Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+20
Turan
keepercjr
sanderson
bigdogrock
Windmere
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
Mellen
No_Such_Reality
joy.cheri
CapeCoddess
CotheK
Kelejan
trolleydriver
AtlantaMarie
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
yolos
Scorpio Rising
24 posters

Page 19 of 41 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30 ... 41  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 7/16/2016, 2:24 am

Well, today was 105*F with the air pollution in the hazardous Red Zone, so it was nasty. I got up with the first light and turned the 13-day old compost pile for the 4th time and added some water. It had finally reached 165* so it is moving along. Only 3 or so more turns.

I'm concerned about the garden, well, mainly the tomatoes. After I pruned a lot of dead branches, new green growth started showing up. That is good but some of the branches and leaves are really small and curled upwards. I have lost 2 plants completely, San Marzano and Beefsteak. Probably one of the Snow Fairy. I am wondering if the straw or alfalfa used in the compost piles have herbicides. Just a thought.

So, Audrey, is it time to start the kale, broccoli, etc. in seed pots? Mellon, CN and I are waiting for you to let us know. Very Happy When do you put in the onion sets and garlic cloves? Carrot seeds? Parsnips?

After another spraying of milk, I am seeing fewer little grasshoppers. Tonight I got 2 when I watered and it only took 5 swats with the fly swatter. I'm getting better. I feel like a SWAT person, but instead of a flashlight with the gun, I have the flyswatter with the hose wand. Peppers are doing good, parsley was and then I found a green worm eating away. Cucumbers have lots of flowers but only a few fruit. Only the Muncher is not bitter. I had such great hopes as the early fruits of Pickler, Muncher and Apple Crisp were perfect. I think there is a pollinated cantaloupe!

The sunflower are 6' now, very fast growers in this weather. [earlier photo under BTE thread] I think there are flowers forming for the neighbors to ooh and ah over when they take their walks. Wink I love working with the Agibon-30 but I have this awful feeling that it fried my KY beans. The top foot or so are dead. The cover was open at both ends but I think it still got too hot under there. That's all for now.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  countrynaturals 7/16/2016, 11:50 am

It's been 105 or worse for several days here. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING has stopped. I have a lemon cuke that got it's first true leaf about 10 days ago and that's still all it has. My banana squash got off to a roaring start but hasn't grown an inch or produced a new leaf since. The list goes on and on and on. Nothing is dying but nothing is progressing, either. I will definitely have to grow some bush varieties in the house during July and August from now on. It's a good thing we have a long growing season because that's obviously what it takes to garden in this climate. Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/18/2016, 2:24 pm

Oh my aching back!  Rolling Eyes This morning I discovered 3 things: the soil level in my "salad bar" has dropped 2" (not unexpected), we're slowly heading for a heatwave, and the wind dropped about 4 bushels of dried leaves in the yard. That was 2 hours ago. Now 3 bushels of those wonderful leaves are in the garden beds, the 4th is in a handy container to use as needed, and I'm on the couch, moaning. Rolling Eyes For probably the last day until October, our high today will be well below 90, so I'm getting everything I can done outside. By the end of the week we'll be back in the triple-digits and I'll be a mushroom again.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/19/2016, 3:21 am

I hope to be able to visit Audrey tomorrow (Tuesday) and find out her secrets for successful gardening. Wink I turned the compost for the 5th time so I have Tuesday free!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/19/2016, 11:40 am

sanderson wrote:I hope to be able to visit Audrey tomorrow (Tuesday) and find out her secrets for successful gardening.  Wink   I turned the compost for the 5th time so I have Tuesday free!
Why don't the 2 of you drive up here and we'll make it a threesome. You could help us install shade cloth over the "salad bar" in preparation for our coming heat wave.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 3170584802
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/19/2016, 2:08 pm

Razz I looked at the weather forecast and a nasty heat wave is expected by the weekend. tongue

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/19/2016, 10:01 pm

sanderson wrote:Razz   I looked at the weather forecast and a nasty heat wave is expected by the weekend. tongue  
Gotta get our shade cover finished by Friday. Saturday it's supposed to be 106. affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 7/20/2016, 1:50 am

