Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Second year of square foot gardening Toplef10Second year of square foot gardening 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Second year of square foot gardening I22gcj10Second year of square foot gardening 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Second year of square foot gardening Toplef10Second year of square foot gardening 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Second year of square foot gardening I22gcj10Second year of square foot gardening 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Second year of square foot gardening

3 posters

Go down

Second year of square foot gardening Empty Second year of square foot gardening

Post  lowraine 3/9/2015, 2:34 pm

I feel that I am still very new to SFG so as spring starts to make its arrival I feel the need to get out and prepare my boxes.  I have a 4 foot by 20 foot section plus one 5 foot by 10 foot section.  I started last year with Miracle Grow potting mix, added peat moss and cow manure.  What should I add to the soil this year and what is the benefit of adding Epson salts to the mix?
lowraine
lowraine

Back to top Go down

Second year of square foot gardening Empty Re: Second year of square foot gardening

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/9/2015, 8:15 pm

Hi Lowraine!  Welcome from Atlanta, GA.  Glad you've joined us.

If you can find some other types of compost - worm castings, chicken/rabbit/llama poo, that'd be great.

I don't know enough about Epsom salts to give you an answer... Sorry...  But I'm sure one of the others will chime in soon.

Have fun!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Second year of square foot gardening Empty Re: Second year of square foot gardening

Post  sanderson 3/10/2015, 1:50 am

Hi Lowraine, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here The recipe for Mel's Mix for Square Foot Gardening is 1/3 vermiculite, 1/3 fluffed peat moss and 1/3 compost. The compost should be from 5 different sources. I don't know how high the beds are. Is there enough room to add some vermiculite after you add 5 different composts to bring the mix back up to the height it was last year? I would not add any more Miracle grow or other bagged compost with peat moss and small pieces of wood. You already have peat moss in the beds and you don't have to replenish it. Even the peat moss-free Kellogg's blue striped bag has a lot a small pieces of wood. Try to find as many types of compost as you can, including one composted barnyard manure. Mushroom compost, composted manure, worm castings, Ecoscraps (composted veggies and wood), lobster compost, a bit of kelp meal, etc. Maybe someone in your Region, who is familiar with the local products, can help here. How did the Miracle grow work? Did you have to fertilize during the growing season? If you use quality and varied compost you will not have to fertilize.

Epson salts (magnesium sulfate) are only needed when there is evidence of a shortage of Magnesium. If you use different sources of compost there shouldn't be a shortage.

If you haven't already, I would recommend reading All New Square Foot Gardening, 1st or 2nd Edition, by Mel Bartholomew.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  lowraine 3/11/2015, 7:59 pm

The Miracle Grow potting mix worked great.  I had a great garden last year.  I have cow manure that comes from Lowes, I used it in the beds last year so I thought that would be a good for this year.  I didn't plan to add additional peat moss but it was good to learn that I should never need to add more.  I only have what is available to lowes so I guess it is time to look again.   thanks guys
lowraine
lowraine

Back to top Go down

Post  lowraine 3/11/2015, 8:01 pm

I didn't had anything last year after first setting it up.  Miracle Grow potting mix is very good.  If I wanted to make the beds deeper I wouldn't hesitate to add a few extra bags.
lowraine
lowraine

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/11/2015, 10:03 pm

My best guess is that the MG worked because you added composted cow manure. This ensured that there was enough nitrogen while the small wood pieces decomposed. Since you liked the cow manure, you could add some more of that, plus any compost that is peat-free. Ecoscraps compost (veggie based) is another peat-free compost. I buy it at Home Depot. I don't know what area of N. Carolina you live, but I checked Craig's List - Charlotteville, and found well aged leaf compost, horse manure compost and worm castings. The more variety of composts added, the more varied the nutrients. Worm castings should be used lighter than other composts.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  lowraine 3/12/2015, 10:40 am

2015-03-12Yes I do like the cow manure and know that I can find it again.  But I will look at some of the local nurseries and see if I can find anything different.  I am so excited to get back in the garden.  My son and I plan to erect conduit and wire in various places for the plants to climb up.  I plan to plant my spring crop the first of April.
lowraine
lowraine

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down