Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 Toplef10Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 I22gcj10Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 Toplef10Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 I22gcj10Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone else having problems w/ site?

+19
Triciasgarden
catbranch
Goosegirl
Yardslave
RJARPCGP
llama momma
Boz
CapeCoddess
greatgranny
sanderson
Jmichelle
southern gardener
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Turan
Kelejan
yolos
boffer
camprn
AtlantaMarie
23 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 Empty Re: Anyone else having problems w/ site?

Post  greatgranny 4/30/2014, 9:44 pm

RJARPCGP wrote:I just randomly got logged out.....
So did I.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 Empty Re: Anyone else having problems w/ site?

Post  Goosegirl 4/30/2014, 10:08 pm

greatgranny wrote:
RJARPCGP wrote:I just randomly got logged out.....
So did I.

Me 3!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/30/2014, 10:24 pm

Oh, maybe that is what happened to me! I opened site and there were ADS!  Shocked 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  catbranch 5/1/2014, 12:17 am

Unless you have an ad block program installed you are going to see the 728 x 90 (pixel size) ad at the top of the page and the 180 x 150 ad under the chat box in the sidebar no matter how often you delete cookies and refresh your page.

Someone, I'm assuming the folks at creatingforum.com, have a slew of javascript inserted in the code for ads to display from various sources (google adsense, criteo, google lead service, etc). All of which are earning whoever put the code there to begin with money anytime someone clicks on the ads. Whether this is something new they are doing on all the forums they host or if they have some sort of pay us for your forum and we will remove the ads type thing going on I don't know. But they aren't going anywhere until that code is removed or commented out with more code.

If you are familiar with code and know how to read or write it, you can see this by right clicking anywhere on the page other than an image and selecting View Page Source. You have to find the correct spot in the code, but it is definitely there because I have it open in another window and am looking at it.

As a side note, if you are using Chrome like I am, you can right click anywhere on the page (except an image) and select View Page Info. Under permissions >> cookies and site data, you will see other. That is 3rd party cookies that are being allowed on the site. If you click on show cookies it will list them and give you the option to block and remove them. However, I just removed the 11 I had listed and already have 4 more new ones after reloading, so it's really a waste of time since the code is written in a way that if one company is blocked, it just pulls up the next one.. and there are MANY.

Cathy
catbranch
catbranch

Female Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/1/2014, 2:15 am

catbranch wrote:Unless you have an ad block program installed you are going to see the 728 x 90 (pixel size) ad at the top of the page and the 180 x 150 ad under the chat box in the sidebar...

Not everybody!

I removed adblock, and as a guest I see
Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 Screen39

When I log in, I see
Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 Screen40

When I'm logged in without adblock, I have no ads, and there isn't the long list of google stuff in the page source.

Since this forum was created in 2010, forumotion has changed how ads are administered several times.  Each progressive change made it harder for us to eliminate ads.  The last change worked as I described above: logged-in members didn't have to see ads, only guests did.

I think that they have eliminated that option as well for newly created forums, but that forums created in 2009/2010 were grandfathered in and retained the ability to opt out of ads for logged in members.  Nobody seems to know for sure when the exact cut-off date was.

The screenshots that yolos provided are the current standard locations for google ads here.  Is anyone seeing ads other than those two places?

It's not unusual for the software techs to make changes without telling anyone.  They don't even tell the mods on their own help forum!  

thinking
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/1/2014, 7:58 am

One thing I notice this morning that I have not seen before  is  when I was not logged in and reading my post in New England ~ May 2014, there was a hyperlink by Viglink attached to my text about an in ground garden.  thinking

This was the site that was linked:
http://www.hayneedle.com/product/coralcoastwoodgroundgardenbed48wx48dx12hin.cfm?srccode=cii_10043468&cpncode=26-334276216-2&source=channel_intelligence_shopzilla_hayneedle

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/1/2014, 10:54 am

Underlined links is an option for guests.

I'm trying to write a concise description of the ad problem to present to forumotion.  

Is anyone seeing anything different than what is shown in yolos' pictures?  I'm referring to the location of the ads, not the content of the ads.  The 'normal' ad placement, when they are displayed, is across the top of the page, and at the bottom of the Latest Topics list.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 5/1/2014, 11:32 am

boffer wrote:Underlined links is an option for guests.

I'm trying to write a concise description of the ad problem to present to forumotion.  

Is anyone seeing anything different than what is shown in yolos' pictures?  I'm referring to the location of the ads, not the content of the ads.  The 'normal' ad placement, when they are displayed, is across the top of the page, and at the bottom of the Latest Topics list.
I am "only" seeing the ads in the same locations as Yolos is. Thank you Boffer for trying to help us!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/1/2014, 11:43 am

southern gardener wrote:
boffer wrote:Underlined links is an option for guests.

