Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 36 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 36 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 36 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 36 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 36 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 36 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 36 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 36 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+77
professorm
Ginger Blue
Judy McConnell
StrongAsMeat
walshevak
No_Such_Reality
lopez
ralitaco
GrowRunner
MrBooker
littlejo
Zmoore
FeedMeSeeMore
p14shooter
landarch
BeetlesPerSqFt
bigdogrock
countrynaturals
littlesapphire
CotheK
WindAndVane
Swilliams0416
reynajrainwater
Mimi2
donnainzone5
greatgranny
Scorpio Rising
MackerelSky
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
CitizenKate
Dadoo
vortex
trolleydriver
Mikesgardn
mschaef
hokie_paw
mollyhespra
momvet
NanSFG
Rahab222
bbroomm
nosmok
TinySpock
Razed Bed
quiltbea
Triciasgarden
Dunkinjean
sfg4uKim
steve638
NAR56
martha
Cajun Cappy
Windmere
AtlantaMarie
dstack
southern gardener
plantoid
johnp
cyclonegardener
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Kelejan
sfgteachers
Turan
GloriaG
Cherbear
Denese
floyd1440
yolos
llama momma
FamilyGardening
herblover
meatburner
brainchasm
camprn
81 posters

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 36 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  yolos 9/2/2016, 3:36 pm

sanderson wrote:Congrats GB.  Okra seems to like the hotter weather.  I direct seeded April 7 and they are just now producing.  I grow them every year and never eat even one!
So who or what eats them if you don't.  Ants burrowed into all mine the last two years. I also have never eaten one.  Either the ants get them or they get too big before I notice they can be picked.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 36 Empty Cucumber Pear Salsa

Post  ralitaco 9/2/2016, 4:59 pm

Okra, ewwwww  Very Happy I'm sure it would grow here but I never developed an eye for it...I can't get past the slime.

My Father-in-Law brought over a ton of pears. He said he threw away about 500-1000 due to squirrels eating on them or rotting. What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 36 2016-039
Photo Credit: My DW

I combined his pears with some cucumbers from my SFG added some cilantro, onion, white balsamic vinegar, a finely chopped jalapeno from the garden and made up a Cucumber-Pear salsa. What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 36 2016-038

Turned out to be quite good. I experimented with a small bowl of that salsa and added some Ginger to 1 and Cinnamon to another...both tasty. Then I was cleaning up and combined those 2 and that too was also quite yummy.  My DW liked it "plain" and my favorite was the one with Ginger.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 36 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  bigdogrock 9/2/2016, 6:54 pm

OK Sanderson, you are making me crazy, if you don't eat them, then just send them to me and I will take care of them. Rolling Eyes
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/2/2016, 9:36 pm

Sakatas Sweet Melon, sliced up King of the North red Bell pepper, beit alpha cuke, just plain old stuff, no great cooking....raw.  Wishbone Blue Cheese salad dressing...yummo.  I love strong cheeses.

I do better with raw.  I always have problems actually cooking things in summer.  Need to think about that as I plan!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 9/2/2016, 11:11 pm

Lunch: An Indian dish using zucchini, yellow crookneck, and (red) tomatoes (And I threw in the two nice, but lonely, okra*), along side a Indian dish using part of the huge cabbage I grew. (Now it fits in the crisper! So nice not to have a giant bowling ball crashing around in the fridge!)

Dinner: A salad that included stir-fried radicchio, green zebra tomatoes, and cucumbers.
I guess radicchio head... and then un-head? If so, that means I need to plant them a week apart next year. I also need to restart the fall radicchios (and endive, and escarole) seedlings. Got spider mites, or something, and they look horrid.

