Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
National Preparedness Month - Page 2 Toplef10National Preparedness Month - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

National Preparedness Month - Page 2 I22gcj10National Preparedness Month - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
National Preparedness Month - Page 2 Toplef10National Preparedness Month - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

National Preparedness Month - Page 2 I22gcj10National Preparedness Month - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

National Preparedness Month

+8
tabletopper
Escaped Lunatic
Kelejan
CapeCoddess
sanderson
kauairosina
Scorpio Rising
AtlantaMarie
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

National Preparedness Month - Page 2 Empty national prepardeness

Post  kauairosina 9/12/2015, 2:22 pm

Aren't we the bunch of old coots!  (I would have said something else except it gets cleaned up).  

Where else would we find such a bunch of living histories in one venue?  

I was six years old and we lived in Hickam Housing, right across from Pear Harbor.  I was outside in the yard that Sunday, December 7, 1941, and khaki planes with orange circles came over our houses.  My memory tells me that I saw a pilot's face (kids, what do we know?).  I ran in the house and said to my parents, who were still in bed, "Daddy, Daddy the war is on!" (I found later that many had talked of this coming attack and that is how a child would have such an idea.)

I did this twice and my father said "It's just maneuvers, but we just got our car and we can go out for a drive and watch".  My father died long before I moved to Hawaii so I do not know where we went, up in the hills somewhere.  Next to us was a house that had been hit and people purportedly dead and below was his beloved battle carrier USS California being hit.  ( I got a lot of A's on papers with this remembered story).  It looked like firecrackers exploding on the surface.

My father hustled us back down the mountain, told us not to look out of the windows going through Honolulu (I learned much later why) and deposited us back home while he got on his uniform and went across the water to Ford Island to report for duty in a little put-put boat.

Some Red Cross type people came by and took us to University of Hawaii where we slept on the gymnasium floor and received loving care.  My mother did not know for four days whether my father was still alive.

We stayed on Oahu throughout the war, not being subjected to the rationing that others had on the mainland so preparedness was not an issue.  My father kept me out of school the first year, being sure we would be attacked again because we were so vulnerable.

I was too stupid to be scared and taken such good care of I didn't know to be scared.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

National Preparedness Month - Page 2 Empty Re: National Preparedness Month

Post  sanderson 9/12/2015, 7:33 pm

Thank you for sharing. Why didn't your father want you to look out the windows as you drove through Honolulu? I think we fogies and fogettes are a heck of a lot more interesting than Snookie or Zombies.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

National Preparedness Month - Page 2 Empty national prepardeness

Post  kauairosina 9/12/2015, 9:29 pm

I read many years later that there were casualties on the streets of Honolulu.  Kind of bloody.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/12/2015, 9:33 pm

Oh, I didn't know it extended into the City. My ignorance.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/12/2015, 9:39 pm

Wow....great survival stories, all. Amazing! I am glad to "know" ya!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/13/2015, 3:22 am

Rosina:

"I was too stupid to be scared and taken such good care of I didn't know to be scared."

Not a question of being stupid, just inexperience.  During WWII I also was too young to be scared.  It is when you are grownup that you know what bad things can happen.
My husband told me the story of when WWII was declared in England. He said that he jumped up full of excitement and his dad knocked him down and said to him, "You have no idea what is going to happen." DH was about 13 at the time and no doubt all his friends thought the same way.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 9/13/2015, 9:15 am

sanderson wrote:Oh, I didn't know it extended into the City.  My ignorance.
I didn't either...  Very interesting...

For those who lived thru it - have you done any recording with the folks trying to get all of the WWII stories on tape?  You really should!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

National Preparedness Month - Page 2 Empty National Preparedness Month

Post  tabletopper 9/13/2015, 3:28 pm

Last night our power was off for several hours,,,,....I had 3 fans running to keep me cool ....at the present time I am bedridden with a cast on my left leg......electric bed......not working,,,,,,but thanks to my Coleman Quad Lantern on the one lamp table I felt more secure......buy one or 2 my family loves these too.....they come apart....each one has 4 sections.....one for each person to guide them thru darkness,,,,,,great for camping besides for emergency......
tabletopper

Female Posts : 235

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 9/13/2015, 3:36 pm

tabletopper wrote:Last night our power was off for several hours,,,,....I had 3 fans running to keep me cool ....at the present time I am bedridden with a cast on my left leg......electric bed......not working,,,,,,but thanks to my Coleman Quad Lantern on the one lamp table I felt more secure......buy one or 2 my family loves these too.....they come apart....each one has 4 sections.....one for each person to guide them thru darkness,,,,,,great for camping besides for emergency......

