Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cabin fever and holding your nerves Toplef10Cabin fever and holding your nerves 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cabin fever and holding your nerves I22gcj10Cabin fever and holding your nerves 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cabin fever and holding your nerves Toplef10Cabin fever and holding your nerves 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cabin fever and holding your nerves I22gcj10Cabin fever and holding your nerves 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cabin fever and holding your nerves

+5
sanderson
littlesapphire
Kelejan
AtlantaMarie
plantoid
9 posters

Go down

Cabin fever and holding your nerves Empty Cabin fever and holding your nerves

Post  plantoid 2/25/2015, 7:20 am

The title kind of sums it up doesn't it .
 Who amongst us  is just dying to get as many seeds sown as they can because it's getting lighter each day by about 2.5 minutes  ..a sure sign that spring is a few weeks away even if some of you still have six foot (1.78 mtrs ) of snow on the back yard ?

Some are lucky living in the warmer clime but I guess most of us have seen their daffodils poke their green arms out the ground by now , Most of  crocus are now in bloom along with some overwintering pansies, so are also flowering  snowdrops in some of grass verges of the village .

So as not to go " Stir Stupid "  and sow far too early ,tomorrow I'm going to draw up /fill in my seed sowing charts for the year , carefully & faithfully putting in the sow , pot up and harvest periods for each seed type & variety . That should keep me busy for a day or so then I'll clear out the glasshouse & give it a disinfectant & detergent washout to knock down any bugs, fungi or moulds etc.  in readiness for the new season , that will take me a couple more days 
 Then I'll have a marathon session of washing and sterilizing the grow tubes and foam plugs for a few days .   Very Happy Unless of course Alison says I can use our  brand new , less than a week old top of the range dishwasher. Laughing

Finally I'l spend a day or so washing the old seed labels all 600 of them ( " Dishwasher again DARLING ? "  Laughing )  Once dry I'll  then a gentle rub with WD40 & a soft cloth  to remove any pencil marks of writing that remains. Then I'll start assembling the grow tube & filling them as needed ready for sowing according to my planners. I guess I have nearly 400 of my  open ended pots these days .... might have to go garden shopping to buy some more 7 x 14 x 2 "  ( 175 x 350 x 50 mm )  deep gravel heavy duty seed  trays to contain them upright .

It sounds a lot to do but in reality it isn't , planning it out helps get it done and done in the right order. I have to plan to do a couple of hours over a several hour period each day like this so I can allow for days when disability flareup's restrict or prevent me from doing anything.

Thankfully I learnt all this planning & thinking things through long before the idea of gardening as a disabled person overwhelmed me , for it also applied to me when I was younger ,  fit , handsome and modest Wink
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Cabin fever and holding your nerves Empty Re: Cabin fever and holding your nerves

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/25/2015, 9:35 am

plantoid wrote:
 Then I'll have a marathon session of washing and sterilizing the grow tubes and foam plugs for a few days .   Very Happy Unless of course Alison says I can use our  brand new , less than a week old top of the range dishwasher. Laughing

Finally I'l spend a day or so washing the old seed labels all 600 of them ( " Dishwasher again DARLING ? "  Laughing

Good luck with THAT one!  Laughing
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Cabin fever and holding your nerves Empty Re: Cabin fever and holding your nerves

Post  Kelejan 2/25/2015, 10:49 am

Plantoid, wonderful lesson to all of us who garden in a rather haphazard way.
In the past I have inclined to procrastinate about getting things ready, but this year, due to the snow melting and not being repolaced I have been able to work outside in the garden.  Only for an hour or  so as it is still only just above freezing and the ground is still frozen.  But I have been able to do a lot of clearing up so it is worth it.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 2/25/2015, 1:39 pm

The planning part is always the most fun part for me, but then maybe I'm crazy.  So I think you have the right idea!  Keep yourself busy with the excitement of planning the new garden to keep your mind off of the weather outside.  I'm a week away from my first seed planting (YAY!), and I just started cleaning out my planting pots and getting everything ready for the big day.  I don't plan on over planting, but I can already tell it's going to happen.  I was only intending to clean enough pots to plant the seeds I need to plant next week, but I found  myself instead cleaning them all, "just in case I decide to plant something else", lol!  So I may end up with more than just onions, peppers and catnip planted.  In the back of my head, I can see visions trays and trays of coleuses and petunias too.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/25/2015, 2:02 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:
plantoid wrote:

Finally I'l spend a day or so washing the old seed labels all 600 of them ( " Dishwasher again DARLING ? "  Laughing

+1

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/27/2015, 3:04 pm

sanderson wrote:
AtlantaMarie wrote:
plantoid wrote:

+1
Washing soil, probably not, but sterilizing, I would let you.  After all, I do it.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/28/2015, 2:24 pm

Hmmmmm...I was only planning on tomatoes, beans, onions, carrots, and peppers. However, I always seem to find something else that grabs my attention (ooohh, shiny!) and again I have added to my list. My caveat to the plans is that I will out of state for work training during my normal indoor seedling care, leaving the burden to Hubby. Since he is NOT a fan of my garden, I am torn between starting the seeds and leaving them in his care or waiting until I get back and starting them either indoors late or actually in-ground risking my crops with my short growing season.

Dilemma...
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 3/1/2015, 6:38 pm

I've got all my seeds  sorted today .... all 68  air tight small clear plastic containers of them , tomorrow I hope to edit & update the eXcel spread sheets.

Initially I had 125 labeled up air tight containers . I found I still had seeds that the Seed Houses say should have been binned back in 2011..
My seed viability lists are magic & even then I've stretched a  quite a few of the viability lists  suggested storage times .

I ended up disposing of about 50%  of viability checked seeds and also cleaned out a couple of dozen empty tubes that still had the labels on the inside.

Buying most of my seeds as end of year ,just before Christmas disposals means I often get them for pennies . however some that I got in November last year were not such a bargain apparently , for three packets of carrots were stamped " Use by 2013 ".
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/2/2015, 1:51 pm

Goosegirl wrote:However, I always seem to find something else that grabs my attention (ooohh, shiny!)
 We call it "Oh, squirrel!" as in a dog or cat getting distracted. rofl

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/3/2015, 9:21 am

sanderson wrote:
Goosegirl wrote:However, I always seem to find something else that grabs my attention (ooohh, shiny!)
 We call it "Oh, squirrel!" as in a dog or cat getting distracted. rofl

Or as my ex-husband used to say when he wanted to steal something off my plate "Is that a rabbit over there?"! rofl
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/3/2015, 12:22 pm

rofl

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 3/4/2015, 10:05 pm

Have you tried using a pretty pink fat eraser to erase the pencil marks on your labels? That is what I do. It worked also when the kids were little and wrote with a pencil on the walls. I would use WD-40 for crayon marks and then something soapy to get the oily stuff off the walls.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/5/2015, 2:59 am

If the eraser doesn't work, I have read about using fine sandpaper.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/5/2015, 11:40 am

Goosegirl wrote: My caveat to the plans is that I will out of state for work training during my normal indoor seedling care, leaving the burden to Hubby.  Since he is NOT a fan of my garden, I am torn between starting the seeds and leaving them in his care or waiting until I get back and starting them either indoors late or actually in-ground risking my crops with my short growing season.

Dilemma...
Do both, that way you have back up.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/5/2015, 11:45 am

littlesapphire wrote:I'm a week away from my first seed planting (YAY!), and I just started cleaning out my planting pots and getting everything ready for the big day.  I don't plan on over planting, but I can already tell it's going to happen. 
I know what you mean!  Why do we do that??? thinking

Plantoid, when it's time to throw out old seeds I can't help but toss the seeds in an out of the way corner of the yard... just in case.   Then I completely forget to check back to see if any have sprouted.
Rolling Eyes
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/5/2015, 8:23 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
Goosegirl wrote: My caveat to the plans is that I will out of state for work training during my normal indoor seedling care, leaving the burden to Hubby.  Since he is NOT a fan of my garden, I am torn between starting the seeds and leaving them in his care or waiting until I get back and starting them either indoors late or actually in-ground risking my crops with my short growing season.

Dilemma...
Do both, that way you have back up.

Great Idea! thanks thanks thanks
And since just last night he was complaining about how many seeds I have, and that NO ONE needs that many seeds (and my stash fits into one little 4"x12" tray), I apparently have plenty to do both!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down