Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ground Cherries - Page 5 Toplef10Ground Cherries - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ground Cherries - Page 5 I22gcj10Ground Cherries - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Ground Cherries - Page 5 Toplef10Ground Cherries - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Ground Cherries - Page 5 I22gcj10Ground Cherries - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 11:00

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 8:26

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 8:19

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 20:22

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 20:14

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:50

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 22:13

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 21:49

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 21:25

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 15:17

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 5:04

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:22

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:15

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:37

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:33

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 6:26

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 14:50

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:24

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:16

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed 10 Apr 2024 - 10:43

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 20:40

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 19:28

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan Sun 7 Apr 2024 - 8:41

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 19:30

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 13:08

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 11:58

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:24

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:09

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 4:50

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener Mon 1 Apr 2024 - 15:05

Google

Search SFG Forum

Ground Cherries

+16
Banned Member
Cajun Cappy
RoOsTeR
elysia
sfg4uKim
trolleydriver
sanderson
AtlantaMarie
countrynaturals
llama momma
Ginger Blue
Scorpio Rising
BeetlesPerSqFt
Lavender Debs
camprn
CapeCoddess
20 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Ground Cherries - Page 5 Empty Re: Ground Cherries

Post  Scorpio Rising Tue 15 Aug 2017 - 16:18

CapeCoddess wrote:Soooo...I while watering my SFG today I noticed MANY ground cherries laying around on the ground.  Never had such a huge amount at once before.  I felt so lucky.  Went to pick them up....
and they are ALL empty! Shocked
Birds.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Thu 7 Sep 2017 - 12:06

Mrs TD harvested some of her ground cherries today.

Ground Cherries - Page 5 Img_2050
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising Sun 10 Sep 2017 - 17:16

Nice!  Mine are orange...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 Sun 10 Sep 2017 - 18:48

I read through all 5 pages of this thread and these guys sound very interesting.   Do you guys think I could plant one in the middle of two squares (both on the end and one of which is on the corner) and get away with that or is that still not enough space?  Also, can seeds be found locally fairly easily or would they need to be ordered?
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Sun 10 Sep 2017 - 18:50

Scorpio Rising wrote:Nice!  Mine are orange...
The green ones are not ripe enough.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Sun 10 Sep 2017 - 18:56

brianj555 wrote:I read through all 5 pages of this thread and these guys sound very interesting.   Do you guys think I could plant one in the middle of two squares (both on the end and one of which is on the corner) and get away with that or is that still not enough space?  Also, can seeds be found locally fairly easily or would they need to be ordered?
We avoid growing them in the SFG. You may be able to train them to grow over the sides of the SFG bed if you don't want them to spread to other squares in the SFG bed. We buy transplants in the Spring but have also had them reseed themselves from a previous year.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  brianj555 Mon 11 Sep 2017 - 5:29

trolleydriver wrote:
brianj555 wrote:I read through all 5 pages of this thread and these guys sound very interesting.   Do you guys think I could plant one in the middle of two squares (both on the end and one of which is on the corner) and get away with that or is that still not enough space?  Also, can seeds be found locally fairly easily or would they need to be ordered?
We avoid growing them in the SFG. You may be able to train them to grow over the sides of the SFG bed if you don't want them to spread to other squares in the SFG bed. We buy transplants in the Spring but have also had them reseed themselves from a previous year.

Ok. Thank you! I do think I would like to try to grow at least one. After reading the thread, curiosity has gotten the better of me. I think that I will go ahead and try one in a container. Maybe I will get lucky and find one I can transplant, rather than having to start from seed. Thanks again.
brianj555
brianj555

Male Posts : 444

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals Mon 11 Sep 2017 - 17:46

brianj555 wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:

Ok.  Thank you!  I do think I would like to try to grow at least one.  After reading the thread, curiosity has gotten the better of me.  I think that I will go ahead and try one in a container.  Maybe I will get lucky and find one I can transplant, rather than having to start from seed.  Thanks again.
They make beautiful container plants. They do take a long time to produce, however -- at least out here.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue Wed 13 Sep 2017 - 14:07

This has been a bad year for my ground cherries.  Last year, I grew Aunt Molly's and enjoyed them so much I decided to try as many other varieties as I could find. This year I grew two dozen or so plants from seed, at least six varieties (but no Aunt Molly's).  So far, I've only gleaned 9 teeny, tiny lanterns from the lot of 'em.

All of the plants are small (when compared to the Aunt Molly's from this time, last year), but healthy.  Most have a few developed lanterns, but the Cape Gooseberrys are just starting to flower. It's been a disappointing season. I guess I'll just have to try again, next year.

