Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi, from Warwick, NY! Toplef10Hi, from Warwick, NY! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi, from Warwick, NY! I22gcj10Hi, from Warwick, NY! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hi, from Warwick, NY! Toplef10Hi, from Warwick, NY! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hi, from Warwick, NY! I22gcj10Hi, from Warwick, NY! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hi, from Warwick, NY!

2 posters

Go down

Hi, from Warwick, NY! Empty Hi, from Warwick, NY!

Post  LindainWarwickNY 4/28/2010, 1:35 pm

Hi, you guys! Hubby and I live in the countryside inbetween the villages of Warwick, NY and Florida, NY. I love gardening, but have been distracted a lot by impromptu travels across the country. This year I hope to stay put more! I received an advertisement for Mel's book in the mail and was very interested in the concept of vertical gardening. We sent away for the book and had some questions about what greenleaf mold was. Thought he must have a web site, looked on the back of the book and found you guys!

I am in the process of looking through the site and absorbing all of the info. The book that I ordered was an older book that mentioned about how to make the different types of fertilizer. I'm so happy that I discovered this site and now realize we don't have to go that route.

In our neck of the woods we have a lot of deer and we had already put a very tall fence around our vegetable garden area. At first I thought I could make 4x4 garden spots in my standing ground by careful placing of walking planks, but now I think having the raised beds might be a good idea and using Mel's formula for mixing the growing medium and filling the forms with that. We have groundhogs, or woodchucks here. I think I'll put some chicken wire underneath the frames to keep them from burrowing right up in the middle of them. Believe me, they will! They had already burrowed into my original vegetable garden. I'm going to try to control that problem by putting the chicken wire down even under my walking planks. I recently purchased a bottle of powder that one can shake down that is suppose to keep them away along with the deer, but upon reading the label more closely, I don't think it is a good idea to use it since I have grandchildren who visit and it doesn't sound safe for them or near edible plants. So, just manually trying to keep them out with the chickenwire on the ground is hopefully going to work. Naughty little pests! Actually, they are getting pretty fat as the years roll by!

I'm trying to gather material together to put in my compost bin. We unfortunately have a few walnut trees on the property and have just learned they absolutely can't be used in compost or they will kill your tomatoes. I'll have to be more careful to only use the leaves from the locust trees. The pods from the locust trees are really a menace. After the locust blooms, the blossoms and pods fly in the wind and land everywhere. New trees try to spring up everywhere they land. I have to repeated pull them up in my garden. I have recently had husband cut one tree that was hanging over our garden spot. One year I tried to keep them out with clear plastic but it took away the lovely look of my garden, so I ended up taking it down. I think it might be easier to grab them using the SFG way. The ground I'm not using will have wide planks on them, so it will be easier to sweep the pods up on them. The ones that get onto the SFG, I will try to pick up as quick as can be and will be able to reach them from all four sides.

Well, it is so fun being here with all of my new fellow gardeners and learning from Mel and all of you! LindainWarwickNY
LindainWarwickNY

Female Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Hi, from Warwick, NY! Empty Re: Hi, from Warwick, NY!

Post  WardinWake 4/28/2010, 8:13 pm

LindainWarwickNY wrote:Hi, you guys! Hubby and I live in the countryside inbetween the villages of Warwick, NY and Florida, NY. I love gardening, LindainWarwickNY

Welcome fellow gardening lover. So glad to have you here. What have.will you be planting this year? Mel likes having flowers in the garden with the veggies. Will you be planting any flowers?

A most hardy welcome and hope you post often.

God Bless, Ward.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum