Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 Toplef10My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 I22gcj10My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 Toplef10My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 I22gcj10My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My SFG using hula hoops for net support

+37
TN_GARDENER
luckypenne
BluEwe
Kelejan
ericam
RoOsTeR
plantoid
CapeCoddess
thegreatcob
gregrenee88
walshevak
carolintexas
elliephant
Theresa
aspiegardner
Saartje
jerzyjen
quiltbea
new2this
boffer
timwardell
LindainWarwickNY
Shoda
jenjehle
aptgardengirl
sceleste54
titans01
1chichi
timcos
nancy
Bec
JillinGA
camprn
Mirjam
Leighfluver
Wyldflower
rosiejoe
41 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 Empty Re: My SFG using hula hoops for net support

Post  jerzyjen 5/3/2010, 10:36 pm

wow those are really really cool! I bent plain old boring white pvc around rebar and its not pretty like that. The stuff inside the box looks pretty too My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
jerzyjen
jerzyjen

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 Empty Lovely idea, must remember it!

Post  Saartje 5/4/2010, 8:19 am

What a lovely idea! At the moment I don't have the classic wood boarded SFG, I just put old bricks in a square to demarcate the garden, and it's only 2 feet wide. But when I expand to 4x4 boxes in wood, I must remember to do this.

Fantastic looking garden!
Saartje

Female Posts : 18

Back to top Go down

My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 Empty Re: My SFG using hula hoops for net support

Post  aspiegardner 5/4/2010, 10:12 am

Awesome idea and I will be doing this soon. Not planting time here yet another week or so.

For netting ideas if you are in the states you can get fine tulle fabric or the wider hole netting at any fabric store for around .90 a yard or less.

It would come in all kinds of colors and be a bit stretchy.

It comes 60-96" wide and as many yards long as you want. So very very economical.

My daughter painted pictures on all her boxes last year and will paint more on the new boxes I'm hoping to get done. At the minium I need to build the strawberry tower.
aspiegardner

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/4/2010, 12:41 pm

I used some spare white tulle over my chicken wire cages last year and it worked well but cheesecloth is recommended by several Master Gardeners as shade cloth so I got some this year on sale and did away with the chicken wire cages.
Those cages were alright, but the sharp points caught any fabric you put over it. It was a mess trying to remove them.
That's why I got wire clothes hangers this year for small 1-foot and 2-foot squares and even 4 squares in a row.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Theresa 5/4/2010, 10:17 pm

I love your hoops! What a great idea!! Very PRETTY!!
Theresa

FOUNDER SFG forum 2009

certified SFG instructor

Female Posts : 211

Back to top Go down

My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 Empty I wondered about tulle! Thanks for suggesting it.

Post  LindainWarwickNY 5/5/2010, 2:55 am

You would be proud of us, husband and I both got off the couch yesterday and went out to our garden area. I wanted to put a bit of Mel's Mix recipe around the edge of my garden spot for when my blackberries, dewberries, rasperberries arrive. They will be supported on our wire fence so that they can't get away from where they are suppose to be. I didn't make it as rich a recipe as for the 4x4 bed, but I think it will be fine.

Since I had husband make the garden spot larger, he had to put more boards around the border and then add more fencing to them. I was putting weed barrier ontop of the mounded dirt alongside the fence when I realized I didn't have enough. I quickly left hubby and drove back to Lowe's and got a bunch more.
It was getting dark by the time I got back home and husband had hung some flourescent lights to finish what he was doing. I didn't have time to put the rest of the weed barrier ontop of the rest of my mounds, so I had hubby quickly help me to put the black plastic down over the whole garden until we could work on it in the daylight. It was not a moment too soon either, as the trees have leaves on them now and the locust buds will be right around the corner!

We got the hula hoops today and tomorrow will carefully pull back the black plastic, put the rest of the weed barrier over my mounds, and then down on the middle of the garden spot and then have hubby put the wooden frame in place. I had bought one from Sam's Club that just didn't look quite nice, so he will put it in his garden spot which is farther from view. Aren't I nice? Hee hee! The other one I had bought from Lowe's turned out to be dark brown and I thought it was going to be a lighter cement color, so I was really disappointed in it and so he is going to take it back. It's still in the box. So now we will go with what I wanted to begin with and have him put the wood box together for me. We already have the 2 inch x 10 inch wood cut in four foot peices, so it should be a snap for him to drill the holes and insert wood screws. Especially after I showed him a video clip of the "Garden Girl" doing it herself. I'm so bad! I made a point of showing him your beautiful and colorful wood boxes, netting and hula hoops and he really got motivated to help me. So, tomorrow, or I should say, later today since it is 2:52 AM here, we will get back to our project. I can't wait to start planting. I have some of the dark bird netting, but think I might go look at some tulle. We saw a wild turkey in our yard today. Thank heaven we put the black plastic down in the garden or it might have flown right into the middle of it and made a mess of everything!
LindainWarwickNY

Female Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 Empty Your vegetables look awesome!

