Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
A pretty trellis? Toplef10A pretty trellis? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

A pretty trellis? I22gcj10A pretty trellis? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
A pretty trellis? Toplef10A pretty trellis? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

A pretty trellis? I22gcj10A pretty trellis? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

A pretty trellis?

+5
southern gardener
yolos
Marc Iverson
boffer
kamigh
9 posters

Go down

A pretty trellis? Empty A pretty trellis?

Post  kamigh 3/27/2014, 10:40 pm

Our house is on a corner lot and we have to have an iron fence per our HOA instead of a wood privacy fence. Thus, my garden is "out there" for all to see. No problem, except I need to come up with a nice-looking trellis for all my climbing veggies. I had planned to use cattle panel and got overruled by the rest of the household. . . They are worried the HOA will make me take it down if it doesn't look good.
My vision was to have a cattle panel trellis go between my two 4 x 8 beds so that veggies from both beds could climb up and over, making a tunnel of sorts.  Now I'm thinking about doing some sort of PVC trellis that I could spray paint black or really dark brown to match the fence/house trim. I have the netting that I could string between the PVC.  My thinking is that it will mimic the look of the iron fence enough that no one will complain, yet serve the function I need.
Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions or hopefully pictures of something I could show my engineer husband so he can build it for me?  Also, I'm not terribly concerned about shade from the trellis since my garden will get full sun all day and a little shade will probably be welcomed! I searched the forum and didn't see too much, although my search was far from exhaustive.
kamigh
kamigh

Back to top Go down

A pretty trellis? Empty Re: A pretty trellis?

Post  boffer 3/27/2014, 11:22 pm

Does your husband weld?  That opens up lots of possibilities.

A wood framed arbor to support either netting or cattle panel would look nice. Google 'arbor' and look at images.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 3/27/2014, 11:26 pm

Could you turn that arch into a square? Then you could conform the edges of the cattle panel to a tall rectangular wooden frame connecting the two beds, and what what people would mostly see would be the wood itself. All the better if it matches the color of your beds. You could even paint the outside of the beds and paint the rectangular "arch," say a nice pastel or white, so everything has a bright upbeat look that doesn't try to hide but says "Look at me and how pretty I am! I want everyone to see!" Sometimes half the battle is presentation, right?

Anyway, that would leave you with essentially an arbor connected at the bottom of each side with a bed. Once the greenery starts growing up the arbor, any lingering doubts about how pretty it is should vanish.

You could bend the cattle panel into the right shape by standing on a 2x4 at the right place, and then bending the cattle panel up at the right place. Do that twice and you have your rectangular arbor "arch."

A few flowers in the front square of the beds wouldn't hurt. You could even put small hanging (or wired-on to the cattle panel) baskets or pots along the front, most visible side of the arbor with some flower in them. Trailing, like many nasturtiums, or perhaps dwarf french marigolds, which bloom prolifically, are good companion plants, and tend to get no bigger than their pots and your watering allows, so they'd never shade out other plants. I think you could make it quite pretty and still keep all your important original objectives -- connecting your bed with an arbor-like section of cattle panel that you can train climbing veggies on.

Re the painted PVC, I suspect that won't fly. We've got lots of PVC, and it always still looks like PVC.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/27/2014, 11:56 pm

You could paint the cattle panel to match your fence.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 3/28/2014, 1:35 am

How about if your hubby framed it in, sort of like this pic  http://www.flickr.com/photos/7608643@N06/2249054163/
and painted the cattle panel to match your house like yolos suggested, or even a brown or some sort of color to make it disappear? like brown etc.

If you frame in both sides and let it just arch over to the other side, it might look pretty nice??
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/28/2014, 2:08 am

Just sharing some photos I shot at OSH.  What did I ever do without an iphone?  Shocked 

A pretty trellis? Trelli10

A pretty trellis? Trelli11
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 3/28/2014, 2:13 pm

Hello kamigh,

I live in an HOA in Double Oak, very close to you.  FWIW, I use a combination of wood trellises, emt hoops and emt poles in my garden. 

I couldn't find a photo with everything in place, but this is one showing the trellises. I now also leave the emt hoops in place with the trellises so I can put shade cloth on them when I want.

A pretty trellis? Yard_210

So far, the HOA has been happy with what we're doing.

Hope this helps,
Gloria
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 3/28/2014, 2:18 pm

I don't blame them. Wow, that is really pretty.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/28/2014, 2:59 pm

Gloria, Wow! Beautiful
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  GloriaG 3/28/2014, 3:22 pm

Thanks very much!  I appreciate it.
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kamigh 3/29/2014, 9:19 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice and especially Gloria for her beautiful, inspiring pictures!!!  I talked to the family again this weekend and the short story is that everyone loves the fruits of my labor but don't want to do any (more) labor to help me!  So I was pretty much given free rein to go out and get something nice.  I went looking around and a local garden center had two of these beautiful trellises so I bought them!  Not cheap, but they are pretty and will serve my function quite nicely.  My plan is to put all my vining stuff where the trellises are, and add some netting between the trellises when the vines start growing.   Here's a picture of my fledgling little garden . . . I've still got work to do and have to put some pea gravel down between the beds, but you can get the idea.

A pretty trellis? Img_6310
kamigh
kamigh

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/29/2014, 9:29 pm

kamigh wrote:Thanks everyone for your advice and especially Gloria for her beautiful, inspiring pictures!!!  I talked to the family again this weekend and the short story is that everyone loves the fruits of my labor but don't want to do any (more) labor to help me!  So I was pretty much given free rein to go out and get something nice.  I went looking around and a local garden center had two of these beautiful trellises so I bought them!  Not cheap, but they are pretty and will serve my function quite nicely.  My plan is to put all my vining stuff where the trellises are, and add some netting between the trellises when the vines start growing.   Here's a picture of my fledgling little garden . . . I've still got work to do and have to put some pea gravel down between the beds, but you can get the idea.

Very nice and with HOAs you have to do the best you can.  

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 3/29/2014, 10:18 pm

Spacing the trellises out and putting netting between them is a great idea. I bet that will look fantastic when the season is in full swing.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/29/2014, 11:58 pm

Very good looking set-up.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  R&R 1011 3/30/2014, 3:15 pm

kamigh wrote:Thanks everyone for your advice and especially Gloria for her beautiful, inspiring pictures!!!  I talked to the family again this weekend and the short story is that everyone loves the fruits of my labor but don't want to do any (more) labor to help me!  So I was pretty much given free rein to go out and get something nice.  I went looking around and a local garden center had two of these beautiful trellises so I bought them!  Not cheap, but they are pretty and will serve my function quite nicely.  My plan is to put all my vining stuff where the trellises are, and add some netting between the trellises when the vines start growing.   Here's a picture of my fledgling little garden . . . I've still got work to do and have to put some pea gravel down between the beds, but you can get the idea.

Where did you get the pretty corner pieces on your boxes?  I think your set up looks great so far.

Gloria, that looks beautiful!
R&R 1011
R&R 1011

Female Posts : 293

Back to top Go down

Post  kamigh 3/30/2014, 4:19 pm

R&R-
I got those corners from Plow & Hearth online.  They come four to a set, one of each bug (ladybug, dragonfly, bee, butterfly).  I bought 4 sets because eventually I'd like to have 4 beds, and I don't want to wait until next year and find out they don't have them anymore!
They also have plain ones and colored corners that have vegetable shapes.  If you buy 2 or more sets of them they are about $30/set, otherwise they are $35.
kamigh
kamigh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down