I am "only" seeing the ads in the same locations as Yolos is. Thank you Boffer for trying to help us!!
+1

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 5/1/2014, 11:44 am

I am seeing an ad above this reply panel right no, but nothing else, although I have seen one in the bottom left hand corner.
I must admit I don't like them but it does not bother me too much as I just tuneout, same as TV and newspaper ads.
The ads I hate are the ones that you have to sit through before you can see what you want to see; e.g. BBC video ads that go on for 30 seconds and the actual part you want to see lasts for 15 seconds. But if I don't pay for it I feel I have to put up with it.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 5/1/2014, 12:52 pm

Kelejan wrote:I am seeing an ad above this reply panel right no, but nothing else, although I have seen one in the bottom left hand corner.
I must admit I don't like them but it does not bother me too much as I just tuneout, same as TV and newspaper ads.
The ads I hate are the ones that you have to sit through before you can see what you want to see; e.g. BBC video ads that go on for 30 seconds and the actual part you want to see lasts for 15 seconds. But if I don't pay for it I feel I have to put up with it.
+1 here too.
I am in a plussy mood today  Very Happy
 sunny  flower   HAPPY MAY DAY!

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  catbranch 5/1/2014, 1:03 pm

boffer wrote:Is anyone seeing anything different than what is shown in yolos' pictures?  I'm referring to the location of the ads, not the content of the ads.  The 'normal' ad placement, when they are displayed, is across the top of the page, and at the bottom of the Latest Topics list.

I am seeing them in the same place on every page of the links listed across the top (except Website of course); Forum, Gallery, FAQ, Members, Profile & PM pages. Also, when I click on a specific member's name and go to their profile page the leaderboard sized ad is across the top like normal, but there is also an ad in the right-hand sidebar under the member's name and avatar box.
Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 Scnsho10

Cathy
catbranch
catbranch

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/1/2014, 1:19 pm

I got the same thing as you Cathy.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/1/2014, 1:31 pm

Have you all deleted forum cookies?

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  catbranch 5/1/2014, 1:45 pm

camprn wrote:Have you all deleted forum cookies?
Many times both through the link on the forum and through my browser settings. I really do not believe it will have anything to do with cookies, until the code that forumotion has included is removed or blocked. After that's done, cookies may come into play.

In the past forumotion used to require using/buying credits (through the admin panel) to prevent ads from being shown, then under Misc the forum admin could select whether the ads were shown or not, but that was back in my web design days and I have no idea if that is how they still do it.

Cathy
catbranch
catbranch

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/1/2014, 2:16 pm

catbranch wrote:
camprn wrote:Have you all deleted forum cookies?
Many times both through the link on the forum and through my browser settings. I really do not believe it will have anything to do with cookies, until the code that forumotion has included is removed or blocked. After that's done, cookies may come into play.

In the past forumotion used to require using/buying credits (through the admin panel) to prevent ads from being shown, then under Misc the forum admin could select whether the ads were shown or not, but that was back in my web design days and I have no idea if that is how they still do it.

Cathy
I am glad you have done it, however there are others here that may have not done so. It was a general reminder. 

At this point it looks like Boffer has plenty to keep him busy as he tries to figure cause and solution. 
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It will get fixed or it wont. I am hoping for the former. Now onto gardening, eh?
 Wink

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/1/2014, 2:25 pm

Thank you Boffer for all your hard work in keeping this forum going and tackling these problems!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/1/2014, 2:57 pm

I went on a member's profile and to the right below their avatar, there was an ad.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  catbranch 5/1/2014, 3:27 pm

Yes, thank you Boffer for all you are doing to clear it up! The ads really don't bother me at all, but I can understand how others might feel differently. Actually, I'm not sure I would have even noticed them being there on my own. 

Regardless, thank you for the effort you are going through to make the forum pleasurable for everyone.  Very Happy 

Cathy
catbranch
catbranch

Back to top Go down

Post  RJARPCGP 5/1/2014, 6:32 pm

Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 Ad_iss15

Ad in wrong place.
RJARPCGP
RJARPCGP

Male Posts : 352

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/1/2014, 6:42 pm

Thanks, RJARPCGP.  It looks like the wrong place to me too.

Here is when I log out and look at the page.
Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 Screen41

This is when I'm logged in.
Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 Screen42
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/1/2014, 8:06 pm

This is using AdBlock.  The strip/blank block where the ad should go is still there but now there is no ad.  The blank block is just above the title of the thread - "Anyone else having problems with the site".
Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 Ad_gon10
Earlier, Boffer mentioned a thread on forumation.  I read that thread and the problem they were talking about was the ad not showing up in the correct place.  So I think the techs are working on the problem mentioned on the previous post.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  unit649 5/1/2014, 11:18 pm

I just logged in a few minutes ago, and I think I am seeing something that I have not seen others post about. There is some type of "Warning" showing up that is covering up posts near the top center of the page. Here are two screen shots of it.  I am also seeing the adds that others posted about.  I am using Firefox on Windows 7.
Madge
Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 Sfg_210

Anyone else having problems w/ site? - Page 3 Sfg12
unit649
unit649

Female Posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/2/2014, 12:02 am

Thanks for posting those images, Madge.  I'm assuming that you're not familiar with the user name in the top pic, which looks like pikao_piko ?

I've submitted your images to forumotion.

If anyone wants to keep tabs, you can follow my thread here:

http://help.forumotion.com/t132728-new-ad-issues-on-my-forum#891992

(I'm boffer10 on that forum.)
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  unit649 5/2/2014, 12:05 am

No, never heard of the name or the website.
Madge
unit649
unit649

Female Posts : 179

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next