Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes? - Page 2 Toplef10What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes? - Page 2 I22gcj10What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes? - Page 2 Toplef10What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes? - Page 2 I22gcj10What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes?

+16
cheyannarach
Triciasgarden
NowWeAreFour
cricket
Goosegirl
Kelejan
mschaef
audrey.jeanne.roberts
sanderson
kauairosina
CapeCoddess
Marc Iverson
tagyourit
R&R 1011
boffer
camprn
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes?

Post  camprn 2/18/2014, 9:23 pm

One mistake I am really trying to overcome is something I do almost every year. Sowing seeds indoors too early. This year I will not do that (she says again). What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes? - Page 2 1280598131 

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes?

Post  H_TX_2 2/19/2014, 12:38 pm

I did a lot of reading about gardening and finally decided to go with the SFG method. I went to purchase compost, peat and vermiculite and was sure to get 5 different types or sources for my MM. While I was at the big home store to purchase some of my materials I just happened to see the SFG book and I thought I might as well get it since that is what I will be doing. I thought I understood the method behinds Mel's Mix because I had 1 type of vermiculite, 2 different brands of peat and 2 different brands of composted cow manure. I thought I was successful in getting 5 different types. I had a beautiful garden full of green leaves but not much produce from that first year. I did start reading the book and couldn't put it down until I finished. I finally came to realize I needed 5 different types of compost and I only had one. I have been amending it ever since.

I am looking forward to when I build two more boxes and get to make MM correct right from the start.
H_TX_2
H_TX_2

Male Posts : 288

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/19/2014, 1:21 pm

H_TX_2 these experiences are the best way to learn because you will not make those same mistakes again.
But of course there are dozens of other mistakes from which to learn. I know.  Very Happy 
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 2/19/2014, 4:43 pm

camprn wrote:One mistake I am really trying to overcome is something I do almost every year. Sowing seeds indoors too early. This year I will not do that (she says again). What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes? - Page 2 1280598131 

I do this too  Embarassed
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 2/19/2014, 6:01 pm

I have had pretty good results with worm poo tea, and decided it was time to brew some compost tea up and see what it was like. My compost pile was pretty spent by that time, so I picked up a small load of compost from the municipal dump's composting outlet. I used the same proportions as the worm tea and gave it the usual three day steeping time, and ladled it out to my roses and potted flowers- just to see what it would do. To my surprise the potted plants withered down and dropped leaves, the roses' leaves turned brown and the plants went into dormancy in a few weeks- they looked like I just sprayed them with herbicides! I called the composters to see if anyone else was complaining and they (naturally) said NO. I decided to check the Ph with a meter and it registered 4.5!!! I'm so glad I didn't use it on my veggie beds. I used the remainder to kill the weeds in my driveway and tossed the offending compost out in the abandoned field in front of my property. Something like this happened to me once before when I used some lawn trimmings donated by my neighbor. He didn't tell me that he used a weed-and-feed fert on the lawn  Evil or Very Mad
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

What are some of your most memorable garden mistakes? - Page 2 Empty municipal compost

Post  kauairosina 2/19/2014, 7:56 pm

One of the reasons I don't use our free county compost.  No telling what is in there.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 2/19/2014, 9:13 pm

Several years ago, I obtained some of this stuff in the Los Angeles area.

Subsequently, I planted bulbs in that space,

Well, out of 40 bulbs (tulips), about three grew, and one bloomed.

After that experience, I dug out the area, put down some weed cloth, and added Mel's Mix.

Result: Shrubs and vines grew, despite lack of sunshine. Not to mention transplanted kale and a clematis. I even grew a potato in that area, which produced the largest spud I've ever grown!
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 2/20/2014, 12:37 am

I can mention one thing I did a lot of last year -- trying to train tomato plant branches just a little too much. Often right after the point where I had started bending them, everything yellowed and died. I usually have a gentle touch, or so I thought. I guess not. Lost quite a few branches that way.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Pollinator 2/20/2014, 9:55 am

Back in my early gardening years, I mucked out the duck pond, and, figuring it would be good fertilizer, I put it on the garden.

My sweet corn went 12 feet high and produced mightily. But the tomatoes, squash and other things made enormous and beautiful plants with nary a blossom until late in the season. We picked hundreds of green tomatoes just before the frost and had them ripening all over the house that fall.

I realized too late that the duck poo in the pond muck was too good a fertilizer. It was very high in nitrogen - which the corn loved - but it suppressed bloom in the other garden veggies, so that they bloomed late in the season and greatly reduced our harvestable crop.

A little is a good thing. Too much is TOO MUCH!
Pollinator
Pollinator

Male Posts : 445

http://gardensouth.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2