Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California folks - y'all okay? Toplef10California folks - y'all okay? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California folks - y'all okay? I22gcj10California folks - y'all okay? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California folks - y'all okay? Toplef10California folks - y'all okay? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California folks - y'all okay? I22gcj10California folks - y'all okay? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California folks - y'all okay?

5 posters

Go down

California folks - y'all okay? Empty California folks - y'all okay?

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/24/2014, 10:02 am

Just checking on everyone.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

California folks - y'all okay? Empty Re: California folks - y'all okay?

Post  sanderson 8/24/2014, 12:58 pm

Audrey and I are fine.  That would mean Keeper should be fine, also. Is there something in the news?

Edit: Okay, I'm watching the news and see that the Bay Area (North of San Francisco specifically) was hit by a hard earth quake. Jolts and waves. That would affect Mazzy (East Bay), and possibly Yardslave (So of Bay Area but still near the long coastal fault lines zone). Daughter moved from the quake area a month or so ago!! Talk about timing.  Very Happy 

I didn't feel it in the middle of the night because Fresno is in the Central Valley which is like a bowl of jello between 2 mountain ranges. Audrey is in the foot hills of the inner Sierra Mts. Yardslave is in the Coastal Mts area.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 8/24/2014, 5:28 pm

Unless you have the luck of the draw to be in a particularly bad spot at the time -- like somewhere that pipes broke or power went out or a freeway overpass got damaged -- Californians tend to shrug off most quakes. When I lived there for almost 30 years, I wouldn't even get out of bed for most of them. Occasionally I would get under a door frame or desk if things got really bad, but mostly I either ignored quakes or quickly turned off or unplugged running appliances so they wouldn't get zapped by a power surge.

Of course, there is the rare person who gets hurt, and occasionally someone especially unlucky has some property damage, but considering the massive number of quakes throughout California every year, I found it hard to get very excited about them. Sometimes when you're in a car you can't even feel them.

Hope nobody was one of the unlucky ones this time.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 8/24/2014, 6:57 pm

Late last year, there was one in SC that we felt in Atlanta.  I had just gone to bed when it came thru.  Got up quickly!!!  DH asked if I felt it too.  We decided that it must have been a quake.  Newsies confirmed it a few moments later.

First one I've ever felt.  Very disconcerting...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 8/24/2014, 7:56 pm

Earthquakes are interesting - they generally have a very small serious impact area, even as small as a few miles across.  Then even though they might be felt two hours drive away it isn't damaging.

We live in an area that doesn't have earthquakes though they are possible if there are undiscovered fault lines or "dormant" faults that wake up.  I haven't felt a single tremor since we moved here in 2003.  So all's well at our home.  

I felt a couple of 6.0s when living in San Diego - they will definitely get your attention.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/24/2014, 9:17 pm

Audrey, A 6.0?   What a Face  I like Marie's description of "disconcerting."

Marc, I have a cartoon regarding earthquakes but it's boxed up, somewhere. Office scene, office workers running all over the place, one man calmly sitting at his desk doing his work. Caption: Guess who is the Californian.

For those who are interested: Bing "map California fault lines." The second photo shows a large white area running up the center NNW to SSE. This is the bowl of jello or sedimentary fill from the erosion of the western coastal and eastern Sierra mountain ranges. This is the big bowl of jello to which I keep referring. We just shimmy. This white area is also the 'bread basket' of the US. Audrey is in the lower western Sierra foothills. The Mammoth fault line is all the way over the mountains on the eastern slope. So we are in good locations.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 8/27/2014, 11:32 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:Unless you have the luck of the draw to be in a particularly bad spot at the time -- like somewhere that pipes broke or power went out or a freeway overpass got damaged -- Californians tend to shrug off most quakes.  When I lived there for almost 30 years, I wouldn't even get out of bed for most of them.  Occasionally I would get under a door frame or desk if things got really bad, but mostly I either ignored quakes or quickly turned off or unplugged running appliances so they wouldn't get zapped by a power surge.

Of course, there is the rare person who gets hurt, and occasionally someone especially unlucky has some property damage, but considering the massive number of quakes throughout California every year, I found it hard to get very excited about them.  Sometimes when you're in a car you can't even feel them.

Hope nobody was one of the unlucky ones this time.
I echo Marc's hopes.  I can also vouch for his comments.  Having grown up in Los Angeles...  I never got out of bed for an earthquake EXCEPT the Northridge/North Hills earthquake in 1994.  I pulled my legs up in a "knee jerk" reaction as I bolted up from a deep sleep..  and then immediately heard a loud crash of something hitting my bed.  It ended up being a heavy book case full of huge text books.  If I hadn't pulled up my legs... they would have been broken for sure.

For some reason...  the tornado storms of the south a more terrifying to us.  There are more of them and they are so ominous.  My wife says, "Well, with an earthquake, its over in an instant.  Here we sit and watch the storms slowly approach and we get ourselves all worked up."  I guess the only thing that makes a tornado storm better is that you can sort of predict them.

Really, there is no such thing as a "better" natural disaster is there?  I guess the only difference is what you are more used to.
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum