Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+20
Turan
keepercjr
sanderson
bigdogrock
Windmere
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
Mellen
No_Such_Reality
joy.cheri
CapeCoddess
CotheK
Kelejan
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
yolos
Scorpio Rising
24 posters

Page 27 of 41 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 34 ... 41  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/2/2016, 8:59 pm

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 3170584802 Hahaha! It was a bit like that here for the deep summer....nothing like you guys are enduring.....good one!  

Glad for ya!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 10/4/2016, 11:29 pm

With this cool weather, I'm finally able to get some needed work done.  Installed a trellis for the snow peas (not shown), 2 beds cleaned, amended and put to bed for the winter.  Covered the 2x8' TT with tulle.  There were at least 20 green caterpillars on the the kale and broccoli that had to be dispatched first.  about the thickness of hair and 2 mm long, hiding along the veins!  Patio shade covers taken down (one still showing in the photo), washed and put away.  I still need to sow the carrots and parsnips.  All of the winter crops are in one area of the back yard!  Yippee!  As soon as the winter squash and cantaloupes finish, one way or the other, I can put those beds to sleep. Here's the winter crops in TTs (2 small beds of snow peas are off the other side of the patio). California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 Winter19

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 10/5/2016, 4:59 pm

I haven't been on in FOREVER.  Sanderson you reminded me to get some tulle over my beds!  Question ... we  built a table top bed for my husband's grandma in the spring.  I would like to put some sugar snap peas in it but I obviously can't put a 6 foot tall trellis on it.  Can they just fall over the side like the cucumbers?
keepercjr
keepercjr

Female Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/5/2016, 5:37 pm

Keeper! happy hi Missed you!

Good question. My snow peas were getting tall and collapsing because I was late getting the trellis up. This is just my suggestion: go to Dollar World /99 cent store and buy the cheap little wire flower bed borders. Collapsible, 3-piece things that can be separated. That would give them something to climb up and get out of the soil. After that, they can fall over the sides. I'm thinking that the peas collapsing on the soil could create a mold situation for the stems.

How about a photo or two. What have you been up to. Hope everything is okay.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/9/2016, 2:36 pm

For the last 3 gorgeous days, I have been putting up herbs, making chicken broth and freezing with the Food Saver.  Small triplicate jars are for the daughters at Christmas.  The bag of sunflower seeds are what I saved from this summer.  The seeds are small and I don't know which of the neighborhood birds eat these. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 Herbs_10

First batch of chicken broth.  I chopped up the carcass bones and a new package of wings for the second batch and it was nicely gelatinous. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 Broth_10

I was late getting a triple trellis in place for the snow peas but I managed to get one up and I'm happy with the new design (for me). California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 Snow_p11

New Zealand spinach just keeps producing, about 16 months old from one (1) seed!  Pest, disease, heat and freeze resistant.  What more can I say. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 New_ze11

Battered winter squash and cantaloupes crawled out if their respective boxes and met up at the tomatillos.  Surprise, late fruits. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 Winter21
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 Winter20

That's all for now as I need to get outside and build the frames over the newest table top.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/9/2016, 4:55 pm

I love those surprises!  I was really disappointed in my muskmelon and watermelon until I came upon my surprise fruits!   Nice!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/11/2016, 3:09 am

Personal size!  Sweet and juicy!  This is the one up in the pot and it came away so easily. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 Cantal10
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 Cantal11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 10/11/2016, 10:52 am

Yum ...   hungry
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/16/2016, 1:05 pm

I just had one of those this week. It was hanging there one day and fell off over night. I found it and brought it in the next morning. It was tiny and delicious. Cool

Sorry I've been gone for so long. I have been sick for a month. I had blood work done last week and see my doctor for the results, tomorrow. I'll post again, then, when I finally get some answers (I hope). At least I'm feeling a little better, now. Smile
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/16/2016, 2:15 pm

CN, I hope you get well soon!!!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 10/16/2016, 2:33 pm

Hope you get well soon, there's no joy in being ill for a month, CN
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/16/2016, 7:10 pm

Sanderson, your garden is doing so well now! What do you attribute that to? All the hard work you've put into it? Change of seasons? I need all the helpful hints I can get!

CN, glad you're feeling betrer. Will check in tomorrow for you results.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/16/2016, 7:40 pm

CC,  Thank you.  I want to say that the change in season revitalizes both the plants and the gardener. Very Happy

For the new winter beds, shown clustered together with bridal veils, I did add some of the following as additions to more home made compost. I have no idea if it will make a difference next for next summer. Kelp, crab, bone and blood meals, powdered milk and bagged composted manure. I will be conducting some experiments but that will be a different topic.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/16/2016, 8:01 pm

MmmMine
sanderson wrote:Personal size!  Sweet and juicy!  This is the one up in the pot and it came away so easily. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 Cantal10
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 Cantal11
Minnesota Midget?  Yummo!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/20/2016, 7:53 pm

Almost everything is dead in the garden. I don't know why, since I never missed a watering and our weather seems fine to me. Some of our nights get down into the mid 40s, but I didn't think that would be too cold. Obviously, I don't know much.

