Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fertilizer Toplef10Fertilizer 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fertilizer I22gcj10Fertilizer 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Fertilizer Toplef10Fertilizer 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Fertilizer I22gcj10Fertilizer 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Fertilizer

3 posters

Go down

Fertilizer Empty Fertilizer

Post  kkalasa 4/27/2010, 7:37 pm

So I know that fertilizer is not supposed to be needed with Mel's Mix. But...this is my first year gardening and I built and filled my box with dirt before I read all of Mel's book. So my dirt is a mess of composted manure, a little vermiculite and peat moss.

I keep having visions of my first tomato plant years ago that only produced a single tomato. It kinda freaked me out and I wouldn't even eat it.

I have a good amount of lettuce growing and I have peas growing out of control. I have a couple of flowers on the peas but I keep having nightmares of that tomato and I'm afraid my plants won't produce any fruit. (I also planted radishes in the early spring and they never produced a bulb.)

So I bought some organic Miracle gro today but I don't really know what to do with it. Fertilizer 601593 My plants are already in the ground so I can't just mix it into the soil, do I try working some in with my fingers?

Can anyone give advise on fertilizer-I really have no idea. Fertilizer Icon_wink Fertilizer Icon_question Fertilizer Icon_neutral
kkalasa

Back to top Go down

Fertilizer Empty Re: Fertilizer

Post  timwardell 4/27/2010, 9:08 pm

First of all, there could have been any number of reasons that tomato plant that haunts you only had one tomato on it. Some years just aren't good for tomatoes. That said, I think you'll find the consensus here on the Forum is, "Don't Fertilize" because with a properly made Mel's Mix there really is no need. However, since you admit you jumped the gun and don't have a proper Mel's Mix in your raised beds your soil may very well be lacking in some essential nutrients.

In a traditional row garden, Tomatoes are typically fertilized BEFORE, DURING and AFTER. By that I mean that about 2-3 weeks before you plant the soil should be prepped with a balanced fertilizer (like 10-10-10). After you put your transplants in the ground a dose of water soluble fertilizer is often applied. After fruit has set (once you start seeing green tomatoes), fertilizer is applied every 2-3 weeks. This is often a slow release granular fertilizer with a high phosphorous content (like 10-20-10). (And people think making Mel's Mix ONE TIME is too much work and too expensive. Imagine messing with all this fertilizer EACH and EVERY YEAR! ... but I digress.)

What type of fertilizer did you buy? Is it granular? Water soluble? How do the directions say to apply it and how often? What's the number on it? (5-10-15, etc.?) Those 3 numbers refer to the amount of Nitorogen (N), Phosphorous (P), and Potassium (K) in the fertilizer. Each serves a different purpose.
* Nitrogen (N): Promotes leafy top growth.
* Phosphorous (P): Promotes root and fruit development.
* Potassium (K): Promotes general durability, disease resistance and cold hardiness.
Thus, if your plants have set fruit and you want to promote fruit development, you'll want a fertilizer with a higher middle number.

Yes, this can all be very confusing but with a properly made Mel's Mix you don't need to know any of it.

If you want to fertilize I suggest you read and follow the directions on the label of the Miracle Grow you purchased. I'm guessing it's a general all purpose veggie fertilizer with all 3 numbers either equal or within 2 or 3 of each other.

Hope this helps.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/27/2010, 9:40 pm

+ 1 what Tim said. I would also suggest you do standard testing of your soil. see this link for a simplified description of required soil components for good garden results. Small home test kits may be purchased at your local garden center or contact your county Cooperative Extension Agent for more information.

Last edited by camprn on 4/27/2010, 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling correction)
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  kkalasa 4/27/2010, 9:48 pm

Thanks, I think I will try the soil testing before I use the fertilizer.

Any thoughts on "fixing" my soil, can I start mixing in proper Mel's mix as I harvest? I have about 4 inches left at the top of my box, should I just wait and fill that space in next year?
kkalasa

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 4/27/2010, 9:53 pm

If it was me, I would add the Mel's Mix by square as things move along during the season. If nothing else, I would topdress or add compost directly into the soil. Good luck!
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down