Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Supports for plants in and out of beds Toplef10Supports for plants in and out of beds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Supports for plants in and out of beds I22gcj10Supports for plants in and out of beds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Supports for plants in and out of beds Toplef10Supports for plants in and out of beds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Supports for plants in and out of beds I22gcj10Supports for plants in and out of beds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Supports for plants in and out of beds

+8
johnp
yolos
sanderson
Cajun Cappy
AtlantaMarie
CapeCoddess
Carrie B.
jimmy cee
12 posters

Go down

Supports for plants in and out of beds Empty Supports for plants in and out of beds

Post  jimmy cee 12/20/2014, 9:30 am

I kinda thought this may be a help to some, so here goes

Last 2 seasons I worked with a roll of wire I picked up at Lowes.
There are many different ways to go on this, let your mind run wild.
Round, square, short square, tall square, etc. etc.
I've found the bottom spikes running into the M.M. has been sufficient for my needs.
Wind, summer storms hasn't affected them at all.
There are smaller squares, and I think larger squares, and a good variation at Lowes.

Here's the roll intactSupports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c21

Here is a round cage cut to fit this container for peppers.Supports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c22

Here are potato cages I made to highSupports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c23

A few square cages for peppers in a cold frame.Supports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c24

A few more.Supports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c25

A round cage that does nicely for cucumbers.Supports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c28

A couple newly made
Supports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c27

Notice the bottom pieces have been snipped to for legs for insertion into MM...This has worked for me.Supports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c29

When first tried this I tied sides together with twine, then discovered pieces can be cut to twist.Supports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c31
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Supports for plants in and out of beds Empty 2 questions

Post  Carrie B. 12/20/2014, 9:40 am

1) what medium do you have your potatoes growing in?  2) how would you make a bean trellis with that wire?

I sure hope I can use lineman pliers to cut the wire...
Carrie B.
Carrie B.

Female Posts : 1

Back to top Go down

Supports for plants in and out of beds Empty Re: Supports for plants in and out of beds

Post  jimmy cee 12/20/2014, 10:02 am

Hi Carrie and welcome to our forum.

I use nothing but M.M. in anything I try to grow, it has worked so well for me I will work with nothing else.
Seeds are even planted in it.

This wire is soft, any wire cutter will cut it, I use regular pliers to make the rolls.
Take your cutter to the store and try it.

As far as my telling you how to make anything? I can only put things together as I go.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Supports for plants in and out of beds Empty Re: Supports for plants in and out of beds

Post  CapeCoddess 12/20/2014, 10:29 am

Jimmy, are those squares in your wires 2 by 4 inches? Did you find it difficult to harvest veggies through them?

Hi Carrie! happy hi I see that is your first post. Welcome to the forum. In case you were wondering, MM means Mel's mix.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/20/2014, 10:41 am

Thank you, Jimmy.  Good pix!

Hi Carrie and welcome from Atlanta, GA!

No reason you couldn't use this for beans.  You could bend it over to make a tunnel over the bed (OR aisle) or just use it straight up & down.  Just be sure you don't cut yourself on sharp corners...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 12/20/2014, 11:01 am

Wonderful report Jimmy.  We use that wire and chicken wire bot from Lowes as well.  The chicken wire is for kitty fences letting them know that our garden boxes are not litter boxes.  The 2x4 wire we use for trellises etc.  We have some grape vines growing on some that has been there for 10 years or so so its durable as well.  What you can do with it is limited only by your imagination.  I use your tip to cut them so they have their legs and it does do the trick.  I just step on the horizontals and that sinks them down.  I most definitely will use your twist to connect trick too.  I never thought of it and the wire long out last zip ties.  So thanks for that tip. Cool
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/20/2014, 2:53 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Jimmy, are those squares in your wires 2 by 4 inches? Did you find it difficult to harvest veggies through them?

CC they are 2 X 4 inch spaces, and yes I can barely get through them, ( and a side note I forgot ) I get lots of little nicks on my arms from the sharp points left after snipping, I'm hoping someday to be more careful.
It's a good product, inexpensive and easy to work with, however  the nicks are almost unavoidable.
I am going to open them up by snipping the next square so I can get more nicks....
A long sleeve shirt will prevent that.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/20/2014, 3:19 pm

Jimmy, You always come up with comething clever. I especially like the "hinges" you designed. They have got to be easy for storage.

Carrie, Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 12/20/2014, 4:18 pm

jimmy cee wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:Jimmy, are those squares in your wires 2 by 4 inches? Did you find it difficult to harvest veggies through them?

CC they are 2 X 4 inch spaces, and yes I can barely get through them, ( and a side note I forgot ) I get lots of little nicks on my arms from the sharp points left after snipping, I'm hoping someday to be more careful.
It's a good product, inexpensive and easy to work with, however  the nicks are almost unavoidable.
I am going to open them up by snipping the next square so I can get more nicks....

Thanks for this info, Jimmy!  I've been eyeballing this wire roll at HD for years now since we don't have cattle panels in my area.  I hesitated buying it because I heard that the squares were hard to harvest through.  But if you are able to do it, I'm guessing I may have an easier time of it since I have pretty small hands. I suppose the next time I'm at HD I'll stick my hand through a roll and hopefully they won't have to come cut me out.  Laughing  Maybe I could avoid the nicks and enlarge every other square by bending the sides of every other square outward?  of course, that would make the in between squares smaller and the trellis or cage not quite as wide or tall as it would be if left alone.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/20/2014, 4:27 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
jimmy cee wrote:

Thanks for this info, Jimmy!  I've been eyeballing this wire roll at HD for years now since we don't have cattle panels in my area.  I hesitated buying it because I heard that the squares were hard to harvest through.  But if you are able to do it, I'm guessing I may have an easier time of it since I have pretty small hands. I suppose the next time I'm at HD I'll stick my hand through a roll and hopefully they won't have to come cut me out.  Laughing  Maybe I could enlarge every other square by bending the sides of every other square outward?  of course, that would make the in between squares smaller.

