Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England September 2014 - Page 5 Toplef10New England September 2014 - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England September 2014 - Page 5 I22gcj10New England September 2014 - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England September 2014 - Page 5 Toplef10New England September 2014 - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England September 2014 - Page 5 I22gcj10New England September 2014 - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England September 2014

+13
mollyhespra
johnp
AtlantaMarie
yolos
camprn
cpl100
sanderson
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
quiltbea
jimmy cee
NHGardener
RJARPCGP
17 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

New England September 2014 - Page 5 Empty Re: New England September 2014

Post  NHGardener 9/23/2014, 7:38 pm

Ooh, nice cabbage. Lyndeeloo, how did you keep the cabbage worm off it? Those are such nice looking heads. I tried cabbage once but the loopers got to it and I didn't try it again. Fermenting cabbage sounds like something new and interesting to learn.

Look guys! I picked dried beans this afternoon!
New England September 2014 - Page 5 Driedb11
New England September 2014 - Page 5 Driedb12

(Sorry for the blurry - one of these days...)

I planted 8 squares as a trial this summer and they worked out great. They were so fun to shell and see what color was inside. Next summer I'm going to plant a ton more because they keep really well and they make such great soups. 

Also, last night I cut open the biggest, best watermelon (the other 2 were small and so-so) and it was delicious. It was tough keeping the vine alive long enough to produce a good sized small watermelon, but that one was really good. 

Also picked an eggplant today and put it in the dinner's spaghetti sauce. There are another 2-3 eggplants out there.

Now that we had our one hit of frost, the weather warms up, as usual. It's so worth it to cover on the early frost because after that you get a lot more growing time. My cucumbers totally bit the dust in that frost, I miss them. 

Still getting a handful of green beans every few days, the cherry tomatoes continue to turn red. The weeds in the garden right now are pretty heavily asters, which the bees are desperate about since it's about the last thing available for them, so I'm not doing any weeding yet.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 9/24/2014, 7:27 am

sanderson wrote:Lyndeeloo,  When did you plant the seeds or seedlings?  They are beautiful.
Hi Sanderson! Some I bought and some I started indoors. I planted the end of May but they seemed to take a long time to really get going. Seems like it took forever for them to form heads, then all of a sudden I could see little cabbages forming. They were easy to grow and required no attention. Once in a while I'd pull off the yellow leaves underneath. I planted some purple cabbage too, they are still small but look and taste great in slaw.

Hi NHG! I covered the bed with cicada netting and not a worm on them at all! I am very pleased with how they turned out. A definite for next year. I also planted black beans this year and was thrilled with the result. Will do those again, I like the idea of having the dried beans in the pantry.
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 9/24/2014, 8:43 am

Lyndeeloo - I guess cabbages don't need pollination, like lettuce. Never thought of keeping them perpetually covered. Good clue.

Does anyone know if you can save watermelon seeds? I have a million of them from my watermelon but wasn't sure if it was one of those cross-pollination things.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/24/2014, 7:28 pm

Cool beans!  One day I'll have the space for those.

Ate a Super Beefsteak today.  Been waiting all summer for one of those...and it was SO worth it! Only one more ripening.  

I gave a friend 2 ground cherry seedlings back in spring and he's been giving me baggies full of the ftuits all summer.  My 5 plants have only given me a handful.  I'm blaming the weather because I know it's not the plants.
We're supposed to get over an inch of rain tomorrow... rofl ...so I didn't water today.

Jeopardy time!  Nite all...

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/25/2014, 9:17 am

Late blight has started to take a toll. I harvested 25 pounds of mostly green tomatoes and disassembled my tomato trellises this morning. All the tomato plants are getting chopped up and tossed into the compost heap.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

New England September 2014 - Page 5 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/25/2014, 3:32 pm

Ahoy fruitees...Walshevak posted in her fig thread & that reminded me that I needed to plant my cutting-sprouted figs, so I did it just now during lunch since it's overcast & drizzly out. 

In last years squash garden, up against the rhodie hedge & facing SE: New England September 2014 - Page 5 Sept_211  Maybe some year the winter squash will grow up it. 
What a Face

The other one is up against the SW side of house: New England September 2014 - Page 5 Sept_212
Got my fingers crossed, but come late fall I'll stick a few more trimmed pieces from the big potted mother plant into a bucket of compost in case it doesn't work.  That's what I did last year & these 2 babies are the result! I love you

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/25/2014, 7:18 pm

I harvested and ate for dinner my first Mikado turnips. They were very tasty so I just sowed some more in the beds that I removed the tomato plants from. Also sowed some bok choy and rapini, I'm not really holding out too much hope for them, but I thought I would give it a whirl.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

New England September 2014 - Page 5 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/25/2014, 7:23 pm

Were the turnip greens good also?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/25/2014, 7:44 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:Were the turnip greens good also?
they went into compost as they were riddled with holes from the late cabbage worms.
mikado turnips

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/26/2014, 3:38 am

CC, Do you have any concerns that the figs may be a little too close to the foundation? Their roots can be a little invasive.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenGroupie 9/26/2014, 6:55 am

camprn wrote:Late blight has started to take a toll. I harvested 25 pounds of mostly green tomatoes and disassembled  my tomato trellises this morning. All the tomato plants are getting chopped up and tossed into the compost heap.

Camprn, you put plants that have blight in your compost? I'm getting reading to take down my plants this weekend, but I was hesitant about that.
GardenGroupie
GardenGroupie

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/26/2014, 8:56 am

GardenGroupie wrote:
camprn wrote:Late blight has started to take a toll. I harvested 25 pounds of mostly green tomatoes and disassembled  my tomato trellises this morning. All the tomato plants are getting chopped up and tossed into the compost heap.

Camprn, you put plants that have blight in your compost? I'm getting reading to take down my plants this weekend, but I was hesitant about that.
Yes. IT is late in the season and any nearby tomato plants will either likely already be infected or done with production. The late blight fungus only survives on living tissue. The vines will die and not be a viable host for the survival of the late blight.
A very informative FAQ:
http://www.longislandhort.cornell.edu/vegpath/lbfaq.pdf

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 9/26/2014, 10:25 am

camprn wrote:
GardenGroupie wrote:

Yes. IT is late in the season and any nearby tomato plants will either likely already be infected or done with production. The late blight fungus only survives on living tissue. The vines will die and not be a viable host for the survival of the late blight.
A very informative FAQ:

Camprn - that was an excellent article on late blight.  If you ever see an article that comprehensive on early blight I would love to read it.  I searched the Cornell website but could not find anything that good.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 9/26/2014, 11:36 am

In case this question comes up again, I think it's safe to save the watermelon seeds and plant next year because there were no other types of watermelon grown. Cross-pollination might occur if you have more than one type of watermelon, but I don't think I'll have to worry about that.

One of these sugar baby watermelons contains more seeds than you could ever use... Still trying perfect growing of watermelons, because each vine only produced one watermelon.

Has anyone in this region had any luck with cantaloupe, or sweet potatoes? Sure would love to grow sweet potatoes. I do believe they can be grown here, but slips don't arrive till I believe mid-June, and then they need a lot of degree days. Scary.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/26/2014, 12:30 pm

yolos wrote:
camprn wrote:
GardenGroupie wrote:

A very informative FAQ:

Camprn - that was an excellent article on late blight.  If you ever see an article that comprehensive on early blight I would love to read it.  I searched the Cornell website but could not find anything that good.
Oki DOki, I'll keep my eyes peeled! Shocked Wink

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/26/2014, 12:33 pm

sanderson wrote:CC,  Do you have any concerns that the figs may be a little too close to the foundation?  Their roots can be a little invasive
I read somewhere that putting it near the foundation would be like part of the 'boxed in hole' that it's suggested a fig be planted in. 
idk

On the left side of the baby fig is a group of shasta daisies and if you've ever tried to pull them up...well, that would be another side of the 'box'.  A third side is the lawn. 

I may have a problem with the one behind the squash garden as there are no barriers except builders sand on all 4 sides of the hole of compost I made for it.  We'll see.  If there's a problem down the line, I have no qualms about pulling things up and moving them or tossing them. 
neener

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/26/2014, 1:02 pm

Some early blight info.
http://www.extension.org/pages/29878/early-blight-management-for-organic-tomato-production#.VCWbBPldWSo

http://extension.umaine.edu/ipm/ipddl/publications/5087e/

http://buckshort.blogspot.com/2009/09/can-i-compost-those-diseased-tomato.html

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenGroupie 9/26/2014, 1:22 pm

Very strange. I took on a new job a few weeks ago and my garden was going straight to hell in hand basket. I had a La Roma III that stopped growing in July (as typically expected from a determinate variety). I wasn't too thrilled with the yield or quality. Today I went out to look at my dying plants and that little fool of a plant had started growing again. Go figure!!!

