Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Zucchini turning yellow, not growing Toplef10Zucchini turning yellow, not growing 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Zucchini turning yellow, not growing I22gcj10Zucchini turning yellow, not growing 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Zucchini turning yellow, not growing Toplef10Zucchini turning yellow, not growing 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Zucchini turning yellow, not growing I22gcj10Zucchini turning yellow, not growing 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Seedling Identification
by markqz Today at 20:14

» Maybe a silly question but...
by aadams43 Today at 18:36

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 13:14

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 08:22

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 06:50

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 02:13

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 22:13

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 21:49

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 21:25

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 15:17

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 2024-04-16, 05:04

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 2024-04-16, 01:22

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 2024-04-16, 01:15

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 2024-04-15, 11:37

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 2024-04-15, 11:33

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 2024-04-15, 06:26

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 2024-04-13, 14:50

» Companion planting
by sanderson 2024-04-13, 13:24

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 2024-04-13, 13:16

» California's Drought
by sanderson 2024-04-10, 10:43

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 2024-04-08, 20:40

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 2024-04-08, 19:28

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 2024-04-07, 08:41

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 2024-04-05, 19:30

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 2024-04-05, 13:08

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 2024-04-04, 11:58

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 2024-04-04, 10:24

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 2024-04-04, 10:09

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 2024-04-04, 04:50

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 2024-04-01, 15:05

Google

Search SFG Forum

Zucchini turning yellow, not growing

+2
CapeCoddess
tiffanybrenner
6 posters

Go down

Zucchini turning yellow, not growing Empty Zucchini turning yellow, not growing

Post  tiffanybrenner 2014-06-20, 11:06

Hi there, I have a Zucchini plant that appears to be growing well (nice large, green leaves). I got 2 nice zucchini's off of it, but the next 2 only grew about 3 inches and then turned yellow. I read a bit about pollination, but that's not the issue if the fruit has started to grow, correct? Also, we have tons of bees in the garden (my dog, the "bee chases" has the stings to prove it!  Laughing 

It could just be a fluke and I'm not giving the plant enough time to really get established.  Oh, and it case it matters, I'm in San Diego (days are hot/nights mild - ~ 82/55)

Thanks!
tiffanybrenner
tiffanybrenner

Female Posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Zucchini turning yellow, not growing Empty Re: Zucchini turning yellow, not growing

Post  CapeCoddess 2014-06-20, 14:27

Can you post a photo of the plant? That would help.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Zucchini turning yellow, not growing Empty Re: Zucchini turning yellow, not growing

Post  Marc Iverson 2014-06-20, 16:51

The fruit can start to grow, but be poorly pollinated. Often the first few days growth of the fruit/first few inches look fine, and then the end never fully forms, and appears to go yellow and pinched. So pollination could well be the problem, even though for your first two zucchini, it wasn't.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 2014-06-20, 16:52

If the leaves look pretty healthy then that is not uncommon to lose the first few fruits due to poor pollination. Sometimes the boy flowers are a little slow to show up. Go figure.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2014-06-20, 22:48

San Diego is a delightful place to garden.  At the base of every female squash flower is a small fruit.  If it's not pollinated or pollinated enough, it will still grow for a day or few, then turn yellow and die.  It takes a minimum amount of pollination for the tiny fruit to grow into an edible squash.  A good pollination produces a nicely shaped fruit.  A fruit that was pollinated enough to grow but not fully pollinated, will have an odd shape like a waist or longer on one side than the other.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21527

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 2014-06-21, 03:21

tiffanybrenner wrote:Hi there, I have a Zucchini plant that appears to be growing well (nice large, green leaves). I got 2 nice zucchini's off of it, but the next 2 only grew about 3 inches and then turned yellow. I read a bit about pollination, but that's not the issue if the fruit has started to grow, correct? Also, we have tons of bees in the garden ...

If a few grains of pollen are delivered, the fruit may well start to grow, then abort, or grow and be deformed. The key is whether enough grains of pollen are delivered - it takes two grains for each incipient seed, one for the embryo and one for the seed coat.

Having "tons of bees" is good, in general. But are they working on the squash? You need many visits to the squash blossom to get enough pollen. And in hot weather, there's only a narrow window in the morning for this to happen, before the flower wilts and is no longer fertile.

In my own garden, honey bees are busy working on the cucumbers and melons, but they don't touch the squash, as they are finding better. The little squash bees are there before daybreak, visiting the squash blossoms, until around 8 a.m. and then the bumble bees take over for the second shift, so my squash is being well pollinated.

Sometimes people plant rich pollen and nectar flowers "to attract bees."  That is an inadequate goal - you may attract them right past the squash you want pollinated, to go to the flowers you planted to attract them. In my garden there is a wild invasive weed called Florida betony in great abundance. It's a mint, so it's highly attractive to many bees, and it drew the bumble bees away from my garden veggies. Fortunately I do have squash bees, which *only* work squash, so I was covered there. But the bumble bees were needed on my tomatoes, and I had to hand pollinate with a tuning fork, to stop the blossom drop.

Squash bees are extremely pesticide sensitive, so you may not have them, depending on pesticide practices in your area. Mosquito spraying, or yard-fogging neighbors can decimate pollinator populations. It can often affect one species of bee more than another, depending on which flowers they are working, the hours they are working, etc.

You may not see squash bees, as they are early morning workers. If you have them, you will sometimes find the males holed up inside closed flowers, where they sleep. Then, in the morning, they will chew their way out to look for the females comeing to the new blossoms.
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  tiffanybrenner 2014-06-26, 09:32

Sorry for the delay in follow-up and responding to all of you who were kind enough to post a response to my zucchini issue (I was derailed for a few days with a sick infant - all is better now  Very Happy )

So the pollination thing - specifically having under developed zucchini's and not being pollinated enough makes complete sense. I realized after your responses that I had very few blossoms at all. In the past 4-5 days I went from 1 open flower to about 10. So hopefully now that the plant is developing more the bees will get to work! 

Thanks so much!
tiffanybrenner
tiffanybrenner

Female Posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down