CC

Definitely, can do.  Customize them as you want, make squares larger as needed.
If your not into arm nicks, file them smooth and round em off...a few tools does wonders.
Even just a wad of duct tape will suffice.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/20/2014, 5:26 pm

Or snip the unwanted section in half. Roll end end into a tight curl with need-nosed pliers.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 12/20/2014, 8:09 pm

There is also some kind of plastic spray (or paint on) that you can cover the cut ends with.  Somewhere on this forum it was discussed in the past but I can't find it.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 12/20/2014, 10:21 pm

sanderson wrote:Jimmy,  You always come up with comething clever.  I especially like the "hinges" you designed.  They have got to be easy for storage.

Carrie,  Welcome to the Forum from California! glad you\'re here

The wire wrapped around hinges won't fold, however the squares made with twine will, and their just as good.
If you use twine, make sure wrap is around both sides at the weld and criss cross. This way it won't slide.
With 40 squares to a bed, that makes for a lot of squares hanging around.
I hide them down below from wife, she wants thing nice and neat. I'm more into things.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 12/21/2014, 5:30 pm

You can also buy rolls of what I think they call garden fencing or something like that at Home Depot. It already has the legs that push into the MM. I cut and form a semi-circle to put on the E side of all my peppers etc. when small to keep them up right against the wind. The fencing is 2 ft. tall when pushed in so it works really well for support. At the end of the season I just bend one into the other, kind of like a round stack and store around one of the apple trees. The fencing is green colored.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 12/25/2014, 7:35 pm

This is such a good idea Jimmy.  Making cages and trellises with it is perfect.
If one gets the wire with narrower spaces, you need only snip the wires in between to make larger openings.  And weatherproof. 
You can also place a barrier in the bed between plants to make a shade shelter by attaching some netting or cheesecloth to the barrier.  Helps to keep greens and lettuces growing longer into the summer and protects tomatoes from the harsh high temps when its 90*F or more in summer.
If you have strawberries, make an arching tunnel over the bed and lay bird netting over it to prevent those pesky birds from eating your harvest before you can.  The same for protecting your blueberry bushes from the birds.
Thanks for those great pictures.  They make your statement.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Supports for plants in and out of beds Empty Hello Jimmy, I have been wanting to plant potatoes with my students at school. I like the cages you created for that. I am concerned about them getting scratchedup. I work with Elemenatary students. I do not want to have to buy large containers due to

Post  Jarrett 1/3/2015, 5:23 pm

jimmy cee wrote:I kinda thought this may be a help to some, so here goes

Last 2 seasons I worked with a roll of wire I picked up at Lowes.
There are many different ways to go on this, let your mind run wild.
Round, square, short square, tall square, etc. etc.
I've found the bottom spikes running into the M.M. has been sufficient for my needs.
Wind, summer storms hasn't affected them at all.
There are smaller squares, and I think larger squares, and a good variation at Lowes.

Here's the roll intactSupports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c21

Here is a round cage cut to fit this container for peppers.Supports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c22

Here are potato cages I made to highSupports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c23

A few square cages for peppers in a cold frame.Supports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c24

A few more.Supports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c25

A round cage that does nicely for cucumbers.Supports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c28

A couple newly made
Supports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c27

Notice the bottom pieces have been snipped to for legs for insertion into MM...This has worked for me.Supports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c29

When first tried this I tied sides together with twine, then discovered pieces can be cut to twist.Supports for plants in and out of beds Wire_c31
Jarrett
Jarrett

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/3/2015, 8:43 pm

Hi Jarret!  Welcome to the forum from rainy Atlanta, GA.

In the tool dept of your local big box store, you should be able to find some dip for tool handles (to increase grip on your tools).  It comes in a variety of colors.  You could use that on the sharp edges to keep from cutting/scratching yourself & students.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 1/3/2015, 11:51 pm

Yes there will definitely be scratched hands and arms..
I had many.
If you want to spend the time there is a way of rounding off the spurs.
Using a fine/medium file and work meticulously it can be done.
Glue sticks may be another method as 2 part epoxy, If children are involved I would do the filing.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Leone 4/28/2016, 7:54 am

Hi Jimmy,

Do the little spikes at the bottom poke through the weed barrier?
Leone
Leone

Female Posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/28/2016, 8:40 am

Leone wrote:Hi Jimmy,

Hi Leone
No, just as long as your MM is around 6 inches, length to first horizontal cross piece is only 4 inches, no need to go below that.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Leone 4/28/2016, 10:20 am

jimmy cee wrote:
Leone wrote:Hi Jimmy,

Hi Leone
No, just as long as your MM is around 6 inches, length to first horizontal cross piece is only 4 inches, no need to go below that.
Okay, thanks! I don't have anything big enough yet, but I might need to make some of these to support our broccoli and some of the things I want to let go to seed that will get kind of tall. Thank you for the great information and pictures.
Leone
Leone

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 4/28/2016, 7:52 pm

glad you\'re here Leone! Would love to have you start a thread and introduce yourself!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Leone 5/1/2016, 2:21 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:glad you\'re here Leone!  Would love to have you start a thread and introduce yourself!
Okay, I will do that soon. There are so many wonderful ideas on this forum. I am enjoying poking around and learning new things every day!
Leone
Leone

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/2/2016, 9:04 pm

Supports for plants in and out of beds 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down