I did, however, get a very nice carrot yield and quality. I was surprised as I was whining here a few weeks ago about forked, alien looking things that resembled carrots. My next pick was a very nice surprise. I'll try and post pics later. 

Nice weekend coming up! Time for apple sauce.
GardenGroupie
GardenGroupie

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 9/26/2014, 6:40 pm

GardenGroupie....Some determinates will bloom again later and if the season was longer, you'd get another harvest of fruits.
I planted 3 Oregon Spring tomatoes one year (they are an early crop) that did great and I was going to remove them, but got busy with other things and left them growing.  In late Sept they were producing blossoms again and by Oct I had tiny green tomatoes growing.  If only my season had been another month longer, I'd have had nearly ripe fruit I could harvest and allow to ripen on the kitchen counter.
You might try planting a determinate in a pot and when the season comes to an end, bring the plant indoors so the greens can ripen.  That, too, works.  Been there, done that.  I don't know if all deters rebloom, but I know Oregon Springs do.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/26/2014, 8:24 pm

Better Bush does too. The second and third blooms can be pretty good, too. They tend to have more fruit than the first, but maybe that has to do with our weather conditions. The first round comes when the summer is so hot that most of the blossoms are dropping off.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenGroupie 9/27/2014, 8:20 am

quiltbea wrote:GardenGroupie....Some determinates will bloom again later and if the season was longer, you'd get another harvest of fruits.
I planted 3 Oregon Spring tomatoes one year (they are an early crop) that did great and I was going to remove them, but got busy with other things and left them growing.  In late Sept they were producing blossoms again and by Oct I had tiny green tomatoes growing.  If only my season had been another month longer, I'd have had nearly ripe fruit I could harvest and allow to ripen on the kitchen counter.
You might try planting a determinate in a pot and when the season comes to an end, bring the plant indoors so the greens can ripen.  That, too, works.  Been there, done that.  I don't know if all deters rebloom, but I know Oregon Springs do.

Thanks Quiltbea. Unfortunately, I'm not able to bring plants inside. I have cats that eat anything green and can't even have house plants. Our first frost is due in a few weeks, so whatever fruit it bares will get cut up and straight to the compost bin. As a determinate, it should have been one of the first the yield, but it was the last. My Yellow Taxis, on the other hand, produced early with good yield. Very nice tomato with a reliable shape and taste.
GardenGroupie
GardenGroupie

Back to top Go down

Post  GardenGroupie 9/27/2014, 8:26 am

Marc Iverson wrote:Better Bush does too.  The second and third blooms can be pretty good, too.  They tend to have more fruit than the first, but maybe that has to do with our weather conditions.  The first round comes when the summer is so hot that most of the blossoms are dropping off.

Yeah, but I think it might too late in the season for a second bath as the frost will be hitting hear soon and took forever for tomatoes to ripen. I loose hours of sun in September, because of where my garden is situated. I've now got about six good hours of direct sunlight.
GardenGroupie
GardenGroupie

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 9/27/2014, 1:22 pm

GardenGroupie wrote:Thanks Quiltbea. Unfortunately, I'm not able to bring plants inside. I have cats that eat anything green and can't even have house plants. Our first frost is due in a few weeks, so whatever fruit it bares will get cut up and straight to the compost bin.

Shame to waste those, when you could make such a good chutney out of them, fry them up, or give them to someone who likes green tomatoes. My green tomatoes were a treasure last year, and I wanted to grow some extra plants just for the green ones this year(but my first round of tomato plants died).
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/27/2014, 2:02 pm

I have about 2 dzn green tomatoes left to ripen. What doesn't ripen by first frost, will be picked and then laid out flat in a box and stuck in the corner of the living room to ripen. This works perfectly.

I also potted up a small volunteer tomato plant, parsley & collards as well as planted some ginger root for the indoor winter garden. Potting up kale, lettuce and basil will be next but not yet. I can still bucket the basil over during cold spells.

Today's harvest:New England September 2014 - Page 5 Img_2071
New England September 2014 - Page 5 Image10

Dang...I do believe I getting a bit of a sunburn on these white legs out here...76 and not a cloud in the sky. Sposed to be hotter tomorrow. The cukes, tomatoes and peppers are loving this.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 9/27/2014, 6:14 pm

CC - What do you mean by potting up kale? Do you pull it from the garden, keeping roots and soil intact, and transplant it into a pot and bring it indoors?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next