Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sourdough Starter Toplef10Sourdough Starter 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sourdough Starter I22gcj10Sourdough Starter 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sourdough Starter Toplef10Sourdough Starter 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sourdough Starter I22gcj10Sourdough Starter 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Sourdough Starter

+7
Kelejan
Marc Iverson
Nonna.PapaVino
AtlantaMarie
CapeCoddess
sanderson
llama momma
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sourdough Starter Empty Sourdough Starter

Post  llama momma 11/20/2014, 1:53 pm

What to do when the garden is finished for the season?   How about filling the kitchen with the smell of baked goodies?  Perhaps rolls, yeast bread, or sour dough bread?  Someone around this forum recommended King Arthur website.  Whoever that was -- Thank You!  I have been enjoying it ever since. 

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/blog/2012/04/05/creating-your-own-sourdough-starter-the-path-to-great-bread/

Last night we enjoyed cinnamon raisin sour dough bread. Then sliced and toasted with butter, delicious stuff!

Sourdough Starter Unname11
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Sourdough Starter Empty Re: Sourdough Starter

Post  sanderson 11/20/2014, 6:01 pm

LM, I book marked this a while back. Winter is a perfect time to start this project. Thanks

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/21/2014, 1:53 am

StartedSourdough Starter Sourdo10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/21/2014, 7:18 am

Nice !  Have cool temperatures at my house (68-70 degrees)so the bowl is on a folded towel sitting on a heating pad set on low with plastic wrap on top like yours . Do you also bake with the discarded starter?  Turns out I'm one of those who can't throw it away, lol.
This is my first time experimenting with sour dough.  I was surprised at the amount of discarded starter produced along the way, But very pleased to find another site with lots of baking ideas for the discard .  I'm trying out a recipe using 2 cups of discarded starter to make waffles this morning.  The 'big prize' of sourdough bread is probably still a couple days away.  Today is only day 6 since I began the original starter.

http://sourdoughsurprises.blogspot.com/2013/09/sourdough-pancakes-and-waffles.html
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/21/2014, 7:56 am

p.s.
It was interesting to learn that starter can be kept alive and ready to use,  not only for years but decades!  I can't imagine doing that much baking..unless  I was getting paid for it.
sfg smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/21/2014, 2:49 pm

Never done this before Laughing I know the starter was treasured by some of the pioneer women as they traveled west.

I'm now looking for whole wheat recipes that call for more than "1/2 cup" of whole wheat or even rye.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/22/2014, 4:07 am

I'll keep my eyes open for any of those recipes.
My starter has slowed way down after bubbling so nicely.  Maybe it peaked and I was waiting and expecting more..?  Have to read about troubleshooting so this morning I put it all in the fridge.  I did mess up the 12 hour feeding regimen and twice it went to 15 hours or so.  So maybe that was part of it too. I'll probably call King Arthur's help line too.
thinking
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/22/2014, 2:35 pm

I've been asking around for a sourdough starter for a while now after failing my first attempt at making my own a couple of years ago. Since you posted this thread I started looking for a gluten free starter and have found many thru google that use water kefir, which I already grow. Easy peasy! Although apparently it needs feeding 3 times a day but should be ready in 4 days or so. I don't know when I will begin a starter as I need to get some brown rice flour, but maybe it will be this week sometime.  I'll keep you updated.

CC
2nd row of vids, 3 one in is the best I've found so far:
http://www.glutenfreesourdough.com/video.php
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/22/2014, 5:01 pm

It'll be fun to watch your progress.  I hadn't even considered a starter could be gluten free.  The learning never stops around here!
Smile
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/22/2014, 5:08 pm

I'm glad you guys started this line.  I got some started about 6 weeks ago.   I'm using a/p flour.  I also set it in an east-facing window during the day.

I'm using the discards for bread & biscuits.  Or I'm giving it away to friends & students who want some.

Kefir water, huh?  I've heard about using yogurt and also potato water...  I've got recipes for those starters if anyone wants them.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5601

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/22/2014, 5:36 pm

It's been awhile since anyone posted in the bread thread.  So once I began the starter, I thought it might be fun to see if anyone else was doing this or was interested in trying.

Twice - late at night and sleepy - I accidentally fed bread flour instead of AP flour
Sad   and briefly panicked til I found a page on the KA site (King Arthur) that said it was ok to use.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/23/2014, 12:08 am

LM, So glad you posted that bread flour was okay. DH accidentally bought it instead of all-purpose. He was so happy that he found KA unbleached that he just grabbed it!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/25/2014, 10:38 am

Yes lots of varieties of flour out there. Laughing

Well, my starter slowed way down. I thought it would peak with even more bubbles but it didn't. It has less bubbles. It's in the refrigerator till I can get back to it and restart it again. I think it has to be fed a minimum of once a week to keep it alive.

At the moment I'm in the middle of making a family favorite. 100 pierogies. (potato filled dumplings) Then I'll get back to the sour dough starter. Anybody still having success with their starter?
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 11/25/2014, 11:13 am

Llama Mama, Trade you a recipe for Basque sourdough pancakes for your pierogies recipe.  BTW, the best way to keep your sourdough starter up and running is to use it...regularly.  Pancakes are a good, quick way to use/refresh your starter.  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/25/2014, 12:35 pm

I used the discard for a second bowl. However, I covered the second bowl with a doubled tea towel and it got a hard, dry crust, so I tossed it. Right now, I have my first test recipe, English muffins, rising after spending the night in the frig. The "starter" is still doing good.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 11/26/2014, 7:30 am

Sure Nona I'd love your Basque pancake recipe!

I downloaded Traditional Ukrainian Pierogies from here because it tasted just like my grandmother's.  She arrived to Ellis Island from Kiev, Ukraine in 1901.

http://www.theblackpeppercorn.com/2013/09traditional-ukrainian-pierogies

This recipe makes about 45 pierogies.

-For the authentic taste I was looking for I also add either 2 tablespoons of cream cheese OR 2 tablespoons sour cream to the dough.

-And instead of cheddar cheese mashed into the potatoes, I use 8 ounces cream cheese, because that's how my grandmother made it.

-Finally, fresh made pierogies only need 2-3 minutes in boiling water, never any longer!   You can also freeze them raw (don't boil first) in a single layer for about 2 hours then throw them in freezer zip lock bags.  About 50 fit into a gallon zip lock bag.  I got two bags in the freezer.   Smile

Please Enjoy and if you have any questions please ask!
LM
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 11/26/2014, 9:49 am

Llama Mama, My dad always said to keep the pancake turner at hand so you can slap these very light 'cakes back on the griddle should they start to float away. 

Basque Sourdough Pancakes

Old Idaho recipe, given many years ago to my parents by a Basque friend of theirs

2 cups sourdough batter

2 eggs, well beaten

3 Tblsp melted fat (butter, bacon fat, etc.)

1 tsp soda

1/3 – 1/2 C sugar (Basque sheepherders eyeball, rather than measure their sugar)

1.         Mix soda with the sugar, set aside.  Stir beaten eggs into sourdough batter, then add the fat.  Mix well and set aside until griddle is ready. 

2.         Preheat griddle and just before baking the pancakes, stir the soda/sugar mixture into the batter.  Let foam up a bit, ladle out batter and bake as usual.

3.         Don’t forget to “feed” your sourdough starter before returning it to the refrigerator.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/26/2014, 11:16 am

mmmmMMMMMmmmm....  Will have to try this!

I noticed that you don't let the starter sit on the counter overnight before doing these.  Interesting... 

I've always been told to take a cup (or 2) out, feed it well, let it sit overnight on the counter, then use the recipe calls for and put the rest in with your starter in the fridge to feed it.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 11/26/2014, 4:52 pm

AtlantaMarie, You are correct, I sent in only the recipe for the pancakes.  When giving the recipe out in print form, there are additional directives at the bottom of the page, thusly:

Note:  Feeding or refreshing your sourdough starter just means adding more water and flour to the batch than will be needed for the next morning’s pancakes.  For instance, for the above recipe, remove your starter from the refrigerator the night before, place it in a mixing bowl (washing up the container in which you keep the starter).  To the starter in your bowl, add 2 cups flour and enough tepid water to make a slightly thick batter.  Cover the bowl and keep it in a warm spot overnight.  The next morning, remove the 2 cups sourdough batter from the bowl to make your recipe.  The rest of the starter goes back into your sourdough crock and into the ‘fridge to await the next baking experience. 

Just remember to use your sourdough at least once a week to keep it at its best.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/29/2014, 9:01 am

Thanks Nonna.PapaVino.  Good to know!

I have a confession to make...

I'll feed my starter in the morning & set it in an east-facing window to warm during the am. 

Well....  I left it there for four... five... (or so!) days w/out doing anything to it.  Embarassed

I got it last night and found that there was a hardened crust over the top.  Once I got that off, the dough underneath had a NICE sour smell to it.  Better than it's been since I started it.  And it was fine. 

Fed it, gave it a little sugar to jump-start things and it looked great this morning.

Angel biscuits & bread coming up... bounce
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/29/2014, 10:29 am

Marie, that poor cat in your avatar looks like it already ate the bread and biscuits.

I haven't started my gluten-free sourdough starter yet. I'm thinking of using some Bob's Red Mill gluten free bread mix that I already have in the cupboard. It comes with a packet of yeast so I'll used kefir instead of yeast. Maybe I'll start that right now. I'll let you know how it goes.  If it doesn't seem to be going well after a couple of days maybe I'll let it crust over like Marie did and see what's underneath. Laughing

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 11/29/2014, 10:46 am

I've been using sourdough since I was a teen--the Basque pancakes were the first.  When I married and moved to the old home place in Texas, where the nearest grocery store was 30-45 minutes away, sourdough bread became almost a necessity.  In wintertime, the sourdough crock sat in a cool place in the kitchen and was used every couple of days, being "fed" and moved to a warm spot each time bread was needed.  Guess what I'm saying is that a sourdough starter isn't a fragile thing, it's amazingly tough.  When in Alaska, I heard of an old-time miner whose mule slipped over a cliff and was killed.  The miner carefully climbed down to the mule to salvage his gear.  Part of the salvage included carefully scraping the sourdough from the broken crock off the mule's hide.  Guess his nearest grocery was even more than 30-45 minutes away!  Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 11/29/2014, 11:36 am

CapeCoddess wrote:Marie, that poor cat in your avatar looks like it already ate the bread and biscuits.

Nope, just the 20 lb turkey!  Wink  Hope it brings everyone a laugh.  We all need some humor in our day!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/29/2014, 2:19 pm

It looks like a catducken.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638