Sooooo.... Sanderson and I finally got to meet today.  We couldn't stop talking, what fun it is to finally meet someone who has become a friend.  She got the grand tour of my monstrous and messy gardens and we swapped seeds and talked about the forum and other dear people here and politics and.... Great time!!!  Guess what we forgot to do?  Take a picture Razz  so we can't post anything.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/20/2016, 7:51 am

How FUN! Glad y'all had a great time!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/20/2016, 9:02 am

After all this time talking about it, we finally got together! And, I got to meet her Dear Husband. Driving up, the first thing I noticed was her huge green plants and fruits in the long compost and wood chip row. The largest orange winter squashes, some about 30 or 40 pounds, watermelons, sunflowers, walking onions, summer squashes, etc. Digging down she showed me what red wigglers and Mother Nature can accomplish with yards and yards of compost and wood chips on otherwise unusable decomposed granite hill. Their shady oasis under the trees. The 4 x 8 SFG beds (jealous!), SFG beds within the greenhouse for winter produce, and seeding set up. And talk about a seed collection! Audrey took some of my purple cauliflower and broccoli seeds, and some Kiss-me-over-the-garden-gate seeds from my one volunteer this summer. Perfect for her huge spread as they get higher than a fence and 4+ feet wide and attract pollinators. I took walking onions from the garden and several duplicate seed packs from her huge collection. As a special treat, I got to see her beautiful art work!

We discussed how SFG has enabled people to garden where traditional gardens won't work. How everyone comes up with the neatest creations and solutions. (neither of us are gossipers, it was all positive!) As I drove away, I noticed the bag of zucchini on the seat. Funny, I don't remember picking any. Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/20/2016, 10:22 am

I'm so glad you ladies had fun and so jealous that I couldn't be there. 

You must always be on the outlook for sneaky zucchini. They will climb into any unlocked car they can find. Twisted Evil
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/20/2016, 12:02 pm

I wish we were all closer but CA is such a LONG state.  I really needed to see her garden and get recharged.  I just feel like I'm not a good gardener.  She perked me up by pointing out how much I have achieved with the limited conditions in my tiny back yard.  Having to work around the infrastructure in place, costly and monitored water, neighbor's tall trees, grasshoppers, lack of pollinators.  I'm going to move away from Heirloom tomatoes and try hybrids that may do better here.  While I love to hear about what others are growing, if they don't grow here or I can't grow them, there's no need to keep banging my head against the wall.  frustration   Oh, did I mention 2 walking onions made it into the car?  Boy, they sure do travel. Shocked

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 7/20/2016, 3:07 pm

Supercool you guys met up.  Since I too live in what I consider small California yard, whenever stuff suddenly dies off, I always wonder, did I screw up? Was it pest?  Some blight?  Or some herbicide one of my 200 neighbors decided to use for something.  Or the city/county, saw them driving by a couple weeks ago spraying something from the truck on weeds sticking up in the sidewalks.

I cringe every time I walk thru the big box home improvement stores and see almost an entire aisle dedicated to roundup products target to home users.  Most new development in SoCal thinks a 6000 square foot lot is huge.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/20/2016, 8:36 pm

NSR,  That's how I have been feeling.  What did I do wrong.  Now I'm feeling like I'm doing pretty good. Very Happy Well, I did, until I received the lab results. Embarassed

Yep, 6000 sq ft, that's my lot and it's a one story.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/22/2016, 1:29 am

Saw in another thread that you guys are looking forward to fall planting.  It can get so frustrating loosing crops to heat and insects. sobbing  Saw the first batch of red spider mites on the cucumbers!  Shoot, or are they scale? idk  I'll look closer tomorrow.  It looks like this coming heat wave will affect quite a few states.  On the bright side in my little corner, 2 Lilac Bells: California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 Pepper11

