Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots Toplef10Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots I22gcj10Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots Toplef10Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots I22gcj10Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots

+4
Megan
miinva
Retired Member 1
Little Thumb
8 posters

Go down

Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots Empty Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots

Post  Little Thumb 5/3/2010, 4:50 pm

Has anyone ever planted many root veggies? How did they do? What kind of problems did you have?

Little Thumb
Little Thumb

Female Posts : 126

Back to top Go down

Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots Empty Re: Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots

Post  Retired Member 1 5/3/2010, 5:05 pm

Turnips, beets, garlic, onions mainly. This year in the SFG the turnips are tiny tiny. Great green growth, but I don't like turnip greens. Am not doing beets this year. Garlic is doing OK, but not as good as last year in the lasagna bed. I know Mel says it does OK in 6" of soil, but mine seem to like a deeper bed.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots Empty Re: Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots

Post  miinva 5/3/2010, 7:00 pm

We got decent beets and turnips last year, and I even got a kohlrabi that was really happy, but our sweet potatoes were decidedly unhappy, and our carrots suffered carrot fly maggots Sad We're planning to build a bed specifically for sweet potatoes next year that has a lot of sand in it, so we'll see if that helps. I'm hoping to test out companion planting to spare my poor carrots, we'll see how that works.
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/3/2010, 7:16 pm

I am growing potatoes, carrots, and kohlrabi this year. I wanted to do beets but ran out of space. There are onions in with the carrots in hopes of defending them. (No idea if that will work, just read it somewhere.)

Miinva, did you find sweet potato starts somewhere, or just cut up taters from the grocery? Sounds like fun.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 5/3/2010, 7:30 pm

I have bull's blood beets in for the greens. They're beautiful and delicious! Very Happy

Actually I got my sweet potato slips from a sweet 92 year old man who lives down the street from me. We don't have the new bed built for them so I may not get them this year, but I noticed that the guy at the farmer's market I get my heirloom tomatoes from had some sweet potato slips too! That made me really happy, how nerdy am I?! *giggle*
miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/3/2010, 7:40 pm

That would make me really happy, too! For greens this year I am doing Swiss chard and amaranth. Plus hopefully the kohlrabi greens will be usable.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 5/3/2010, 7:43 pm

I don't know how far you are from Locust Grove, but that's where the little farmer's market I get my plants from takes place, Sundays 10:30-3:00. I have a plant list from the guy I get my heirloom tomatoes from if you'd like to see it. Smile
miinva

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/3/2010, 8:14 pm

According to Google, we are about 45 miles north-north-east of Locust Grove, up Route 28. I'd love to see your list.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 5/3/2010, 10:16 pm

I planted beets, carrots, potatoes, kohlrabi, radishes, garlic and onions last year. Only the potatoes, and radishes did well, but that was my fault.

This year, thus far, I have radishes, two kinds of beets, turnips, four kinds of onions, two kinds of potatoes, and 2 kinds of kohlrabi. I will plant more onions, rutabaga, garlic, more beets, more radishes, more turnips, three kinds of carrots,sweet potato, and four more kinds of potatoes.
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/1/2010, 5:43 pm

chocolatepop wrote:This year, thus far, I have radishes, two kinds of beets, turnips, four kinds of onions, two kinds of potatoes, and 2 kinds of kohlrabi. I will plant more onions, rutabaga, garlic, more beets, more radishes, more turnips, three kinds of carrots,sweet potato, and four more kinds of potatoes.

Chocolatepop, do you eat the kohlrabi greens? Only a couple of mine have made heads and I'm wanting to pull them all to make room for a second/fall crop....
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  chocolatepop 7/1/2010, 5:47 pm

no i dont, but mainly because they have been shredded by bugs Sad
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Weed 'em and Reap 7/1/2010, 6:03 pm

In my first year SFG, the radishes didn't do too well - I think I didn't water them enough or something...
This year (my 2nd year SFG), my radishes are doing so awesomely that I went out and bought 1 packet of each radish variety the store offered! They are all doing very well. The only problem I've had with them so far is finding these little inchworm-caterpillar-somethings on them, eating little holes in the leaves. I just picked them off and they were fine.
I've also grown "Short 'N' Sweet" Carrots - they do pretty well, but I've always planted them at the wrong time, so they don't ever do as well as I hope (only about 3 carrots made it last year). Next year, I WILL plant them in the spring. Really, I will! Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots Icon_wink They have about 4" roots, so no need for a high-rise.
Last year's SFG yielded exactly zero onions. However, I planted them way too late and the GA sun was too much for them. This year, I planted them too late again, but they have a little shade and I still have 1 growing. I hope he makes it. Next year, I will probably get onion sets instead of seeds.
Trying beets this year for the first time. Seem to be doing okay so far.
Haven't tried garlic or potatoes yet.
I am intrigued with these other root vegetables. I'm not sure if I've ever eaten them before in my life.
I've heard Kohlrabi tastes like an apple. Is that true? Can you eat it raw? Is it sweet? What does it taste like? Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots Icon_scratch
Same goes for Parsnips, Turnips, and Rutabaga. They sound interesting, and I'd like to grow them, but I'm kind of hesitant to plant some kind of unknown veggie. I guess I'll have to buy some from the grocery store and try them out! Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots Icon_smile
Weed 'em and Reap
Weed 'em and Reap

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/1/2010, 6:50 pm

Weed 'em and Reap wrote:
I am intrigued with these other root vegetables. I'm not sure if I've ever eaten them before in my life.
I've heard Kohlrabi tastes like an apple. Is that true? Can you eat it raw? Is it sweet? What does it taste like? Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots Icon_scratch
Same goes for Parsnips, Turnips, and Rutabaga. They sound interesting, and I'd like to grow them, but I'm kind of hesitant to plant some kind of unknown veggie. I guess I'll have to buy some from the grocery store and try them out! Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots Icon_smile

Definitely try them! This website can be a big help: The Cook's Thesaurus

Kohlrabi to me tastes more like a very mild turnip. You can eat it raw.
Parsnips are like carrots, only sweeter.
Turnips and rutabagas.... rutabagas taste milder, to me. They have a brassica taste to them. Like kohlrabi only stronger. (And yes, I realize I just defined them both in terms of each other, which doesn't help you at all, does it??!! LOL.)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  punaluuSFG 7/2/2010, 5:10 am

Root crops can do well. I've had success with red beets, kohlrabi, carrots, daikon, turnips, sweet potato, etc. The shocker was a two foot long sweet potato that was growing horizontally along the bottom of the box!

Biggest problem for me at the time? Butterflies laying eggs on the leaves, especially the kohlrabi. Fixed that since then with covers over the boxes.

Here's a photo of an early harvest from February 2008. Picked some of 'em young. Couldn't wait!

Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots Rootcr10
punaluuSFG
punaluuSFG

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots Empty My roots

Post  camprn 7/2/2010, 3:42 pm

I am growing red & kennebec potatoes, Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots Jul_0111 rainbow carrots, parsnips, red & gold beets, white onion, shallots. I will be planting garlic later in the season. I don't usually do radish, but I may try some later in the season when I have a square open up.
Turnips, Beets, Kohlrabi, and other roots Jun_2910
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down