Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sowing seeds directly into beds Toplef10Sowing seeds directly into beds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sowing seeds directly into beds I22gcj10Sowing seeds directly into beds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Sowing seeds directly into beds Toplef10Sowing seeds directly into beds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Sowing seeds directly into beds I22gcj10Sowing seeds directly into beds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Sowing seeds directly into beds

5 posters

Go down

Sowing seeds directly into beds Empty Sowing seeds directly into beds

Post  castoral 5/2/2010, 8:36 am

I feel like this is such a dumb question, but I have to ask. What is the "proper" way to directly sow seeds in your raised beds?

The reason I ask is because on Easter I planted several things, carrots, lettuce, spinach, etc. I planted a few per "hole" - so spinach was 16 per square, but then in each of the 16 "holes" I put two or three seeds thinking it was like starting seeds...if two came up, you just picked all but the strongest plant.

Problem is, only about a fourth of the plants have come up at all. The ones that have look like they are doing great, but there is a lot of bare spots in the sqaures.

So should I wait? Or should I replant? Or what?

Thanks!
castoral

Female Posts : 34

http://livinglargeonadime.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Sowing seeds directly into beds Empty Re: Sowing seeds directly into beds

Post  camprn 5/2/2010, 8:45 am

No dumb questions here. Did you follow the label instruction for depth of planting? You did not indicate your location, it could be the soil is too cool still. You do not want to over water at this point. When I plant the things you mentioned, I usually just prep the soil mix and let fall a good amount of seed in the square, not a lot, but not in holes or little rows either. Then I cover the seed with the mix to get the suggested depth on the seed packet. Then I lightly water. When the seedlings begin to emerge and have their first true leaves I thin the seedlings. In the end I will have the number of plants per square that I want. Go ahead and put in a few more seeds now and see what happens. Good luck. Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Sowing seeds directly into beds Empty Just my opinion

Post  mjk12 5/2/2010, 9:24 am

Years ago on the PBS SFG show, I believe that Mel said to use small scissors to thin out the excess sprouts, as you don't want to disturb the root system. I would go with that advice above all.

Having said that, there are times that I carefully worked some new excess sprouts out to thin and replanted them in the bare spots and they worked out just fine.
mjk12

Back to top Go down

Post  castoral 5/2/2010, 11:15 am

Thank you for the reply. I'm in the very northern tip of 5a (Dayton,Ohio). I did follow the directions according to depth, and the seeds all were all to be sown during cooler weather. I've held off plant any varieties that said to wait for frost free period, those will be planted over the next week. All of these stated something along the lines of "early spring/as soon as soil can be worked/etc." They are all getting full sun as directed. The only thing I can think of is watering. We've had quite a bit of rain here, some rather hard downpours. I've been a little worried they were getting TOO much water, but I wasn't sure what I could do to prevent that. On the other days, I water lightly at night before heading inside for the night.

Anyway, thanks for the reply. I guess I will try to replant in the bare spots while I get the rest of my garden going throughout this week. I'll just sprinkle th whole area with some seeds, cover it with 1/2" mix (most call for 1/2" depth) and thin out later. Thanks!
castoral

Back to top Go down

Sowing seeds directly into beds Empty Sowing seeds directly into beds

Post  janetgouvas 5/2/2010, 11:43 am

I had the same problem with some of my seeds. I concluded that some of the seeds were birdfood. They just didn't find them all so I'll use precausions the next time. Some, the zuccini and green beans, came up a lot later than they should have. The same thing happened last year with my watermelons. After I replanted everything came up at once. Possibly, I planted too deep. This year my zuccini didn't sprout so I bought plants and put them in instead. Then the seeds popped up and I now have to move them to other places. I"m going to have a lot of squash, God willin' and the white flies don't rise Sowing seeds directly into beds Icon_exclaim

Janet
Surprise, Az.
janetgouvas

Female Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 5/2/2010, 3:23 pm

According to Mel's spacing, spinach is 9 per square foot. With good germination rates, one needn't plant more than 1-2 seeds per "hole." Yes, using scissors to thin extra seedlings works well.

I believe I've been guilty of planting some seeds too deeply. This year, my cats managed to scatter and/or dig my broccoli seeds more deeply, so I re-planted. The result? Three or four plants in one square! And no good place to move them to.

Fortunately, the compost-fortified Mel's Mix in that bed was kind to the brocolli, and I'm harvesting the best crop ever of this vegetable. I plan to experiment by steaming or sauteeing some of the leaves. The remainder will go into my compost tumbler.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  castoral 5/3/2010, 12:50 pm

Yes, the spinach spacing was 9 per sq foot. I didn't have my garden layout in front of me. ;P

Hopefully the rain holds off tonight and I'm going to replant some seeds. I'd rather have to trim back a bunch of extra seedlings than only have 2 or 3 plants come in per sq ft and have a bunch of unused space! I hadn't really thought of the birds...don't think it's an issue since I've never seen birds around the planters, but maybe a possibility.

Hopefully this time they all come up!
castoral

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down