Thanks to Mr. Tim Wilson, author of Microbe Organics, for his note identifying this as a Testate Amoeba, which allowed me to then go to the Microworld - world of amoeboid organisms site to learn more about it. Continually learning more and more about the Soil Food Web! Very Happy
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Posts : 674
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Microbes...you gotta see this one !!! - Page 10 Empty Re: Microbes...you gotta see this one !!!

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum