Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 Toplef10SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 I22gcj10SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 Toplef10SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 I22gcj10SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG in a mediterranean climate

+5
camprn
walshevak
sanderson
kauairosina
chloeasha
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 Empty Re: SFG in a mediterranean climate

Post  chloeasha 2/28/2014, 12:28 am

Ohh, good question Marc!  I hadn't even thought about that.  They do have newspapers, although most people read the news online.  I think the Jordan Times though is fairly available in cities (not our potential village though). 

Sanderson-- Well hopefully I don't have to actually work haha!  But that's what I did when I first worked there for 2 field seasons, so my Arabic is odd.  Razz
chloeasha
chloeasha

Back to top Go down

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 Empty Re: SFG in a mediterranean climate

Post  FamilyGardening 2/28/2014, 12:46 am

with your lack of water Mulch, Mulch, Mulch.....I know it sounds crazy.....stones can be used as mulch too....if you have a lot of stones you could screen out the dirt and use stones as mulch to hold in the moisture  Very Happy 

anything to cover the soil will work as mulch, leaves, grass clippings, straw, shredded paper and cardboard......

you might want to look into any farming that might be in the area, they may have used straw and manure from animal beds that you can compost and use.....also any area resteraunts that would be willing to give you veggie waste for your compost.....

start out small.....and build on it as you get your own compost going, so its not so overwhelming at first  Very Happy 

im sure you will get creative and have a wonderful garden!.....please keep us posted and we all love pictures!

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/28/2014, 12:48 am

If the soil is alkali, maybe a compost with citrus could help neutralize it.

http://tylerstorey.blogspot.com/2009/03/composting-citrus-and-citrus-peels.html

You may have to get creative making compost in Jordan:  (I would leave out the toenail and fingernail clipping!)

http://www.plantea.com/compost-materials.htm
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  chloeasha 2/28/2014, 12:23 pm

Thanks Rose!  Not any use of hay for animal beds or restaurants in the area, but I am sure I'll manage a compost pile out of our own waste.  I had actually thought about doing a small layer of raked earth as mulch.  That has been shown to be very water retentive as well as weed-preventative.  I've used stone in the past as well.  Not a lot of straw or anything there, and no one has lawns for grass clippings.  Actually, one of our things to look for will be to see if we can even find a lawnmower in the country.  Since everyone is plowing to control weeds, it makes more sense to try to mow in the orchards than plow.  May not be any mowers though at a reasonable price.

Sanderson-- I had thought the same thing!  Citrus is everywhere and I thought citrus may help correct the soil a bit.  Also everyone has a ton of coffee waste.  I may not be able to collect anyone else's coffee grounds (and not being a coffee or tea person myself that halves our waste), but I can surely collect my husband's.
chloeasha
chloeasha

Back to top Go down

Post  chloeasha 2/28/2014, 2:36 pm

I thought it may help people visualize it more if I showed kind of the property we'd get and its general area in winter spring and then summer Smile

So first some winter shots.  the first pic is of the hilltop we're looking at building on.

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 112

The second through 7th are all shots from that hilltop in winter in all directions.  The green "grass" is wheat.

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 210

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 211

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 410

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 510

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 610

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 710

You can see some things like the Roman olives, new olives, native oaks, and other stuff.
chloeasha
chloeasha

Back to top Go down

Post  chloeasha 2/28/2014, 2:39 pm

Here are some early and late summer shots including the same wheat field and the Roman olives amongst other things.  They are called that since they are a bit over/under 2000 years old.

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 2_110

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 2_210

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 310

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 411
chloeasha
chloeasha

Back to top Go down

Post  chloeasha 2/28/2014, 2:40 pm

And this is what is on the back side of the hill.

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 314_5510

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 314_5511

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 314_5512

It's not been deforested quite as much, although still has some deforesting issues.  The whole area has had a lot of trees but down-- it was once all forest.
chloeasha
chloeasha

Back to top Go down

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 Empty wonderful pictures of your new home

Post  kauairosina 2/28/2014, 3:48 pm

and coffee grounds are really terrific, high nitrogen,like grass clippings.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  chloeasha 2/28/2014, 4:01 pm

Yes!  That's what I thought too Smile
chloeasha
chloeasha

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/28/2014, 7:24 pm

What a beautiful hill.  I didn't get to see any green while I was in Jordan, summer time.

Just a thought and one I'm hoping to try here.  Will the local farmer let you have some of the wheat straw after harvest.  I'm hoping for rice straw.  Browns for the compost pile.  Even in the US straw is a good addition to the pile.  

This may be a dumb question, but what do they do with the olive mash after pressing for oil?  Does it have a special use or can it add to the compost.

Are you planning to keeps goats for milk, meat and manure?  and lawn mower service Laughing 
Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  chloeasha 2/28/2014, 8:30 pm

LOL well that particular local farmer was my husband and his wheat field.  But his sister who has a farm may let us have some things like that.  Farmers generally prefer to till it under though.

That area gets more brown in the summer, but still remains kind of green.  it was much greener than Amman and South or East.  More like Ajloun.

I've asked about the olive mash before and he said he didn't know but thought it would be so culturally nuts to ask lol.  I planned on working on that one Razz

No, no goats.  We wouldn't have the space, I'm allergic to mammal meat anyway, and no way could I kill something-- or even let it go.  So it would become a multiplying herd lol.  I want a few chickens though (no rooster) and that could be a slowly increasing flock as I need to bring in fresh layers.
chloeasha
chloeasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 2/28/2014, 11:49 pm

Beautiful pictures. One of my dreams is to be in the north of Jordan when the wild tulips bloom.
A Jordanian I once knew told me about his family garden. They were making lowered bed areas, sort of like waffle gardens. His problem was that he was now in Ohio and just could not stand to change this style and so had too much moisture in his beds. I think he was from further south though.

It sounds like a great challenge and surely well doable. I hope you keep us updated.

O! you might be interested in the keyhole garden ideas. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t14093-keyhole-gardens-think-it-would-work?highlight=keyhole+gardens

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2619

Back to top Go down

Post  chloeasha 3/1/2014, 7:50 am

Walshevak-- I asked again and he said he found out about the olive mash last time he went.  They now compress it into bricks and sell it as fuel.  So it's no longer an option.

Turan-- I haven't ever seen the tulips, but in his area they have a lot of cyclamen and anemones as well as some iris and lilies.  I've also seen squill bloom and that was nice.  Smile

Yeah, I didn't see any waffle gardening there so it may have been further south.  I had thought about it and wondered if that was better.. but then it would seem in winter it could flood too much.  They keyhole idea is interesting.  All the areas they mentioned as doing it actually get quite a bit of rain in the off season (like S. Africa, Lesotho, and that area in Sudan-- those are all 30"+ areas which may be why they raise them.  I noticed they are still putting water in them during the summer.  Very interesting concept!
chloeasha
chloeasha

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/1/2014, 1:58 pm

Sounds like my mothers garden in the spring gone wild..... gorgeous. I was told to look for tulips along the old road to Jarash especially. Sigh, right now we have a blizzard outside, I wish I was in Jordan searching for wild flowers.

Can you get the chaff from combining the wheat? That would make a good mulch unless there are too many weed seeds, then into the compost. Coffee grounds for compost and just dig straight in as a nitrogen source. Cardboard is good too. Dust works well too though the Dust Bowl taught us the down side of that.

My guess is that you will find a meeting spot of traditional methods that are adapted already to growing things through the dry season and French Intensive/SFG.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2619

Back to top Go down

Post  chloeasha 3/1/2014, 2:50 pm

Turan-- I agree.  I think it will end up being a meeting point as obviously some of the traditional methods are destructive, yet some have merit.  I told my husband about the sunken beds and he really liked that idea and thought we should try it on one or two and see how that worked out.  He mentioned they do build barriers around newly planted trees to hold water, but that was it.

Re: the chaff from combined wheat-- they don't combine their own-- there is one or two people in the area who you pay to come out and harvest.  They basically strip the fields and get everything out of it.  So it's not exactly the same.  What is left they try to keep to plow under.  Or so that's how my husband explained it to me.  I think if you did you own you could muster something though, but we wouldn't have enough for the tractor guy to bother to come out.  And yes, the fields are full of weeds. Sad  Lots of thistles.

Oh yes-- Jerash is maybe an hour or so south east from where we would be.  Even Irbid is drier than the area we would be in!  A bit hotter as well.  Maybe the tulips need a drier climate.  I'll have to ask when I get home.  Usually he just shrugs and is like "I don't know" and then like 5 months later insists he knew that answer and never did that.  I believe it's selective listening Razz
chloeasha
chloeasha

Back to top Go down

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 Empty selective listening

Post  kauairosina 3/1/2014, 3:06 pm

You hit a chord there!!
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  chloeasha 3/1/2014, 3:11 pm

LOL!  Yes, I think lots of us deal with that (and probably do it too!) Smile
chloeasha
chloeasha

Back to top Go down

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 Empty Wheat Chaff

Post  Goosegirl 3/2/2014, 5:54 pm

A word of caution trying to use wheat chaff for mulch. Unless it is an organic source or you know the farmer it comes from to get the details, beware that many wheat farmers spray the crop with Round-Up about a week before harvest to kill the weeds (the wheat is already dead if it is ready for harvest). A common practice in this area.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  chloeasha 3/2/2014, 6:25 pm

That isn't a worry.  There is no commercial farming in that area, and even though cost of living is the same as several US cities, people live on a couple hundred dollars/month.  No one can afford to even think about stuff like Round-Up let alone buy it Smile
chloeasha
chloeasha

Back to top Go down

SFG in a mediterranean climate - Page 2 Empty round up argghhh

Post  kauairosina 3/2/2014, 8:23 pm

That is a blessing.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2