Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 2 Toplef10What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 2 I22gcj10What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 2 Toplef10What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 2 I22gcj10What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What varieties are you excited about trying this year?

+18
llama momma
Scorpio Rising
Turan
johnp
camprn
dstack
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Rolling Stone
slimbolen99
CapeCoddess
AtlantaMarie
floyd1440
sanderson
kamigh
mschaef
has55
yolos
Windmere
22 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 2 Empty Re: What varieties are you excited about trying this year?

Post  has55 1/13/2015, 12:01 am

Rolling Stone wrote:HAA55 -

If it successfully resists the SVB, I do not care what it looks like. I just want to enjoy homegrown cucumbers again."

Karl
Amen to that. Smile
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 2 Empty Re: What varieties are you excited about trying this year?

Post  has55 1/13/2015, 12:04 am

kamigh wrote:Has55, soil blocks are a way to start seeds in compressed blocks. Here's a link to the block maker. I got mine in a kit on amazon, but this website has a ton of great videos that explain it well. 
http://www.pottingblocks.com/micro_20_soil_blocker/
I grew the Buttercrunch lettuce and spaghetti squash last year and had a lot of success, so I'm hoping to continue that success this year.
I'm also trying (again) an Iraqui eggplant (Aswad) from Baker Creek. I bought the seeds last year but didn't have good luck. I'm going give it another try since I have the blocks this year and will have more room to plant more seeds and hope for better germination.
thank you
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/13/2015, 12:05 am

yolos wrote:
has55 wrote:Kamigh, What is a seed blocks? any pictures? Have tried any of the "other stuff" seeds/plants before? I know spaghetti squash does well here.

Here are a few threads on this forum about Soil Block makers. 

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t17347-soil-block-makers?highlight=soil+block

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t11223-soil-blocks-tutorial-in-photos?highlight=soil+block
thank you
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/13/2015, 10:10 am

Rolling Stone wrote:We have a huge problem in our (community) gardens with the SVB destroying every squash and cucumber that has been started in the last two years, including all my zukes and cukes.
I have found the Poona Keera cucumber and the Tromboncini squash to have a solid stem which the SVB cannot penetrate.
So, I am really happy to be ordering these seeds for the coming season. And looking forward to harvest time.
Karl

I need this! Thanks for posting, Karl. Did the description happen to mention if they were PM resistant, too?

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 1/13/2015, 11:13 am

yolos wrote:Hmm - have never had SVB hit the cucumbers, only the pickleworm.
I also only had pickleworms Yolos.  Perhaps this is specific to our area?
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 1/13/2015, 11:23 am

Rolling Stone wrote:We have a huge problem in our (community) gardens with the SVB destroying every squash and cucumber that has been started in the last two years, including all my zukes and cukes.
I have found the Poona Keera cucumber and the Tromboncini squash to have a solid stem which the SVB cannot penetrate.
So, I am really happy to be ordering these seeds for the coming season. And looking forward to harvest time.
Karl
Karl, thank you for this tip.  I just read an experience of a gardner whose Trombonci grew 60 feet!  Wowee!
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 1/13/2015, 1:00 pm

I just planted some "Egyptian Walking Onions" in my newest SFG bed and have some more to plant, perhaps in the landscape as they're good for that purpose as well.  

You can eat them as green onions all year around and they form a small size bulb with strong but not overpowering taste.  Can't wait to give them a try.

They are self perpetuating and produce bulbils on the top of their stem.  Once they are finished it will often fall over to the ground and the bulbils will take root, hence the "walking" part Very Happy
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rolling Stone 1/13/2015, 9:05 pm

CC -

Sorry, no mention of PM resistance.

Karl
Rolling Stone
Rolling Stone

Male Posts : 17

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/14/2015, 4:06 pm

Rolling Stone wrote:CC -

Karl
:-(
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 2 Empty I'm very excited to try growing...

Post  dstack 1/16/2015, 11:48 am

I'm glad to see this thread, because I'm trying so many new things that I'm excited about!  I'll break this down into three categories:

1)  LEAFY GREENS THAT CAN GROW IN THE TROPICAL SOUTH IN THE SUMMER -- I've been researching this because I make my daily green smoothies and had to buy most of my greens this past summer.  So I'm excited to try these:

• New Zealand Spinach - newly planted and growing well!

• Malabar Spinach - seedlings have sprouted but not warm enough for much growth yet

• Longevity Spinach - ordered from Baker Creek Heirlooms, and this is one of the things I'm most excited about!

• Okinawa Spinach - a friend will send seeds in a trade

• Katuk - a friend will send seeds in a trade

• Slo Bolt Lettuce (maybe not for summer, but perhaps spring and fall) - just planted yesterday

• Mignonette Bronze Lettuce  (maybe not for summer, but perhaps spring and fall) - just planted yesterday

2)  USE ROOT KNOT NEMATODE RESISTANT VARIETIES AS ROOT STOCK FOR GRAFTING OTHER VARIETIES, AS WELL AS GROW A FEW AS FULL FRUITING PLANTS (UNGRAFTED) -- Many of you know I've had a terrible time with root knot nematodes. The beginning of this summer I'll be solarizing parts of all three beds.  I'm learned a lot about managing persistent RKNs, and now I've found varieties of RKN resistant tomatoes, peppers and even passion fruit.  I'm aware that often resistance breaks down in high temperatures, so I'll need to mulch that soil to keep the temperature low.  I've read that even if resistance breaks down, many gardeners find that they're still more productive than non-resistant plants. 

So I'm excited about trying these RKN resistant cultivars:

• Anahu tomato (indeterminate) - ordered from Baker Creek Heirlooms

• Healani tomato  (determinate) - known to do well in hot humid tropics - will be notified when it Baker Creek has it in stock

• Charleston Belle Pepper - ordered from Baker Creek Heirlooms

• Yellow Passion Fruit - 2 seedlings successfully germinated, and can't wait to propagate more with cuttings and eventually use it as root stock

• Turkey Berry - great for using as root stock for eggplant.  (See my thread about Perennial Eggplant Trees... https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18463-perennial-eggplant-trees?highlight=eggplant+tree ) I have many young seedlings! 

I'm also excited about these other tomatoes that are not RKN resistant that I'll graft onto RKN resistant rootstock:

• Homestead - great for the South that is known to be wilt resistant and productive

• Komohana Grape tomato - known to do well in hot humid tropics and very productive

3)  MISCELLANEOUS PLANTS THAT I'M EXCITED TO TRY IN THE COMING YEAR: 

• Pepino Melon - seedlings have sprouted
  • Thai Golden Round Melon - just planted yesterday
  • Banana Passion Fruit - will be notified when it Baker Creek has it in stock
  • Goji Berry - seedlings have sprouted
  • Dwarf Greek Basil - seedlings have sprouted (Someone on this forum highly recommended Greek Basil to me recently and I can't remember who.)
dstack
dstack

Male Posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/16/2015, 12:21 pm

FYI, sweet potato leaves are heat tolerant and edible.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What varieties are you excited about trying this year? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 1/16/2015, 12:33 pm

camprn wrote:FYI, sweet potato leaves are heat tolerant and edible.
Oh yes. Thanks for the reminder Camprn.  I've never grown them for their leaves but am considering growing some in a SFG box just for that this summer.  To date I've only grown them in large pots.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/17/2015, 2:23 am

That's an exciting list dstack. I going to review some of those seeds/plants you listed and see how they will do in this area. My area is it not tropical, but I found your list interesting and curious enough to initiate exploration fever.Smile
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/17/2015, 3:01 am

Dstack, Grafting - ambitious undertaking. Have you been studying up on the subject? I tried Homestead last summer, but of course, I lost all of the tomatoes. Are Malabar and New Zealand spinach similar? In a pot or one of the beds?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/17/2015, 3:17 am

sanderson wrote:Dstack,  Grafting - ambitious undertaking.  Have you been studying up on the subject?  I tried Homestead last summer, but of course, I lost all of the tomatoes.  Are Malabar and New Zealand spinach similar?  In a pot or one of the beds?
I had great success with malabar, thanks to the transplants I received from GloriaG. easy to grow, excellent taste. I also grew New Zealand, but it didn't get large and ate very little. can't remember how it tasted. I will try again.it
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/17/2015, 9:12 am

DStack, I think I was the one who told you about the Greek Basil.  Grew it last year & LOVED it! 

But haven't been able to find seeds...  Where did you get yours? 

And please let me know how the Goji berries do.  I've got some and am seriously considering getting them going.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 1/17/2015, 9:14 am

has55 wrote:That's an exciting list dstack. I going to review some of those seeds/plants you listed and see how they will do in this area. My area is it not tropical, but I found your list interesting and curious enough to initiate exploration fever.Smile
Exploration fever pretty much describes what I've had about my garden.  I would imagine that your climate is close enough that you would benefit from most of my list.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 1/17/2015, 9:17 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:DStack, I think I was the one who told you about the Greek Basil.  Grew it last year & LOVED it! 

But haven't been able to find seeds...  Where did you get yours? 

And please let me know how the Goji berries do.  I've got some and am seriously considering getting them going.
Yes, I believe you're right. I bought the seeds from Baker Creek. I can't wait for the seedlings to take off!  Very Happy
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 1/17/2015, 9:30 am

sanderson wrote:Dstack,  Grafting - ambitious undertaking.  Have you been studying up on the subject?  I tried Homestead last summer, but of course, I lost all of the tomatoes.  Are Malabar and New Zealand spinach similar?  In a pot or one of the beds?
Me?... Ambitious?  LOL

Yes, I've researched it, but I also have experience.  Growing up near San Diego I once had a summer job grafting female kiwi onto male kiwi.  Also, as you may recall I had huge success in grafting my mango.  I've never attempted grafting small seedlings and may need to buy some grafting clips.  All I've used in the past is grafting tape.

I use to think Malabar and New Zealand were either similar or the same thing, but they're very different. Malabar grows more like a ground cover while NZ is a beautiful vine.  It likes growing up on a trellis.  I have the red variety that has a red stem.  I'm experimenting with Malabar in the bed and in the ground with minimal amendment and no direct sun.  It seems to be doing very well in the shade in the ground, which is great when I have too many things to plant in the beds.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 1/17/2015, 9:49 am

I have received all my seeds from Baker and Farm Direct for the year and have started to plan what goes where. Yesterday it all (somewhat) changed. I play pickle ball with a group of people most every day and one of the ladies in the group is from China. We were talking about gardening and what she planted and what I did and so on. She said that two years ago she was at a farm market in Korea and she bought a packet of cucumber seeds from a local who was also selling the cucumbers. She planted some last year and said they were the best ever. She offered to give me some so that's what
I'm excited about this year. Can't wait. Laughing
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/17/2015, 10:10 am

has55 wrote:
Rolling Stone wrote:CC -

Karl
:-(

No worries, I looked it up and found that the Tromboncini squash is PM resistant.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/17/2015, 12:15 pm

dstack wrote:
has55 wrote:That's an exciting list dstack. I going to review some of those seeds/plants you listed and see how they will do in this area. My area is it not tropical, but I found your list interesting and curious enough to initiate exploration fever.Smile
Exploration fever pretty much describes what I've had about my garden.  I would imagine that your climate is close enough that you would benefit from most of my list.
hoping, hoping. bounce
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/17/2015, 12:24 pm

just order my baker creek catalog. impressive site.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/17/2015, 12:32 pm

johnp wrote:I have received all my seeds from Baker and Farm Direct for the year and have started to plan what goes where. Yesterday it all (somewhat) changed. I play pickle ball with a group of people most every day and one of the ladies in the group is from China. We were talking about gardening and what she planted and what I did and so on. She said that two years ago she was at a farm market in Korea and she bought a packet of cucumber seeds from a local who was also selling the cucumbers. She planted some last year and said they were the best ever. She offered to give me some so that's what
I'm excited about this year. Can't wait. Laughing
johnp can you post the link. I'm having trouble finding the correct site for the seeds from farm direct.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/17/2015, 12:35 pm

has anyone heard of a zucchini or yellow squash seed/plant that squash bugs avoid. I avoided planting them, because when they come, they are so aggressive and then spread to my cantaloupes, watermelon, and cucumber plants.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next