I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I haven't had sweeteners or carbs in over a week and still feel lousy. Cholesterol is high, but everything else checked out okay. Next is the cardiologist. I'm so sick of being sick. All I do is play XBox and watch TV. This isn't living. Mad Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/20/2016, 8:45 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Almost everything is dead in the garden. I don't know why, since I never missed a watering and our weather seems fine to me. Some of our nights get down into the mid 40s, but I didn't think that would be too cold. Obviously, I don't know much.

I was diagnosed with Type II diabetes. I haven't had sweeteners or carbs in over a week and still feel lousy. Cholesterol is high, but everything else checked out okay. Next is the cardiologist. I'm so sick of being sick. All I do is play XBox and watch TV. This isn't living. Mad Sad
So sorry to hear this No   I'm reading a fantastic new book, written by a doctor that deals with end stage diabetes patients that have kidney failure.  His name is Dr. Jason Fung (from Canada).  He was tired of seeing failure out of the standard treatments and did in depth research on how the body deals with weight, blood sugar, insulin etc.  It's called "The Obesity Code."  Super readable yet scholarly.  You can also look him up on Youtube where he has a lot of videos. 

I started following his information in Mid-May and am down 30+ lbs and feeling so much better.  I have diabetes on both sides of my family and didn't want to go down that path.  Sending {{{{HUGS}}}} your way!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/20/2016, 9:06 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Almost everything is dead in the garden. I don't know why, since I never missed a watering and our weather seems fine to me. Some of our nights get down into the mid 40s, but I didn't think that would be too cold. Obviously, I don't know much.

Suz, we have more important things to think about than the garden...it is what it is.  

You however, need to get it together!  Only you can do this.

Let's get you on track with a plan to handle your new normal, carb counting, exercise in moderation according to your fitness profile. This is a do able lifestyle especially since you have a garden! 
I am in your corner!happy hi
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/21/2016, 1:22 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:

Suz, we have more important things to think about than the garden...it is what it is.  

You however, need to get it together!  Only you can do this.

Let's get you on track with a plan to handle your new normal, carb counting, exercise in moderation according to your fitness profile. This is a do able lifestyle especially since you have a garden! 
I am in your corner!happy hi
I don't mind counting carbs, giving up sugar, and exercising. I've been doing it all for over a week. I'm just tired of being sick. When do I start seeing results? California - What are you doing this month? - Page 27 671790
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/21/2016, 1:28 am

audrey.jeanne.roberts wrote:

So sorry to hear this No   I'm reading a fantastic new book, written by a doctor that deals with end stage diabetes patients that have kidney failure.  His name is Dr. Jason Fung (from Canada).  He was tired of seeing failure out of the standard treatments and did in depth research on how the body deals with weight, blood sugar, insulin etc.  It's called "The Obesity Code."  Super readable yet scholarly.  You can also look him up on Youtube where he has a lot of videos. 

I started following his information in Mid-May and am down 30+ lbs and feeling so much better.  I have diabetes on both sides of my family and didn't want to go down that path.  Sending {{{{HUGS}}}} your way!
I'm not overweight, but I have dropped 2 lbs already, just by giving up sugary drinks and snacks. Is there more to "The Obesity Code" than weight loss? 

Sanderson? Is there a way to move these posts somewhere else, since we're so far off topic? pale
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/21/2016, 4:01 am

Remind me tomorrow. I will try to make a sub forum on nutrition for health problems. Then I can move these. I just found out my cholesterol is 230!!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/21/2016, 11:25 am

sanderson wrote:Remind me tomorrow.  I will try to make a sub forum on nutrition for health problems.  Then I can move these.  I just found out my cholesterol is 230!!
Mine is 246. I guess we both have some work to do. Shocked
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 10/21/2016, 11:40 am

countrynaturals wrote:
sanderson wrote:Remind me tomorrow.  I will try to make a sub forum on nutrition for health problems.  Then I can move these.  I just found out my cholesterol is 230!!
Mine is 246. I guess we both have some work to do. Shocked
My problem is low good cholesterol and border line bad cholesterol. My doctor put me on fish oil and cod liver oil.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/21/2016, 1:36 pm

My HDL is low, also.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/21/2016, 2:58 pm

sanderson wrote:My HDL is low, also.
Same here.  Sad

Fish oil? I'll check on that. thinking
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 10/21/2016, 5:11 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
sanderson wrote:My HDL is low, also.
Same here.  Sad

Fish oil? I'll check on that. thinking
It's the omega-3 fish oils.

My triglycerides are sometimes in the bad range as well.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 27 of 41 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 34 ... 41  Next