Post  LindainWarwickNY 5/5/2010, 3:04 am

I'm drooling looking at all of your wonderful vegetables! Glad you shared with us what all you have planted.
LindainWarwickNY

Female Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 5/8/2010, 5:44 pm

Looks great and I just saw hula hops at Dollar Tree today!
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 Empty Hula hoops!

Post  carolintexas 5/8/2010, 6:34 pm

I love this idea! I went out this morning to take a photo of my two first red strawberries and they were gone! I'm guessing the birds got there before I did. On my way to buy hula hoops and tulle...thanks a million for this idea!
carolintexas

Female Posts : 84

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 10/10/2012, 10:31 am

I Just got back from Dollar General and they had all their gardening stuff on sale 75% off and the had HULA HOOPS for 30 cents. I bought all 8. I got my shipment of REEMAY last week and as soon as the rain stops I can double hoop my fall beds - hula hoops and pvc pipes. Also go some pots for what ever and some sprinkler heads for my flower beds

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 10/10/2012, 11:06 am

Would you post some pics once you have the hoops up?
Renee
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post  thegreatcob 10/10/2012, 3:29 pm

there are several pictures on thread with hoops up.
thegreatcob
thegreatcob

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/10/2012, 3:39 pm

I'm heading to the $1 store tonite! Hope there's some left. *crossing my fingers*

My neighbors are gonna FREAK! Razz

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/10/2012, 6:54 pm

Having just caught this thread I like the idea .

It crosses my mine that for those who don't have wooden bed boards and/or want something with more height.
It would be fairly simple to get some one inch black or blue domestic dwelling water supply pipe and after finding a bar that fits inside it hammer a pair of bars for each hoop in the ground leaving a stub of say six or so inches out the ground and slip a measured length of the water pipe over the protuding bar ends

If you are on a concrete base perhaps hammerdrill in a 15 mm ( 1/2 inch hole ) for each bar so if needs be it can eventually be pulled out when a bed is moved etc.

If you need more strength in the arch see if you can get hold of some old thick carbon fibre tent poles or similar from your local freecycle group & insert these in the pipes.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 10/11/2012, 9:19 am

gregrenee88 wrote:Would you post some pics once you have the hoops up?
Renee

Here's one example from the first page of the thread:
My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 Dsc03014
Hula hoops

Pretty crafty idea.

My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  gregrenee88 10/11/2012, 1:23 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:
gregrenee88 wrote:Would you post some pics once you have the hoops up?
Renee

Here's one example from the first page of the thread:
My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 Dsc03014
Hula hoops

Pretty crafty idea.

And very colorful!!!
gregrenee88
gregrenee88

Female Posts : 280

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam 10/12/2012, 4:21 pm

That's so cool!

I don't have a need of hoops here but we're looking at moving to a regional area and I would then have to start dealing with frosts so I might need to do this for frost protection!
ericam
ericam

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/12/2012, 4:44 pm

We have ouple of dollar stores in our town but neither have any hula loops, let alone on sale.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 Empty Hula hoops

Post  BluEwe 10/15/2012, 12:10 pm

Thanks for sharing this kewlness!
BluEwe
BluEwe

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/15/2012, 5:05 pm

Flexible conduit in the electrical section of the hardware store is an alternative for those unable to find a great deal on the hula hoops.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

My SFG using hula hoops for net support - Page 2 Empty Double Rainbow All.The.Way!!

Post  luckypenne 10/24/2012, 6:12 pm

How much fun is that?! Wink We make our own hula hoops out of irrigation tubing (look for 3/4" 160PSI-professional adult weight, and grab some connectors if you plan on playing with them out of season!) 100 ft. costs about $20 at Home Depot and yields approx. 8 hoops of average size; decorate to match your SFG color scheme. Cheers!
luckypenne
luckypenne

Certified SFG Instructor

https://facebook.com/SowSeedsofLove

Back to top Go down

Post  TN_GARDENER 10/25/2012, 7:32 pm

Kelejan wrote:We have ouple of dollar stores in our town but neither have any hula loops, let alone on sale.

Hula hoops are probably a seasonal (spring/summer) item. PVC pipe is probably cheaper, anyway. The 1/2 and 3/4 inch PVC pipe out to work just fine and it's probably a little sturdier, too.

Hoops are on my to-do list this weekend (cold front coming through next week).
TN_GARDENER

Back to top Go down

Post  Tris 3/6/2013, 4:53 pm

Any update on how these are lasting?
3/4 pvc is 6 bucks a pole here Shocked
Tris
Tris

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 3/6/2013, 6:22 pm

I use the 1/2" ..it is about $3.50 for 10 ft here.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Tris 3/6/2013, 6:29 pm

CindiLou wrote:I use the 1/2" ..it is about $3.50 for 10 ft here.
Oh good to know! It seemed so stiff when I tried it, but if it'll bend than good Very Happy
Tris
Tris

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next