Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
COMPOST 101 - Page 15 Toplef10COMPOST 101 - Page 15 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

COMPOST 101 - Page 15 I22gcj10COMPOST 101 - Page 15 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
COMPOST 101 - Page 15 Toplef10COMPOST 101 - Page 15 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

COMPOST 101 - Page 15 I22gcj10COMPOST 101 - Page 15 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

COMPOST 101

+86
Soose
Chuck d'Argy
OhioGardener
FRED58
trolleydriver
MrBooker
Scorpio Rising
Richard L.
Razed Bed
ralitaco
ktomchik
Windmere
Stoney65
roaminroad
landarch
68carguy
gategitter
Turan
TxGramma
Marc Iverson
tomthebuilder
PabloElFlamenco
jimmy cee
lyndeeloo
WriterCPA
sanderson
yolos
Lindacol
GWN
madpiano
audrey.jeanne.roberts
greatgranny
Triciasgarden
Yardslave
Kelejan
efirvin
CapeCoddess
llama momma
cpl100
bwaynef
plantoid
Roseinarosecity
Ericka2385
floyd1440
gregrenee88
brenda g
martha
RoOsTeR
Chopper
yuliad
littlesapphire
mijejo
sherryeo
Dan R
barthie
AprilakaCCIL
TN_GARDENER
FamilyGardening
westie42
Cincinnati
LittleGardener
Bud Alexis
buttaflie143
Goosegirl
Squat_Johnson
BackyardBirdGardner
Barkie
cabinfever
Furbalsmom
boog1
madnicmom
florenceq
Old Hippie
model a man
Megan
davidclubb
quiltbea
boffer
LaFee
FarmerValerie
PJ Allen
timwardell
camprn
organicgardeningzen.com
Odd Duck
middlemamma
90 posters

Page 15 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

COMPOST 101 - Page 15 Empty Why Layer?

Post  trolleydriver 5/5/2016, 8:31 am

What is the purpose of adding compost ingredients in layers when starting a pile?  

Is it so that you get the right ratio of things?  Why not just mix things up?  Maybe I compost differently than most people. I tend to just pile in whatever is available while making sure there is not too much of one thing at a time. I toss in new things when available such as kitchen scraps which I do on a regular basis. I sometimes stir in the new things or make a hole and push them down into the existing pile. In my "black box" there are doors at the bottom through which I can remove finished compost. I expect what I am doing is cold composting. It does take some time to get finished compost although I have never measured how long.

The bottom line is that my composting technique is not very scientific ... it's more of a "make it up as you go" approach.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

COMPOST 101 - Page 15 Empty Re: COMPOST 101

Post  camprn 5/5/2016, 8:39 am

trolleydriver wrote:What is the purpose of adding compost ingredients in layers when starting a pile?  

Is it so that you get the right ratio of things?  Why not just mix things up?  Maybe I compost differently than most people. I tend to just pile in whatever is available while making sure there is not too much of one thing at a time. I toss in new things when available such as kitchen scraps which I do on a regular basis. I sometimes stir in the new things or make a hole and push them down into the existing pile. In my "black box" there are doors at the bottom through which I can remove finished compost. I expect what I am doing is cold composting. It does take some time to get finished compost although I have never measured how long.

The bottom line is that my composting technique is not very scientific ... it's more of a "make it up as you go" approach.
which works just fine. You can find your answers here at the Cornell composting web site. http://compost.css.cornell.edu/science.html

Last edited by camprn on 5/5/2016, 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

COMPOST 101 - Page 15 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 5/5/2016, 12:56 pm

sanderson wrote:
Turan wrote:. . . Less important than making a system and following it is to adapt your available space to how fast compost is happening, you are using it, and the raw materials are accumulating.  You can sieve fairly finished compost into garbage cans/bags if you need to store it.
Turan makes a good point.  Your circumstances and needs will/can determine how you will use the 3 bins.  In my tiny yard, I store the leaves in smaller cages that can actually be moved to trim the wisteria.  For you, 2 bins to flip the cooking compost back and forth with #3 for storage for either finished compost or leaves. Depends on the time of the year for leaves maybe.  Finished compost can always be stored in containers.  Just have fun trying out your new set up.  Sanderson, green with envy Wink
Thank you both. I just kept reading use a 3-bin setup, use a 3-bin setup so I thought there was more to it than that. After doing some more research and looking at what folks here do, a 3 bin setup is primarily for convenience. If you are using all your compost, then a 2 bin setup would be fine so you have somewhere specific to turn your pile. Or a single bin will work but just know that you will have to remove all the ingredients from the bin before refilling it so you will be actually turning the pile twice.
Thanks again for the input.
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1312