I must look into that, tabletopper. Winter is on its way.
Hope you can get the cast off your leg soon. Take care of yourself.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/13/2015, 5:04 pm

TT, Hot climate, no electricity. That cast must have been hot and you must have been miserable in the heat. Sad

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  tabletopper 9/13/2015, 9:28 pm

it was 93 degrees in my bedroom.......dont remember San Diego area being this hot.....with the drought I guess things are worse.....
tabletopper

Back to top Go down

Post  tabletopper 9/13/2015, 9:58 pm

spooky.......as I am writing this about the great Coleman lantern a picture of it shows up in a Sears add........$35.71..........be careful ....camping......one of my daughters lanterns disappeared during the night on the picnic table.........
tabletopper

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/18/2015, 1:31 am

Today, hubby and I visited the Clovis Botanical Garden. I thought they had a demo SFG section. Nope, wrong info or bad hearing. As we were leaving, 2 Mormon missionary young ladies engaged us. Long story short, one of the LDS churches is holding a Preparedness Fair this Sat. Should be interesting. Maybe I will finally get off my computer chair (ha, you thought I would say something else) and start teaching. It's been a few years since I did public speaking. hiding

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/9/2019, 10:24 pm

Some of you may have heard on the news that PG&E is cutting power in some areas of Northern CA.  I thought I would share this post from a CA FB page I belong to.  It's a funny take on a serious matter.  The most serious bullet is in italics.

"This is funny but it's really NO JOKE! PG&E is anticipating widespread, strong and dry winds this week. Starting Wednesday, they are considering turning off power for safety to parts of California, including the Bay Area. So here are a few things you can do to help get through a power shutdown:
• If you come home and everything is dark and nothing works, then yes, you are experiencing a power shutdown. Remain calm. Use your cell phone light to search frantically for the one flashlight you think you have in the house. It will be dead of course. Search for batteries. You will need four but only find three.
• Wish you had charged your cell phone. Plug your phone into the charger but then say to yourself, “duh the power is out.”
• Charge up those portable phone chargers tonight. However, keep in mind, should your teen’s phone run out of battery it could be a good thing. Watching them go through Tik-Tok or Instagram withdrawals could be good entertainment. Heck, it could even put them dangerously close to having to read a book by flashlight or doing something creative.
• Please do not call 911 and ask when the power will come back on. Our dispatchers are very good but they cannot see into the future. They will tell you they do not know and then disconnect so they can answer the other hundred calls from people asking about the power being out.
• Keep your freezer and refrigerator doors closed to keep food from spoiling. If you have teenagers this may be difficult so speak loudly but slowly to them so they understand. You may need to hang a sign on the doors as well. Use big letters.
• Use food supplies that do not require refrigeration. We think potato chips, Twinkies, Oreos, and peanut butter might be a good start! Okay, maybe throw an apple or an avocado in there, too.
• You will need a plan to keep medicines refrigerated or power-dependent medical devices working.
• PG&E suggests you turn off or disconnect appliances, equipment or electronics. Power may return with momentary “surges” or “spikes” that may cause damage.
• DO NOT use generators, camp stoves, or charcoal grills indoors. Carbon monoxide fumes can be deadly. Moreover, never use a gas stove top or oven to heat your home. Do what your mom used to tell you to do: Put on a sweater.
• Check on your neighbors. Even the one whose dog barks all night. And the other one who always parks in front of your house."

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/28/2020, 5:25 am

I removed the post regarding the corona-virus at this time. There is no way to know how this current strain of corona-virus will act. Will it slow down with summer approaching and resume in the fall? Will it become epidemic in short time?

In the event of ANY epidemic, it is good to be able to stay away from crowds whenever possible, and if exposed, to be able to home-quarantine for 2 weeks if required by the health department. Home quarantine would be preferable to many folks verses a designated site. If home quarantine becomes necessary, is there enough food and medicine and other necessities for 2 weeks? Pet food and supplies? Is there someone to contact to leave necessities on the front porch?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/faq.html

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/3/2020, 12:21 pm

sanderson, I think I am pretty well prepared as I have a good stock of canned and frozen food, also some dried.  for some years now I have been a bit of a prepper as it is just good sense. 

but I always run out of fresh milk but I do have dried in stock.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

National Preparedness Month - Page 2 Empty Toilet Paper Crisis!

