Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost Toplef10Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost I22gcj10Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost Toplef10Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost I22gcj10Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost

+3
Marc Iverson
llama momma
Nia in VA
7 posters

Go down

Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost Empty Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost

Post  Nia in VA 5/8/2014, 4:21 pm

Okay...my husband and I started a raised bed this year (4' x 8' x 10.5").  However, instead of using Mel's Mix or even a similar equivalent on our own, we put in the bottom half of of the beds topsoil mixed with peat moss, vermiculite, and soil conditioner (all organic).  Then we mixed in a layer of Black Kow and Mushroom Compost, a layer of peat, and a final layer of Black Kow.  Since this is nowhere near "Mel's Mix," should I go ahead and add some organic fertilizer for my tomatoes, peppers, etc?  We're just traditional backyard gardeners with not a lot of success the last couple of years, and my hubby doesn't take to new changes easily.  He just wants to till in some compost, dig a hole, throw in some fertilizer, toss in the plant, and get 'er done!  LOL!  I have to say though, he's been an awesome trooper on this "newfangled" idea of mine!  I know, I know....I need to GET THE BOOK!  Thanks for your advice and suggestions!
Nia in VA
Nia in VA

Back to top Go down

Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost Empty Re: Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost

Post  llama momma 5/8/2014, 4:35 pm

All I can say going into year number 4 with square foot gardening is that you don't have to figure out a lot.  It's all been done already with decades of experience and put into an easy to read book.
Square foot gardening lets you be successful first time out, and its pretty thrilling too.
I'm not sure how to fix your situation. Maybe someone will come along soon.
 Check out the gallery section above in the green bar.  Plenty of us have success with this method, including myself. Here's one example-
Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost Sam_2016
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost Empty Re: Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost

Post  Marc Iverson 5/8/2014, 4:55 pm

Sounds pretty haphazard. It's hard to guess whether to add organic fertilizer on top of all that since it's impossible to know how fertile it already is, and what the balance of nutrients are.

How much space do you have left until your beds are as full as you want them to be, before they overflow or crowd the top too much?

Unless you want to go to the trouble of sending in your soil for analysis, you might want to resort to taking a page from the book, so to speak, of how SFG is done in countries too poor to put together real Mel's Mix or who for other reasons cannot access vermiculite or peat moss at non-prohibitive costs. They just plant in pure compost.

If you're going to still be adding anything at all, or have the room for it, that would probably be better than adding fertilizers to what you've already got. Better yet, of course, would be to combine five types (not just five sources) of compost to fill in whatever space you might have left on top of your bed, and consider mixing it down a bit, at least at the bottom of the layer, so there is not a stark transition between soil types that makes roots retreat from the transition zone and refuse to grow any further down.

It's hard to guess from your description what the proportion of vermiculite and peat in your beds already is, so it's hard to recommend anything but a soil analysis prior to doing anything, or to just add some good blended compost. I doubt you want to throw out all the soil you've already got down there, especially since you've already mixed vermiculite and peat in it and added more peat in another layer too.

For the next bed(s) you might consider making in the future, it would be better to follow a structured plan such as can be found in the All New Square Foot Gardening book. It's not as inexpensive as using topsoil, but it's more foolproof and eliminates the host of questions that can arise from more unusual or idiosyncratic mixtures of soils and amendments.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  H_TX_2 5/8/2014, 5:12 pm

If you have not started composting already then start now. Next year or in the fall add your homemade compost and mix it in. That should be all you need. It may not technically be Mel's Mix but it should work just fine. Some people here spray some occasional fish or seaweed emulsion for added nutrients.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 5/8/2014, 6:31 pm

Nia in VA wrote:Okay...my husband and I started a raised bed this year (4' x 8' x 10.5").  However, instead of using Mel's Mix or even a similar equivalent on our own, we put in the bottom half of of the beds topsoil mixed with peat moss, vermiculite, and soil conditioner (all organic).  Then we mixed in a layer of Black Kow and Mushroom Compost, a layer of peat, and a final layer of Black Kow.  Since this is nowhere near "Mel's Mix," should I go ahead and add some organic fertilizer for my tomatoes, peppers, etc?  We're just traditional backyard gardeners with not a lot of success the last couple of years, and my hubby doesn't take to new changes easily.  He just wants to till in some compost, dig a hole, throw in some fertilizer, toss in the plant, and get 'er done!  LOL!  I have to say though, he's been an awesome trooper on this "newfangled" idea of mine!  I know, I know....I need to GET THE BOOK!  Thanks for your advice and suggestions!
I know this will be a lot of hard work but I would get a tarp and put all of what you currently have on the tarp and get it mixed together.  It sounds to me like you have it in layers when in fact it should be combined to be effective.  You already have 2 different composts.  You need 5 so get 3 more and mix in with this mixture.

Yes, by all means, if you don't already make your own compost, it's a good idea to start.  It's black gold.

Yes, get the book.  Can't emphasize that part enough.  It is the simplest form of gardening I have ever done and I'm an old lady.  I grow more in 110 square feet than I did in a huge garden.  Never have to cultivate, use a tiller, etc. 

Good luck.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost Empty Thanks for all the quick replies!

Post  Nia in VA 5/8/2014, 7:37 pm

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice!  Great Granny....everything did pretty much get mixed up, except for the final top layer of Black Kow.  I just finished putting the plants in, and hubby would have a fit taking everything out and redoing it.  I didn't put any other fertilizer in with the plants except for a half cup of bone meal under the one tomato plant I put in.  Hubby planted the other six in his "row."  I'll be ready to "amend" if plants show any signs of not doing well, and will let you know how it goes as the season progresses.  Honestly, the soil has GOT to be better than what we had in just the ground.  FYI, I planted the tomato plant, 3 bell peppers, 3 okras, 3 green beans, 3 limas, 2 basil, 1 oregano, 1 thyme, 2 dill....and a partridge in a pear tree!  I will definitely set up another raised bed next year, but I'll read the book first, and probably order Mel's Mix for that one.  Great Granny.....old lady?  I'm 61, and "old" is always 50 years older than me!!!
Nia in VA
Nia in VA

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/8/2014, 9:49 pm

I would mix it all up and plant .

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Fertilizer for 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 peat, vermiculite, and compost WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/9/2014, 8:52 am

Hi Nia.  Welcome to the forum!

+1 with Camprn - Mix & plant.

Please let us know how everything does.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down