Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago! Toplef10Hello from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago! I22gcj10Hello from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago! Toplef10Hello from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago! I22gcj10Hello from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago!

4 posters

Go down

Hello from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago! Empty Hello from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago!

Post  LisaRae 3/16/2014, 1:08 am

Hi Everyone!

I am so excited to be joining this forum and learning from all of you much more experienced than I in this wonderful method!  I have been practicing traditional row gardening for a little while (but am NOT an expert by any stretch of the imagination), and have mainly had the experience that Mel describes...eventually beaten by weeds by midsummer and giving up! 

A couple years ago, I ran across Mel's book at my local bookstore.  WOW!!  I was so excited to try it!  I made three boxes, began gathering different bags for "Mel's Mix", prepared a space next to my house....and unfortunately, life interrupted! affraid 

But now I am back, have some seedlings going in my basement...and am just waiting (somewhat impatiently) for all this crazy snow to melt in my area so that I can finish what I started two years ago!!

I'm all signed up for class in April, have been devouring Belinda's YouTube videos (they're amazing!!), and can't wait to share what I learn with my grandkids, ages 8,6,5,& 3!  I've recently gotten a co-worker excited about SFGardening and would so love to put together a workshop for our homeschooling co-op too! Let the fun begin!!  Very Happy
LisaRae
LisaRae

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Hello from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago! Empty Re: Hello from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago!

Post  sanderson 3/16/2014, 3:41 am

Lisarae, Welcome to the Forum!  glad you\'re here So glad you will actually be able to start your SFG this year. Stay active on the Forum and you will learn so much about so many aspects of growing your veggies (and some fruits). Take photos of you journey and keep a journal.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Hello from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago! Empty Re: Hello from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago!

Post  recoush 3/16/2014, 8:37 am

Hello Lisarae, 

Nice to see a growing Illinois presence, will have to compare notes 
My garden is still under 24" of snow hope you are able to see your garden soon

they say we may get some more snow a little today, stay warm and think spring.
recoush
recoush

Male Posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 3/16/2014, 9:06 am

Hi Lisa and welcome.
As you stated, I also ran across Mel's SFG book and let it sit on my bookshelf for2 years.
One night I couldn't sleep so I picked it up because it had a pretty cover, only reason I purchased it was it had a gorgeous cover.
Well I read that book in 1 night, lost a nights sleep, and my life was changed overnight.
My past gardening efforts were, till soil, toss fertilizer, plant seedlings from the store, water, etc, etc.
Now I'm growing plants in my basement, 5 beds working with a large cold frame.....and all the rest.
I know your enthusiasm, isn't it great ? almost like being able to breathe again after being under water for to long.
I'll need to check on Belinda's videos, maybe interesting.

jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Hello from the Northwest Suburbs of Chicago! Empty Thanks for the welcome shout out!

Post  LisaRae 3/16/2014, 4:20 pm

Hey!  Thanks for the welcome, all!  Sanderson---great idea about journaling with pics!  I wouldn't have thought of that...I will certainly try to do that!  Jimmy cee, I really do recommend Belinda's videos, particularly because my learning style is more of a "don't tell me, SHOW ME"  I remember/learn best this way.  Recoush:  I am so glad to meet another Illinoisan here....are you in the Northwest suburbs?
LisaRae
LisaRae

Female Posts : 6

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/16/2014, 4:53 pm

LisaRae, My journal is literally a 3 hole notebook. Periodically, I print a couple of pages of small photos (9-12 per sheet), and cut and scotch tape in the journal as visual illustrations.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down