Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Eagle eggs ready to hatch in nest - Page 4 Toplef10Eagle eggs ready to hatch in nest - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Eagle eggs ready to hatch in nest - Page 4 I22gcj10Eagle eggs ready to hatch in nest - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Eagle eggs ready to hatch in nest - Page 4 Toplef10Eagle eggs ready to hatch in nest - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Eagle eggs ready to hatch in nest - Page 4 I22gcj10Eagle eggs ready to hatch in nest - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Eagle eggs ready to hatch in nest

+9
CapeCoddess
Kathy Gizzi
quiltbea
camprn
donnainzone5
Kelejan
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
jimmy cee
13 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Eagle eggs ready to hatch in nest - Page 4 Empty Re: Eagle eggs ready to hatch in nest

Post  Kelejan 4/8/2016, 11:16 am

TD, do you think that number two is not looking too well?  It does not move around half as much as the older one, and to my mind it looks a bit bedraggled and it is only two days younger and I know it did have a problem early on. It should be "branching" by now.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Eagle eggs ready to hatch in nest - Page 4 Empty Re: Eagle eggs ready to hatch in nest

Post  CapeCoddess 4/8/2016, 12:20 pm

jimmy cee wrote:OK ....ready for another one ????this was the nest over in Hanover PA.
Last season a storm came through and the camera tipped over, not being able to repair it, they just shut it down..back up and there are 2 eggs waiting to hatch..There isn't night vision for this one, only visible during daylight hours.
http://hdontap.com/index.php/video/stream/bald-eagle-live-cam

The first chick died. The 2nd egg never hatched but the male isn't giving up yet.
Sad
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/8/2016, 1:33 pm

Kelejan wrote:TD, do you think that number two is not looking too well?  It does not move around half as much as the older one, and to my mind it looks a bit bedraggled and it is only two days younger and I know it did have a problem early on. It should be "branching" by now.
KJ ... I was thinking the same thing. It's feathers do not look as healthy as those on the one that has been branching. Hopefully it will be OK. They look like they are both sleeping right now with their heads resting on "pillow" sticks which are higher than the rest of the nest.

Update:
A few minutes later and they are both awake. They had a bit of "fight" pecking at each other. One is now branching on what is called "the spike". The other one is really flapping its wings but staying on the edge of the nest. No parent birds to be seen at this time.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/8/2016, 5:38 pm

I have checked often today and not seen any parent birds near the nest. As well I don't see any food in the nest.  Is this a way to get the eaglets to start fending for themselves?  Hope this does not turn out badly.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/8/2016, 6:38 pm

Parent just arrived with food and the eaglets went crazy.  Both eaglets were very active before the food arrived.  They even lifted sticks and parts of the nest ... I expect they were searching for food scraps or beetles.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/8/2016, 6:48 pm

I don't remember seeing the two parents at the same time and I am wondering if the one parent is a singleton now and having a problem finding enough food?

As was said earlier, we always have to be prepared for disaster. If every eagle chick survived we would be over populated with eagles. Balance of Nature.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/10/2016, 8:15 am

The two eaglets were still sleeping together last night.  Right now  one is perched out on a very slender branch, not the thick branch that is next to the nest.

I expect I will miss the moment when he takes off.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 4/10/2016, 12:34 pm

Its nice to see that both eaglets are still doing fine together.  Looks like we'll get two fledglings from that nest.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/10/2016, 9:39 pm

Most likely will leave the nest during daylight hours. In that case there are folk down there really into that particular nest, and will naturally be taking some videos. I believe last seasons was posted on youtube
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/11/2016, 9:15 am

#2 is having a hearty breakfast right now after taking the fish away from #1 who I assume has had his fill.

The fish is speckled; a trout? What's left of it.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/11/2016, 9:54 am

Kelejan wrote:#2 is having a hearty breakfast right now after taking the fish away from #1 who I assume has had his fill.

The fish is speckled; a trout? What's left of it.
A few years ago I picked up a case of speckled trout as one of the fish stations at Hatteras N.C.
What a delicious tasting fish, took it home, filleted them, froze em and had fish all winter.Eagle eggs ready to hatch in nest - Page 4 Trout10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/12/2016, 9:06 am

E8 finally branched this morning.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/12/2016, 9:10 am

The website says it first branched at 7:55 am.

Way to go E8 !
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/13/2016, 9:07 am

Both birds are branching this morning at 9:00 am EST.  The nest is empty.

http://www.dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/13/2016, 11:58 am

Tthey shared the nest last night, but I am going to miss those birds when they go.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/13/2016, 6:08 pm

A nice meal of another speckled trout and interesting to watch how E7 commandeers it while E8 looks on; then watching as gradually E7 has his fill and E8 gradually gets bolder and hungrier and finally grabs a piece of fish.  None of this play nicely stuff.

Now E8 is stuffing himself  while E7 looks on as he is already stuffed. They should sleep well tonight.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/13/2016, 8:19 pm

Yep, they don't play nice except at night time. The parents bring food and quickly get out of the kitchen. I'm wondering if E8 isn't a female. All things equal, she should be 2 days behind E7 in development. Right? But E8 looks bigger than E7, and was later than 2 days in branching. Yes?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/13/2016, 9:52 pm

E8 is the smaller one that was taken out of the nest due to plastic round its foot and came back looking smaller, and has started branching about 12 days later than E7.

I may  be getting mixed up between E7 and E8. I must take time to go back and re-read the script on them. Will do that tomorrow.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/17/2016, 3:34 pm

According to the website, E7 fledged yesterday at 7:55 am.  Way to go E7. Come on E*, show us what you can do as well. E7 Fledged 7:20am
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/18/2016, 12:49 pm

Did you see that???  That fledgling just took off...while I was watching it!
What a Face

Guess it didn't go far though...they're both back in the nest in need of a nap.  Flying is hard work!
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/19/2016, 4:31 pm

It looks as though there is a horse in the picture.

No, not in the tree but on the ground below.  A bay with a long tail.

E8 is doing a lot of flapping at the moment while E7 looks on.

I am waiting for that moment when one of them launches into to air with no  return unless it really flies. that happens in every bird's life, even penguins because they fly through water.

OK, not flightless land birds then.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/20/2016, 8:19 am

I just watched one of the eaglets fly from the nest tree over to a dead tree near the pond. They tracked him with the web cam the whole time. There was a smaller bird on the dead tree and it "attacked" the eagle by flying close to it. After a while a second smaller bird joined the attack. The eaglet has now flown back to the nest.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/20/2016, 11:22 am

Oh darn! I was up at 5am and did not tune in.  Just a s well as I had some important work to finish.

ETA Just watched it on video.  Not a very nice welcome to the big world. At least I know now the E7 is a she.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/24/2016, 12:35 pm

I seems that the two youngsters are being well fed, as there are two fish in the nest and the siblings are  sitting on the branches with parent on anther branch just watching the world go by.

I bet the parent is thinking, time they were hunting for themselves.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 4/29/2016, 12:07 pm

The two young eagles are still sleeping in their nest, that seems to me to be be slowing growing smaller as bits must fall off it each day.

One does fly to the home tree to the one further away but I have not seen the second do more that go from branch to branch.

Still being fed by the parent in the nest. Yesterday that had two large fish. Looks to be a long way before hunting for themselves.

As they are long-lived birds, it makes sense that they have a long childhood, five years before they are mature.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next