Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
eggplant - The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment Toplef10eggplant - The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

eggplant - The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment I22gcj10eggplant - The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
eggplant - The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment Toplef10eggplant - The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

eggplant - The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment I22gcj10eggplant - The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment

5 posters

Go down

eggplant - The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment Empty The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment

Post  Windmere 10/14/2014, 7:09 pm

Here in the Middle South, at least in Fayetteville, we got a much welcomed drenching.  I went to check on my plants just now and the remaining ones look pretty good.  I thought I'd show you my eggplant.

eggplant - The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment Eggpla10

I was going to clear it out but it suddenly started to make blossoms.  I subsequently gave it a generous amount of 5 compost mix.   Our local bees and butterflies did their job and the above is the result.  I have never successfully raised an eggplant, so I have no idea if this is normal for October.

Also, I'm posting a picture of my asparagus experiment.  I got 12 two year crowns for 2 bucks from Lowe's when they were clearing them out (Mary Washington).  I probably should have gone with a larger male only hybrid... but all of this was an after thought.

eggplant - The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment Eggpla11

The above box has eight of the twelve in it.  I'd say that right now they are about four/five feet high.  I also gave these guys a 5 compost meal.   I think they might be good enough to get through winter, but I can also easily tarp them with this set up.

If anyone has any thoughts on the care of these plants, please feel free to holler.

Last edited by Windmere on 10/14/2014, 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

eggplant - The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment Empty Re: The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment

Post  plantoid 10/14/2014, 7:51 pm

I'm happy for you.

It's been so wet/ cold & miserable over here save for a two week summer in July that even my tomatoes in the glass house struggled to grow .
I have two large Aubergine ( egg plants ) in the glass house that are absolutely covered in flowers and not a hint of a fruit , even though I've been paint brush pollinating them plant to plant , also with tomato and zucchini flowers
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

eggplant - The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment Empty Re: The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment

Post  yolos 10/14/2014, 9:43 pm

Windmere wrote:Here in the Middle South, at least in Fayetteville, we got a much welcomed drenching.  I went to check on my plants just now and the remaining ones look pretty good.  I thought I'd show you my eggplant.

eggplant - The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment Eggpla10

I was going to clear it out but it suddenly started to make blossoms.  I subsequently gave it a generous amount of 5 compost mix.   Our local bees and butterflies did their job and the above is the result.  I have never successfully raised an eggplant, so I have no idea if this is normal for October.

Also, I'm posting a picture of my asparagus experiment.  I got 12 two year crowns for 2 bucks from Lowe's when they were clearing them out (Mary Washington).  I probably should have gone with a larger male only hybrid... but all of this was an after thought.

eggplant - The eggplant that won't stop giving and my asparagus experiment Eggpla11

The above box has eight of the twelve in it.  I'd say that right now they are about four/five feet high.  I also gave these guys a 5 compost meal.   I think they might be good enough to get through winter, but I can also easily tarp them with this set up.

If anyone has any thoughts on the care of these plants, please feel free to holler.

I don't see any flea beetle damage on that eggplant.  They look beautiful.  We got 4 inches of rain last night and today.  We really needed a good soaking rain but that was a little excessive.  But with the MM it quickly drained out of the boxes and left them pleasantly watered.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  TCgardening 10/14/2014, 10:16 pm

I started six eggplants but only planted four. They took a long time to get established and early on we got one tasty eggplant. Then I really thought it was a bust. Late in the summer they start producing and now I am giving them away. We have only found so many ways to  cook them.
 We planted the Rosito variety, which one did you plant?
 Craig
TCgardening
TCgardening

Male Posts : 223

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/14/2014, 11:01 pm

Eggplants can be a pleasant surprise late in the season. Last year was a bust. This year they are still producing. Black beauty and Japanese Millionaire. The nice thing is that they are self pollinating, though a tap or two doesn't hurt! Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 10/14/2014, 11:13 pm

yolos wrote:
Windmere wrote:Here in the Middle South, at least in Fayetteville, we got a much welcomed drenching.  I went to check on my plants just now and the remaining ones look pretty good.  I thought I'd show you my eggplant.

I don't see any flea beetle damage on that eggplant.  They look beautiful.  We got 4 inches of rain last night and today.  We really needed a good soaking rain but that was a little excessive.  But with the MM it quickly drained out of the boxes and left them pleasantly watered.
Yolos, it's interesting that you bring up flea beetles.  There were actually some old leaves that were pretty lacy.  They turned yellow and eventually completely dried.  My daughter brushed off the dead leaves just a few days ago.  The new leaves are very thick and strong (and velvety).  I did apply a diluted water/soap mix a couple times.  There is still an occasional beetle, but I can manage them ok.  The low branches of the plant are pretty bare...  there was a stage when those beetles were pretty unrelenting.

Glad to hear you got some good rain too.  I was thrilled.  Yep, all of my beds drained well too.   I'm hoping to plant some cold hearty lettuce tomorrow... the soil will be perfect for those seeds.

Sanderson, I did not know eggplants were self pollinators.  Ah well, I suppose the winged pollinators didn't hurt.  The bumble bees are especially fond of this plant's flowers.

Last edited by Windmere on 10/14/2014, 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 10/14/2014, 11:28 pm

TCgardening wrote:I started six eggplants but only planted four. They took a long time to get established and early on we got one tasty eggplant. Then I really thought it was a bust. Late in the summer they start producing and now I am giving them away. We have only found so many ways to  cook them.
 We planted the Rosito variety, which one did you plant?
 Craig
Hi Craig.  Glad to hear you had some good results!  So far all we've made with them is eggplant parmesan and baba ganoush.  This is a Black Beauty.  I will confess that I also planted some Japanese eggplants, but those died shortly after being dicimated by flea beetles.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down