I give up!
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt Wed 13 Sep 2017 - 15:55

Hi Ginger Blue!! I hope you get at least a few more fruits for taste comparison purposes.

Not a good year for my ground cherries either. I tried Cossack Pineapple this year. They were less prolific than what I grew last year but I think that's half due to weather (too cold - most of my summer vegs have had a bad year) and half not enough sun in my garden in general and their area in particular rather than the variety. More importantly I think the previous variety was slightly better flavored - I'll go back to that unnamed variety next year.

I plant ground cherries checkerboard style (one every other square) and have been experimenting with what to grow in the alternate squares. Nasturtiums and purslane both grew too low and it was hard to see cherries that rolled under them. Mustard was too big, and is pretty much done before the ground cherries even go in anyhow. Kale is ok, but makes too much shade...and I couldn't bring myself to remove them. Beets were a bit dense but an improvement. And spring-sown carrots are PERFECT - they aren't shading, and I can easily see and reach between the plants to retrieve the ripe, fallen fruits. (Onions might work, too... though not for me as I will need to keep mine undercover due to an emerging invading pest.)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising Wed 13 Sep 2017 - 17:01

I grew Aunt Molly's in my SFG last year, and they are still self seeding out there!  Too low to the ground to see them to harvest well.  This year, I put 3 transplants that I started in a 18" diameter container on my patio table, and they did great.  I too have had a rough year with the cool temps, but they have produced well.  I will double that amount next year, or at least add 2 more plants in another container.  Having them up on a table has been a godsend.  

Also, I think they are heavy feeders, I only did fish emulsion once this summer and I think my containers suffered a bit.  

I ordered mine from Pinetree Seeds, Brian.  And I have to tell ya, even on heating pad they take a WHILE to germinate....but worth it, yes!  I would send you some but I am gonna have to order next year!  Lots of seed companies carry them, I have never seen starts around here.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess Thu 14 Sep 2017 - 10:28

brianj555 wrote:Do you guys think I could plant one in the middle of two squares (both on the end and one of which is on the corner) and get away with that or is that still not enough space?  Also, can seeds be found locally fairly easily or would they need to be ordered?

I planted 2 starts in the 2 center sqs at the side of this box (bottom of photo):
Ground Cherries - Page 5 04310

My plants are started from my own seeds, originally saved from fruit purchased at a farmers market years ago.  I don't know what variety they are but they have never grown 'up' or spread out much, preferring to stay low to the ground.  (However my starts DO grow huge in my neighbors garden  - about 3x4 at least.  She doesn't do SFG.)

This is the first year I planted the starts in the SFG and I'm getting a far better crop than I ever did when I planted them in the ground, but as you can see in the photo, they are still small plants.  This is not normal but it's working for me.
Very Happy
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue Sun 17 Sep 2017 - 14:39

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:Hi Ginger Blue!! I hope you get at least a few more fruits for taste comparison purposes.

Hi Beetles! happy hi  Unfortunately, my plants got jumbled together when relocating them to my neighbor's garden, so when I harvest I don't know which bush the fallen fruit came from. When we get a house and I'm able to have my own garden space again, I'll grow all the varieties I have and keep better track, then.

Brian, if you want to try growing ground cherries, I have plenty of "Aunt Molly's" seeds to share; send me a PM if you'd like some. They're a fun, unique, and very pretty plant to include in your garden.

Save
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan Tue 24 Apr 2018 - 20:18

I am tempted to grow some this year, if there are plants at the nursery.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2619

Back to top Go down

Post  farmersgranddaughter Wed 25 Apr 2018 - 17:58

Thank you, sanderson, for telling me about this thread!  I'm starting from seed with plans to transplant them into a very large planter.  With the information I found here, I'll start the seeds in pre-heated moist soil on a heat mat.  The seeds I have are Aunt Molly's.
farmersgranddaughter
farmersgranddaughter

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Wed 25 Apr 2018 - 21:00

Can others who recently posted about ground cherries also post the info here? I hate for good info to get buried.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21532

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Thu 26 Apr 2018 - 8:19

I am trying to start some ground cherries from seeds I got in a seed exchange. A few have germinated but they are so tiny I almost need a magnifying glass to see them. I doubt I will get transplants from them so I will end up buying transplants as usual. I wouldn't bother growing them except Mrs TD loves them.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising Thu 26 Apr 2018 - 18:36

I grow them from seed starts, I got the seeds from Pinetree, Aunt Molly’s.  They take forever to germinate for me.  The plants are so low, that I actually grow them in a planter on a table on my patio.  Otherwise, just too low to see and harvest well.  

They are a hot weather plant, and I start them when I do my tomatoes.  The seeds are super tiny, TD!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5