*I'm glad no one told me okra were hard. My map says I've got 8 plants... but only two are really doing anything... one ... pod... at ...a  ... time.  To be fair, none of them are in MM, and 3 definitely aren't getting quite enough sunlight. In the end I'll get a few more than last year's 4 plants that were grown in MM, but were planted very late in the season and didn't have time to do much before frost.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/2/2016, 11:28 pm

PFBeetles, are you from the South?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 9/2/2016, 11:46 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:PFBeetles, are you from the South?
Nope. I've lived in 3 states, but all of them are northern. But I'm silly and keep trying to grow southern vegetables in Pennsylvania anyhow because I enjoy eating them. The collards are doing well, even better than last year. This year I'm also trying cowpeas, lima beans, and sweet potatoes.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/3/2016, 8:52 pm

Ha!  I like okra.  Lived in Nashville for 6 years.   Also like southern cornbread and banana pudding.  But they aren't very spicy.....

Ate cherry tomatoes.

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 9/3/2016, 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to add what I ate today.)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/4/2016, 3:53 am

The Japanese Millionaire eggplants I baked in order to freeze.  Embarassed  They just didn't survive the process.

Opps, just realized there were a couple comments on my okra.  Well, cuz they survive in the 6 squares in front of the sliding glass door where nothing else will grow with the reflected heat. Embarassed  I get one per plant per day, if I pick them each day.  Usually they are big tough things when I think of it.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 9/4/2016, 11:41 am

Just tomatoes, basil, and cukes, but I've learned a lot this year, so next year should be better. Also, I still have fall crops coming, just not until next month. Smile
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/8/2016, 1:04 pm

In the morning I made a green smoothie which included chard, kale and cucumber from the SFG. I added green grapes (from California to make sanderson happy Very Happy ) and a banana.

This afternoon I'm planning on making some "Salsa Verde" using tomatillos from the "regular soil" veggie garden and onions from the SFG plus other required ingredients.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/8/2016, 2:39 pm

Wink

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/8/2016, 3:50 pm

trolleydriver wrote:This afternoon I'm planning on making some "Salsa Verde" using tomatillos from the "regular soil" veggie garden and onions from the SFG plus other required ingredients.

Done ... I followed a Vitamix recipe for the Salsa Verde and was able to use scallions and jalapeno pepper grown in the SFG. I didn't grow any cilantro so had to use store bought. Other ingredients included lemon juice and salt. Simple and quick.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/8/2016, 5:05 pm

Alison  used the four big home grown tomatoes to make pasata .

She also used some pasta flour , made fettuccine (?) threads  kept a bit of the tomato mush back  made a pasta & ham dish with home grown fine chopped onions & a few leaves of chopped fine basil .
Using half the pasata as ther sauce she dropped the mush bits in  a few minutes before serving it.

I don't like pasta ,as I'm always feeling sleepy after eating it ( type two diabetic ) but tonight's simple  dish was quite a tasty change .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 9/8/2016, 5:43 pm

Rabbit enchiladas using a green salsa made from the green zebra tomatoes and a few tomatillos, and a veggie side using yellow squash, zucchini, and peppers (poblano, jalapeño, Carmen, and Round of Hungary.)

Yesterday - one of the Golden Crispy melons. Possibly not 100% ripe, but cracked and in need of rescue. Refreshing, edible rind (I peeled the skin, though it, too could have been eaten), but not as sweet or floral as some melons. There's more ripening, so maybe one I can let ripen further will be better.They are smaller than I expected, but it's nice to have something that doesn't take up room in the fridge.

I've got ripe Sierra Gold Cantaloupes awaiting me. Perhaps for dessert tonight...
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/8/2016, 6:50 pm

Everything sounds delish!  I had sliced up peppers with lunch.  And a Sakatas Sweet melon for an AM snack.

Beetles, what kind of melon is Golden Crispy?  Where did you get the seeds?  Grow again?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 9/8/2016, 11:19 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Everything sounds delish!  I had sliced up peppers with lunch.  And a Sakatas Sweet melon for an AM snack.

Beetles, what kind of melon is Golden Crispy?  Where did you get the seeds?  Grow again?
Seeds were a freebie that came with my order from Bakers Creek:
http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-crispy-melon/
I think they are closer to the type of melon your Sakatas Sweets are than to a honeydew type or cantaloupe type.

