Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care Toplef10Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care I22gcj10Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care Toplef10Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care I22gcj10Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Peat Pots and Peat Pellets
by GreenScienx_Sug Today at 5:50 am

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care

+8
GWN
camprn
AtlantaMarie
Chopper
Marc Iverson
Mikesgardn
martha
llama momma
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care Empty Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care

Post  llama momma 6/22/2014, 9:49 am

When June Bearing Strawberries are finished for the season, the crop is suppose to be renovated.  I'm getting ready to renovate again this year.  Does anyone else do this?  I don't recall Mel mentioning it in the book, rather, one method he described is to replace all the plants after a couple of years.

Also, this article says up to a quart of strawberries can be harvested from one plant.  Really? I don't get that kind of yield!  Do you?  That line of thinking should've produced 14-16 gallons from my box.  The entire box produced just over 2-1/4 gallons or over 8 quarts.

My plants were all different ages though, which affects the outcome as I understand things.  Also, they were hastily transplanted together this Spring from different areas into one box after I lost my table top berries over winter.  Anyway, I sure appreciated and enjoyed the harvest. 
 Very Happy 
Here is more on renovating :

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1424.html
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care Empty Re: Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care

Post  martha 6/22/2014, 10:33 am

I don't renovate. My strawberries are technically overcrowded, but they are happy and healthy. 

I don't think a quart a plant is reasonable, even if you were to pinch off all the daughters.  My strawberries are very, very low maintenance, close to zero, are great producers, but I have given them several boxes.

I'll post photos later.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care Empty Re: Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care

Post  llama momma 6/22/2014, 10:43 am

Well thanks Martha, and if you get a chance to post I'd love to see pics, TIA.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 6/22/2014, 2:59 pm

My strawberry patch is in its third year.  I planted 4 plants per square foot, and I also renovate by cutting down most of the foliage after harvest, and I try to remove the runners all summer.  My yields have averaged one pound per square foot.  That's 1/4 pound per plant.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 285

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/22/2014, 9:18 pm

The good…

Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care Dsc_0010

I've shown (shown off?) this photo before. This is one day's harvest from last year. I've had similar yields this year, but again, I have a lot of space given over to strawberries.  

Now here's the bad…or easy, depending on how you look at it!…..

Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care Screen10

There is no ugly - they're strawberries!
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/22/2014, 10:25 pm

I have 12 4X4's planted in strawberries, and this year, in 16 days, I've harvested 13 1/2 gallons.
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/23/2014, 12:56 am

Holy cow that is a heck of a lot of square footage devoted to one crop! But it's hard to imagine getting tired of home-grown strawberries. What do you do with all those strawberries?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/23/2014, 3:42 am

martha wrote:I have 12 4X4's planted in strawberries, and this year, in 16 days, I've harvested 13 1/2 gallons.
All I can say is wow!
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/23/2014, 5:35 am

Thanks Martha and Mikesgardn,  its very interesting to see what kind of harvest others are getting.  In a way its a shame the plants use the space for 11 months before producing anything.  Wouldn't it be exciting if geneticists did something helpful like develop plants that return a longer harvest period? Nice dream.  Anyway  I'll be renovating this morning and add compost and worm castings to help them recover from the shock. Then add a little more in late August as kind of a last meal before the long winters nap.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/23/2014, 4:06 pm

My garden is at our restaurant, so strawberry shortcake, strawberry ice cream, strawberry "cappuccino" - strawberry soup topped with basil foam, strawberry, arugula and goat cheese salad….
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 6/23/2014, 4:14 pm

Strawberry soup??? Wow, never heard of that. Is it served cold like gazpacho?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/23/2014, 10:13 pm

Yes. Mmmmmmmm…..!
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/24/2014, 8:16 am

Okay, so question - I purchased some late slips from a big-box center and got them planted.  They are covered w/ pine straw.  But I'm seeing no growth yet.

Should I uncover them until they start putting out leaves, etc.?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/24/2014, 8:42 am

Yes uncover them and keep them watered while they put down roots.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 6/24/2014, 9:51 am

Camp, how are your strawberries doing?
martha
martha

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/24/2014, 9:56 am

martha wrote:Camp, how are your strawberries doing?
I lost most of them to the recent harsh winter. I'm trying to propagate what's left. I'm envious of your patch! On the other hand the raspberries are doing great!

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Strawberries, yields, and post harvest care WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 6/24/2014, 10:10 am

Thanks, Camp!  Will do.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/25/2014, 8:17 am

LM, this year (well at least last fall)  instead of renovating, I dumped a lot of wood chips on all my strawberry beds. I had read where doing this does the renovation for you.  The wood chips help to sort the healthy new ones from the older ones and only the healthy ones come up
I have to say I have been extremely impressed with the size of the strawberries and the overall healthy appearance to the plants. Mine are intermingled JUNE and ever bearing, and they seem to just keep coming.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/25/2014, 8:49 am

Thanks Sanderson
I love the wood chip and Back to eden concept and I'd like to try it sometime.  I renovated and put down compost the other day.  I suppose I can source some chips and still add it later on.  (?)
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 6/25/2014, 8:54 am

LM...
A small area of my strawbs were looking poorly, making nice berries, but the plants looked poor, red leaves, small, not healthy..This area got very few chips..
So I have put handfuls of compost between those berries.  I will try to post a picture of some of them,
 I have to admit I was a bit nervous just covering them with all them chips, and in the spring in some areas I removed some.... afraid that the strawberries would not come through.
But now I am more confident
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 6/25/2014, 8:56 am

It's been reasonably hot and dry here ..unusually no rain for over four weeks at 14 oC plus some days into the mid 20 o C's .

I've been so busy & getting very tired in muscles , joints and brain with this last stage of the landscaping I didn't water them as much as I should .....consequentially  it looks like they have self terminated ... I've now got a sprinkler arm set up over them but it looks like my strawberry season is over for 2014.
Come autumn I'll be moving them into one of the new MM filled high raised beds , as they have been nearly three years in the current position and strawberry root saw fly has started to infect the immediate ground around them .

We did have several decent strawberry & ice cream or cream desserts off them.

Wimbledon tennis fortnight has recently commenced  .. usually strawberries are only just coming into season .. ..Evidently at Wimbledon you'd be looking at four strawberries ,. some cream and a glass of reasonable wine for around £ 50  ( $ 75 USD. )

I can't abide tennis so I must have saved a fortune .  Laughing .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/25/2014, 12:26 pm

plantoid wrote: We did have several decent strawberry & ice cream or cream desserts off them.

Wimbledon tennis fortnight has recently commenced  .. usually strawberries are only just coming into season .. ..Evidently at Wimbledon you'd be looking at four strawberries ,. some cream and a glass of reasonable wine for around £ 50  ( $ 75 USD. )

I can't abide tennis so I must have saved a fortune .  Laughing .
Yum on the strawberry desserts!  $75 for 4 strawberries and wine?  They must be Royal strawberries!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 6/26/2014, 12:38 pm

In the process of renovating the strawberry bed and looking at all the empty space. Prime real estate I'm thinking. Has anyone tried planting between the strawberry plants this time of year. I was thinking about dropping in a few bush bean seeds. They are a good companion to strawberries. And you can never have enough green beans! Any thoughts?
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/26/2014, 1:24 pm

Bush bean would crowd out all the sun and kill the strawberry lants.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 6/26/2014, 2:21 pm

Ok no beans. Good to know! Thanks Camprn.  Any  recommendations or must I just leave it empty?
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next