Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

[/td][/tr][/table]
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Garden Layout Software
by Dan in Ct Today at 7:59 am

» First season SFG results / lessons learned
by sanderson Today at 1:44 am

» Fourth Year SFG in Canada
by sanderson Today at 1:42 am

» CANADIAN REGION:What are you doing October - December 2018
by sanderson Today at 1:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:01 pm

» Tips for compost tumbler
by trolleydriver Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Calcium and Magnesium Deficiency
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:11 pm

» New England December, 2018
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:55 am

» Greetings from Renton, Washington Go Huskies!
by sanderson 12/9/2018, 2:32 pm

» Hello All!
by sanderson 12/9/2018, 2:31 pm

» Caring for Your Tools
by sanderson 12/9/2018, 1:34 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson 12/9/2018, 3:01 am

» Error Message!
by countrynaturals 12/8/2018, 1:14 pm

» Any Strange and Wonderful Visitors? Photos please!
by AtlantaMarie 12/8/2018, 11:37 am

» For the Dallas-Ft. Worth Texas area
by OhioGardener 12/7/2018, 7:10 pm

» Butterfly Junction
by countrynaturals 12/6/2018, 9:26 am

» N&C Midwest: November/December 2018
by Scorpio Rising 12/6/2018, 6:44 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by trolleydriver 12/5/2018, 5:52 pm

» How to lay out 44"x44" boxes
by sanderson 12/5/2018, 4:31 pm

» Doing a soil analysis report on compost
by Dan in Ct 12/5/2018, 2:53 pm

» Yacon Pie
by Yardslave 12/5/2018, 12:36 pm

» December Avatar: 'Tis The Season!
by sanderson 12/4/2018, 3:54 pm

» cold frame gardening question
by sanderson 12/4/2018, 3:54 pm

» 1st Seed Catalog Arrived :)
by sanderson 12/4/2018, 12:10 am

» ANCESTRY DNA
by Kelejan 12/3/2018, 5:38 pm

» Sanderson's Urban SFG in Fresno, California
by sanderson 12/3/2018, 3:39 pm

» Sorry I haven't been around
by countrynaturals 12/3/2018, 3:06 pm

» Home Made Christmas Gifts
by Kelejan 12/3/2018, 10:52 am

» Moringa tree
by OhioGardener 12/3/2018, 10:27 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by has55 12/3/2018, 2:50 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Compost Tea Recipe

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Re: Compost Tea Recipe

Post  OhioGardener on 9/4/2018, 9:57 am

@has55 wrote:OG, have you notice any other reduction in specific insect pest or disease besides powdery mildew since you started applying compost tea? 
How long have you been applying compost tea?
I did not put down any compost tea or compost this year and noticed a significant attack of disease on my cucumbers and watermelons. They were wipe out. I was able to save the peppers with actinovate organic fungicide. Last year I had a great abundance of food. I'm starting the compost tea prep for the fall and winter garden hopefully later on this week. Too many projects, here and on the new business adventure in staffing healthcare.

I have been using compost since the 70's, but have only been using compost tea for about 3 years. This year is the first time I have used foliar spray, having only used soil drenching up until recently. We were gone for month-long road trip mid-summer to see our first grandbaby, and when we returned home in mid-July the gardens were a mess. Lots of damage to plants from flea beetles, cucumber beetles, and cabbage worms.  I remembered some videos I had watched on growing your greens youtube about compost tea and decided to research it. At that time I just had a 5 gallon bucket with an air stone for a tea brewer, but I made batch of tea and did a foliar spray with it. A week later I repeated the process, and I noticed a dramatic decrease in the number of flea beetles and squash powdery mildew. Most of the cucumbers were pretty much destroyed when we got home, and I had already removed the plants.

I have since built a new and more effective 15 gallon tea brewer, and have continued the foliar spray every two weeks. The growth and production of the vegetables since then has been amazing.  I am making the compost tea with worm castings, molasses, kelp, and fish fertilizer. I decided to use worm castings rather than my own compost to make the tea so that it might add different microbes than I already have.
OhioGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 9/11/2018, 10:24 am

put the items together yesterday. Will put tea on the beds today.

the empty holes where worm bucket was located

vermicomposting bucket out of ground waiting to be harvested

worm poop in bucket 

water in composting tea can 

harvesting worm poop 

composting tea bubbling

taking the vermicompost bucket back to the holes using handle 

compost tea setup. The brewing is on.

has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener on 9/11/2018, 11:10 am

Looking good, Has55!   I noticed you have the air pump sitting on the ground - I put mine up higher than the brewer so there is no chance of the water running backwards in the tube and into the pump in case the electric power goes off, is that a concern?

I have another batch brewing, and about ready to go into the gardens.

OhioGardener

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality on 9/11/2018, 2:37 pm

Has55, is that the 2 gal Lowe's bucket or a 5 gallon, looks short, so assuming the 2G.  

Did you screen in the holes or just leave the big holes open for easy critter access?  Or basically is it just a 2G pail with a bunch of 2 inch holes drilled in it, stuffed in the ground and covered with a 10 inch irrigation cover?

I need to migrate to these as every summer I have huge die offs in my vermicompost towers during the heat waves.

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 628

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 9/11/2018, 6:56 pm

@No_Such_Reality wrote:Has55, is that the 2 gal Lowe's bucket or a 5 gallon, looks short, so assuming the 2G.  -YES

Did you screen in the holes or just leave the big holes open for easy critter access? HOLES ARE OPEN.
Or basically is it just a 2G pail with a bunch of 2 inch holes drilled in it, stuffed in the ground and covered with a 10 inch irrigation cover? YES, YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD. This way they can get away in the summer or winter. Easy in or easy out.
they are working quite well in all the beds.  you can easily see the contents and put your hand in to harvest.
I love the ones in the waist high beds because I don't have to bend over to feed them. easy for transport too. I fill the containers to the top, the worms are able to handle it. 
has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson on 9/12/2018, 4:48 am

@OhioGardener wrote:Looking good, Has55!   I noticed you have the air pump sitting on the ground - I put mine up higher than the brewer so there is no chance of the water running backwards in the tube and into the pump in case the electric power goes off, is that a concern?]
My husband told me to to make sure that I set the air pump higher than the bucket to prevent tea from being siphoned back into the pump. Just a precaution.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 17145

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver on 9/12/2018, 10:14 am

@sanderson wrote:
@OhioGardener wrote:Looking good, Has55!   I noticed you have the air pump sitting on the ground - I put mine up higher than the brewer so there is no chance of the water running backwards in the tube and into the pump in case the electric power goes off, is that a concern?]
My husband told me to to make sure that I set the air pump higher than the bucket to prevent tea from being siphoned back into the pump. Just a precaution.
I expect the reason for keeping the pump higher is to prevent siphoning of the compost tea out of the bucket if the pump stops working.

Ottawa, Canada
Find more about Weather in Ottawa, CA
Click for weather forecast
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4743

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 on 9/17/2018, 3:42 am

@trolleydriver wrote:
@sanderson wrote:
I expect the reason for keeping the pump higher is to prevent siphoning of the compost tea out of the bucket if the pump stops working.

make sense to me.
has55

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum