Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple Toplef10Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple I22gcj10Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple Toplef10Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple I22gcj10Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple

+3
Kelejan
Goosegirl
llama momma
7 posters

Go down

Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple Empty Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple

Post  llama momma 1/3/2015, 7:09 am

Whole, fresh pineapple was on sale recently for a dollar each.  I should have purchased more than 2.   This is all of it dehydrated and fits nicely into a quart jar, naturally sweet and crunchy. No added sugar.   Unsweetened canned pineapple can be used also but I haven't tried that version.   

Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple Unname10
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple Empty Re: Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple

Post  Goosegirl 1/3/2015, 7:16 am

Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple 3170584802 Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple 3170584802

Great idea! I LOVE dried pineapple - but only the unsweetened kind, and I only found it at Trader Joe's. I have a dehydrator.....why did I never think to do this myself? dangit
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple Empty Re: Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple

Post  llama momma 1/3/2015, 7:19 am

..I thought this might make someone's day??  Lol !  And I barely posted this a couple minutes ago.  Laughing  Enjoy!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/3/2015, 4:16 pm

I have included pineapple in my dried fruit mix which contains bananas (my staple ingredient) to which I add red and golden plums, apples, pears, cherries, grapes or whatever comes my way in the form of freebies, self-grown like blueberries and strawberries, grapes, nuts, whatever is on sale and in season. I don't add M&Ms.

I have just finished dehydrating forty pounds of free bananas that yielded five pounds of finished bananas so those will divided into baggies and then I add whatever i get as it comes in. I always have a healthy snack to take out when I am walking etc.

Now in the middles of dehydrating the surplus Christmas oranges I have before they dry up of their on accord.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 1/3/2015, 4:24 pm

This sounds delicious, how would you prepare pineapple for dehydration ?
I purchased a dehydrator last year and haven't used it yet.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/3/2015, 8:50 pm

Oh, YUM!  Dehydrated pineapple is wonderful!!!

Jimmy - just cut it into chunks/slices/whatever about 1/4" to 1/2" thick, put it on the trays and dry at 135F for several hours.

Canned is just as good as fresh.  We got a gallon can of tropical fruit mix & dried it.  REALLY good! 

Try mangos & papaya if you get the chance.  And watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew...  Oranges SMELL divine when dried....

Cherry tomatoes, chocolate mint, spearmint, Greek basil(!)

Can you tell I like to dehydrate?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 1/3/2015, 11:44 pm

Thanks Marie
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/4/2015, 4:02 am

Oranges?? My ears perked up when I read that. Do you slice them instead of just using the sections! We have a Washington Navel orange tree that produces more than we can eat. Daughter gave me her dehydrator that she never used. I need to clean it up and try it.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 1/4/2015, 5:26 am

Jimmy C
The following link with pictures was very helpful to me in preparing pineapple for the dehydrator.
I would also add that I washed off the pineapple real well before getting started to remove whatever was sprayed on it.  Second, my pineapple sat around for several days and was very ripe before I cut it up.  The writer suggested that waiting like I did the fruit becomes rather acidic and burned her mouth after dehydrating.  I didn't have that experience. It was the sweetest I've had so far and didn't burn my mouth.  Her pineapples looked rather green and raw to me in the pictures. Mine were lighter in color and smelled delicious before I cut into it. Maybe you simply have to decide for yourself.

http://arewecrazyorwhat.net/how-to-dehydrate-fresh-pineapple/

I wouldn't  put a load of fresh cut up scraps in a worm farm. The bromelain in the fruit is a protein digesting enzyme. Same ingredient as meat tenderizer that breaks down meat fibers. Worms. Thin skin.... ouch

Kelejan
That's a lot of fruit, wow.  I'd love to have your stock of dehydrated fruit.  I read where putting it in the freezer for a week pasteurizes the finished product. But I don't know if thats true.  You do anything to yours after dehydrating?  I keep mine in the fridge because I don't have a lot and its going to be eaten within a month or so.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/4/2015, 7:01 am

Sanderson, yes, I slice my oranges.  You can leave the rind on or take it off.

LLM & Jimmy - after I dehydrate my fruit, I'll put it in a large jar/bag for a few days and shake it once or twice/day.  That allows any remaining water to equal out within the pieces.

If you see any condensation, you need to put the fruit back on the dehydrator for a while.

Once it's dry, I put what I'm going to eat fairly quickly in a jar or bag.  The rest gets seal-a-mealed and put away till needed.

Mary Bell & Denise Long(? - I'll have to double-check the last one) have some good books out on dehydrating.

And, of course, there's lots of recipes on the internet.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/4/2015, 9:19 am

I like the idea of unsweetened food being dried & vac packed in heat sealed bags .

The diabetic clinic i attended said just remember it has the same natural sugar & almost the same carb content as fresh fruit so don't go overboard & go eating a big hand full every day .

" Think more like a dessertspoon of it or less if it is really high sugar veg or fruits."

So ...........   the next thing for food processing / long term keeping of food on our list has to be  ......  a dehydrator . Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/4/2015, 10:09 am

Atlanta-Marie, I follow exactly what you do. This stuff can keep for years if stored properly. No light, no heat etc.

Did I mention that forty pound of bananas dehydrates to 5 pounds in weight? Takes up no room at all.

The only trouble with dehydrating forty pounds of ripe bananas  is getting it all done before it turns to mush.

I have a six-tray Baby Berron, my friend who gave me the bananas has two  ten-tray Berrons so has over three times my capacity.

Sadly. the Canadian Made Berrons are no longer made.

Plantoid, you are right to point out that only a small quantity should be eaten at a time.  Also make sure you are hydrated yourself, or drink liquid at the same time.
I can't imagine what would happen to you if you ate the equivalent of six bananas at once and did not drink any liquid.  I doubt you would do it twice.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/5/2015, 3:19 pm

Oh, +1!  Boy, I'd hate to even think about that...!

Just FYI Kelejan - 10 lbs of Vidalia onions dehydrates into a gallon.  As does 8 lbs of oranges.

If you dehydrate onions, leeks, garlic, etc - BE SURE your windows are open wide.  And MAKE SURE you store them in glass or ceramic.  The fragrance will migrate thru plastic...  Quickly... Shocked
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/5/2015, 4:19 pm

Inspired by this Topic, I am going to dehydrate some of my oranges. The free dehydrator I received is an American Harvest Snackmaster with 5 trays. Totally dusty and with food bits stuck on the trays, I need to clean it thoroughly first. I think I will stick to dehydrating onions and garlic in my summer outdoor boxes! Very Happy I'll give an update later.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/6/2015, 2:09 am

sanderson, just soak the trays for a while and the old food will easily wash off.

My hydrator is all ready to go once more.  I was expecting some more bananas but that fell through and to be honest, I am not unhappy.  One can only enjoy so much before it becomes a bore and you have other urgent things to do because you were spending so much time with bananas.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/6/2015, 3:21 am

Kelejan, The unit cleaned up easily, thank goodness. I think the original owner dried kale, herbs, and mystery bits. I started up the base and even more bits and dust bunnies blew out! This one-owner, low mileage unit came with instructions, roll and herb inserts. I'm so glad daughter passed it on to me when she was moving this summer. DH wants me to go Razoring in the mountains with him tomorrow so I will start the oranges on Wednesday.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/7/2015, 2:19 am

What is Razoring?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/7/2015, 3:09 am

2-seater big boy toy.  Something like this "Googled" Razor Dune Buggy. Some have a small flat bed and can carry a couple bales of hay on a farm or ranch.  Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple Razor_10
I didn't go with him today - I worked outside instead. Maybe I will go with him on Friday.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/7/2015, 6:40 am

sanderson wrote:2-seater big boy toy.  Something like this "Googled" Razor Dune Buggy. Some have a small flat bed and can carry a couple bales of hay on a farm or ranch.  Nice winter snack - dehydrated pineapple Razor_10
I didn't go with him today - I worked outside instead.  Maybe I will go with him on Friday.

Thank goodness for that .
 I was thinking of razoring :face:as per , "Sweeney Todd Twisted Evil , The demon barber " . Wink
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/7/2015, 11:26 am

sanderson, thanks for the explanation of Razoring. Of course, I could have googled it but much more interesting to get a reply here.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/7/2015, 2:11 pm

You would have had a hard time Googling it. I had to try all kinds of key words to get into the right subject. Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/14/2015, 2:42 am

Question on when the oranges are properly dehydrated. I can still get a squish of thick liquid out of some bites. More hours needed?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/14/2015, 9:39 am

Yes.  The juice will mold if you don't dehydrate all the way.  It should look almost like hard candy but still be a little flexible.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/14/2015, 10:12 am

Agree Atlantamarie.  But if you just want a nice snack, then you can eat them if not thoroughly dried but do not delay too long.
When I do my bananas for long time storage, I always have a few on hand that are a little softer and they are soon eaten.
Properly dried fruit needs your own saliva to eat out of hand. Better than water. IMO.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/14/2015, 12:40 pm

Thank you.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down