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/5/2016, 5:25 pm

ralitaco wrote:

Thank you both. I just kept reading use a 3-bin setup, use a 3-bin setup so I thought there was more to it than that. After doing some more research and looking at what folks here do, a 3 bin setup is primarily for convenience. 
 If I have an empty bin I feel a keen urge to fill it up.  Not able to see an empty bin sitting idle.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/5/2016, 7:01 pm

ralitaco wrote:I just kept reading use a 3-bin setup, use a 3-bin setup so I thought there was more to it than that. After doing some more research and looking at what folks here do, a 3 bin setup is primarily for convenience. If you are using all your compost, then a 2 bin setup would be fine so you have somewhere specific to turn your pile. Or a single bin will work but just know that you will have to remove all the ingredients from the bin before refilling it so you will be actually turning the pile twice.
Thanks again for the input.
Yup, that's what I think. You'll never know when you need it. You have the room. Lucky dog. Wink

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

COMPOST 101 - Page 15 Empty Storing compost materials

Post  ralitaco 5/14/2016, 12:59 pm

I plan to use the following:
Leaves - I have ran over with a mower and raked into a pile.

Horse manure - I can get 10 - 5 gallon buckets full at a time but apparently need about 20 buckets of it. If I just pile it in an empty compost bin, I am afraid it will stink really badly, so I'm wondering if I cover it with leaves or a tarp if that would help or make things smell worse?

Coffee grinds - I can store them in the shed in bags as I get them or do as JimmyCee does and just pile them on the ground

Sea weed - I can get some at the beach, but haven't done it yet. I am thinking I can lug a 5 gallon bucket or two home, but if I'm not ready to make my pile, can I just pile it on the ground? I'm thinking it may need to be spread out to keep it from becoming a gooey, smelly pile...what do y'all think?

Lastly, Kitchen scraps - I can generate a 5 gallon bucket full of veggie and fruit scraps but it takes a week or two. I don't want to keep that bucket in the house because I know it will get slimy, stinky and attract fruit flies. I know this because that happened when I left a little bucket of scraps in the laundry room for about a week. I am thinking I can use that little bucket to collect my scraps and either A. put it in a 5 gallon bucket outside or B. pile it up on the ground.

What do you experienced composters do...how do you guys store your compost materials before making the pile?
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/14/2016, 1:06 pm

Having that 3rd bin is nice.  You can store the manure and cover with leaves to keep the odor down.  East and West Coast kelp are different.  Storing for a couple days in the summer can challenge even the hardiest gardener.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/14/2016, 7:46 pm

Stopping horse muck smelling or any other animal dung & urine soaked bedding

Store it a far from other home owner as possible ,  cover it with a polythene sheet & weigh it down all round the edges ..any stinky gases releases will escape slowly and unless it is a really hot , very slow breeze sort of day no one will notice .

If your bin is actually a lidded tub with or without a bottom so much the better .
I've found over the years . It's when folks see a muck heap or a trailer load of it that they go into self righteous , indignation overdrive etc. and start moaning that it stinks.

We had one lady whine worse than a model " T "Fords back axle & gear box .. she came round banging on the door giving it big licks , foaming at the mouth  .. I needed a set of ear defenders .. the self cancelling noise type .
 She reckoned I had been causing a nuisance for the last two week with my carting manure like a common farmer.   I laughed at her .. bade her come and look around my garden etc... there was nothing there , never was that time of the year .  She was smelling the countryside aromas from the dairy farm almost two miles away on one side and when the wind changed the pig farm nearly 3/4 of a  mile away .
 When In took her to the front of my garden and pointed out that it smelt there as well as on both sides of the property she shut up quicker &  tighter than a bank clerk at closing  time.

Laughing At this address , I've  had five tones of stable muck pig , muck chicken , goose and several other animals dung gently simmering away in my seven lidded 310 litre  plastic Dalek composting bins  .
The whingeing self centered witch next door didn't know..... so it stayed quiet. Had she known she'd still be bitching five years later on . Rolling Eyes

If you want to work a heap try and do it as soon as they go out so it's all done by the time they get back and you've swept & hosed any area off that needs it .

In truth the first three days of having fresh animal dungs in the open air is the time they give of the most stink . If you can't find a big enough sheet of polythene ,  old carpeting will do fine , all it does is slow down the gases of decomposition coming out the heap .. some of the bacteria & fungi in the heap will start to absorb those trapped gases as well . Whatever you do in this storage till needed situation do not wet the manure  as it definitely will get the stink going . By the time you come to use it to mix up a new batch of MM's compost  in a week or so's time  most of the stink will have gone.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 5/15/2016, 11:42 am

Laughing Good story and advice Plantoid!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/15/2016, 11:49 am

Plantoid.
I sure love the description of neighbor. we have one...
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 5/15/2016, 11:55 am

Living on 5 acre parcels has it's advantages, lol!  I couldn't imagine trying to handle the farm wastes on a city lot.  When you mentioned moistening bringing up the stink, because we have 25 cows on our property during the winter, every foggy day is a majorly STINKY day.  The cow manure smell just hangs in the air.

Laughed all the way through your story   Laughing
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 5/15/2016, 2:50 pm

sanderson wrote:East and West Coast kelp are different.  Storing for a couple days in the summer can challenge even the hardiest gardener.
So seaweed is a use it ASAP ingredient I guess
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 5/15/2016, 2:52 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:Laughing Good story and advice Plantoid!
+1

Thank you for your insight
ralitaco
ralitaco

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/15/2016, 4:56 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:Laughing Good story and advice Plantoid!
+1

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/15/2016, 6:05 pm

ralitaco wrote:
sanderson wrote:East and West Coast kelp are different.  Storing for a couple days in the summer can challenge even the hardiest gardener.
So seaweed is a use it ASAP ingredient I guess

Depends on the seaweed. I have a green one that will just dry up and become soft like yarn, and eventually turn brittle, all with not much scent to speak of. Then I have this reddish brown ferney one that stinks to high heaven right away and later. I try not to get any of that one when harvesting the green ones unless I know it's going to be turned into the pile right away.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  FRED58 4/26/2021, 6:51 pm

I suppose this is as good a place as any to ask compost questions?

I have no fresh manure available. Is there any value in using bagged (already composted) commercially available manure in the composter? I have one of those black plastic domes.
FRED58
FRED58

Male Posts : 170

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 4/26/2021, 7:00 pm

Never used the stuff in bags but it’s probably okay to put in your garden but are you asking about using it for a new compost pile?

If so I would use a mix of greens and brown material and add water in necessary and turn the material to keep the heat up.
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/26/2021, 7:48 pm

FRED58 wrote:I have no fresh manure available. Is there any value in using bagged (already composted) commercially available manure in the composter?

There is probably some limited value in adding bagged manure compost to the compost bin, but it is unnecessary. If you have a good mixture of greens and browns in your compost bin, the microbes will break down the raw material into good quality compost without the need for composted cow manure.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

COMPOST 101 - Page 15 Empty 5 Tips To Make A Great Home Compost

Post  OhioGardener 6/7/2021, 11:32 am

TeraGanix posted a new link, titled "5 Tips To Make A Great Home Compost", which is a short, simple article on making good compost. I like this picture they use of the compost bins: COMPOST 101 - Page 15 Compos28

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/7/2021, 4:13 pm

The only thing I disagree with in the article is to introduce new organic matter into the pile. Once it is built and watered, occasional turning to introduce oxygen and to check on moisture is all that should be done. That's just me.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Yardslave likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 6/7/2021, 4:44 pm

That's because you are a Hottie, Sanderson. lol!
ralitaco
ralitaco

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/14/2021, 3:04 am

rofl

For you new folks, Ralitaco is referring to the fact that I used the Berkeley 18-day hot composting method.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 6/14/2021, 8:04 am

Thanks for the clarification
ralitaco
ralitaco

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 12/17/2021, 9:55 am

An entertaining & educational cartoon on composting, complete with a few compost-puns. This was in the kids section of the Sunday funnies. The bottom of the page shows the web page to visit for more info.

COMPOST 101 - Page 15 Compos29

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson and rdhwyalane like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/17/2021, 3:47 pm

That's good. Thank you for posting.