Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Swiss chard seeds in the ground today:  PIC! - Page 2 Toplef10Swiss chard seeds in the ground today:  PIC! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Swiss chard seeds in the ground today:  PIC! - Page 2 I22gcj10Swiss chard seeds in the ground today:  PIC! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Swiss chard seeds in the ground today:  PIC! - Page 2 Toplef10Swiss chard seeds in the ground today:  PIC! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Swiss chard seeds in the ground today:  PIC! - Page 2 I22gcj10Swiss chard seeds in the ground today:  PIC! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Swiss chard seeds in the ground today: PIC!

+15
quiltbea
bpbdrummer
Mirjam
gettip
jerzyjen
plb
Jeff Buffington
boffer
bullfrogbabe
Lavender Debs
SirTravers
mckr3441
Retired Member 1
choksaw
happyfrog
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Swiss chard seeds in the ground today:  PIC! - Page 2 Empty Re: Swiss chard seeds in the ground today: PIC!

Post  LaFee 3/23/2010, 2:36 am

Ooh, fresh spinach -- I'll devour it in salads or sauteed.

Best spinach I've ever had was at Maggiano's in Chicago -- they flash-sauteed it in some extra-virgin olive oil and a couple of cloves of fresh garlic. Not cooked enough to wilt, but just warm through with the garlic. There were 8 of us at the table, and we actually fought over the spinach, and left a piece of the salmon that was sitting on it laying on the platter. The salmon was good, too, but wow, the spinach. Whodathunkit?
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Swiss chard seeds in the ground today:  PIC! - Page 2 Empty Re: Swiss chard seeds in the ground today: PIC!

Post  gettip 3/24/2010, 11:18 am

It appears that one of the two squares of swiss chard I planted last year and that were buried under 18" of snow for about 4 weeks has made it through, I will do more to protect through next winter.. Look forward to harvesting soon. For the fall I will start a second square.
gettip
gettip

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 3/25/2010, 7:54 pm

Swiss chard is actually very versatile. I was reading about it on the National Gardening Assoc. site and the
article said it's basically it's a bulb-less beet. All the nourishment
goes to the top. I am looking forward to having it in my SFG this year! Check these recipes out for just the stems...make my mouth water just looking at that picture!

http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/02/baked-swiss-chard-stems-recipe-with.html

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/25/2010, 8:04 pm

Thanks for the recipe. Since no one in my family has ever eaten chard before and I'm planning to grow it, I need a couple of recipes to try.
Thanks again.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/25/2010, 8:19 pm

pattipan wrote:..snip....it's basically it's a bulb-less beet. ...

Wait, beets make you burp?

Edit, edit, edit ....I guess that once I proof-read, I realize that burping in not what happens when beets are eaten.

Deborah ....trying to keyboard after taking a pain pill after planting strawberries yesterday

Last edited by Lavender Debs on 3/25/2010, 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Reading disorder (that is the way I hear too))
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/25/2010, 8:25 pm

Mirjam wrote:"boerenkool stamppot", Swiss chard seeds in the ground today:  PIC! - Page 2 Icon_biggrin Swiss chard seeds in the ground today:  PIC! - Page 2 Sp

If you can get some rookworst, you should really try it... although it's best eaten when it's really cold outside (after having been ice skating all afternoon or so), so better postpone it till next winter... for now I'd like some higher temperatures!
Swiss chard seeds in the ground today:  PIC! - Page 2 Icon_smile

YUM!
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  trustingHim 4/16/2010, 10:50 am

How exactly do you thin swiss chard seedlings? Since the seed pods actually contain several individual seeds, do you thin them all down to one? I've tried to look it up, but I'm still not completely sure...
I'd sure appreciate some advice. Mine have gone crazy and I want my chard to grow well.
Thanks! Swiss chard seeds in the ground today:  PIC! - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
trustingHim
trustingHim

Back to top Go down

Swiss chard seeds in the ground today:  PIC! - Page 2 Empty I've got mine in the garden

Post  quiltbea 4/16/2010, 12:55 pm

I know it's early in the season here in Maine, zone 5a, but I had to get a few things in this week. At nite I cover them with heavy row cover that protects down to 28 degrees so I'm within the numbers with eves being in the low to mid 30s. The days are from 40s to 60s so they are getting some warmth as well.
Swiss chard seeds in the ground today:  PIC! - Page 2 04-12-15
Here's mine in two squares. The larger one I bought at the local Lowe's this week, the smaller ones are Bright Lights chard I started myself indodors.
I hope to get some sidedishes here for my family.
I understand if you are going to cut the whole plant out about an inch from the soil, it needs less space and will regrow.
If you are going to harvest by taking the outer leaves when they are around 4-5" big, then you need to put them in a square by themselves because they take more room.
I'll try both ways to see what works best for us.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum