Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+77
professorm
Ginger Blue
Judy McConnell
StrongAsMeat
walshevak
No_Such_Reality
lopez
ralitaco
GrowRunner
MrBooker
littlejo
Zmoore
FeedMeSeeMore
p14shooter
landarch
BeetlesPerSqFt
bigdogrock
countrynaturals
littlesapphire
CotheK
WindAndVane
Swilliams0416
reynajrainwater
Mimi2
donnainzone5
greatgranny
Scorpio Rising
MackerelSky
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
CitizenKate
Dadoo
vortex
trolleydriver
Mikesgardn
mschaef
hokie_paw
mollyhespra
momvet
NanSFG
Rahab222
bbroomm
nosmok
TinySpock
Razed Bed
quiltbea
Triciasgarden
Dunkinjean
sfg4uKim
steve638
NAR56
martha
Cajun Cappy
Windmere
AtlantaMarie
dstack
southern gardener
plantoid
johnp
cyclonegardener
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Kelejan
sfgteachers
Turan
GloriaG
Cherbear
Denese
floyd1440
yolos
llama momma
FamilyGardening
herblover
meatburner
brainchasm
camprn
81 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Kelejan 9/22/2016, 12:24 am

Mimi2 wrote:Here's the huge tomato I'm talking about!

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 IMG_20160921_210447_zpses5thhbf
I fished out one of my Toonies and placed it against the picture on my screen and my coin was the exact size as your coin so that means the tomato pictured is exactly that size. Mind you, that was my screen so I do not know if anyone else's picture was the same as mine.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Kelejan 9/22/2016, 12:31 am

TD, looking at your picture I went outside and selected a green tomato that I had picked so as to compare it with yous, seeing as your picture was life size.  Mine was a little smaller but weighs 1 1/4 pound.

I have several more still on the plants, all green, and I pick them when they start to blush then bring them indoors.  I know I have several more very large ones.  This is the first time I have had success with tomatoes.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/22/2016, 2:15 am

trolleydriver wrote:
Mimi2 wrote:The coin added for scale is a toonie (kind of like a silver dollar for my American friends).
Wow ... That is a monster tomato.
+1

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/22/2016, 3:48 pm

YEE-HAH! I finally get to participate! Tonight we're eating kale and cukes from the garden, served with hardboiled eggs from our own chickens.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Kale10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 9/23/2016, 3:38 pm

First harvest of some spinach for a (small) side salad.  And some arugula we are going to throw on some homemade pizza.  Unfortunately the tomato sauce is store bought as we just started the garden this fall, next year though... full garden pizza! *starts laughing maniacally*What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 20160917
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Male Posts : 364

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/23/2016, 3:51 pm

We are having a crockpit dish ... the main ingredients from the garden are tomatillos and onions plus other store bought things such as chicken and garlic. We have SFG grown garlic but I need to use up the store bought stuff.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/24/2016, 8:04 am

trolleydriver wrote:We are having a crockpit dish ... the main ingredients from the garden are tomatillos and onions plus other store bought things such as chicken and garlic. We have SFG grown garlic but I need to use up the store bought stuff.

Here is what it looked like in the crockpot at the end of the cooking cycle.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Img_2614
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 9/24/2016, 8:08 am

Yesterday, a Chinese dish for lunch and an Indonesian dish for dinner using: green bush beans, yellow pole beans, red peppers, zucchini, and tomatoes. Today's lunch plan is salad using some of the last, misshapen cucumbers, and the first yippy it's cool enough for lettuce again!
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 9/26/2016, 7:40 am

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Carrot10
Carrots.  Sadly these are much better than my first try last year.  Still don't quite have something right for getting a little better length.  I think this variety was supposed to be 6-8".... I got 2-3" Sad  Anyway, ate some for snack last night, tasted like carrot.  

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Cucumb10
and a cucumber for snack time.  Struggled with my cucumbers this year as well, they did so well last year.  For some reason I struggled getting them to germinate and start, once I finally got them started stink bugs attacked them and did some damage.  I finally have started getting some though and I should be able to get a few more before they are done.
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 9/26/2016, 9:34 am

Saturday made some stir fry with some baby bok choi.What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 20160918Yesterday we had a side of sautéed radishes with the radishes greens.   Radishes still aren't my favorite but I can eat a small serving this way.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 20160919
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/26/2016, 2:00 pm

Sauteed radishes. That's a new one. Anyone else saute radishes?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/26/2016, 3:44 pm

sanderson wrote:Sauteed radishes.  That's a new one.  Anyone else saute radishes?

Only the daikon radishes. But I've thrown old red radishes in the 'clean out the fridge' soup pot here and there.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Robbomb116 9/26/2016, 4:53 pm

sanderson wrote:Sauteed radishes.  That's a new one.  Anyone else saute radishes?
 I've aLao tried roasting them.   Since I'm not a huge fan of them raw, thought I'd try coming them a couple ways.   I think I preferred roasting them with some honey vs sautéed.   The thing that I liked about sautéing them was I could throw there greens in there too.  I liked the idea if utilizing the whole plant! And the greens were probably my favorite part of that recipe.
Robbomb116
Robbomb116

Back to top Go down

Post  VJ72584 9/27/2016, 10:37 am

I had a volunteer patty pan squash grow in the box that was almost empty.  Apparently a gift from a bird or squirrel.  I didn't plant any squash this year so it was a surprise.  I tried cooking a couple last night with some butter and onions.  I wasn't crazy about it. Is there a better way to cook them?

Maybe it's just that the texture is so different from zucchini or yellow crook neck.
VJ72584
VJ72584

Female Posts : 99

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/27/2016, 6:34 pm

When I go out to the garden I eat delicious, flavour bursting everbearing rasberries and cherry tomatoes right off the vines.  Yummy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Yummy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 9/27/2016, 8:00 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Nice!  Lipstick peppers, eh?  Are they sweet?
Yes, the lipstick peppers are sweet if you let them ripen and become red.  A nice thin skin too. The hot peppers did well- but I'm the only one that eats them.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 9/27/2016, 8:07 pm

Kelejan wrote:TD, looking at your picture I went outside and selected a green tomato that I had picked so as to compare it with yous, seeing as your picture was life size.  Mine was a little smaller but weighs 1 1/4 pound.

I have several more still on the plants, all green, and I pick them when they start to blush then bring them indoors.  I know I have several more very large ones.  This is the first time I have had success with tomatoes.
Ha ha- glad you are doing well with your tomatoes too Kelejan. I should get a scale like you so I can weigh my produce. Generally I have had better luck with cherry tomatoes, but this year the big ones did OK. I only need one to feed the whole family Wink
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/27/2016, 10:21 pm

VJ72584 wrote:I had a volunteer patty pan squash grow in the box that was almost empty.  Apparently a gift from a bird or squirrel.  I didn't plant any squash this year so it was a surprise.  I tried cooking a couple last night with some butter and onions.  I wasn't crazy about it. Is there a better way to cook them?

Maybe it's just that the texture is so different from zucchini or yellow crook neck.
Hi VJ!  Patty pan is the only summer squash I have ever re-grown!  It is a little different. Not watery, so very suitable for a sauté with EVOO, garlic, maybe some sweet onion carmelized and if you like, a grate of fresh Parmesan.  

It is toothy and firmer than other summer squash. Very buttery.  But give it some time in a skillet with some good olive oil or butter, garlic a must, and you will never go back. I won't!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/28/2016, 3:01 am

Micro greens salad - I thinned the kale, chard, broccoli, cauliflower starts. Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 9/28/2016, 8:23 am

Tonight I'll be eating more vine ripened tomatoes. This weekend, at the latest, I'll be bringing all my tomatoes in (ripe or not).
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/28/2016, 10:51 am

We will be eating some red tomatoes.  As well I am currently processing the rest of the red toms (about 7 or 8 lbs) for a freezer tomato sauce. I put them in the Vitramix (skins, seeds as well) and made a purée which now is in a pot on medium heat to reduce the amount of liquid.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/28/2016, 1:40 pm

Pulled carrots this morning for lunchtime munching. The tops went into the morning smoothie and tonights salad bowl.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 370856013
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/28/2016, 8:30 pm

Oven roasting these beets:  Rosemary from my container, EVOO, a little canola, salt and pepper!

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Image14

Before.....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/28/2016, 8:31 pm

How was this, TD.  I have never grown tomatillos.  Will you do over?
trolleydriver wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:We are having a crockpit dish ... the main ingredients from the garden are tomatillos and onions plus other store bought things such as chicken and garlic. We have SFG grown garlic but I need to use up the store bought stuff.

Here is what it looked like in the crockpot at the end of the cooking cycle.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 Img_2614
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 9/28/2016, 9:37 pm

We had a nice herb pesto (chives, parsley, basil oregano, olive oil and sea salt) with shrimps, pasta and parmesan for dinner. The herbs were all from the garden- and we had orange and red tomatoes as our side. Here's a picWhat are you eating from your garden today? - Page 38 IMG_20160928_181451_zpshqtojgqk

Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next