Not something I was originally planning on, and not I would have picked out on my own, but I was surprised at how well it did crowded into a container with other melons. 2 Crispy and 2 Sierra in an "EarthTainer" (similar to an EarthBox but made from a 31-gallon tote; purchased used for a very fair price.)  I'm really undecided about whether to grow it again. I think it depends somewhat on how the Sierra Golds taste, and whether any of the other Crispy fruits are sweeter than the first. Either one or the other variety has to make way for the Minnesota Midgets. The plants are almost dead but not from mildew -- I won't try Charentais melons again because they caught the mildew ridiculously quickly last year.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/9/2016, 12:37 am

ralitaco wrote:Okra, ewwwww  Very Happy I'm sure it would grow here but I never developed an eye for it...I can't get past the slime.

My Father-in-Law brought over a ton of pears. He said he threw away about 500-1000 due to squirrels eating on them or rotting. What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 36 2016-039

I combined his pears with some cucumbers from my SFG added some cilantro, onion, white balsamic vinegar, a finely chopped jalapeno from the garden and made up a Cucumber-Pear salsa. What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 36 2016-038

Turned out to be quite good. I experimented with a small bowl of that salsa and added some Ginger to 1 and Cinnamon to another...both tasty. Then I was cleaning up and combined those 2 and that too was also quite yummy.  My DW liked it "plain" and my favorite was the one with Ginger.
 Wow that's a lot of pear wine / perry / pear juice to throw away .

What did you use to stop the pears going brown or didn't you bother ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 9/9/2016, 9:16 am

Southern fried apples and a scoop of ice cream.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 734

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 9/9/2016, 6:20 pm

Eggplant, tomatoes along with some non-garden food.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 9/9/2016, 6:32 pm

greatgranny wrote:Eggplant, tomatoes along with some non-garden food.

Same here ... eggplant, tomatoes as well as cucumber and banana pepper.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/9/2016, 7:57 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:Everything sounds delish!  I had sliced up peppers with lunch.  And a Sakatas Sweet melon for an AM snack.

Seeds were a freebie that came with my order from Bakers Creek:
http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-crispy-melon/
I think they are closer to the type of melon your Sakatas Sweets are than to a honeydew type or cantaloupe type.

Not something I was originally planning on, and not I would have picked out on my own, but I was surprised at how well it did crowded into a container with other melons. 2 Crispy and 2 Sierra in an "EarthTainer" (similar to an EarthBox but made from a 31-gallon tote; purchased used for a very fair price.)  I'm really undecided about whether to grow it again. I think it depends somewhat on how the Sierra Golds taste, and whether any of the other Crispy fruits are sweeter than the first. Either one or the other variety has to make way for the Minnesota Midgets. The plants are almost dead but not from mildew -- I won't try Charentais melons again because they caught the mildew ridiculously quickly last year.
OK, gotcha.  Those MN Midgets are pretty darn tasty, and produce really well too.  I like the Sakatas Sweets a lot, but you gotta get them all the way ripe or they are not real sweet.  Still like the crunch and honeydew flavor.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/9/2016, 8:06 pm

Today I ate a Beit Alpha  Cuke, sliced.  I just want to go on record that these cucumbers are seriously wonderful and unlike anything you can buy at Farmer's Markets or in the grocery.   Super crispy and juicy, skin barely there.  Green flesh.  Seeds that you don't even notice....super yummy.  Doubling my vines next year.  

These vines got tore up by a beetle invasion, yellow beetles (cucumber beetles?) with blackish dots/dashes on them.  First year growing cukes since my original foray into SFG in the 90s (Marketmore, Straight Cool Compared to these, those are pickles.  These are eaters.
 It is straight eight.......

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 9/9/2016, 8:08 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : It put a smiley randomly where 8 was)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/10/2016, 2:17 pm

Radish thinnings!  And a little MM sticking on there for fiber....Spicy!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/11/2016, 1:28 pm

Last night I heated up some 2016 frozen butternut with butter and frozen eggplant with EVOO, salt and pepper.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 36 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next