Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno Toplef10Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno I22gcj10Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno Toplef10Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno I22gcj10Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 10:38 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno

2 posters

Go down

Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno Empty Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno

Post  sfg4uKim 8/31/2015, 5:09 pm

One of my dogs has recently discovered that he can jump the fence into the neighbor's yard. He's also discovered that he can hop onto my Garden Commander (the protective wire structure on my SFG) and spring into the other neighbor's yard. Plus my husband has decided that the nice flat area I've been using for my Back to Eden garden would be perfect for a patio.

SOOOOOOO I've decided that I'll carve out a 20' x 30' area in the corner of our lot (where hubby wouldn't want a patio), fence it in (to keep the dogs out) and dedicate that as a demonstration bed for my clients/students. It will truly show them what is possible in a very small space. 

Have you had to do a major renovation and move your garden beds? Please share any ideas or advice.

Below is a photo of my back yard as it is now - Back to Eden garden, small hugelkultur, squash arch and way in the back is my 2' x 23' SFG (along the chain link fence). The new garden will be in the back corner where the SFG is.

Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno My_gar12

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno Empty Re: Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno

Post  sanderson 8/31/2015, 8:34 pm

sfg4uKim wrote:Have you had to do a major renovation and move your garden beds? Please share any ideas or advice.
Ibuprofen and ice packs. Wink We raised all the beds and it meant removing the Mix. Plastic tarp: Shovel as much as you can, then lift and tip to dump the rest on the tarp. The great thing about being forced to move the beds is that you have a chance to examine the beds, elevate them if you chose, set up auto drips if you want. Set up a sitting area or work station or class area for a handful. Cattle panel arbor and other things you have seen on this Forum or other sites. The only thing I would not do is put a bed against a fence, even a 2' bed. It's hard on my back to reach across for tending and removing spent vines, etc. Also, no matter how careful I am, something spills or falls over the other side. Leave at least a 2' path. I am so excited for you. 20'x 30' is a wonderful size to work with.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno Empty Re: Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno

Post  sfg4uKim 8/31/2015, 9:50 pm

Thanks Sigrid:

I will DEFINITELY take the Ibuprofen & ice pack advice to heart.

I already have plans to add a small deck with a couple of Adirondack chairs on it to give me a "platform" while I'm teaching and a nice place to sit. I think I'll also erect a mail box on a post for my SFG tools.

I'm trying to figure out what material to use for the walkway. Something inexpensive but will keep my students' feet clean. I don't want pavers unless they abut one another since they can be a tripping hazard for some of my older students.

My beds have always been against the fence so that's not a huge deal to me. We're actually using cattle panels to make the existing chain link fence higher so the dog can't jump it and it will double as my vertical supports. I will also recreate one section of my squash arch (the one in the picture shows 3 arches).

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Mid-Atl - Sep 2015 - Major Garden Reno WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/1/2015, 12:44 am

sfg4uKim wrote: I think I'll also erect a mail box on a post for my SFG tools.
 I forgot to list the mainboxes!

I'm trying to figure out what material to use for the walkway. Something inexpensive but will keep my students' feet clean. I don't want pavers unless they abut one another since they can be a tripping hazard for some of my older students.
I really like weed fabric and plain wood chips.  After watering a few times, they settle down and make for fairly easy walking.  At least if some one falls, they will only bounce.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down