Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+20
Turan
keepercjr
sanderson
bigdogrock
Windmere
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
Mellen
No_Such_Reality
joy.cheri
CapeCoddess
CotheK
Kelejan
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
yolos
Scorpio Rising
24 posters

Page 30 of 41 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 41  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 11/22/2016, 3:09 am

The cheaper rain gauge we have been using had a design flaw where the measure markings were scraped off over time. This one has the measure inside, plus a bug and leaf screen, and water acts as a magnifying glass for reading!! It's 2" x 23" and should last our gardening life. Very Happy California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Rain_g10

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  Yardslave 11/22/2016, 12:01 pm

thinking That picture reminds me; I've got a rain gauge stashed away somewhere in my shop- been so long since I needed it, I can's recall where I put it! With the promise of more rain in the future, I'd better go find it.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/22/2016, 10:49 pm

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:I found my firstCalifornia - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Pattyp10 patty pan squash. YEE-HAH! I hope the little guy makes it okay in the greenhouse.
I hope you are successful, my attempts at growing tender plants like squash in the greenhouse have been failures.  Are you heating your greenhouse?
Heat and lights, but not much of either. It stays between 50 &60 unless it's warm and sunny out.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 11/22/2016, 10:57 pm

Suz, I assume there are no  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 2636062189 in your greenhouse -- don't forget that you'll need to pollinate your pattypans in their stead.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/23/2016, 11:19 am

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Suz, I assume there are no  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 2636062189 in your greenhouse -- don't forget that you'll need to pollinate your pattypans in their stead.
YIKES! I didn't know that. I'd better look that up. Shocked

Thanks, Beetles. I looked up how to do it and also checked for new blossoms on the plant. Looks like I'll be trying it out in a few days. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/27/2016, 2:25 pm

EVERYTHING LIVES! I can't believe it! We haven't seen the sun in 3 days. It's been dark, cold, and wet. I went outside for the first time this morning and even my peppers and zucchini are okay. Greenhouse plants and caterpillars are okay, too. YEE-HAH!  cheers
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/27/2016, 3:26 pm

Received close to 0.8" of rain yesterday.  rock on  I managed to add horse manure under the wood chips in the rest of the little dirt strip, just as it started to sprinkle.  Rushed a bag of kitchen trimmings to the junk compost pile, and grab 2 drying area rugs off the clothes line before the serious rain started.  Oh, and did a second major harvest of kale and Swiss chard, cilantro, basil and parsley.

I've been in the kitchen for 2 days. and today will make 3, what with removing the meat from the turkey I cooked yesterday and blanching the kale, etc.

Friday I started the beef bone broth from some grass-feed beef soup and marrow bones, and thawed out some frozen tomatoes.  I roasted and froze the left over "yams."  Saturday I roasted an organic free-range turkey for dinner and started freezing the beef broth.  The first taste of the turkey was a surprise as they don't have the saline and butter injected under the skin!  The taste grew on me.  The company is Mary's, a California grower who changed from housed turkeys in long row houses to removing the walls and letting them roam free. http://marysturkeys.com/  I used to inspect row houses of turkeys and chickens and I can tell the difference in the appearance and health of the birds.  They also have pastured chicken. Very Happy

Today will be cleaning the turkey bones, freezing the meat and making turkey bone broth. And maybe making some tomato sauce for freezing. Oh, and cleaning up the whole kitchen! Shocked

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 11/27/2016, 5:31 pm

sanderson wrote:Received close to 0.8" of rain yesterday.  rock on  I managed to add horse manure under the wood chips in the rest of the little dirt strip, just as it started to sprinkle.  Rushed a bag of kitchen trimmings to the junk compost pile, and grab 2 drying area rugs off the clothes line before the serious rain started.  Oh, and did a second major harvest of kale and Swiss chard, cilantro, basil and parsley.

I've been in the kitchen for 2 days. and today will make 3, what with removing the meat from the turkey I cooked yesterday and blanching the kale, etc.

Friday I started the beef bone broth from some grass-feed beef soup and marrow bones, and thawed out some frozen tomatoes.  I roasted and froze the left over "yams."  Saturday I roasted an organic free-range turkey for dinner and started freezing the beef broth.  The first taste of the turkey was a surprise as they don't have the saline and butter injected under the skin!  The taste grew on me.  The company is Mary's, a California grower who changed from housed turkeys in long row houses to removing the walls and letting them roam free. http://marysturkeys.com/  I used to inspect row houses of turkeys and chickens and I can tell the difference in the appearance and health of the birds.  They also have pastured chicken.  Very Happy

Today will be cleaning the turkey bones, freezing the meat and making turkey bone broth.  And maybe making some tomato sauce for freezing.  Oh, and cleaning up the whole kitchen! Shocked
Sanderson, you make me tired. sawing logs
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/27/2016, 5:49 pm

I make me tired! Off to see if I can make some tomato sauce for freezing out of the now soggy tomatoes.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 11/27/2016, 8:14 pm

sanderson wrote:I make me tired!  Off to see if I can make some tomato sauce for freezing out of the now soggy tomatoes.
That was a lot of things that you did.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Male23-male-tired-weary-smiley-emoticon-000065-large
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/28/2016, 3:54 am

Well, still need another day in the kitchen. Still have to freeze turkey Seal-a-Meal packets, make turkey broth (cool and Seal-A-Meal), sort, wash, blanch and SAM all the greens, dehydrate the herbs, and clean up the kitchen again. My back is screaming from standing up (Ibu) and it seems the dishwasher heating element may be on the fritz! Husband will pull it out and try to diagnose tomorrow. With my luck, he will have to order a part!

So far I have prepared and/or put up the follow:
Cooked and boned a turkey
6 cups of tomato/pasta sauce
4 cups of beef broth with more remaining
6 servings of yams
9 oz. of grass feed cooked beef

I made some mashed potato latkes with the Walking onions from the garden. yum I will make another batch tomorrow for freezing. The tomato sauce called for fresh basil and parsley, which I had harvested before the rain. Very Happy

Off to bed with more Ibu.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/1/2016, 12:05 pm

We have 3 more days of sunny skies and nights above freezing, then nighttime temps dip to 30 and 9 days out it could SNOW! affraid I still have peppers, tomatoes, and zucchini in the garden. If they aren't ready in 3 days, I'll just have to pick them anyway, I guess. Rolling Eyes

The greenhouse is doing okay. Nothing is actually thriving, but everything is staying alive and looking pretty good.

In the house, all is well. I may not get any cukes this winter, however. My seedlings are all leggy. They want more light than I can provide indoors.

Today I'm doing some transplanting of butterfly plants and tomatoes. I need to bring in some zinnias in case I get any butterflies in the greenhouse. (One of my frit cats looks about ready to pupate.)
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/4/2016, 2:08 pm

Yesterday was the last perfect gardening day of the year, so I spent it in the emergency room with a kidney stone. Sad Today should be almost as good, weatherwise, but I'm still so weak I'll be spending it on the couch. Sad Maybe I can get some knitting done later, so it won't be a total bust. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/5/2016, 3:59 am

Ouch, a kidney stone!  Your kidney stone beats my Tuesday broken tooth, Wednesday root canal and crown prep.  At least I could work as usual once the 'caine wore off.  

My iPhone is fixed and I can now transfer photos to my PC, oh you lucky folks. Wink The phone went on the fritz Friday after Thanksgiving.

Harvested a bunch of kale, Chard, bok choy basil, parsley and cilantro right before it started raining.  The herbs were successfully dried.  The Chard survived the delay in blanching but I had to throw out maybe 75% of the kale and bok choy.  So much of that beautiful harvest went to waste, actually the compost bin.   Sad
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Harves10
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Harves11
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Harves12

Mary's Organic Free Range turkey can be seen a little in the second photo above.  We ate one dinner and I boned and froze the meat.  Here are the left over bones simmering for rich bone broth, which is now in the freezer.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Turkey10
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Broth_10

Nov 26 & 27, starting grass feed beef bone broth (simmered 24 hours) and frozen summer tomatoes for tomato sauce.  I saved 9 oz. of tender shredded beef and made beef stew with 1 c. of its rich broth.  To die for.California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Broth_11

Here is the tomato/pasta sauce.  Again, to die for.  What is it with home grown veggies and pastured/organic meats??  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Tomato10

Friday and Saturday, the dishwasher was out of commission while Ken trouble-shot it. This morning I was finally able to finish washing all the dishes, etc., and scrub the counters!

The Baker seeds arrived but still waiting on the big catalog. For fun I'm going to plant Glass Gem corn and Sorghum in part of the BTE strip where I had the sunflowers. Maybe a couple of sunflowers for the finches. Just for show and tell. Signing off for now, it's good to be caught up on the Forum after this crazy week.

Wednesday, while I'm at the dentist for a second crown prep, our TV service will be changed over to another provider, against our will. Everything will be available except for our favorite pure national and international news station. sobbing

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/5/2016, 6:27 am

Oh, CN, I'm so sorry! DH has had several and we know he has at least 2 floating around in his right kidney currently.....

Sanderson, sounds like you're having a lot of fun too......

I hope both of you are feeling better quickly!

Sanderson - Please let us know how the Glass Gem corn does. It was absolutely gorgeous on the BC cover last year. (But DH will kill me if I buy anything else right now, lol!)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/5/2016, 9:04 am

CN and sanderson ... sorry to hear about what you have been going through. Hope you are both back to 100% very soon.

Last edited by trolleydriver on 12/5/2016, 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 11:58 am

Yup, I've now had both and I'll take a root canal any day over a kidney stone. I probably have more to come of both, too. Sad Sad Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/5/2016, 12:03 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:Oh, CN, I'm so sorry!  DH has had several and we know he has at least 2 floating around in his right kidney currently.....

Sanderson, sounds like you're having a lot of fun too......

I hope both of you are feeling better quickly!
My sympathies to DH, Marie. I have more floating around, too. Sad Sad

Feeling better today. Maybe I can get out to the garden and see what's going on. Smile
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/7/2016, 10:43 pm

IT'S SNOWING! affraid Soggy, slushy stuff that started out as rain, so not much is sticking. Tomorrow morning should be interesting. This will probably be the end of the summer crops in the "salad bar." Sad We have rain forecast for 9 of the next 10 days, so I will have to shift my focus from gardening to Christmas, knitting, and painting rocks, but that's okay -- I still have the greenhouse and sun porch gardens to play with. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/10/2016, 6:07 pm

Husband's out of town and, feeling a bit blue, thought a walk in the neighborhood would be healthy.   37 min of walking, comparing our front yard with all the others, running into a family raking leaves and putting up Christmas lights.  The result?  Feeling better and 3 large bags of leaves!  I had to walk home to get the car, so I made a bouquet of Russian and curly kale, green and rainbow chard and a big sprig of parsley as a thank you for the family. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/15/2016, 2:01 pm

This morning I grabbed some photos before the serious rain begins.  I don't know why the photos are rotating.  Techno-challenged here.  I'll have to research.

West side of house looking towards back fence., used mainly for trellised winter squash and melons.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Winter27

West side moving closer to orange tree.  Compost cage for "junk" compost for flower beds. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Winter28

The 3x3x3' Berkeley compost bin and "junk" compost cage. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Winter20

Back fence on the right.  Two 2x4 sleeping beds that are in the shade during winter. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Winter21

Moving closer to the east fence. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Winter24

Backed up to east fence looking west. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Winter22

More of patio. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 Winter23

Last edited by sanderson on 12/15/2016, 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/15/2016, 4:48 pm

If you right click on the sideways images and say "open image in new tab" then click on that tab at the top of your screen, the image is right side up.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/15/2016, 4:58 pm

Wow, Sanderson! You make use of every square inch and everything looks awesome. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 3170584802 I love your orange tree. We got 4 oranges off our little one and it is now starting to bud again in the house. I think it will have to go into the ground next year, but then I said that last year, too. Embarassed
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/15/2016, 6:06 pm

When I right clicked on the photo in My Photos, it offered "rotate clockwise"   Very Happy  

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 12/15/2016, 6:21 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Wow, Sanderson! You make use of every square inch and everything looks awesome. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 30 3170584802 I love your orange tree. ...
+1  cheers
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 41 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 41  Next