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 7/22/2016, 7:15 am

What a gorgeous color........ hmmmmm...... idea for next year!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/22/2016, 8:21 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:What a gorgeous color........  hmmmmm......  idea for next year!
I agree, let us know how they taste.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/22/2016, 8:54 pm

Some updates:  I lost 3 tomato plants but some of the survivors have grown new suckers.  The white buckets are wrapped in aluminum foil which really, really keeps the soil cool in the blazing sun.  California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 Tomato19
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 Tomato18

Pepper bed of 14 plants.  Nice deep green area of the backyard Very Happy California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 Pepper12
From the other side of the bed, with 2 potted peppers showing. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 Pepper13

Tomato sucker trimmings I stuck in the amended ground.  I'm going to heavily amend this fall and plant with bush tomatoes and okra next summer.  That will free up some bed squares for precious plants! California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 Bte_7_12

Left over peppers I planted in amended ground. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 Bte_pe11

Sweet potatoes in totes.  The stems are long but sort of collapsed in the totes.  Next year, a trellis. Wink California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 Sweet_10

Three potted Japanese Millionaire eggplants.  The flowers alone are worth it. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 Eggpla19

The walking onions from Audrey are now in beds and pots. The grasshoppers are fewer. I guess they wanted to make room for the spider mites. Razz

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/23/2016, 10:35 am

Lookin' good, Sanderson. What you do with limited space is amazing. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 3170584802

We got the shade cloth up yesterday, so now all my babies will have protection from the blazing sun. There's nothing we can do about the heat, but I will bring in 3 potted tomato plants in small containers every day when it gets to 95 and take them back out every evening. I need to find a good place for them to get the morning sun so they don't get puny in the house. I am determined to have tomatoes. So far I've reaped 2 tomatoes from 10 mature plants. Evil or Very Mad

My delicata bush squash seeds have sprouted, so they will go outside in the mulch bed to climb around. If they survive our heatwave (could be 111 by Thursday) we should have 2 varieties of squash for Thanksgiving (banana squash already growing in the mulch pile).

Cucumbers doing okay. Everything else just hanging on. The next 8 days are gonna be brutal. Fingers crossed my little garden survives this heatwave. affraid
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/23/2016, 8:23 pm

headed so on 99 from sac to fresno.  hope garden's okay when get get home after 24 hour trip.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 7/23/2016, 10:26 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Lookin' good, Sanderson. What you do with limited space is amazing. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 3170584802
+1 - Considering the heat, pests and space, you have done a fantastic job.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/27/2016, 2:24 pm

My NZ spinach (thank you, Sanderson) doesn't mind our 110 temps. I have 9 cute little "bushes" looking very happy. These are a real mystery to me. I've never seen multiple sprouts from single seeds before. Actually, the seeds did look like they came from another planet. Where did you say you found them, Sanderson?affraid
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 19 Nzspin10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/27/2016, 4:35 pm

Pretty in Green! I bought my own pack from Territorial Seeds. The plant in my garden was from a seed from Audrey.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/27/2016, 5:15 pm

Boy, you guys really have it rough with that heat! And water restrictions. And fires.
Sad
I'm feeling a bit grateful to only have a brown lawn...and 90.

I also have sweet potato envy now thanks to Sanderson. Laughing Beautiful plants! Can't wait to see the finished product.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 7/27/2016, 10:01 pm

Well... home from my 6 day trip to San Diego.  Where it was HOT and muggy.  Not at all normal for July.  High 90s and I was sweaty and wet all the time (eeeewwwww)

My neighbor did a great job with my yard - I'm sure it wore him out as he has to hike over from his property every time he needed to move the water.  Only lost one plant and that had nothing to do with water.

I harvested my big Boston Marrow when I discovered a gopher/critter hole under one of them and what ever it was had been nibbling on a patch of it.  

I'm cleaning out the greenhouse and starting the plants that will be growing in it this winter including planting new tomatoes.  

My first load of wood chip mulch arrived early this morning.  It's really nicely chipped and has a lot of hardwoods in it which will be nice for paths and around trees.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 19 of 41 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 30 ... 41  Next