Post  countrynaturals 3/7/2020, 6:04 pm

This @$^*! corona-virus has folks around here "Panic Shopping." Walmart and Costco are both out of toilet paper. Paper towels, disinfectant wipes and Comet cleanser are also absent from the shelves. Who knows what else might be missing.

There isn't a single case in our county or any neighboring counties, but we seem to be in crisis mode anyway. get that pesky wabbi

Costco has also stopped giving out food samples. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/7/2020, 6:41 pm

Yes, there's every indication to be cautious.  No, don't panic, at least not just yet.

It's wise to stock up on paper and hygiene products, water, food, medications, etc., just in case of any disruption in the supply chain.  I've gradually been doing so for a few years now.  Waiting until an assumed emergency puts pressure upon supply and demand.  

I've long said that any news that's exceptionally sensational or likely to cause panic is unlikely to be true.

It remains to be seen just how widespread and/or lethal this particular virus will be.  Don't panic, but be prepared.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/7/2020, 6:51 pm

Living in Central Oregon, and allowing that a few shelves recently have temporarily been empty, I've still been able to obtain Kleenex, paper towels, toilet paper, Clorox wipes, and food items that I normally would purchase.  

I also have some wide-spectrum disinfectants from Fuller Brush and Amway.  

Wash your hands frequently, as directed by the CDC, avoid crowds, and cover your mouth when sneezing or coughing, preferably in your elbow.  Dispose of used Kleenex, etc. as soon as possible.  Maintain 6-7' distance from anyone coughing, sneezing, etc.  If you have a fever, cough, difficulty breathing, etc. get tested and voluntarily quarantine yourself.    

Have generally reasonable supplies, follow CDC guidelines, and  hope for the best.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/8/2020, 4:51 am

CN, you have me curious enough to almost go to the store myself instead of hubby. Almost. Very Happy I can't imagine stores out of toilet paper, paper towels, soap and disinfectants!! Shocked I try to keep 4 doz rolls of TP, a half dozen paper towel rolls and an unopened container of every cleaning product in stock. Walmart and Costco out of necessities. Unbelievable!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/8/2020, 8:18 am

Oh, yeah, Sanderson.... Actually NEEDED tp & the only thing available at one Sam's was either the really cheap, horrible stuff or a small amount of the expensive. The regular stuff was out. Thankfully another Sam's had just gotten a load of our regular stuff on the floor yesterday. Both are OUT of alcohol, wipes, etc.

Mike was able to find hand sanitizer at Wally-world, but stocks were low.

Donna is absolutely correct in her advice.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/8/2020, 9:58 am

I did purchase a variety of fresh vegetables and with the addition of some preserved in my freezer I made a large batch of a basic soup and placed them in mason jars in the fridge.  I can add extras to have variety.

I made sure I used every scrap of food so as not to waste it. 

We have snow again this morning so I did my shopping in time.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/8/2020, 1:00 pm

I began modestly stocking up several years ago--just in case of a supply chain disruption in the event of a quake on the Cascadia fault, major snowstorm, or other disaster.

I'm pretty well covered for 1-3 months on paper goods, have a first-aid kit, an extra box of band-aids, and extra food.  The latter includes a case of Barilla Plus dry spaghetti, which has 17 g of protein per serving;  14 cans of hearty soup; about 10 cans of black beans, as well as about half that many each of canned tomatoes, beets, corn, and artichoke hearts; a couple of pounds of rice; oatmeal and whole-wheat cereal; about six servings of canned fish; six large cans of chicken; etc.  There are around 15 gallons of water on hand.  

My freezers contain about 8 quarts of berries. some frozen peach slices, peas, beans, tomatillos, and corn, as well as about an extra week's supply of protein.  Note to self:  add more of the latter, and hope that the power doesn't go out.  

I know my food supplies need some shoring up, of course, not to mention cat food and litter.  I have a fair supply of batteries.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 3/8/2020, 2:36 pm

I'm moderately concerned about COVID-19, but maybe a bit more concerned about the effects of panic. No cases have reached us here in Kansas (... yet), but we're already seeing the effects of panic buying in our local stores.

I'm not really a prepper, but I have adopted some of their practices that I thought were sensible. I started long ago, building up a stash of food that could keep at room temperature, water, and other necessities, so we can easily handle having to leave home, or not be able to go out, for a couple of weeks.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 3/8/2020, 2:54 pm

Kate,

We're on the same page.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor