Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: November 2014 Toplef10PNW: November 2014 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: November 2014 I22gcj10PNW: November 2014 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
PNW: November 2014 Toplef10PNW: November 2014 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

PNW: November 2014 I22gcj10PNW: November 2014 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

PNW: November 2014

4 posters

Go down

PNW: November 2014 Empty PNW: November 2014

Post  Marc Iverson 11/4/2014, 7:35 pm

Well, if October was fall-maybe in the PNW, November is fall-for-sure.  Snow isn't quite here yet, but days that don't rise out of the 40's until noon hint that nights well into the mid 30's or lower are soon to be the norm.

Lots of stuff is still thriving, but our rains were making so many of my tomatoes crack that I decided to pull all but a few up.

PNW: November 2014 Dscn5210

Plenty of room now for more leaf crops in there.  I still have some swiss chard transplants surviving, so I'll put them where the tomatoes were.

Made about a gallon of green tomato/green apple chutney.  It's cooling off on the stovetop now.  That hardly made a dent in my green tomatoes, and I've been putting lots of tomatillos in there too, so I am going to have one heck of a lot of chutney this year!  I've got several one-gallon freezer bags of tomatillos to use, too.  That's cool, though.  It came out great last year and freezes well.  But this is going to be a bizarre amount of chutney!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

PNW: November 2014 Empty Re: PNW: November 2014

Post  sanderson 11/5/2014, 2:56 am

This makes me really excited for next spring when I can try tomatoes again, also tomatillos.  Don't know if you remember that I put 2 tomatillos in both of the large pots.  In each pot, one was dominant with the other barely producing flowers.  Next year it will be one per large pot and I will find a full sun area for them.  As far as the tomatoes, I will not rush to get them started.  I don't know why I had curly leaf-infected leaf hoppers, but it was down right embarrassing to live in Fresno and not have tomatoes. Embarassed

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/5/2014, 5:15 pm

I remember your tomatillos doubled up in pots! They are such thirsty plants and can develop big roots. I grew mine in five-gallon-buckets this year, and when I tried to pull them out of the pots, on two of them I had to lift up all the soil with them because the roots suffused every inch of it. They came out a perfect cylinder. I hope you at least got something good out of the dominant plants. I thought you would be in for some trouble with those guys.

Re your leafhoppers -- I think I'm probably bringing in fresh bugs every year when I get plants at the nursery. It only takes one. I really need to grow more of my own seedlings. Could you have brought yours in too?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/9/2014, 12:22 am

We've had a couple half-hearted wind storms already.  It was a good reminder to get things battened down, and the generator test run, before the serious winds show up towards the end of the month.  It's always a treat to get through Thanksgiving dinner before the power goes out.

I had some unusually big broccoli plants this fall planting.   They're big, but showing no sign of heading up.  Don't know why.   They were side by side with more typically sized plants (same variety) that I already harvested, so I don't think it was excess nitrogen.
PNW: November 2014 Dscn5110

Got my second greenhouse nearly ready to use.  I've been having fun just daydreaming about how to best fill up the space.  Unfortunately, a &$%&(&^%^$  mole has already paid a visit.  Mad
PNW: November 2014 Screen10

The last of the fall snow peas.
PNW: November 2014 Dscn5111

Carrots stored for winter.
PNW: November 2014 Dscn5112

My gardens are so sad looking this time of year that it's hard to find nice looking pictures to post!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/9/2014, 2:27 am

boffer wrote:
Got my second greenhouse nearly ready to use.  I've been having fun just daydreaming about how to best fill up the space.  Unfortunately, a &$%&(&^%^$  mole has already paid a visit.  Mad
PNW: November 2014 Screen10
The photo says everything.  What will you have to do?  hardware cloth?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/25/2014, 7:28 pm

It's quiet in the PNW!

We've been getting lots and lots of rain here. I've barely looked at my garden, though I see the red giant mustards that didn't bolt are still doing quite nicely. The heavy rains, or something anyway -- seem to be making them milder than they were in the summer. I like them mild or spicy, though. The color is so cool in a salad.

I haven't checked out my plants at the neighbors' place for quite a while. I'm curious how those red kale plants are doing -- they were beauties last I saw them. I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of them got blown over or even snapped off by some of our winds.

Been very busy doing some business writing for some friends and interning for a publishing company. And some fall clean-up chores around the house and yard. Tomorrow I'll be busy delivering Thanksgiving meals for charity and then making appetizers for a Thanksgiving party at a friend's place.

I'm going through the last of the summer tomatoes. Made fried green tomatoes today, mixing them in with scrambled eggs. I have a few peppers left, a few green and half-ripe tomatoes. Almost everything else, besides a bunch of tomatillos, got turned into chutney.

Hope you folks are all doing well, either gardening or taking a welcome vacation from gardening after the long hot summer!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/29/2014, 1:11 pm

I can't believe I've missed this whole thread. 

Nice tomatoes and tomatillos, Marc! there sure are a lot of them.  How many tomato plants in all?

Boffer, beautiful photos.  Do you eat the broccoli leaves? And how's it going with the new greenhouse in the mole? How do you make it stand up to your high winds?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/29/2014, 1:41 pm

I need to get some more pictures of my broccoli.  They're not looking so good after temps into the teens a couple weeks ago.

Stuffed broccoli leaves

I also juice and freeze them to add to juicing concoctions throughout winter.

I've had mole hills under the weedcloth in my first greenhouse for two years.   I just let them be; haven't twisted an ankle yet!

I have them anchored with 24 inch steel stakes.  Fortunately, so far, so good.  Anything more than that, like posts set in concrete, my tax assessor said he'd hit me up for more taxes for building a 'permanent structure'.  Rolling Eyes
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/29/2014, 2:06 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:I can't believe I've missed this whole thread. 

Nice tomatoes and tomatillos, Marc! there sure are a lot of them.  How many tomato plants in all?

Boffer, beautiful photos.  Do you eat the broccoli leaves? And how's it going with the new greenhouse in the mole? How do you make it stand up to your high winds?

Almost all of them from three tomato plants. The many others I had in buckets gave me some, but were planted late, and I got no tomatoes from anything until the end of August anyway. The ones in the best raised bed I had, only three, did really well once it cooled down. But eventually it cooled down so much that I had a whole lot of green tomatoes after it was too late for any more red ones.

I think I would have gotten pretty much the same results if I had planted seeds at the end of July or beginning of August, since all I grew till the end of August was flowers anyway. And the flowers all dropped off. I just spent an extra two or three months watering like crazy for a lot of plants that weren't going to produce for months anyway. At two to three hours watering daily, I probably wasted somewhere between 50 and 100 hours out in that hot sun for nothing. Next year I will likely do it differently, succession planting more spring plants or even planting a cover crop instead of making way for summer too early.

Now that it's raining so much, I hardly pay attention to the garden anymore. I did pick a nice bunch of mustard leaves yesterday though. I've really come to love red giant mustards. So beautiful and productive, and I don't mind it when the flavor gets sharper than usual, either.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 11/29/2014, 2:42 pm

boffer wrote:

I have them anchored with 24 inch steel stakes.  Fortunately, so far, so good.

You mean like 24" rebar? Do you have any photos of this anchoring?

CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 11/29/2014, 3:09 pm

Steel Stakes

I happen to have  a box of these.  I don't do much concrete work anymore so I figured I might as well use them for gardening.  It's hard to see in the picture, but the stake has a bunch of holes drilled in it for nails or screws to go through.

Re-bar would work, but my native soil is pretty rocky so the pointed end and ¾ inch diameter is a big  advantage.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down